Birmingham, AL
University of Alabama at Birmingham

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Alabama at Birmingham

Norma

I skipped my senior year using dual-credit classes at my local University. But if I could go back and talk to myself at that point in my life I would tell the younger me to focus less on work and more on school. The money I made at the time didn't last, and the plays that I acted in only brought drama into my life. I would tell myself that if I would only apply myself to Psychology, that I would enjoy my school work(the way I do now), and feel like I accomplished something instead of starting over nearly from scratch. I wish that I could say what happiness I feel NOW when doing schoolwork and internships, so that I could understand that everything doesn't have to be overwhelming.

Viniqua

UAB is very diverse, clean, and has a great atmosphere but, there arent many stares around like walmart.

My classmates are all very outgoing and willing to learn more everyday but, there are some that has that "I just don't care attitude."

I would definately tell myself that I really should have paid more attention my senior year, even though I came out at the top of my class, I had 'senioritis' and just didn't care. I'd tell myself that studying is the key, I can't party all night and plan on taking a test that I tried to study for a few hours before the test and expect to pass. That does not work in college. Also, learn to manage my time wisely. I always find myself saying there arent enough hours in a day but it is only because I don't really didn't learn time management until I got to college. Last thing is do not try to work a full time and go to school fulltime like in high school, it does not work!

Personally, I love UAB. The only thing I would even consider changing is the fact that there are not many over street passes so that students can navigate the urban campus easier. I think that UAB sticks out from most colleges because it is not your traditional campus. Most people think that UAB is a commuter college still, but honestly it has grown into a real college, meaning that we have the traditional quad-like area and that people interact with one another on the campus. I really like that UAB offers many different honors programs and helps students to prepare for higher education.

UAB students are very diverse. There are groups of all kinds on campus: LGBT, leadership, Asian, Indian, African American, and even video gamers. We come from all walks of life, all different backgrounds. You see people from many different religious backgrounds and also people from different areas of the nation. I have friends from UAB from all kinds of different groups. I like to think that UAB's diversity is what sets it apart from other universities.

Although a lot of the classes are larger in size, the professors knew my name. It is a matter of whether or not you take the time to introduce your self to them. I have also been in very small classes and never spoken to the professors. All in all, the professors are very accessible and happy to help you. The academic program at UAB is kind of tedious, but in the end you will have a greater knowledge base and will be more prepared for grad school or professional school. I think that academically UAB is a very competitive school, but in the end that helps to prepare students for the real world, where they will have to compete for jobs.

Sara

UAB is a fully committed research university that provides many opportunities to undergraduate and graduate students alike.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would encourage myself to look into other scholarship options and try to get a job that could support my education.

The food options are very restrictive and hours are often restricted to less than 21 hours per semester per student.

Indigo

What is unique about University of Alabama at Birmingham compared to other school is it very diverse, community involved, and innovative. No matter what activity or campus event you are involved, you will always take something new away from the experiences. UAB is always pushing it students to reach their full potential and to successful people in society.

The advice I would give myself as a high school senior is prepare more for college courses, be more involved, and talk to more people. Do not think the friends that you talk to in high school will be your friend in college. People change and you will meet new people at college. I would also tell myself not to be so stressed about going to college because, it will be an exciting experience and you will learn alot about yourself and other people.

The type of person that should attend University of Alabma at Birmingham is a person who is ready to learn and open minded. This person should not come to this school just to party but to get a great education and be prepared for life.

I would tell myself that the most expensive school, like ivy league or private, is not always the best choice. Before I finally decided to attend UAB, I wanted to go to Vanderbilt University. I loved the setting and the professors from when I took a summer program called PAVE. Now, I feel like I made the perfect decision to attend UAB because I am already in an honors college, president of a club, and on the Dean's List. I feel so comfortable in Birmingham knowing that I have scholarships to pay for my tuition and housing. Also, I would tell myself to learn my study habits before I attend college. In high school, I studied everyday after school and completed all of my homework. Now in college, I do homework in the mornings, afternoons, and mostly nighttime. My schedule is always different each semester, and sometimes I have morning classes or night classes. By learning my study habits, I will find the best time for me to study. If I had known that earlier, I would not have experimented for weeks in my freshman year trying to learn the part of the day I study the best.

At UAB, students need to be on schedule and not procrastinate. Although there is more free time in college, students need to learn how to manage their time and keep up with all of their classes and homework. It can get frustrating and confusing if you are not the kind of person who keeps a schedule. Every class can have homework due on a different date, and you need to make sure that you acknowledge every deadline. If you are not organized, do not keep your time managed, nor study, then UAB is not for you.

At the University of Alabama at Birmingham, I am in the honors college because I got accepted into the Science and Technology Honors Program. When people ask me what I enjoy about going to UAB, I brag about how I am in the honors college and how I have a close family all four years. Most of my classes and organizations are centered around the Sci-Tech Program, and I highly encourage upcoming freshman to apply. Whenever I need help with homework or advice, I look up to my family in Sci-Tech.

Tiffiany
Tell us about the food and dining options.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

There are two major areas to eat on campus: the HUC (Hill University Center) and the Commons. I prefer the HUC simply because it is closer to all of my classes. The HUC has three different options in the cafeteria, The Grill, Chik-fil-A, and Taco Bell. The Grill is my personal favorite, It has different main courses every day ranging from beef tips and rice to turkey and dressing with all kinds of stuff between. Then they offer around four different vegetables every day. So if you are trying to eat a bit healthier, I would eat at the Grill. Also at the Grill, things like hamburgers, veggie burgers, and philly's can be ordered on the spot. Chik-fil-A usually has a long line, but it usually goes pretty fast. Taco Bell always has line and it always takes forever. But everything is made to order, so you are basically waiting on freshness, which is good. There are also items in the cold case like salads, fruit, and sandwiches. There are always fresh bananas and apples available as well if you are just wanting a quick snack. At the Commons, they have a better variety of foods. They have everything from a salad bar to pizza. The salad bar is great because it has several different toppings, dressings, and so on. The Commons also has a place to order burgers on the spot. As to which place is better really depends on who you ask. I prefer the HUC for many reasons, like it is closer, I like to at the Grill, and the Commons is too loud for me. However, the HUC has less options. But either way, the food is always good. On campus beside Snoozy's (a book store) is a Subway. This Subway always seems to be packed out, but the sandwiches are never bad. There is one down side to Subway, it doesn't take Dinning Dollars or Meal Plan. Subway only accepts Blazer Bucks. (Dinning Dollars are added to your account if you are taking at least 12 credit hours and you can use them at the HUC, the Commons, and StarBucks. The meal plan is actually a plan that you purchase. And Blazer Bucks is money that you can load onto your ID Card.) Al's is right off capmus down 10th street. Al's is open 24/7 and has wonderful food. My personal favorite is the BBQ Chicken Baker. Another popular favorite is the Chicken Fingers and Fries. I have had both and they taste great! It is not expensive and almost the same as eating everywhere else. But it also depends on what is ordered. Al's also takes Blazer Bucks. These are the closest and most popular eating places on campus. I hope you enjoy the food!

What do students complain about most?

Students complain about parking. Me and my friend Taylor use to carpool and we made the joke, "We prayed to the Parking Lot Gods for a parking spot." However, parking has gotten better since UAB has built a new parking lot and added to two levels to the parking deck. But, one parking lot is about to get demoed and the new Humanities Building is going to be built there. I have had many many classes in the Humanities Building, and it does need to be rebuilt. But the question is how will UAB replace that parking lot? Otherwise, we are going to be in the same mess we were before, too many students and not enough parking.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I chose UAB for several reasons. First, UAB is a highly ranked school and has strong academic standings in many fields. Next, it is within driving distance. It is a thirty to forty five minute drive, but it is the closest university. Also, its flexible schedule allows me to be able to work and go to school. Also, whereas it is a good school, it is not as expensive as some universities can be. Plus the campus is nice, clean, and safe. UAB also provides many commodities for its students like the Rec Center, the Wellness Center, mini parks, and so on. So UAB was the perfect fit for me!

Ryan

Another great thing about UAB is the location--Birmingham. Birmingham can't be compared to New York or Atlanta, but attractions and big events are no strangers to Alabama's largest city; and the UAB campus sits in the heart of it all. However, aside from the city life, the campus has an authentic "college town" feel to it. Also, basketball season is huge as the Blazers continue to get closer to a National Title.

One of the best things about UAB is the diversity. Despite the wide range of personalities, everyone tends to get along just fine. However, every student can count on finding someone who he/she has a lot in common with because UAB students come from all types of backgrounds. Making friends is an easy task here, which is always encouraging for students who may become homesick. Prior to attending UAB, I experienced minimal diversity at school and thought that this experience was something that I wasn't going to be able to adjust to. However, I love and appreciate how I've become more comfotable, and enjoy, being around people of different ethnicities. In addition most students here are goal-oriented, which had a positive affect on myself and will do for others.

UAB is commonly known for its challenging Medical School, which is ranked among the best in America. Therefore, it's common to see a lot of determined students wearing scrubs to their classes. Another stereotype at UAB is the greek life. The school has nearly 20 greek organizations on campus and annually hosts the Camille Armstrong Step Show, which is a widely-known event where greeks from "all over" participate.

Courtney

I think it is an amazing school. The way it is structured is great. It is a very large campus in a great location. The students are friendly and so are the professors. I think anyone who decides to attend UAB would be very happy with their decision!

I think the thing that is most unique about our campus is it's in the center of our city. Birmingham is the largest city in Alabama and we are located downtown in the center of it all. There are so many things to do. There are places to shop, many places to eat great food, and places to go have a good time with friends.

Someone who has never seen my school would at first think it is very large. This is absolutely true. It is a very large campus that is in downtown Birmingham. We have many buildings usually devoted to a certain subject area, such as a Chemistry Building, a Humanities Building, a building for the arts, a building for social sciences, etc. A person who has never seen our school would also think it is very beautiful. The architecture is pretty cool. We also have many recreational areas on campus such as a huge area of land called "The Green" where students have picnics, play frisbee, and all sorts of other fun things.

What are your classes like?

My classes are pretty great. I don't like taking long classes, therefore I usually choose to take Monday, Wednesday, Friday classes. Those classes only last 50 minutes because they are 3 times a week. Classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays however last about an hour and 45 minutes. My professers are pretty cool and they love making sure their students are doing well.

There are many clubs and organizations that students can join on campus. There are also fraternities and sororities of course. There are also many festivities that are held year round so students can really enjoy themselves on campus.

The students are very diverse. UAB is one the most culturally diverse universities in the United States. The students are also very intelligent and kind. You will make many friends at this school.

Most classes have around 30 students. There are a few classes that are very large but only a few. All of my professors know me by name. There are many different majors offered here so you will find what you're looking for.

I don't think there is a stereotype about students at my school. I haven't heard any since I've been here.

Keith

The typical stereotype at UAB is that most students are nursing majors and all we do is talk medical jargon. However, I have found that there is a larger majority of geeks, nerds, hip/hop listeners, and all sorts of other types of students along those lines. Most students I run across are majors in some sort of technology field like Computer Science, MIS, or Engineering. There is more to UAB than just nurses and doctors. We are what make UAB so fun.

University of Alabama at Birmingham administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.