Birmingham, AL
University of Alabama at Birmingham

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Alabama at Birmingham

Jacob
College Freshman 2017-2018

College Freshman 2017-2018

Myriah
UAB Blazers

UAB Blazers

UAB is a excellent school. There are a diversity of people that attend. It is well-known for its academics and beautiful campus. UAB is also located in a good place. There are a lot of businesses and food places nearby.

Christopher

Good education, but greedy. President Watts decided to shut down the football program in the 2014/2015 year, and promised the extra funds would go towards students quality of life, but the only thing I've seen it go towards is the extra dorm they are building. I was expecting better scholarships (as in an increase in funds), but nothing that has helped the students so far has come around.

Katlyn

UAB has to be best know for the hospitial. Although it does offer a large variety of majors and minors it has to be best known for its medical aspect.

Please actually pay attention in class and study. Find out your study habits, good and bad, and build on the good and beat away the bad. It will not be as simple as high school so don't kid yourself. Get prepared! Classes will be different so learn to take better notes and then learn to use them to help memorize the material. When you get there, don't be afraid to ask for help. If you need it ask, you will be there to learn not already know it but they do expect you to learn quickly. It will be kind of scary at first but if you work out a schedule and try your best, you should be alright.

Someone that isn't ready to work hard and study most of their free time. If they are that kind of person that is lazy and a procrastinator they might very well need to reconsider. Also someone who likes personal, one on one, time. Most of the classes are pretty big so that one on one is hard to come by.

Ashlee

My classmates are a group of diverse people. There are people of all races and ethnic backgrounds. My classmates are what makes my school such a wonderful place to atten. There are opportunities to learn at every corner out other cultures and ways of life without even stepping into a classroom.

If i could go back and talk to myself as a senior in highschool. I would tell myself to enjoy

At first glance there isn't much wrong with my school it's located in the heart of a beautiful city, the professors are top notch, and there is abundance of school spirit. Unfortuately the last statement isn't as true as it originally was. Since out football program was taken away the lack of school spirit has taken much of the joy out of UAB.

Khari

UAB is greatly known for it's amzaing medical and business programs, the great vibe of the campus, and the small city vibe of the campus.

Dear Khari, I know you're freaking out right now about all the excitement that is senior year, and I can totally understand why, I've been there. But take some time to relax and appreciate how amazing this moment is. Senior year is one of the most exciting times of your life and I hope that you're making the best of it. I know you feel pretty bummed out about not getting any of the scholarships you applied for, or not getting the highest ACT score out of all your friends, but remember, none of that measures your worth as a person. When you get to UAB you'll meet plenty of other kids just like you, and not getting the scholarships you wanted then just serves as motivation to keep trying for the future. You'll get a scholarship some day. You're still a smart, beautiful, and amazing young girl, and I'm just as proud of you then, as I am of us now. You learn that UAB was a great choice for you, and you don't regret your choice at all. Keep up the good work girl. Love you. - Khari

I talk about how much I love the dorms on campus, and the overall campus itself. For it to be in the middle of the city, there is so much green space, and many options of places to eat. I never feel bored on campus since there is so much to do, and the school seems to really care about how its students are doing. I also brag about how awesome the atmopshere and diversity is on campus. There are people from everywhere at UAB which is awesome for making friends.

Savannah

UAB is located right next to the Birmingham hospital. Therefore, most students are enrolled as a Biology major. Attending UAB means many connections to the hospital and a competative graduate program. Because our graduate program is so competative, it pushes students to be the best that they can possibly be. When only the top students make it out of the graduate program, it means that UAB makes the most advanced doctors in the country.

Going into college, I was leaving all my friends behind. My greatest fear was that I was not going to be accepted by others the way that I was accepted by my old friends. I was afraid because I do not drink or go to parties, and college was known for its parties. I didn't want to become someone I wasn't. I wanted to be loved and accepted no matter what my actions were. If I could go back and talk to my high school self, I would tell myself to trust in God more and to not worry because I am not by myself. When I got to college I realized that many other students prefer not to drink. I was blessed with an abundance of friends who stayed home and studied with me on a friday night. I wish I could go back and make myself less stressed as a high school senior because now I know that college is going to be the best years of my life.

People that cannot comfortably keep at least a 2.5 GPA should not attend UAB. This University is far advanced from the community colleges that students go to after they barely passed high school. All classes - even classes that most people would expect to be easy - require hours of study time weekly. However, if you are passionate about your degree like I am, then UAB is the best choice because the teachers want to help you succeed and will try to make learning easier for their students.

Christina

The most unique attribute to UAb is that the school is very diverse. There are people from all walks of life that choose to attend this institution of higher learning.

If I could go back in time and offer advice to my former self, I would definitely tell my high school self to be prepared and focused for college. I believe that many people initially think of college as the chance to be free and therefore, do not have limits. The person I am now, older and a bit wiser, would tell my younger self that the main objective for attending college is to obtain a degree to have a greater chance of securing the success of my future. I would put much emphasis on this when speaking to my high school self.

the worst thing about UAB is that they have recently decided to get rid of the football team. The academics are great at UAB, but sports related activity are a very popular interest of college or intended college students.

Julie

Don't take everything so seriously. Be ready to laugh at yourself. Don't spill your life story to everyone you talk to. Be cautious until you really get to know someone. Don't overreact when someone hurts you. At best, you'll have to apologize to someone. At worst, you'll lose a friend. Don't worry about how many friends you have. Not everyone can be a social butterfly. It is best not to get loaded at parties. Alcohol makes people stupid. Be kind to yourself even if other people aren't. Remember why you are there (at college): to learn. Homework and studying ALWAYS come first.

Their email system. The email addresses for the individual departments don't work on external emails. Furthermore, the IT Department has neither fixed it nor told the individual departments about it.

Maegan

Dear High School Maegan, College is coming. It's coming fast and it will be here before you know it. Although it is scary at first, it will be the best time of your life. It may not be one of your top priorities right now, but I think you should visit as many college campuses as possible. I really love my school, but sometimes I wonder if I made the right choice. Also, apply for as many scholarships as possible! They may not seem very important right now, but when tuition is due, scholarships help more than you could imagine. Most importantly, do not lose your values. College is full of temptation, frustration, and new experiences. Above all, do not lose who you are and what you believe in. Sometimes it is the best choice to not fall into peer pressure and to create your own path. Always keep your final goal in mind, stay optimistic, and put all of your faith in God.

I love the diversity of my school. It is the most diverse college in Alabama, and this is very clear from the wide variety of people that I come in contact with. Everyone is from different places and has a unique story.

People that are not dedicated or determined to succeed should not attend this school. The professors challenge the students to put forth their best effort. They expect a student to invest their time and knowledge into the courses, and the students should be able to do this if they hope to succeed.

University of Alabama at Birmingham administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.