University of Alabama at Birmingham

« See more reviews of University of Alabama at Birmingham

The worst thing about my school is the fact that it is set in Birmingham, in a big city. There are many positive aspects of living in a big city; I love going to concerts and never having a boring moment! However, it can be overwhelming to new students, who are trying to find their way around. Another negative point to living in a big city is the lack of greenery. Fortunately, we are receiving more beautiful greenery this year and enjoy studying in the beautiful outside!

At least in my first year of school here (other than adjusting to the stress of college, of course), my experience at UAB has been practically flawless. If I had to pick one downside, however, it would definitely be the tuition hikes that have resulted from the unecessary rebuilding of perfectly good facilities. Although the development and creature comforts that UAB has to offer are really great, we could definitely do without if it meant a more affordable education.

I really don't have any bad things to say about UAB. I'm just getting started there as my first undergrad degree was received from Auburn. So far all of my experiances have been very pleasant. I'm doing the Biology undergrad this time around to pick up all of the prerequesites I need to apply for Medical School next year. I'm also going to be working full time while I do this to support myself. That is why I need this Scholarship.

UAB is focused more on the Science and Medical programs than on liberal arts. The majority of thier money either goes to funding medical research or facilities for the sciences. It wasn't until 2008 that the History department was moved out of a 70 year old building with no heat. The liberal arts professors are overworked and bitter in some respects.

The worst thing about UAB is the false image they have of "one of the most diverse universities in the nation" There may be alot of students from different races and ethnicities, but each of these groups are so segragated from each other that they are barely even noticed. A true diverse University is well integrated and heterogenious throughout.

At first glance there isn't much wrong with my school it's located in the heart of a beautiful city, the professors are top notch, and there is abundance of school spirit. Unfortuately the last statement isn't as true as it originally was. Since out football program was taken away the lack of school spirit has taken much of the joy out of UAB.

I consider the worst thing about UAB to be the traffic and parking. There are limited spaces in parking lots. They have overflow decks but by the time you get there, you are late. Even though there are many students at UAB, excluding the ones walking or using some other means of transportation, you still have the traffic/parking problems.

the worst thing about my school is that even though it is a very diverse school, people still remain attached to their race. There isn't a unity that I wish to see. All students do come together during football games etc, but when it comes to hanging out after class or going out during the weekends, the groups are mostly of one type.

School needs to be made easier to pay for. They try to be prompt about finaid. But they need a better monthly payment plan. Becuase for ours you still get charged late fees and have holds on your account even if you are in the program. But paying 4 it monthly under a better program would make it easier 4 work study students.

I would have to say the bureaucratic indifference. The school is so big that some of the decisions are made by committees and delegation that is necessarily in our best interest. Students are occasionally given new costs on tuition that just appear out of no where without our consent or any actual need on our part.