University of Alabama at Birmingham

« See more reviews of University of Alabama at Birmingham

College is truly an extremely different world from high school. You are responsible for everything you do. I have learned how to be my own person and become much more responsible. At UAB, students can find help if he or she has a problem. Many of the professors help students find solutions to problems. I have also been able to make friends with the same educational interests I have. UAB shows students how to connect with people from many different cultures. This has made me a better person because I get to see how people from every culture in the world are similar. UAB has changed my life for the better.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Talk to someone. Someone knows how you're feeling about what you are about to face. Study as hard as you work . The rest will fall into play. Weigh your options. Save every penny and apply it wisely. It will pay off. Don't be afraid to seek financial assistance. And network as much as possible. Staff will be there to guide you. Take the time to plan ahead. Don't rush but don't lag. Find out where you want to go and start making plans. Seek all the help possible for you to succeed. And most importantly don't lose yourself in stress and bills. Someone is out there who can help.

If I could go back with the knowledge I have gained now, I would keep myself open to colleges like UAB and not aim for colleges so far away from home. A great education was at my finger tips and I tried my hardest to not attend. When I finally started classes at UAB, I found out that this was what I was looking for all along and that being closer to home would help me transition to college easier. One thing I would remind myself is to be open to new choices and remember that now everything is up to you. Whether you succeed or fail is in your hands and yours alone. You have to make the choice.

Don't take everything so seriously. Be ready to laugh at yourself. Don't spill your life story to everyone you talk to. Be cautious until you really get to know someone. Don't overreact when someone hurts you. At best, you'll have to apologize to someone. At worst, you'll lose a friend. Don't worry about how many friends you have. Not everyone can be a social butterfly. It is best not to get loaded at parties. Alcohol makes people stupid. Be kind to yourself even if other people aren't. Remember why you are there (at college): to learn. Homework and studying ALWAYS come first.

Please actually pay attention in class and study. Find out your study habits, good and bad, and build on the good and beat away the bad. It will not be as simple as high school so don't kid yourself. Get prepared! Classes will be different so learn to take better notes and then learn to use them to help memorize the material. When you get there, don't be afraid to ask for help. If you need it ask, you will be there to learn not already know it but they do expect you to learn quickly. It will be kind of scary at first but if you work out a schedule and try your best, you should be alright.

Attending college was the best decision I have ever made. I am a first generation college student in my family. Leaving my home town, making new friends, getting a quality education, and being surrounded by people completely different from my background has been life changing. I am a better person today than I was two years ago because of what I have learned and the people who have influenced me. These experiences have helped me grow in so many ways. I am finding the woman I am supposed to be. I am going to make a difference in the world with the knowlege I have gained.

If I could go back in time and give myself adice I would first tell myself to take school seriously. Finals are not a joke. They can change your grade drastically. The biggest thing I wish I could go back and do is make more friends and get involved. I think it is now very important to have lots of friends. By getting involved it makes college fun and rewarding. Grades are very important, but I have now learned to not study all the time. It is very important to take time and have fun. I do not want to look back and say I had no fun or made life long friendships.

Ive learned how to be more independent and ive learned what kind of learner i am; i am a visual learner. College has been amazing so far, ive met so many amazing people, and had some great experiences my freshman year(Blazer Nights, football games, etc). Ive also learned how to manage my time better. Ive learned so much about major and how i can use in my future. UAB offers so many programs and activities for its students, and im glad im taking advantage of it .UAB is a amazing school and im glad it was my final choice, its worth every penny and dollar.

No one truly knows what they want to do straight off. Talk to people, and figure out what you want to accomplish in your life. Make an effort to put your name out there for others to hear and get involved with groups in the community. Know you limitations and do not overwork yourself. Parents are the key to a success in today's colleges. Parents should always praise the students for even trying to accomplish a dream, even if it back fires. The knowledge that can be gained today by the new era of students is incredible, just sit back and enjoy.

I recommend visiting the campus of the college(s) that you have in mind. Engage current students about the quality of life and activites on that particular campus, especially those in your chosen field of study. Always make sure you are getting prompt responses from the universities administrative offices because this is indicative of their response pattern in the future. I'd also advise each student and their parents to visit locations that are close by campus to determine the quality of the neighborhood in which the student will be living.