University of Alabama at Birmingham

« See more reviews of University of Alabama at Birmingham

College is not just about getting out of your parents' house to join an elite demographic of young adults. That may be what you're most excited about, but the most important part of college is figuring out who you are and remaining solid in your foundational standings. There are so many extracurricular activities to get involved with in college that guide you in a panoply of directions, that it can confuse you about what you expect to get out of your college career and out of life in general. Don't let those activities confuse you. Use them and your time wisely to investigate new experiences, and stay true to the ones that better your life & that you will want to carry on with you to the next phase of living. Don't do things you'd regret later. Take those experiences to solidify your motives and who you are, and channel that motivation toward your academic career. College is meant to prepare you for living the rest of your life, not skating through the next four or more years to wonder what you're going to do with your life once you're finished living it up.

The right college might not be the one that you've always pictured. Pick 4-5 different colleges that you are interested in, and picture yourself there. If you know what your major will be, figure out what opportunities there are for you. If you know your career-path, ask about opportunities that are offered for experience in your desired field. Take a campus tour and learn about the traditions behind that particular school. Make sure you choose a place where you can truly feel at home. College is everything that you make it out to be. If you are unhappy with your surroundings, you will waste away some of the best years of you life! Have fun! Find at least five organizations at your school that truly interest you and get involved! Make friends that are on the same career/school path that you are; that way, you always have a buddy that can study hard with you, or with whom you can take a much needed break from the books. But as fun as college life is, stay on top of your studies. The best way to stay focused is to reward yourself when you really need it!

Dear FHS self,You are going to make it! No matter what people will say to you, and how much people to try to drag you down, you will survive. God will give you the strength to get through these situations. He will bring redemption to your family and restore your faith in men. All of the people from high school who harrassed you and tried to blackmail you and your family will reap what they have sown. The people at the church will stand up during Dad’s sermon and act like animals, but remember God loves you. Keep your focus on school and softball, the girls need the leadership that you will provide.Regardless of the insanity that will come your way, persevere and keep your head up. Romans 8:28 and Galatians 6:9 will be your mantra during college, and you will make the best friends you have ever made. Don’t be discouraged when things don’t turn out like expected, you will love UAB.Remember to tell your parents and Geoff that you love them, especially while Geoff is in Afghanistan. God will protect him, and he will come home unscathed.Sincerely,Me

Hey Arnasia, it’s me…….well it’s you a year from now. I know you thought that high school would be the best time of your life. Newsflash, things seem to be pretty great the older you get. College is indeed as hard as you thought it would be, if not harder. Those classes you used to get by in by doing the bare minimum? Change those habits now before you go to college. College requires hard work, effort, and studying—just doing well enough will not work, and that top ten percent GPA of yours will suffer. Those assignments you used to do on your own? College changes your mentality about teamwork completely. It is impossible to make it through college without the help of a few, or a lot, of your classmates. “We’re all in this together” stops becoming a Disney cliché and becomes a true statement. You are going to be fine, and you will adjust just fine to the big university. As you move on to this next transition in life, move with poise, positivity, and persistence. Take a deep breath and fluff your hair—the next four years are going to be amazing.

Dear high school senior me, College is a place to finally embrace yourself. You no longer have to pretend to be something you're not because your "friends" don't accept the real you. By the way, you probably won't hear from anybody you went to high school with after the first month of college. Remember when you were going to apply for all these ivy league schools? You should've because you were smart enough and just as determined as anybody else. Don't put yourself down, you weren't just smart but you studied, neglected your social life and it paid off because you are going to make the honor graduate selection. By the way, I wish you would've used those scholarship lists and applied. Just because a person is smart doesn't mean that money falls in their lap. You have to apply against a thousand other qualified students. Even though there won't be a next time, have a plan A, B, and Z school choice; plan Z as in the plan when everything that could posibly go wrong will!!! Lastly, college is so full of freedom, enjoy it! With love, College You

If I could go back in time to talk to my high school senior self I would give the advice, of patience, self motivation, and open-mindedness. Where college is a new and open world to most people who enter it, it is important to make a smooth transition on an individual’s way to adulthood while in this environment. Patience is key, the difficulty of making new friends with diverse groups of people, and also academically, where one could not get an answer or assistance in an instance. Self motivation, because my old environment was made up of adults who forced motivation, where in college, where almost every aspect of the learning process is completely left upon the student, motivation becomes difficult, but I must become independent and motivate myself, and not rely on figure heads or others to do the motivation for me, because that option will not always be there. Lastly open-mindedness, where high school introduced you to the world, college life constantly causes you to submerse yourself completely into new people, experiences, and ideology.

I have gotten so much of school . One of the most important things I have learned is responsibility . When I was in high school if I forgot something my parents would just bring it to me at school. Or if I got in some trouble at school I figured out that if I'm nice enough to the teachers they would let me off with an easier punishement . But when I got to college I did not get by with any of that stuff. If i was nice to them yeah they felt sorry for me but they still laid down the law. Another experience that helped me in college was learning to deal with people and also learning that everyone is not like you. On the other hand I also found things about myself that "rub people the wrong way" and learning these things can help you better yourself as a person. Also when you are in college living by yourself you learn what your values are . Finding out what my values were was a very eye-opening experience for me. I never thought I would actually care about cleanliness so much, because my parents always made me clean. .

From freshmen to senior year, I was a participant in my high school’s International Baccalaureate (IB) program. This enabled me with the opportunity to earn college credit through pre-college courses; if given enough credits, I could have entered my first semester of freshmen year at the University of Alabama at Birmingham as a second semester sophomore. Unfortunately because of the choices I made, I did not receive my IB diploma. By not prioritizing my time to study for my IB exams, this caused too low scorings on my exams to receive college credit and my IB diploma. If I could talk to my high school senior self, I would beat into my head how important it is for me to earn my IB diploma. I would stress myself about studying for those exams because now I’m retaking and paying money for classes I have already taken in high school. My high school self would know the expenses I have to pay now with being an out-of-state student and how getting my diploma would save me thousands of dollars that could go toward Medical School in the future.

When choosing a college it is good to have an idea of what type and kind of environment you would like. Whether you do or not, start early to look into colleges so that you can plan ahead as far as preparing financially and academically to make yourself a good/great candidate. Once you've selected the colleges you would like, it is important to take a tour to see how comfortable you are in the environment/location of the campus. I say this from personal experience because when I took a tour of the college I thought was right for me because of my intended major, I could not believe how uncomfortable I felt. I felt like it wasn't for me. When I took a tour of my second choice, I instantly fell in love and was smiling through the whole tour. A tour makes a difference in not just getting to see the college you would like to attend but it lets you see if your personality meshes well with the environment. In making the most of your college experience, stay focused on your goal but have safe fun because college is an experience to remember.

Were I able to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I do not believe I would give myself any advice about college life. I feel that half of the thrill of a freshman year comes with learning about oneself and discovering what college life is really like. I received advice from teachers and former classmates about their college experiences, and the one thing I learned is it is a different experience for everyone. College life is what one makes of it, and the transition from high school to college can be as smooth or as difficult as one chooses to make it. I believe that it builds character to go into college with great expectations and see how realistic one can make those expectations. College does not have to be scary. After all, it is usually not a fear of failing that most freshman experience. It is a fear of the unknown. It is also more fun and gratifying to conqure fear on your own. However, my advice to every high school senior would be to never sign up for eight a.m. classes unless you are a morning person!