University of Alabama at Birmingham

« See more reviews of University of Alabama at Birmingham

I would say that there is a school out there that best fits who you or your child is as a person. Write down some of the major things that you feel you should receive with your education, such as dorms, great off-campus shopping/food centers, or size of the college. If you want to be in a more urban area then look for colleges that are located in such areas. After finding the college of your choice, don't be afraid to "jump in" because this is where your life-long friends are made. College should be a place where you find who you are; therefore, you will more than likely mess up. Just remember that life is not perfect even though you think a "B" is not great, you will make it; it only makes you work harder. On the other hand, don't take grades/school so seriously that you miss out on the fun times with the girls/guys. Yes, Friday night at the bar was fun and crazy, but its time to get back to reality on Monday. Just remember those four years are not that long and are gone before you know it.

The first thing to remember is that it?s up to YOU to decide what you'd like to pursue a career in. For three semesters I was a business major because my dad always said, ?You can make a lot of money with a business degree.? My school is also known for having one of the top business schools in the nation. Once I started taking business classes, I decided it wasn?t for me so I changed my major to communications. I fell in love with my major and I have no regrets! Secondly you have to find a balance between school and your social life. You can?t party Thursday night, come home at 3:00 AM and go to a Friday 8:00 AM class . Have fun but don?t let four years pass you by due to 24 hour study sessions either. Make sure to make friends and network because these connections can last a lifetime! Also try to join groups that are related to your major. These groups will give you the upper hand on what to expect after college and will help you network with professionals in your field of study. Good luck!

This is not high school. I would tell myself it's okay to be who I am, there's a club for everyone. I would tell myself to never think or say I can't do something, regardless of my situations. Stay focused. Pray. It's okay to have fun, but remember why you're here. Volunteering is the best thing in the world and you meet some of the most fantastic people. Enjoy other people's differences, but don't be afraid to voice your opinion. Be prepared for some of the best experiences of your life. You will never be the same. My classes would cause me to re-evaluate my views on life in general. Some professors will make a mark on your life that will impact you forever. Sometimes roommates can be crazy, but you might get lucky and find a best friend. Game Day is the best day. You'll cry and even you'll laugh until you cry. This is not a walk in the park; high school might have been easy, but college will drive you crazy if you're not ready. Enjoy life, this part only comes once. Never ever stop dreaming!

To answer this question I have to give you a little more background information on myself. Coming out of high school I was ranked as the number two kicker in the nation. I went to Auburn on athletic scholarship and chose to study Marketing. I graduated in three years even though I had no intention of using that major. My goal was to play in the NFL. Unfortunately I tore both sides of a muscle in my kicking leg in successive years, and that has taken that dream from me. So I've spent the last two years trying to figure out what it is I want to do with my life. I've finally settled on being a Orthopedic Surgeon. This way I can still be near sports, and also help athletes who are dealing with injuries and setbacks like I've had to. So back to the question. If I had this opportunity, I would tell myself to make sure I'm prepared for life, and not just football. To not take for granted all the time when I was on top of the world. Oh how the mighty can fall, but only the mightiest can survive it.

To find the right college, a parent and child must act as a team. The child will have to find a college whose atmosphere and environment are fitting to them and will help them not only prepare them for their life careers but also help them to mature and grow as an individual. The parent will have to act as a guide because they truly know their children better than the children know themselves, though most kids of my generation will try to argue that. Most parents have already traveled down the college road, some being amongst the first of many to even step foot inside a collegiate building or classroom. They were the ones who helped pave the college journey for myself and others of my generation. Parents can tailor-fit their children's college choices, helping to narrow down their choices based on things such as distance, cost of attendance, special major fields, etc. Both must be involved in this process, from researching prospective schools to the application process to the move-in day.

START SEARCHING FOR COLLEGES SOON! Most of the best scholarships are contingent on you gettting your applications in fast. Make sure you go to the colleges you're looking at, do the campus tour thing, and try to talk to some regular students. Ask your tour guide if you can attend a class, or talk to one of the professors from the field you like. And if you don't know exactly what you want to do in your life, look at all of the departments and make sure there is some flexibility to change majors. I think I've heard that most students change majors at least once while in college. Once you get to college, be sure that you don't overload yourself. It is possible to work part-time and go to school full-time, but don't expect to make straight A's if you're skipping classes because you oversleep too often. Don't let your first semester of college define your ideas about college. There are a lot of teachers at every college, and (for some reason) freshmen always seem to get the worst ones.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself, I'd lock myself in a room and give me a stern talking to. “Ronnie,” I'd say, yelling over Coheed and Cambria playing in the background, “You're going nowhere fast and you'll soon regret it. Sure, a year after graduation you'll see the error of your ways and turn your life around...but by then you will have already wasted a good head start on your career. No, you can't go into the military, but that doesn't mean life is over; the CIA and FBI are viable choices that are looking for Human Resources managers. Maybe you could start a business!” I'd shake my head as I would try to talk myself out of it. “Think of the options you're not looking into. Research. You're smarter than they say you are. Buck up soldier, 'cause time waits for no one.” Then, after sharing the greasiest In-N-Out Animal burger of all time, I would compliment my mohawk and then poof back to the future. After all, Glee starts in five minutes and I don't want to miss it.

My best advice to students would be to not be scared of not knowing their passions. Not knowing what one wants to do for the rest of his or her life is not rare. Afterall, choosing any path in life is a big decision that requires much thought. College is just another place to explore and discover new talents and opportunities. However, remember, that even though for some students their majors may not pertain to anything they do in the future, for many students, the knowledge and degree they earn from college are often the foundation of their future careers. So be sure to stick with fields of interest. As for parents, my best advice would be to not try to override their children's opinions and choices. Guide their children, but should ideas clash, allow their children to follow their passions and make their own dreams come true - just support and encourage them, because even though ideas of a successful future may not correspond, the kids want to make the parents proud, too.

Dear Khari, I know you're freaking out right now about all the excitement that is senior year, and I can totally understand why, I've been there. But take some time to relax and appreciate how amazing this moment is. Senior year is one of the most exciting times of your life and I hope that you're making the best of it. I know you feel pretty bummed out about not getting any of the scholarships you applied for, or not getting the highest ACT score out of all your friends, but remember, none of that measures your worth as a person. When you get to UAB you'll meet plenty of other kids just like you, and not getting the scholarships you wanted then just serves as motivation to keep trying for the future. You'll get a scholarship some day. You're still a smart, beautiful, and amazing young girl, and I'm just as proud of you then, as I am of us now. You learn that UAB was a great choice for you, and you don't regret your choice at all. Keep up the good work girl. Love you. - Khari

My freshman year has been stressful and full of changes; however, I have a high value of appreciation for my college education because it has allowed me to take a more responsible role in my life and take initiative rather than wait for a push in the right direction. College has been valuable because it has also showed me that one must be careful and every day can be an opportunity to either take a step in the right direction or in the opposite direction. The strict demand of the professors is something unlike anything I've ever experienced at my high schooll and it pushed me to stay focused and determined on my goal of passing my courses and being closer to my long term goal of graduating from graduate school as well as undergraduate school. The education I'm receiving at UAB is valuable because it has caused me to work than I ever have for anything in my life and the long nights I spend studying for tests or the hours in the library shows me that hard work will be rewarded.