University of Alabama at Birmingham Top Questions

Katlyn

Please actually pay attention in class and study. Find out your study habits, good and bad, and build on the good and beat away the bad. It will not be as simple as high school so don't kid yourself. Get prepared! Classes will be different so learn to take better notes and then learn to use them to help memorize the material. When you get there, don't be afraid to ask for help. If you need it ask, you will be there to learn not already know it but they do expect you to learn quickly. It will be kind of scary at first but if you work out a schedule and try your best, you should be alright.

Ashlee

If i could go back and talk to myself as a senior in highschool. I would tell myself to enjoy

Khari

Dear Khari, I know you're freaking out right now about all the excitement that is senior year, and I can totally understand why, I've been there. But take some time to relax and appreciate how amazing this moment is. Senior year is one of the most exciting times of your life and I hope that you're making the best of it. I know you feel pretty bummed out about not getting any of the scholarships you applied for, or not getting the highest ACT score out of all your friends, but remember, none of that measures your worth as a person. When you get to UAB you'll meet plenty of other kids just like you, and not getting the scholarships you wanted then just serves as motivation to keep trying for the future. You'll get a scholarship some day. You're still a smart, beautiful, and amazing young girl, and I'm just as proud of you then, as I am of us now. You learn that UAB was a great choice for you, and you don't regret your choice at all. Keep up the good work girl. Love you. - Khari

Savannah

Going into college, I was leaving all my friends behind. My greatest fear was that I was not going to be accepted by others the way that I was accepted by my old friends. I was afraid because I do not drink or go to parties, and college was known for its parties. I didn't want to become someone I wasn't. I wanted to be loved and accepted no matter what my actions were. If I could go back and talk to my high school self, I would tell myself to trust in God more and to not worry because I am not by myself. When I got to college I realized that many other students prefer not to drink. I was blessed with an abundance of friends who stayed home and studied with me on a friday night. I wish I could go back and make myself less stressed as a high school senior because now I know that college is going to be the best years of my life.

If I could go back in time and offer advice to my former self, I would definitely tell my high school self to be prepared and focused for college. I believe that many people initially think of college as the chance to be free and therefore, do not have limits. The person I am now, older and a bit wiser, would tell my younger self that the main objective for attending college is to obtain a degree to have a greater chance of securing the success of my future. I would put much emphasis on this when speaking to my high school self.

Don't take everything so seriously. Be ready to laugh at yourself. Don't spill your life story to everyone you talk to. Be cautious until you really get to know someone. Don't overreact when someone hurts you. At best, you'll have to apologize to someone. At worst, you'll lose a friend. Don't worry about how many friends you have. Not everyone can be a social butterfly. It is best not to get loaded at parties. Alcohol makes people stupid. Be kind to yourself even if other people aren't. Remember why you are there (at college): to learn. Homework and studying ALWAYS come first.

Maegan

Dear High School Maegan, College is coming. It's coming fast and it will be here before you know it. Although it is scary at first, it will be the best time of your life. It may not be one of your top priorities right now, but I think you should visit as many college campuses as possible. I really love my school, but sometimes I wonder if I made the right choice. Also, apply for as many scholarships as possible! They may not seem very important right now, but when tuition is due, scholarships help more than you could imagine. Most importantly, do not lose your values. College is full of temptation, frustration, and new experiences. Above all, do not lose who you are and what you believe in. Sometimes it is the best choice to not fall into peer pressure and to create your own path. Always keep your final goal in mind, stay optimistic, and put all of your faith in God.

DeMarcus

Always put your work first and pray!

Tierra

If I could back in time, and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would advise myself to apply for more scholarships. I am an out-of-state student at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, and tuition is very pricey. As a high school senior, I applied for numerous scholarships but most, I was not awarded. Paying for college has become very hard for my family and I. Paying for tuition, as well as, daily necessities, such as food or school supplies, has even become a problem. Therefore, I now know that I should have applied earlier for certain scholarships and I should have applied for those of larger amounts.

Shenique

Dear high school senior me, College is a place to finally embrace yourself. You no longer have to pretend to be something you're not because your "friends" don't accept the real you. By the way, you probably won't hear from anybody you went to high school with after the first month of college. Remember when you were going to apply for all these ivy league schools? You should've because you were smart enough and just as determined as anybody else. Don't put yourself down, you weren't just smart but you studied, neglected your social life and it paid off because you are going to make the honor graduate selection. By the way, I wish you would've used those scholarship lists and applied. Just because a person is smart doesn't mean that money falls in their lap. You have to apply against a thousand other qualified students. Even though there won't be a next time, have a plan A, B, and Z school choice; plan Z as in the plan when everything that could posibly go wrong will!!! Lastly, college is so full of freedom, enjoy it! With love, College You

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would give myself three pieces of advice. The three pieces of advice I would give myself would be to study harder, apply for more scholarships, and to focus on my goals and aspirations. The first piece of advice would be to study harder. By studying harder, I could have made better grades my freshmen year in college, which would have allowed me to earn more scholarships and helped to better prepare for med school in the future. Studying harder would have given me the work ethic required to become successful in every aspect of my life. The second piece of advice would be to apply for more scholarships. Applying for more scholarships would have made college a smoother experience. By applying to scholarships, the cost of tuition would have drastically decreased and would have elimated the struggle and anxiety that is caused by student loans and debt. The third piece of advice is to focus on my goals and aspirations. Being career-focused would allow planning for my future and would give peace of mind when the goal is completed.

Em

During my senior year, I felt so hopeless that I couldn't even bring myself to be excited about moving away for college. Being at the end of a toxic relationship that ended up terminating most of the friendships I'd had since middle school, not being able to be out as queer to my parents, and struggling with an ED, it was hard for me to see past all the bad that was in front of me and look forward to a future of endless possibility. If I could go back in time and tell myself one thing, cliche as it sounds, it would be to let myself know that things were going to become so indelibly great that in a year's time-- that I'd be a completely different, wholly better person with goals, accomplishments, and a great job at an NPR news station. While I know none of this ever could've happened if it wasn't for the long road that brought me here, if my high-school self had even had an inkling of how great things were going to be, I think I could've saved myself a lot of trouble.

If I could go back in time and give myself adice I would first tell myself to take school seriously. Finals are not a joke. They can change your grade drastically. The biggest thing I wish I could go back and do is make more friends and get involved. I think it is now very important to have lots of friends. By getting involved it makes college fun and rewarding. Grades are very important, but I have now learned to not study all the time. It is very important to take time and have fun. I do not want to look back and say I had no fun or made life long friendships.

If I could go back to when I was a senior in High School and give myself some advise it would be to work on my organization and time management skills. In college, every time you turn around there's a new deadline coming up, a project due, and a test to study for. I would tell myself to go ahead and make a panner my best friend because keeping up with so much work for so many different classes is hard to do. I would also tell myself to learn to be more organized, to keep all my flash cards and notes from different classes, because you never know when you're going to need your old notes. But the most important thing I would tell myself is not to procrastinate. College tests are nothing like the ones in high school where you could study the night before and make an A. I would tell myself to start studying for any test atleast two weeks in adavance.

Tierra

From freshmen to senior year, I was a participant in my high school’s International Baccalaureate (IB) program. This enabled me with the opportunity to earn college credit through pre-college courses; if given enough credits, I could have entered my first semester of freshmen year at the University of Alabama at Birmingham as a second semester sophomore. Unfortunately because of the choices I made, I did not receive my IB diploma. By not prioritizing my time to study for my IB exams, this caused too low scorings on my exams to receive college credit and my IB diploma. If I could talk to my high school senior self, I would beat into my head how important it is for me to earn my IB diploma. I would stress myself about studying for those exams because now I’m retaking and paying money for classes I have already taken in high school. My high school self would know the expenses I have to pay now with being an out-of-state student and how getting my diploma would save me thousands of dollars that could go toward Medical School in the future.

Arnasia

Hey Arnasia, it’s me…….well it’s you a year from now. I know you thought that high school would be the best time of your life. Newsflash, things seem to be pretty great the older you get. College is indeed as hard as you thought it would be, if not harder. Those classes you used to get by in by doing the bare minimum? Change those habits now before you go to college. College requires hard work, effort, and studying—just doing well enough will not work, and that top ten percent GPA of yours will suffer. Those assignments you used to do on your own? College changes your mentality about teamwork completely. It is impossible to make it through college without the help of a few, or a lot, of your classmates. “We’re all in this together” stops becoming a Disney cliché and becomes a true statement. You are going to be fine, and you will adjust just fine to the big university. As you move on to this next transition in life, move with poise, positivity, and persistence. Take a deep breath and fluff your hair—the next four years are going to be amazing.

Candeis

Ok, you are a high school senior now.... What's next?? I know that question is daunting right now but must be considered. Please take some time out and do a lot of research on different career paths. I think it would be wise if you did some shadowing on different careers to grasp an idea of what each entails. Once you have shadowed a few professions, start working on your networking skills. It is helpful to know people who are in your field of study. Additionally, I think it would be in your best interest if you purchased a planner and started working on being organized; that will help you tremendously. College is tough but you can do well if you apply yourself. After working on becoming organized, start applying for scholarships, college is expensive and will not pay for itself. Last but most importantly, start now! Break your awful habit of procrastination. It is a terrible habit and will only harm you in the long run. Read before class and take notes, ask questions if you don't understand the material and if you optimize your opportunities to learn, you will excel.

Bareera

You will always find a place in a university. At this school you will meet very kind and intelligent individuals. Don't be afraid to make mistakes, make them early in the game and be the first one to own up for them. Be aware you are going to make many mistakes, but it's okay because it is a part of transitioning into independence. You go one day from showing up at the dinner table with your mom's cooking waiting, and then struggling to buy a can of soup nearly overnight. These struggles will only help you grow, and give some fun stories to share with your friends. In addition, try the things you are afraid of immediately. You will be surprised to learn that the things you feared most happened to be the very first things you fall in love with. Calculus being the main example. And also remember that unfortunately you have not figured out life's meaning yet, I'm sure that must be disappointing. However, don't worry, you'll grow to be happy with the realization that you know nothing. The journey becomes more interesting then.

Get focused early. It is alright to get out and explore being on your own, but don't allow this to hinder your schoolwork. Take every class seriously, even electives. Just because you can skate by and still pass doesn't mean you should take that route. Remember, that A that you could have earned had you tried your best will be useful in cushioning your GPA later in your college career when the course load gets harder. The more hours accumulate, the harder it is to raise your GPA. Give yourself a fair chance. Start reaching out to companies you would like to work for early. Volunteer or get involved in an internship. You will need these references later, not to mention the experience will be beneficial to your resume. Get out and make friends. All work and no play will drain you and cause loss of motivation. Surround yourself with positive individuals who want you to succeed and who know when and how to relax. When you look back on your college experience, you not only want to be able to say you did well in class, but also that you made long-lasting relationships. Best of luck!

Queen

If I could go back in time to talk to my high school senior self I would give the advice, of patience, self motivation, and open-mindedness. Where college is a new and open world to most people who enter it, it is important to make a smooth transition on an individual’s way to adulthood while in this environment. Patience is key, the difficulty of making new friends with diverse groups of people, and also academically, where one could not get an answer or assistance in an instance. Self motivation, because my old environment was made up of adults who forced motivation, where in college, where almost every aspect of the learning process is completely left upon the student, motivation becomes difficult, but I must become independent and motivate myself, and not rely on figure heads or others to do the motivation for me, because that option will not always be there. Lastly open-mindedness, where high school introduced you to the world, college life constantly causes you to submerse yourself completely into new people, experiences, and ideology.

Dennis

The advice that I would give myself if I was a high school senior is not to procrastinate. I would not wait until the last minute to do certain assignments try to start on them once the teacher assigns them. Just always study and do my work.

Meaghan

I would tell myself to take less than 17 hours my first semester. And don't take any classes before 10 AM. That was my downfall my freshman year. And that is the reason I have had to work extra hard to get my GPA back up over the past couple of years. I would tell myself to be sweeter to my family, so maybe I wouldn't have to apply for every scholarship I could find. I am very blessed to have a family who have supported me throughout my life.

Fill out scholarships! Money does not grow on trees and getting an eduaction cost a lot of money. Take your ACT again for a higher score because one point higher can be worth thousands. Get a job whenever you can because books alone can make you spend your whole graduation money and birthday money. Have fun in highschool but also think about whatever you want to do later in life. It is ok if you do not know what you want to major in. Spend as much time as you can with your friends and family your senior year because soon everyone will be moving. College classes are like taking all AP classes and your teachers in college will not babysit you and they do not care if you skip class that just hurts you. Stop worring about relationships in high school and sex because really it is over rated and you spent way too long worring about boys then working on class work. Retake any AP tests if you can because it can be worth money the $100 or college credit. Just take a breathe and stop trying to rush into college and growing up. Take it slow.

Jelissa

Organization is the key to sucess. Start getting organized now because in college you will need to be very oragnize. College is totally different from highschool. You cannot be as laid back, you will have to be on top of everything you do. Get organized.

charles

If I could go back in time and meet my high school self I would tell myself to make sure I look for more scholarships before goin to college to make the financial burden a little bit less

To only take classes that the courses will transfer. Also, get the most out of the experience.

Autumn

Dear Autumn, College is not as scary as you think it is. The people don’t bite and the professors aren’t out to get you. I know you want to be around your friends from high school but you need to think about yourself and choose the college that is right for you. Once you have made up your mind as to what college you want to go to make sure to enjoy your first year. Immerse yourself into the college life meet new people and experience new things. Don’t be afraid to be yourself, people will love you because of it. Also, don’t forget to keep your grades up in the process this will save you trouble later in your college career, trust me. It is also important to have your future career in mind to avoid taking pointless classes that don’t count toward your degree. The most important advice that I can give is to embrace college it is a completely different place from high school. I believe in you and make the most of it.

I would first tell myself to enjoy the time I have with family. It is so important to continue to make those relationships flourish, even with distance during college. I would also tell myself to enjoy each moment in high school and not to override it with the impulse to experience the adventures of college life. I would also stress to myself to stay motivated and don’t get too much senioritis because many people and organizations are willing to award me for my hard work and diligence in high school. Most importantly, I would tell myself to stay true to who I am and try my best to make a positive, lasting impression on those around me.

Gina

Hey! Calm down. The life ahead of you is so much brighter than you can imagine. Continue to devote more time on your school work instead of the social life you will barely care about in a few months. Apply for scholarships every single day! Make it a second part-time job. It is so hard to balance school work and a job! Listen to mommy. Stay home and go to UAB! This school fits you perfectly and it saves a ton of time and money. There are so many opportunities there for you. Don't worry, you will know exactly what you want to do with the rest of your life by your second year there. College is not scary. It is one of the best experiences you will ever have and you are going to make the best friends you will ever have. Above all, you are smarter than you think. Love yourself and remain confident. That is the key to success in school.

Ivan

The advice I would give myself to help with the transition from highschool to college would be to stay on task and stay involved in campus activities. Staying active in college helps a student enjoy his or her time and meet new friends.

Rheanna

If I could go back in time and talk to myself, I'd lock myself in a room and give me a stern talking to. “Ronnie,” I'd say, yelling over Coheed and Cambria playing in the background, “You're going nowhere fast and you'll soon regret it. Sure, a year after graduation you'll see the error of your ways and turn your life around...but by then you will have already wasted a good head start on your career. No, you can't go into the military, but that doesn't mean life is over; the CIA and FBI are viable choices that are looking for Human Resources managers. Maybe you could start a business!” I'd shake my head as I would try to talk myself out of it. “Think of the options you're not looking into. Research. You're smarter than they say you are. Buck up soldier, 'cause time waits for no one.” Then, after sharing the greasiest In-N-Out Animal burger of all time, I would compliment my mohawk and then poof back to the future. After all, Glee starts in five minutes and I don't want to miss it.

College is not high school. Apply every ounce of energy to your education as it will pay off. Set small goals that transpire into larger goals. Do not ever become satisfied or complacent.

Margo

When I was in high school no one even talked to me about my options for college and I really had no idea about colleges outside of my state of Florida. Looking back now, I would have explored my options more because I never should have settled for one college. High school seniors should apply everywhere they possibly can! In retrospect, I would have spent more time asking my guidance counselor questions about colleges and methods of paying for college. I also came from a very low-income family and I never thought I could go to the school of my choice. I had no idea about the resources that could help me pay for school. There are so many scholarships available, one just has to take the time to complete the application or essays. Also I would also tell myself that it doesn't matter if you are not completely sure what your career choice is when you first enter college. Do not let that be the reason you do not start college after high school. I changed my major twice when I first started. Finally, don't be afraid of failure or success!

If I could go back with the knowledge I have gained now, I would keep myself open to colleges like UAB and not aim for colleges so far away from home. A great education was at my finger tips and I tried my hardest to not attend. When I finally started classes at UAB, I found out that this was what I was looking for all along and that being closer to home would help me transition to college easier. One thing I would remind myself is to be open to new choices and remember that now everything is up to you. Whether you succeed or fail is in your hands and yours alone. You have to make the choice.

Assuming I went back in time, I would tell my high school senior self to keep going the path that

Understand that the time that you have now, you must cherish it. The followng three years will be the hardest that you will encounter that far, but you can and will persevere. Although I cannot say to "Try harder, or to avoid this and that." I can say that you won't regret much. You will do what you can and you will try to enjoy every part of life even after the troubled times. You will make plenty of friends and, although it will take some time, you will find your way. Not a day goes by that I do not miss the time thatyou are in now, things will change so much, but you'll bcome a far better person. If one thing can take ahold of you at this time then it should be the notion that you should take full advantage of every opportunity that comes your way. Whether its talking to someone who is going to the same school as you, or joining any academic club and remaining active. Just remember what dad says, "I don't worry, that's why my hair isnt gray."

Dear FHS self,You are going to make it! No matter what people will say to you, and how much people to try to drag you down, you will survive. God will give you the strength to get through these situations. He will bring redemption to your family and restore your faith in men. All of the people from high school who harrassed you and tried to blackmail you and your family will reap what they have sown. The people at the church will stand up during Dad’s sermon and act like animals, but remember God loves you. Keep your focus on school and softball, the girls need the leadership that you will provide.Regardless of the insanity that will come your way, persevere and keep your head up. Romans 8:28 and Galatians 6:9 will be your mantra during college, and you will make the best friends you have ever made. Don’t be discouraged when things don’t turn out like expected, you will love UAB.Remember to tell your parents and Geoff that you love them, especially while Geoff is in Afghanistan. God will protect him, and he will come home unscathed.Sincerely,Me

jameshia

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Talk to someone. Someone knows how you're feeling about what you are about to face. Study as hard as you work . The rest will fall into play. Weigh your options. Save every penny and apply it wisely. It will pay off. Don't be afraid to seek financial assistance. And network as much as possible. Staff will be there to guide you. Take the time to plan ahead. Don't rush but don't lag. Find out where you want to go and start making plans. Seek all the help possible for you to succeed. And most importantly don't lose yourself in stress and bills. Someone is out there who can help.

Amber, Life isn't a gamble so think about what you really want to do in life. Take your general eds first because psychology isn't your dream major. Think about what truly interest you and don't be so eager to jump at opportunities that won't leave you satisfied. College is way more difficult than highschool, you can't just procrastinate your way through as usual. Make connections with your teachers because they wil help when you need recommendations. Strive for excellence and live like EVERYONE is looking at you so that you may not stumble. Reach for as many A's as possible and try not to repeat any courses because time is of the essence. You have to transfer by the end of Spring 2013 due to not being dilligent in two semesters, so if this conversation can prevent that from happening then follow my advice.

I would teel myself to make the most of my high school career. Lean everything there is to learn. Take advantage of all of the scholastic opportunities and give it my all. This would help me to excel in my college career.

Jordin

I would tell myself to remember you can be whatever you want to be. You can change your mind. If you have wanted to be a dentist since you were 12 years old, it is okay to take a some English or Psychology classes just to make sure you will enjoy what you do. You will meet some amazing people and have some very life-changing experiences. No matter what, have fun and enjoy it, because it goes by way to fast. I would also tell myself not to be so shy when I started college. It is much easier to make friends if you talk to different people during the day. It is important to take advantage of everything the university offers you- counseling, advisors, tutors, escorts to parking lots at night, financial aid, & ect.. I wish I would have known about all of the different resouces UAB offers students when I was a freshman.

Jerika

I would tell me to try to find yourself while you are at college and to be careful of distraction that can get in your way. To apply for as many scholarship opportunities as you can. I would say to be yourself and to not let anyone tell you that you can't do something because you can if you just believe and have faith. And I would say to follow your heart and always go with your first mind even if it sounds crazy lol. I would tell myself to make good friends and to be very involve on campus. And Lastly I Would tell myself to Just have fun and enjoy college life while you can because once you graduate, you are on your own.

Nashira

Knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, I would have taken more advanced classes such as Chemistry and Biology, even though they were not a requirement to graduate.

tiyana

Hey there I know graduation is coming up and life is speeding like a freight train, but let's not rush it. Take time to plan for each semester financially. Saving excess money is of the essence. I know that new pair of heels would look killer with that outfit for this weekend but dough in your savings can help out with unexpected car expenses you may have. Sound like dad? But hey this info will help out and you'll thank him. By the way procrastination ...um leave it here in high school because doing things last minute can be costly. Remember that academic scholarship application that you picked up two weeks ago? Go ahead and fill it out turn it in. Let loans be your last resort. I know more money looks better but what if you don't get your dream job right out of college? A little planning now can keep your loan debt low later. Alright enough with all the lectures. Lastly, go to school have fun and make new friends. They are waiting to meet you but they will never know you if you never open your mouth. Ok Love ya, ttyl

mary

Don't be in such a rush to grow up. Live life for what it is, through the good experiences and the bad. Doing so will teach you valuable lessons in the long run. Don't imprison yourself behind the bars of society's limitations; the only limits in life are those that you set. If you decide that there is no statue of limitations on what you can do, then you will go beyond what anyone could ever "expect" of you. Live by no-one's definition. You don't have to be in any existing category tobe someone in life. You define yourself andknow that the best definition one can ever embody is that of "undefinement". Don't strive tobe the best, strive to be your best. If you're satisfied with the person you are and are becoming then what everyone else says doesn't matter. Life is a journey, God has shown us our beginning and our end. He never said what routes and detours we would have to take and make. Enjoy all that is your journey, it will make reaching your destination all the more precious and worth it. LoveLearnExperienceLife. Love, A Wiser You

Norma

I skipped my senior year using dual-credit classes at my local University. But if I could go back and talk to myself at that point in my life I would tell the younger me to focus less on work and more on school. The money I made at the time didn't last, and the plays that I acted in only brought drama into my life. I would tell myself that if I would only apply myself to Psychology, that I would enjoy my school work(the way I do now), and feel like I accomplished something instead of starting over nearly from scratch. I wish that I could say what happiness I feel NOW when doing schoolwork and internships, so that I could understand that everything doesn't have to be overwhelming.

Viniqua

I would definately tell myself that I really should have paid more attention my senior year, even though I came out at the top of my class, I had 'senioritis' and just didn't care. I'd tell myself that studying is the key, I can't party all night and plan on taking a test that I tried to study for a few hours before the test and expect to pass. That does not work in college. Also, learn to manage my time wisely. I always find myself saying there arent enough hours in a day but it is only because I don't really didn't learn time management until I got to college. Last thing is do not try to work a full time and go to school fulltime like in high school, it does not work!

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would encourage myself to look into other scholarship options and try to get a job that could support my education.

Indigo

The advice I would give myself as a high school senior is prepare more for college courses, be more involved, and talk to more people. Do not think the friends that you talk to in high school will be your friend in college. People change and you will meet new people at college. I would also tell myself not to be so stressed about going to college because, it will be an exciting experience and you will learn alot about yourself and other people.

I would tell myself that the most expensive school, like ivy league or private, is not always the best choice. Before I finally decided to attend UAB, I wanted to go to Vanderbilt University. I loved the setting and the professors from when I took a summer program called PAVE. Now, I feel like I made the perfect decision to attend UAB because I am already in an honors college, president of a club, and on the Dean's List. I feel so comfortable in Birmingham knowing that I have scholarships to pay for my tuition and housing. Also, I would tell myself to learn my study habits before I attend college. In high school, I studied everyday after school and completed all of my homework. Now in college, I do homework in the mornings, afternoons, and mostly nighttime. My schedule is always different each semester, and sometimes I have morning classes or night classes. By learning my study habits, I will find the best time for me to study. If I had known that earlier, I would not have experimented for weeks in my freshman year trying to learn the part of the day I study the best.