University of Alabama at Birmingham Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Alabama at Birmingham

Everything has been good. I don't have any problems getting in touch with my teachers if I need anything. And I love where the university is located. There are tons of places to eat, nearby coffee shops, grocery stores, you name it. I would definitely recommend the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

Susan

I love Birmingham and UAB. However, sometimes it does feel like the administration is not listening to us as students. I've realized that it takes a lot of students all working together to even get the administration's attention. I do love that my professors will help advocate for me and other students, and that is because the class sizes (at least in engineering) are small enough to create meaningful teacher/student relationships.

Annie

The University of Alabama at Birmingham is a wonderful school. All staff members were extremely nice as well as resourceful. I enjoyed my stay there for an honor band in 2018. The music professors were wonderful and taught me many new skills as well as improving my musical techniques. I have visited and applied for the fall 2021 admission and was accepted! I can not wait to attend this university and interact with some wonderful people. I am extremely excited for next fall!

Jasmine

It’s mainly a medical school so if you’re interested in anything other, you’ll be taking a lot of unnecessary courses even if you have decided on a major. It’s extremely expensive. For it to cost so much, a lot of the facilities are old or very restricted. Hopefully, they make changes over the years.

Breana

The University of Alabama at Birmingham is a big university in an even bigger city. If the school doesn't win you over, then the city sure will. The school is a great higher learner institution. The classroom sizes are not very big so the interaction between professor and student is great and most professors are always there to help. The academic work is great and we have one of the most known academics across the country, especially when it comes to the medicial field.

Elena

It's a great place for Health-related, Nursing, and Business majors because of the hands-on opportunities available at the hospitals and clinics there, and because many local businesses in Birmingham are affiliated with UAB. The 'lunchroom' food is 'eh', but there are many different restaurants to choose from. The in-state tuition is reasonably low compared to other universities, and there are a lot of scholarships that become available to students every October. Everyone is very open-minded and diverse, so you get to meet people from all different walks of life. There are always different activities going on around campus, so you have to make sure to keep your eyes open for free stuff. There's a lot of homework involved though, so time management is critical here.

Jalysa

I Love UAB. I've been here for three years and living on campus has been great. I only wish that their prices were more reasonable. They offer plenty of activities and events for students to attend, as well as great resources available for anything from health problems to needing free food for your room. But, all of these services and activities have caused the price of attendance to be really high. You'll have a great time while quickly going broke.

Naanlop

The University of Alabama at Birmingham is a wonderful place to attend college. It is located in the largest city in Alabama so there is always something going on in the city. When you're not busy with school work you can go the Vulcan and enjoy a nice view of the city or you can take a walk in Railroad Park. UAB is full of diversity with students from over 100 different countries. UAB students excel in the Medical, Dentistry, and Optometry schools. UAB is a excellent school to attend for academics and full of many opportunities.

Myriah

UAB is a excellent school. There are a diversity of people that attend. It is well-known for its academics and beautiful campus. UAB is also located in a good place. There are a lot of businesses and food places nearby.

Jordan

UAB is one of the most diverse, global-minded, and academically inclined colleges in this country. It's amazing medical program,off- campus involvement, and other opportunities such as volunteering and research, puts this college above the rest. Blaze On!

El

As an entering Freshman I found many of the reviews helpful and the school to be a driven educator of the future. The history in the area has also made me want to attend as well as the potential for study abroad- I found this one of the most drawing points for the school.

Leah

Great for med, don't really need to be here if you're doing anything else.

Deante

University of Alabama is a great place to receive an education. UAB offers great course and major selections. The facilities are top notch for the faculty and students to utilize. Plenty of extra curricular involvement and eating choice to choose from.

Jacob

Madison

This was not the school I planned to come to, but I have fallen in love. With all the green space but still in the middle of the city, it is the perfect school. I love how active the students are and how involved in research the professors all seem to be. This is truly my dream schoo.

Uzma

I personally sometimes wish UAB had a more traditional (such as gated) campus. Also, there isn't much to do on campus on the weekends, as many students are commuters and don't stay on campus on the weekends, and many students who do live on campus are from nearby and go home on the weekends instead of staying on campus. Overall, academics are fine -- if you're a pre-med student, academics are excellent (and difficult) since UAB has a great medical school. While the campus isn't a "traditional," the undergraduate campus is still distinct from the other schools and the rest of downtown, so that's good.

My-Le

I think that the university is overall an okay place. Some of the classrooms could be improved, especially with the terrible air conditioning. The classes have been challenging so far but not too difficult that you couldn't excel. The professors here are very approachable. A majority of them are willing to help.

NeeNee

Overall UAB is a average school. it has its goods and its bads. Parking tends to be one of the bads. Although they are listening and building new parking decks.

Fantastic school! Like any college, there are things that are undesirable, but they are far outweighed by the desirable traits of this college. I have many friends and family members who are attending, and I am currently in the registration process. It's a brilliant place, and has a wonderful honours program.

Cassandra

The University of Alabama at Birmingham is a great place to not only live but also recieve an education. Even when you are not in class, there's still plenty to learn! Grab some lunch from a new palce with new people or climb the rock wall at the Rec Center! You won't find any where better than UAB! GO BLAZERS!!!

Shalynda

Great University!!!

Tara

I visited UAB and I can't wait to attend! It already feels like home!

Hollie

I love it!! The only negative thing to say is parking is horrendous! They should invest in some lot 15 parking decks! The atmosphere is amazing and so are the people!! The food on campus is good, but I personally do not like the commons! There is so much to do on campus to get involved!

Christopher

I really like the school.

There is always something going on on-campus and off. Everyone is helpful and easy to get along with. I would recommend getting into a couple of organizations so that you would be bored when you're done with classes or work. If you need help on campus or trying to find yourself, don't hesitate to ask there's something for everyone!

Ke'Onna

The University of Alabama at Birmingham is a outstanding school. The campus itself it very nice. There is a variety of things to do and places to go. The campus people are so friendly and welcoming. They have an amazing Cafeteria full of variety of different foods to satisfy each and every person on the campus. The online classes are also great if attending school isn't a good option for you. I'm a 10th grade student and I have been taking dual enrollment classes since the end of my 9th grade year. Online you can find live tutors, its easy to contact your instructor and easy to use website. Overall UAB is an Amazing school.

Yancey

At the University of Alabama at Birmingham, professors and administrators "care about you." "For many of the professors, it's not just about a grade in a class that you are taking. Rather it's an experience and preparation for any of our further endeavors." The professors here are "experts in their fields," they're "accessible and exciting," and "they're down-to-earth enough to give students a realistic​ view of what it's like to enter the world of academia."

Andria

Overall, I truly love UAB. As a Freshman, I have no regret on coming here. Although the school is a tad bit expensive, I really enjoy it here. I feel welcome everywhere I go, the food is pretty nice majority of the time, and I believe the teachers want their students to succeed in life.

Alyssa

I think the University of Alabama at Birmingham is an amazing four year university. There is literally something extracurricular meant specifically for every individual, we even have a gamer's club for people who enjoy playing video games in their free time. The restaurant choices, and campus cafe always have good food. The Commons on the Green is definitely the place to be, for awesome food, games, and fun. I know for a fact that my college experience is going to be amazing.

Khadija

I love it! I truly feel as though this school was made for me.

Deja

So far the school lacks majors, but other than that, it is a demanding school that allows its students to have the resources they need. I would mainly recommend the school for anyone looking to become someone in the medical field or technology area. It is a pretty good school overall.

Rai

It's not an ideal college. It's not somewhere you go if you want a true college experience. In my opinion there is not that much to do, you just go to class then you go home. Organizations, soros, and frats make it a little better but not too much. There isn't really a valid reason to come here unless you're pre-med or just looking for cheap. The price is probably the best part about this school.

Julian

Its okay. As an engineering student I feel as though the whole place is built around medicine and all other fields are secondary. The staff have so far been very friendly and willing to work with students. Their online resources are kind of all over the place and don't feel consolidated. Housing staff are friendly. Our room was out of wifi for my entire first semester but they discounted housing for the next, which was totally unexpected.

JP

Overall, I’m satisfied with UAB. The academics and campus life is great, but the housing opportunities could be better. UAB football is coming back, so that’s always something to go and see on the weekends. Parking is terrible though, there are barely any places to park in and around campus.

Being a first-time freshman at UAB was a significant step forward in my academic success. At first, I was a little nervous to go to a big school that known for their diversity and academics but the people at UAB made me feel like a family and made me think that anybody can come here and be safe because that's how we set our environment to everybody. I'm glad that I'm attending UAB and I wouldn't want it any other way.

HANNAH

UAB is a very diverse campus that has something for everyone! The food may not be that great, but the housing is spectacular! There is also plenty to do on and around campus so you will never be bored. Everyone I have met so far is great and very intelligent. Peers and professors at UAB will definitely encourage you to be the best you can be!

Virgil

It's a typical school. It's not amazing, but it's not terrible either. It's no place to get excited for, but occasionally we do have some fun. It has a very laid back atmosphere. Now, I wish there was more to do around the campus. Seldom events rarely happen that are interesting, However, UAB is very diverse, and I do find that pretty unique. I wish some of their professors were a little bit more lenient as far as work and grades are concerned; however, that is not their responsibility but the student's. UAB is overall a good school, but if it were to fix a few small things, it has potential to be a great school.

Brandi

There are so many options for any major one could want to go into. It's the only college I know that's nearby and in-state and has Accounting with a concentration in forensics. The University of Alabama at Birmingham is my top college choice and I doubt I'll regret my decision.

Jung

Good

Judson

The University of Alabama at Birmingham is located in the middle of downtown Birmingham. This allows students to have a wide variety of options in how we spend our time outside of the classroom. Currently, I have attended UAB for a year and a half and have enjoyed it immensely. It's in the middle of a big city, while also being within walking distance for everything that students need. I highly recommend this university to undecided students.

Amaiya

I think that UAB is a great campus and I would recommend everyone to visit. The atmosphere is great and the campus is beautiful. The campus is down town Birmingham so the students have access to everything they need. Even though it is down town and their are a lot of people, there is never a time where you won't feel safe. I love UAB!

Olivia

I love the school. There is so many things and opportunities to do here. The class sizes are perfect and the professors even try to get to know you and know your name. The only bad thing is I wish their was more food options. I would suggest a chick fa a.

Enrique

Love the diversity!!

University of Alabama at Birmingham provides many majors that are not offered at other places. My major Genetics is one of these majors that are rarely offered at any college. UAB also offers a variety of different courses that are interesting to take. However, there seems to be many downsides to going to this college. First on-campus housing, I live in Camp Hall which is great overall, but on move in day I noticed many disturbing things about my room. For example, my closet smelled like pee it was very bad and it ended up stinking up the whole dorm, my hall is a service animal hall, but the pee was not an animals. My dorm also ended up smelling really strongly of B.O. I was not warned about these smells before entering my dorm, but I was lucky enough to bring enough air fresher to make the room smell better. These smells did not go away for weeks, even with extensive sweeping and mopping. Second the Commons, the main dinning place on campus, it was great for the first few weeks, but after a while it got repetitive. However, that is not the worst part of it. One morning I went to the Commons to get some pancakes to eat, but when I bite into one I found some type of mystery meat inside, when I looked at my second pancake it did not look like this. Third, like many other colleges, UAB hits you with unexpected fees. One has to deal with your insurance plan, if you do not have a certain insurance plan then you are required to purchase UAB insurance plan which is $2,000. For these reasons I would not recommend this college unless you are prepared to live off-campus and cook your own food.

Abayomi

I love it. My opinion hasn't changed in the 4 years I've been here. The teachers and staff are caring, the classes are small enough, there are soooo many opportunities for students to get involved with the school, and also many opportunities and connections to be made after graduation.

reece

Overall, I have truly enjoyed my experience at the University of Alabama at Birmingham thus far. Ever since I have been here, I have felt welcomed everywhere I have gone. The academics are outstanding, and the teachers reply to your emails usually within a few hours. In addition, being someone who loves sports, there is always something going on at the rec center, which gives people stuff to do during hours when they do not have class. My first year has been fantastic, and I cannot wait to see what the next three years has to offer.

LaTeeka

The University of Alabama at Birmingham is an exceptional school. The professors are as helpful as possible when available. There is a counselor available to aid in job placement. The opportunity to intern is always available. They even have job opportunities for their graduates. It's an awesome school.

Cody

I have absolutely loved attending the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB). At first I was scared for my safety, worried about making friends, and concerned about the fast-paced city life. I have sense come to realize that all of my fears were false. I have developed a deeply rooted love for the city of Birmingham, Alabama and all of the people who make each day amazing!

Morgan

The University of Alabama at Birmingham is an urban campus, so it is definitely a school for those students who don't mind living in a city. I, personally, have come to love the crosswalks, random traffic noises, and the bustle of people during lunch hour. There's always a good place to eat or go for entertainment, whether it be on or off of campus, but we are a decent-sized campus. As a technologically-advanced school, we are constantly upgrading, and have two buildings actually being built right now so we can tear down an old one to make a parking lot for all of the students who are applying and attending UAB. Overall, I love my school. Go Blazers!

Janai

The University of Alabama has many different opportunities for each and every student. The school helps guide you and lead you in the classroom and outside the classroom. The school is very safe and provides many different policies to help their students if they are ever injured. The school is somewhere where any parent would love to bring their kids.

Take our Scholarship Match Quiz!