Huntsville, AL
University of Alabama in Huntsville

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Alabama in Huntsville

Heather

My classmates are verble and helpful to each other.

My classmates are verble and helpful to each other.

I would tell myself to work hard and stay focused. By doing this you will be ready for college. Also, dont stress out so much, school can be stressful but you always will have God, family, and friends there to help you. Just keep your head on straight and dont get too distracted.

The best thing about my school in the student interaction. Yes, students are serious about their academics but the college always has something going on on campus. The student affiliation with sports, greek life, extc is very high and does help new students or former students meet new people and begin to grow long life friendships.

The University of Alabama in Huntsville is a community involved, well accredited school.

As a high school student, do not rely on your teachers to remind you when assignments are due; keep up with your own due dates. Decide career goal, university, and scholarships early on in your senior year, rather than waiting until the last minute. Do not worry about how many friends you have in high school, when yo being college it is not easy to keep up with everyone. Make sure you keep close with your real friends.

The University of Alabam is extremely expensive.

Amun

The best thing about UAH (The University of Alabama in Huntsville), for me, is the strength of the technical sciences and engineering fields and courses. The math, physics, and chemistry courses all have been very informative, and I personally feel like I have gained a good grasp of the concepts. The connections the university has with nearby companies and research facilities also allows students to have easy access to work life in their field. The school could improve by providing more food venues for students. I find myself eating pizza too often on campus. The size of classes at UAH are very reasonable. The largest class I have had has consisted of 110 students. Being part of an engineering club makes me spend most of my time in a lab of one the research buildings on campus. Being an engineering major, I spend most of my classes in the Technology Hall. The biggest controversy was the shooting that happened two years ago on campus. It stirred up many questions on whether UAH's relatively quite campus was safe or not. A more recent controversy would be whether UAH was going to abandon the hockey program. Students especially did not like this because hockey was one of the few sports we actually had. Launching a high altitude weather balloon was one of the most memorable experiences so far, because I wrote the program that collected the data from the flight and seeing it work was pretty awesome. Students most often complain about the food, and the lack of a party environment on campus.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

Going to this school I could save money as well as get a good engineering degree, so it seemed to be the best option.

The technical clubs are the most popular among my friends. The Engineering clubs on campus have a lot to offer. The Space Hardware Club is the group I am involved in, and it primarily deals with the main aspects dealing with satellites and rockets as well has high altitude ballooning. This clubs gives great experience with computers, engineering design, and presentations about the designs. Sports are not hugely popular at UAH; however, students were upset when the administration was planning to drop the hockey program. It seems everybody at UAH is in a relationship with somebody. You have to be careful not to make a move on somebody who is taken. Most of my friends I have met through study groups and the Space Hardware Club. Halloween parties happen every year as well as hide seek type game Zombies vs. Humans. I do not know much about it. Parties are common on weekends of importance like Halloween and throughout the semester, but I would highly doubt seeing one on a week night. I have a good friend in a sorority and it seems to take up her time. Last weekend I attended a New Years party with some of my buddies from other schools. There are often basketball games or other sporting events on the weekends, as well as concerts on campus. I have a band that plays every weekend. My friends and I also will go up to Mano Sano State Park and hike.

The students at UAH seem fairly normal in my opinion. Like I have said, they are very willing to assist others in studying. I have also met most of my friends through study groups and academic related clubs. Wild party goers would feel out of place, but for the most part there is something that everybody could take away from getting their education from UAH. Many students are from the nearby living area, commuters. Still there are foreign students who attend through abroad programs. On the whole most of the students on campus are financially stable, and that is in part due to the Huntsville/Madison area being so financially stable. There are not any racial conflicts on campus. I am Indian and I have white, Chinese, Korean, and African American friends. I have had several political conversations with students on campuses. I am not the most knowledgeable person on the subject but many of my friends do have ideas about politics.

The classes at UAH (The University of Alabama in Huntsville) are relatively small. The largest class I have been has consisted of 110 students. However, I know a professor in the nursing department who has told me that she has taught a class of about 250 students. Because of this aquatinting oneself with professors is easy. My favorite class so far has been Engineering Dynamics. The professor who taught was extremely thorough, and made the class very enjoyable. My least favorite class would have to be General Chemistry Two. While the teacher provided many opportunities to study outside of class, the tests he gave were extremely difficult with averages in the 50's. However, while I felt like I was struggling in the class, I was able to score in the 86th percentile on the ACS National exam. One social connection I make in school is through study groups. This is how I have actually met most of my college friends. The most unique class I have taken has been the Introduction Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering course. It required tons of time, but taught many major team building skills because of the team design project. Students are very helpful on campus and very willing to study with others. Competition has benefits by raising the bar, but it can also create a stressful environment. The Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering department at UAH is very strong and geared well to providing student with real experiences. I was able to receive a co-op position with ease through the career development center and the university's career fair. Also the department outreaches to the clubs on campus providing them with support.

The general stereotype of the students at UAH (The University of Alabama in Huntsville) is that we are not party goers. UAH is the least wild major university in Alabama, and the students attending tend to have chosen UAH over the other schools because they care more about getting an education than having a wild social life.

Sam

High school was the best four years of my life. I developed friends that I will have for the rest of my life and I learned about what I wanted to do for my future. Now that I am graduated, I look back and think about all the things that I could of done differently. If I could go back in time and do things differently, there would've of been a lot of changes. The first thing would of been grades. I had good grades all through school. But I would've worked a lot harder especially in my math classes, so that I would'nt be behind during my freshman year of college. The second thing I would've done differently would be to have studied harder for my tests. I now know that having strong study skills in high school helps in college when your having exams and final exams. The last thing I would've done is saved my money. I never had a job during high school and it would've helped a lot more if I would've worked and saved my money so that I would create good money skills before entering college.

Shari

The University of Alabama-Huntsville is a very diverse, motivational, and success-promoting educational institute; therefore, students are expected to study hard and work hard; the admssion process is also very easy and smooth transitioning to make prospective and current students more at ease.

Hey there self! What are you thinking waiting to fill out college and scholarship applications? You have awesome grades and a drive about yourself. Do not waste time procrastinating. Sure school is challenging but most people are trying to scare you into thinking you cannot do it. Once you get here, you will know that you are prepared. The educational benefit you will receive will help your further your education to the masters and doctoral levels. You know you can do it. School can open so many doors of opportunities. Do not forget to study hard and party later. There are so many temptations and extra curricular activities that can distract your focus from your studies. It is up to you to knuckle back down and find a balance between work and play. Enjoy the experience, but remember every year counts, especially to new jobs you will apply for after graduation. I would offer this advice not only to myself but to others as well. College is filled with fun learning as well as frustration; however, all risks and challenges are well worth it in the long run. College can enhance character, competitive-edge, and deliver a world of success.

I consider there to be many challenges and peer competition to achieve success. However, these are stepping stones to overcome and should not be considered the worst things about the school. There are teachers that expect a lot, and there are sure to be difficult exams; unfortunately, no one said that earning your education would be easy. A person has to work for what he or she wants. So in considering the worst thing about school, I'd have to conclude that there are only challenges to meet head on.

juan

Use the tuition money wisely and plan to finish in four year rather than wait and wast more money on one more year of college...

Just the amount of activities present for students. there isn't much variety like writing, guitar, or other sports recreation. the big fault is the tuition cost is going up every year.

Those who like to watch football games. Those who dont take thier degree seriously or classes rather. If they want to be near the beach this college is 6 hours away from the nearest beach.

Rhonda

I am 42 years old. It has been years since my high school days, and I have learned many things since then. Most important is GO TO COLLEGE!! Going to college is not a "scary" thing. Even though you have no money, no support, you can still attend college. Don't worry about choosing a career right now. Go your first two years and do your general's. In two years you will be more mature, experienced more life, and have more of an idea of the direction you want to go. You will have a place to live and can get a part-time job or apply for work-study. And, yes you are smart enough. Be proud of yourself, be confident, you are a young, beautiful lady, don't waste your cognitive abilities. There is plenty of time to work and raise a family. Right now is your time. Be selfish, think only of you and what you want out of life, everybody else can take care of themselves. Go to college, stay up late with your friends, be a regular at the coffee shops, be involved in study groups, go skiing, your only young once.

Sara

I would tell myself, be prepared for big chages that are going to happen in the future because things won't be like they are now. I would say, "Your friends will change, your classes will be hard, you will be stressed out all the time. But, don't loose yourself and who you are as a person. Don't forget why you are going college and what you're interested in. Don't forget that you are the 'change' people want to see in the world. Work hard to keep the connections you have with your closest friends, because they will carry you through your dark days, when you have them. Strive to be better than you are now. Get involved on your campus. Start applying for scholarships, now becuase you will need the money. Oh, and you are going to love Rummy (pet cat)! Stay in touch with Mom and Dad becuase they will always be there!" Thank You :)

I'm having a hard time thinking of people who shouldn't attend this college. It's well rounded, although, it's a little small. There aren't that many students, and I could see some students not being satisfied with the size. Also, we do not have a football team, so that might be a problem for some students.

Some of the professors are too engaged in their research and not engaged enough with their students. I've taken some classes, where teachers can't come to work, because they are off doing research trips. It's good that they are passionate about what they do, but if they can't teach it at a student level, that might be a problem.

Jacoby

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would first tell myself to take the advice of my teachers and pursue a caree in Engineering. I would also tell myself to not take college so seriously and not allow yourself to opportunity to balance your lifestyle. Studying is a great habit and should be taken seriously, but too much studying and no leisure time is not healthy and may cause more harm than good. I would advise myself to be more open to meeting new people and taking full advantage of opportunities to pursue a co-op or intern position with a company in parallel with college studies. This will make the transition from college to the professional job seeking market much smoother and easier than approaching from a non-experience angle.

Before attending the University of Alabama In Huntsville, I wish I had known what opportunities an engineering degree would benefit me while attending Auburn University. After being in the corportate industry for 7 years and being laid off from my previous job, I now realize that having an engineering degree would have possibly prevented my layoff. While at Auburn University I obtained an Industrial Design degree, something that I was extremely passionate about, but being located in an "engineering city" definitely calls for job seekers to have the engineering degree credentials.

The University of Alabama In Huntsville has not posed any bad experiences within my college experience. The only thing that the University of Alabama In Huntsville lacks is a football team.

Todd

The University of Alabama is best know for its' Engineering program.

The University of Alabama is best know for its' Engineering program.

My college experience thus far has been an exceptional one. I have gained knowledge and made friends that I will never forget. What I have gotten out of college so far is a realization of what the real world is like. I must work hard so that I may be competitive in today’s job market. College is important to attend because, without an education people cannot get far in life. If anyone wants to have a prosperous and successful life, one of the best ways to accomplish that is to attend college. I feel that once I graduate, I will be well-prepared and ready to go out into my field of choice and perform well. College has also been valuable because I have met many engineers, which are in Graduate School, that have extremely helpful advice for an undergraduate like me. Being in college also means that I have the opportunity to Co-Op or intern at several different companies. This will allow me to graduate with hands-on experience within my field. Why has college been valuable to attend? It will enable me to contribute to society.

Any type of person can attend this school.

University of Alabama in Huntsville administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.