University of Alabama in Huntsville Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Alabama in Huntsville

Overall, the campus is a really good place to be, and there's plenty of opportunities around campus in Huntsville, so there's no shortage of potential for students, especially students of engineering or science. I've also heard that the nursing program is very good. That said, the on campus dining options are mediocre and the financial aid leaves much to be desired. If you're more worried about opportunities in the future than the financial strain now, then you're all good.

Overall, University of Alabama in Huntsville is a wonderful school academically. They will push you hard and in STEM related programs they will set you up for success. However, if you are not in a STEM related program or in nursing they may not care as much about you and will not offer any additional scholarships. Also, I find the student life to be disappointing. I joined a sorority because there is not many other ways to meet people and I still do not get to do much socially. Nobody cares about sports here because we do not have a football team and honestly I think a lot of people get depressed because of the lack of social life here. So if all you care about is academics I would recommend you come here, but do not expect to have a super exciting college experience.

The University of Alabama in Huntsville is a wonderful place to learn. I'm currently enrolled in the Honors College on campus, which offers a more rigorous learning experience. The housing consists of dorms with suites that have four individual bedrooms. The community in the dorms is very welcoming and engaged. Professors interact rather closely with students because many classes are about 20 to 30 people. The campus cafeterias and restaurants cater to everyone's preferences and provide high-quality food.

Izzy

I really enjoy this college, it has many opportunities for students to get involved in the field they are in before graduating. I do not know much about the school night life or on campus dorms, for i live off of campus near by. But, the commute from home to school is not all too bad, just make about 5-10 minutes for traffic. Overall, i really love going to school here because it is an academically great school for my major and it has been challenging me thus far.

Lydia

My parents are big on safety and security as they're both military, and they were extremely worried that I'd be going to a school with absolutely NO family nearby. However, upon touring the school, they found it fairly easy to navigate, very safe and open, and comfortably involved in student livelihood. The advisers were quick to accommodate to my availability (I was out of state to welcome my father home from deployment), and helped me schedule my classes over email.

Kaylan

It's a nice campus in a nice area and the education is pretty decent. I wish there was more diversity in culture as a whole in the student body `and the extracuricular activities wer more exciting, but other than that it's an overall good school. I enjoy the classroom settings and how involved the advisors and professors are with the students. I had transferred here from another school and the professors there were so difficult to reach and had no office hours. The staff is more one on one with students at UAH.

Brie

We have a nice campus with plenty of things to do. Lots to be involved in if that’s your thing. The campus is close to shopping, food, entertainment, and apartment complexes. Most facilities are nice and updated. Our sports are competitive. The professors are helpful and available when needed.

Mil'Yonta

The group of people here are so diverse. Majority are friendly and will be happy to help you if you are in need of it or, if you just want to talk, they are very friendly. The class sizes , with the exception of some science classes, are very small and the teachers tend to always be willing to help as long as you show that you want to do better.

Christopher

Since orientation, everyone I talked to at the University of Alabama in Huntsville made me feel at home. Their was never a sense of bullying or inequality. It was because of this that this school began to grow on me. I have been at UAH for three years now and while it may be smaller than it's branch in Tuscaloosa, I have never felt like my education was worse off. Every professor that I've had always seemed fair and genuinely concerned for their student's learning. As far as safety on the school grounds, campus police routinely make patrols through school and because of this I have never felt unsafe. As far as student life goes, UAH offers great extracuicular activities through ace and also has a great Greek life. I have met some great friends and overall i believe UAH is a certainly a school that is up and coming on becoming one of the top-tier schools in Alabama. Charge on!

UAH is a great school overall. My professors have been wonderful and I have learned a lot in my first year attending. All the students at UAH are very friendly and helpful. You do not have to be in a sorority or fraternity to get involved at UAH. Although UAH is a highly science and engineering based school, the business and liberal arts programs are very good. My favorite thing about UAH is the student culture. UAH has good food selection on campus but it could be better. All of my classes so far have had less than 30 students, and all of my professors knew my name personally and cared about my success in their class. Whether you are introverted or extroverted, making friends is easy at UAH! There are tons of clubs to get involved in, ranging from martial arts to bee keeping. My least favorite thing about UAH is their lack of study abroad programs. There are a few opportunities if you are a Business major or if you are majoring in a foreign language, but that's about it. However, UAH is working to improve their study abroad opportunities, and started holding a Study Abroad fair to gauge student interest. Overall, UAH is a challenging but rewarding university with a thriving student culture and wonderful professors. If I had to choose again, I would still choose UAH!

katelyn

UAH is a great school! The academics is definitely difficult, but they definitely help in any way they can for you to succeed. Our athletics is great including our hockey team! We also have a minor hockey team as well as a minor baseball team in Huntsville. We have so many student organizations for every student and interest including the gaming scene. There is always something to do around the city, and there is always something to do on campus. The food can be good and can be not so good. They will definitely push you to pursue your professional career and help you to achieve whatever you want.

Devon

It is a very STEM-focused school and has a lot of nearby opportunities. There are a ton of defense contracting kind of places nearby and also NASA, so if you're in the STEM field and want to be involved with extracurricular activities, this is a great place. There are several clubs on campus with very helpful connections to those places, as well, to help with internship recommendations.

I am currently sitting in the Charger Union at the University of Alabama in Huntsville. It is a Sunday afternoon and there are a lot of people here who are studying, eating and hanging out with friends. This explains the environment here. The school is average size where you really learn to feel at home. Students know how to have fun but are also very dedicated to their studies.

McKenna

Unforgiving toward students with financial needs. Do not help financially whatsoever. They're function is as a research university. Do not come here and expect to get scholarships if you aren't going to do research or don't have a 28+ ACT score. My widowed mother makes less than 40,000 a year and so I have to work 3 jobs just to pay for my tuition as well as food and gas. My GPA of course suffers from this but UAH doesn't care; they don't invest in students with lower GPAs.

Katelyn

It is a campus full of intelligent fellow peers whom are focused on academics rather than night life, which seems to be the the case for many other colleges. By doing so, we are more prepared for the impact of the real world and thus can support ourselves. The staff supports the students well and there are many tutoring opportunities for those falling behind. Also, the scholarships are amazing especially for such a good school.

UAH is a very good school that is definitely a good choice for students serious about their education. The academics are great; classes are thorough and challenging, without being unnecessarily difficult or confusing. There are plenty of ways to be active in the school and the community outside of class, but not so many big parties and events that distract students from their studies (as tend to be prevalent at other universities). The campus also feels very safe and welcoming; it is a friendly environment for students of all kinds. The faculty and staff are wonderful as well; they are friendly and willing to help out their students.

Overall, I am excited to wake up every morning and attend class. The sciences classes are usually rather BIG and I don't enjoy that but overall, still a good ratio between student and professor. Each professor (that I have had) has cared about learning and us passing the class. I would have to give mostly everything a 5 star rating from in class to outside of class activities.

The University of Alabama in Huntsville is an amazing college with numerous opportunities for its students. With an amazing Association for Campus Entertainment, the student life is diverse and social with so many chances to get out and meet new people. Also, with Huntsville having one of the largest research parks in the country, there are many opportunities for internships which allow for a great return in investment.

Kiandra

It is the number one school in Alabama. The people there are very kind and willing to help you. If you want to got to a great school choose this one.

Timothy

I have enjoyed my first two years at UAH. My first year I lived on campus, and my second year I lived off-campus. I roomed with 3 of my friends from high school, and couldn't have asked for a better setup. We lived in the same building as the Cafe. All of the teachers that I've had have been terrific! I used Rate My Professors to select my teachers, and it has worked great. The class and timing selections were more than enough for my first two years. Canvas is great for the students to turn in assignments and get the materials. My overall opinion of UAH is that it is a great school for those who like to be involved with smaller sized clubs, who enjoy their classes, and who are not super big into the "party life". There are events for those who do love to party, but it is not what makes UAH the school it is. There are many smaller clubs that anyone can be a part of.

The University of Alabama in Huntsville is one of the most phenomenal schools that I have ever had the privilege of attending. Every professor that I had was supportive of my goals and made a significant effort to help me achieve them. At this University, there are tons of opportunities to receive internships, scholarships, and excellent career experience. It is also one of the safest campuses to attend because there is little crime that occurs, and there is consistent police patrolling to make sure that the students are taken care of. I couldn't imagine ever going to another college because of how amazing the University of Alabama in Huntsville truly is.

Elise

The University of Alabama in Huntsville is a great university. There are lots of opportunities to get involved on campus. It offers a great variety of events for students to attend and help out with. The professors are available during their office hours and they are very eager to help students succeed. The campus is beautiful and there is always something for students to do.

Mike

Let's start with housing. It's over priced the cheapest dorm is will average 675 a month over a 4 month period or 2700 a semester and they have roaches in them the rest are 3,000 or higher and they require you to live on campus for two years which in my opinion is a waste of time and money since they also require a 1300 dollar meal plan for all freshman which will be a waste to students but all profit for them and they're also running out of housing so if they tell you to apply and they run out of space they'll charge 3100 a semester to live in a hotel but since you're required they force you. Teachers: Some are good most are bad. If you can't learn on your own RUN away but regardless you'll still hate these teachers who live in a theoretical world and can't relate to their students enough to get their point across Food: Chick Fila is the only thing I like about food options but all food places close at 8 so if you only have cafe swipes you better have money to spend in overpriced wow or you're hungry till tomorrow Parking: one word TERRIBLE Overall synopsis is this is a school that looks great on paper but the experience is terrible if it weren't for corporate worlds opinon of this school I wouldn't be here I actually hate it here but I'm stuck till I graduate. My advice is don't believe the tour guides find at least 6 students just walking around campus and ask their opinion of the school because the tour guides are trained to skip over the downside

Kendrick

I have been at the university going on three years, I am currently an advanced sophomore (four hours away from being a junior). I love the environment around the campus and the facilities. The course load is pretty tough, but I know it will prepare me for what to expect in the real world.

Jacob

I love this school. When I first started out my first semester, I did not participate in any activities outside the dorm. I soon began to make friends all over campus and regularly participate in the many activities all across campus. The University of Alabama also has a fantastic hockey following. This school is a blast, and I wouldn't be this happy anywhere else.

richard

Nice campus, new facilities with student center and theater. Students and staff are welcoming. Students have lots of support. Core classes offer peer study support from previous semester to help navigate current students through the class. UAH has a very diverse student life. The area is still growing, new restaurants and stores are popping up all the time.

Ankur

UAH is a pretty good school in terms of academics, facilities, and work opportunities. I had no trouble in getting an on-campus student research assistant job in my first semester but of course, I had to take the steps and talk to the professor. Apart from a few professors, the faculty is very helpful and wants their students to succeed. This is primarily a science and engineering school and that is understandable given the influence of NASA in Huntsville.

Sydnee

As a current student I can confidently say The University of Alabama in Huntsville is a superb college with immense focus on student success. Students are not only encouraged to do their absolute best in class, sports, and extracurricular activities: but they are also given every tool necessary for them to succeed. This includes invested teachers and staff, free tutoring, free mentoring, and accessibility to a fully stocked library.

Larissa

I believe the University of Alabama in Huntsville to be a very STEM driven school. Everyone is always reaching out to help and everyone is really helpful. The school itself looks like a place where you can focus and have fun. I would love to be there soon!

Alexandria

I enjoy it becuase you don't have the constant nuisance of SEC since we don't even have a team. However, it is still a business and sometimes gets rather aggravating all the tack on fees and loop holes they take to increase profit margins, but what college doesn't. Some of the grad students that teach aren't very good as teachers but do help when talked to one-on-one. Though the teachers all seem to love their job and are eager to help and provide a multitude of opportunities to see them if you need additional help. If that isn't enough, the on campus tutoring and PASS sessions are phenomenal. And hey, plenty of students are willing to help and who doesn't want a friend that doubles as a study buddy?

Alekz

UAH is not my ideal school. It is an excellent place for engineers, nurses, and educators, but not much else. There is very little artistic expression and very few opportunities for unique student events. Everything gets lost in trying to recruit students and be the best at one thing. It is a school with nothing special in particular about it, and I plan to transfer when I can. Not a bad school, just not for those looking for that extra and unique something.

Gabrielle

I feel that UAH is above average in every category. When I was touring the campus I found that the university as a whole checked off all of my boxes. The medium size of the school creates a family unit amongst the students but also allows you to find yourself because of the variety of people. I think this quality along with the other characteristics like great professors and fantastic facilities makes it a top university.

Mary

The campus is fairly nice with new buildings being built. The campus does have a appalling lack of parking. The college of science has some amazing professors and a very challenging course load. All in all a good school with a heavy emphasis on the STEM fields.

Abe

Overall UAH was a decent experience for me. The Dean of my program was very helpful and most of the teachers were helpful and easy to get into contact with. I did have several issues with security making threats to us as the students, for doing what our teachers instructed us to do no less. I found administration to be hard to deal with also. The location was what brought me to and kept me at UAH. Huntsville is where I live and work then and now. Lots of job opportunities in the area.

Ian

this has been one of the best colleges I've visited while searching for a college. the hospitality is great and everyone you meet is very nice and willing to strike a conversation with you. I'm so glad that I get to attend this college in the fall and to meet new people.

Jewel

My overall opinion of my college, The University of Alabama at Huntsville, is that it is a great college. It has so many opportunities for a college student and also visitors. Also, there is tons of ways to get involved on campus and plenty of ways to make friends. Two of my favorite things to do to get involved is Greek life and also intramural sports. There is also so many things you can do to get involved. The professors are always close by to help you if you have any questions about a class. The campus is also beautiful. You have many places to dine and to hang out with your friends or even study. The University of Alabama at Huntsville was the best college decision that I could have ever made.

Mc Kenzie

University of Alabama at Huntsville has a great campus. It is small enough that I will get a tailored education but not too small that I wouldn't get a great college experience. Huntsville has plenty of activities going on in the city but it is also a small enough city that it has great suburban housing.

Great place to get an education on an undergraduate and graduate level.

Riann

UAH seems like a promising school from the outside looking in, however it seems to only set up a particular type of person for success. The professors are not necessarily competent, but the coursework is overly complicated and challenging. The social scene here is not very good either and most of the students and staff are pretty rude or unsociable. The food options on campus are already limited as is, but if you have dietary restrictions just forget about trying to find something to eat. UAH has a high percentage of student employment within the university, however they do not respect or value their student employees. Overall, UAH offers amazing scholarships and employment opportunities, but the saying “too good to be true” holds strong. I do regret coming here and would not recommend it to any prospective students.

Ashton

The University of Alabama in Huntsville is overall decent. There are many academic/recreational/career oriented extracurriculars to which are offered. As of now, I have enjoyed my education here and feel as though I will continue to make UAH’s campus my home for the next few years.

Caylin

The University of Alabama in Huntsville is a great place to learn. It is very challenging but the professors are doing everything to benefit the student. The dining services are great and there is plenty of opportunities to get involved in many different groups.

Justin

Unless your goal is engineering, don’t come here. I’m doing a biology science degree, and it’s terrible. The teachers barely know what they’re talking about, and they consider teaching a hassle they didn’t sign up for. The first speech I heard was a speech telling me they didn’t care about my life or my pre med or preprofessional degree, and they don’t intend to let us drop if we do badly. A few days in now, and I’m receiving bad grades for things that should’ve been good grades. The teachers are all idiots, and none of them care a lick about you. Go somewhere else.

Jordan

Hello I am Jordan Knox and I am currently a freshman at The University of Alabama in Huntsville and I absolutely love it. My first experience on campus was orientation and it was amazing because there were so many welcoming people on campus. The campus itself is so beautiful and it makes me feel at home. UAH offers so many opportunities for students to get involved and to succeed. They only want the best for their students because they provide you with all of the tools you need. So there is no reason you should fail unless it’s on you! Campus life is so wonderful you get to go to class but also enjoy the safe and fun college experience.

Courtney

I highly recommend considering the University of Alabama in Huntsville. I recently got to see the campus, and it was absolutely gorgeous. Everyone I ran into was extremely nice which I very much appreciated. There is also so much to do in Huntsville. I can drive 5 minutes down the road and have tons to do.

Haley

There are both positive and negative aspects of UAH. The on-campus housing is all suite-style. The food on campus is pretty good. As a member of Greek life, I love the greek aspect of campus. It's not huge, but it is definitely a big plus of campus for me. The city of Huntsville is slowly growing into more of a college town. The new restaurants and shopping centers should be finished in the next couple of years. As for campus itself, I have found it difficult to talk to most of the major departments on campus such as housing, financial aid, or the bursar. The school also has a great engineering program, but the other programs are fairly mediocre.

marcus

I really enjoy the university it's real easy to make friends, and the professors are always willing to help you if you have any questions. I have already been trying to talk my brother to come to that school when he graduates. They have so many clubs you can join to keep you busy so you don't get home sick that much.