University of Alaska Anchorage Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Alaska Anchorage

Noah

It is a decent school. My only problem is every semester there is at least one professor that just doesn't understand how to teach and assumes everyone in the class comes into the class already understating the majority of it. When there are lots of us that have no prior knowledge of the subject.

Madison

University of Alaska Anchorage is a welcoming school for people of all backgrounds, regardless of age. It is centrally located, and easy to walk around. There is a lake near by, as well as a stream running right behind the dorms. They are currently updating the dorms, making them more inviting and livable for students. Overall I love my school, and it works for me.

Miranda

I like UAA. It's peaceful and the scenery is gorgeous to study outside. I love walking to class when it's snowing. It's peaceful but just be prepared for the brrrrrrrr chill. It's definitely a great campus. The faculty are great and the class sizes are great as well. I've enjoyed my almost three years here. Everyone is really nice and friendly. You wont regret coming here!

Patrick

Could be a lot better college if they were not all about STEM and the money they receive from oil companies. If they actually cared about students and what the students wanted instead of the oil money, maybe the enrollment and graduation numbers would be higher.

Sarina

The relationship between students and faculty vary greatly. Some professors are wonderful and understanding, while some couldn't care less if you miss a class after a family member dies. The admissions staff are rude and all but verbally refuse to give you more than five minutes of their time. You'd be hard-pressed to find a student who isn't stuck in their high school mentality. The Anchorage campus is known to be unsafe for women and don't go out alone at night. If I could afford to attend another school, I would.

Star

University of Alaska Anchorage is a great college! The student to teacher ratio is perfect. The teachers always have time for each individual student and are such a big help if you need it. There is also so much offered there in not just academics, but life outside of the classroom. The clubs allow lots of opportunities to meet new people and make many friends and the sports are just the same! The dorms have a classic touch to them and plenty of space to decorate it how you wish.

donovan

The school is over priced what you are allowed to do, the facilities are nice but once again everything costs some type of money.Even this is true I will say the staff try to be as helpful as possible. The school does not descromenate again race, ethnicity, or sex nor do they bow it out of porportin when it is done. Over all it is a good school to attend.

Diana

UAA is not great, but it isn't terrible either. The students are mostly people who have lived here for most of their lives, and chose to go here because it was a cheaper option than going out of state. I feel that people here usually keep to themselves; go to class and go home. Some professors are great, and some are not so great. All in all, it's alright. You get what you pay for.

Antionette

Its very chill here on campus, there isn't really much happening, but it's not completely dead either. Despite the low enrollment numbers, parking can be hard to find. Professors are cool, but it can be hard to get in contact with administrative people, so if you have a problem with your financial aid or your scholarships, expect to spend a few hours bouncing around trying to find who you need. There are a lot of "non-traditional" students, which means they're older and have jobs outside of attending school. Most of them have a lot to say about stuff, especially if they're older than the professor (which does happen) or they were military (very common). The residence halls were recently renovated, but there are only like 1,000 beds so if you want in, you gotta sign up quick. Drinking is allowed on campus if you are in your dorm and over 21 but its a limitted amount, and the party scene isn't very big here. A lot of religious (read Christian) people actually go here, while a lot of the older students tend to be very cynical and atheist. Expect to see a lot of advertisement and talk about conservative issues.

Hana

It is a decent school. There is not much variety in terms of academics or extra cirriculars. The tuition costs and campus fees are quite high, especially for a state college. Most of the actual professors I have had were knowledgeable and helpful. Overall, it is a good college for certain programs, such as nursing. The campus itself is nice, and fairly modern.

Sara

n/a

Claudia

I'm starting my first year in college in August so I don't know a lot yet about UAA. But I et with advisors and their where all very friendly and did everything to help me. The UAA campus also seems very safe and every student is nice and if you need help they are all willing to help you. I'm very proud that I get the privilege to attend University of Alaska Anchorage.

kirti

It was a nice experience

Heather

It's a good school. The costs to attend are relatively low in comparison to other schools in the USA. The buildings are taken care of, the food is plentiful, the facilities meet the students needs, and the professors are knowledgeable. Overall, a good school.

Kyndle

I attend the Mat-Su Community College which is a branch off the University of Alaska Anchorage. I am a student of UAA but I don't attend classes there because all my classes are at Mat-Su. I know VERY little about the UAA campus in Anchorage but I know quite a bit about Mat-Su. Mat-Su is a great college because it's so accessible! It's just right outside my hometown, which means I didn't have to completely uproot and drive myself deep into debt when I started college. I didn't have to leave home, quit work, or pay tens of thousands of dollars for tuition. I can still live at home, go to work, and stay involved in the community while going to college! It's a small campus where everyone knows everyone. I have always loved its small town feel. The classes are rigorous and the professors are very knowledgeable.

francis Ian

University of Alaska Anchorage offers a lot of course that you can take with. I love their facilities and their programs for students. The size for every class is pretty awesome, 1:16, which is very beneficial for every students. If you need any financial support, the university offers 300 scholarships to help you out.

Blake

Their college of engineering is fantastic. I have been very impressed with the professors. They are highly knowledgeable and have creative ways of teaching the information. Also, the new engineering buildings are great. I also think the campus is well maintained and accessible.

Oluwakemi

The University of Alaska Anchorage is a very close-knit University that I've often heard described as having the feeling of a community college experience. Our Nursing and Engineering programs are very popular, and infact our Nursing program is up with some of the best Nationally which is very impressive. I do however, wish that our University offered more exciting extracurricular activities and events for students. The party life is not really existent. However, if you are here solely focused on going to class maybe meeting a few friends here and there this is the school for you. There just isn't too much excitement outside of taking classes unlike other, larger Universities.

Katelyn

UAA is a great university with a great education department. The professors really care about their students and assisting them with their studies and courses assignments, projects, and lectures. The professors are very knowledgeable and I have not had a bad experience with their teaching, course design, our class structures.

Dulce

University of Alaska Anchorage is an incredibly diverse and inclusive school. It offers many kinds of opportunities to most kinds of people, and has clubs and different sorts of activities for anybody to join, from knitting clubs to international clubs that travel. UAA offers many opportunities to all kinds of students, and helps many find a path to reaching their personal goals. UAA also offers many programs and help in finding a career when students are undecided and do not know what they want to study. UAA is a well fitting university for all students.

Alexis

I feel like the feel on campus is a good one, the students seem nice and if I have a question from one of my classes then the professors that I have always want to help me learn and understand all that I can. I get a calming atmosphere on campus and even though it is a commuter campus, there are many faces that I see all the time and there are still many that I want to me.

mica

Overall I think it's a pretty decent University. Sometimes I wish there were more activities on campus, especially in the winter. It would've been nice to have more opportunities to make friends outside of my exisiting social group. I also think we need more degree programs

I think UAA us a good school, but it has its flaws. Their chemistry program isn't the best and I wish they had more options and opportunities for class variety. I am not directly involved with stuff that goes on at the campus, but it seems like there is a lot of things that go on during the weekends and nights.

Nadia

The University of Alaska Anchorage is a fairly nice school with strong utilities and opportunities for students. There is a lot of student involvement and team activities/bonding. There is a solid staff of professors which is the primary reason for the academics (most classes are taught with the good kind of fervor and most teachers make it a priority to be available for their students).

Kyle

The University of Alaska, Anchorage has the potential to be an excellent, academic success. However, the faculty and the board of directors are extremely out of touch with their student body. Additionally, UAA is one of the only legitimate options for higher education in South-Central Alaska. This means that very little effort can be put into the school's direction, campus life, and academic integrity, and many local students will have no choice but to accept it. My overall opinion of the University of Alaska, Anchorage is that it is a poorly directed, miss-managed money pit. It has the potential to cultivate an extremely passionate and intelligent student body, but the focus is entirely on money and fast-tracked degree programs. Professors are not given adequate amenities to educate their students, and students are forced to pay rising tuition costs and chase the all-mighty degree certificate in favor of a quality education.

Reuben

It is a great university and has a extremely diverse population of students. The Professors are very helpful and most of them want you to succeed. Students are friendly for the most part and will help each other out. The surrounding area around campus is beautiful.

Katelyn

The University of Alaska Anchorage is close to home, affordable, helpful, and generally a great college. The teachers are respectable, the students are friendly, and the staff is beyond generous. The campus is easy to get around, and has kept to date facilities. The only thing I can complain about, is the cold Alaskan weather and icy roads. In the winter though, the roads are kept to a safe standard. I can proudly say that I am a student of this college, and will forever be a part of the University of Anchorage Alaska. I am very glad to be part of such a stellar school.

Halley

University of Alaska is an affordable state college with many caring and dedicated professors. The schools downsides included an uninspiring campus, unappealing student housing, and the occasional horrible professor. The schools strengths include the availability of community college and online courses, emphasis on native culture, and numerous exceptional professors.

Dulce

I enjoy the campus atmosphere.

Sabrina

It's a great school that I have attended. I like that the classes are small and my questions can be answered. The resources out of the class that are there, really do help. Able to talk to the teacher after class or even before for questions. Even the campus is very clean and organized which I like.

Kristen

My overall opinion of University of Alaska Anchorage is that their classes are pretty straight forward and the professors are willing to help us students. UAA is basically for technicians and for people who are into science and math. Similar to STEM classes in Bethal, Alaska, but much more harder and different.

Adam C

Growing up in Anchorage, I never saw myself attending UAA as an undergrad. I wanted to go somewhere out-of-state and "prestigious". The closer I got to my high school graduation, the more realistic my views became. Attending college, even for a bachelors degree, is a huge financial undertaking. I realized I would never be able to afford something as expensive as out-of-state tuition, on-campus housing, meal plan, etc... During my first semester at UAA I started out as a cynical young man and thought of myself as being above this college I grew up next to. Now, in the spring semester of my sophomore year, I am so, so happy that I am spending my college years attending UAA. In terms of tuition, as an Anchorage resident you will find nothing more affordable. In terms of faculty, I have yet to be disappointed. Every one of my professors has impacted my life in a unique way, and I find myself coming to class not only to learn the material, but to listen to lecture itself. If there is one thing UAA does right, it is having an outstanding selection of qualified staff. The resources provided for students on campus are endless including those for mental health, support systems, academic groups, transportation, fitness; the list goes on and on. If you have brushed UAA aside because of some pre-existing bias, I urge you to look into the programs offered here. Depending on your major, this could be the perfect place for you to receive your higher education. Thank you and I wish you all the best of luck on your journeys.

Leslie

I think UAA is a great school, but due to budget cuts, morale is low among students and faculty.

Halie

UAA is a great option for in state students and out of state students alike. In state students can appreciate a low cost college that provides them with everything they would get from an out of state college experience. Out of state students get a taste of life in Alaska and the beauty that surrounds us while working on getting a degree they can take anywhere. UAA provides a safe and comfortable campus that focuses on helping students reach their educational and career goals.

Eileen

I love all the resources I get to use on campus and the staff and peers are very respectable in a helpful way. I would say our college is pretty diverse and has so many cultures that fascinates me every semester when I meet new people. UAA is the best and my first experience as freshman was awesome can't wait for the adventures that await for me in the next following years to come.

anna

I like it it's a good place to learn and its close. People are nice and there are a lot of different food options.The teachers are helpful and work with you to make sure that you can excel in their class.Some of the facilities are a bit worn down but nothing too shabby,

Brianna

University Of Alaska is a great place to study. There are plenty of classes available to me. I have had positive experiences with the professors and class sizes are reasonable. My only complaint is that there aren't enough classes that are available in evenings or weekends so that we can work around our other work or family life needs.

Joyell

UAA is a relatively great school. They offer a variety of different majors and course work with in each field. Professors are usually easily accessible and are more than willing to help when you need it. The staff, both administrative and faculty are easy to speak to and go above and beyond for the students.

UAA is good school to come to if you are not concerned with the party scene. It has a community college feel with most students commuting in rather than staying on campus. Class sizes are small-- no auditoriums full of students. Student population is older than most universities.

Ami

I believe that my campus is a pretty good campus and is mostly safe. They do not allow religious answers of any kind though, which makes it hard for some students to feel comfortable there. There are many different classes on campus which helps students with pursuing their careers.

shayna

It is a very welcoming school. They are always encouraging students to use as many of the resources they offer and there is always help offered. They also do plenty of orientations for new students and make sure every year that students become informed and dont enter college with any questions. They have never left me with an unanswered question and are very responsive. Everyone is friendly especially the professors. I havent heard or encountered any dangerous situations or any conflicts.

Vivien

The University of Alaska Anchorage is a decent university for unsure students. In the way of financial ethics, the university holds priority of itself over it's student. For a university located in Alaska, there is zero to no pride for Alaskan Natives or their culture. The University of Alaska Anchorage does not participate in Alaskan Native sports, or events. Bringing up sports, the university plays competitively but rarely. Although a variety of sports are available (e.g. basketball, hockey, swimming, etc.) there is little to no pride in these activites and involvement. The campus lacks pride, but the professors are amazing. I've had professors that take time out of their weekends to work through a test, an assignment, or just to answer any questions their students may have. They're very involved and understanding of what their students need.

This school is a total hit or miss. Some courses and professors are great and you will learn a lot, others are simply terrible. This school is okay if you want to stay in state but if you really care about a quality education there are better schools. Professors who have been at UAA a long time are usually great, the problem seems (to me) to be their hiring process, they hire someone people who may be qualified on paper but in no way have the skills to be teaching. New professors know nothing about working with students with disabilities and many are totally unaware of what DSS is and seem to not fully understand what the ADA mandates.

Jordyn

The University of Alaska Anchorage is a wonderful, diverse campus open to everyone's ideas and growth. The learning environment is condusive to gaining knowledge and experiences that will be used after the college experience is over. I have enjoyed my time at UAA so far and I am excited for what the next few years here will hold!

Sierra

The University of Alaska Anchorage is a nice school. The campus is fairly inclusive and accommodates most students. We have an impressive library and decent study spots. The school offers a variety of classes and professors are extremely approachable.

Victoria

Teachers are kind and normally willing to work with students when problems arise. Many of the students commute so UAA does lack a community feel; most social groups are formed in classrooms or in academic greek life. On the upside, UAA has roughly 4-5 coffee shops throughout campus which is wonderful since most of the school year is in the dark of winter and all of us just want to sleep.

Colton

Overall UAA is an interesting college that focuses on health science, social sciences, and the arts but there's obviously more than just that. Dorm life seems rather lax and not horribly stressful in the 3 halls but I hear the off campus apartments are a little tedious to get into.

Kaylen

The University of Alaska Anchorage is an amazing school. The standards are held high, and we are encouraged to do our best at all times. My professor is interested in how we do and desires that we all succeed. I am very glad I decided to go to this University!

Chelsea

I think the University of Alaska Anchorage is an amazing campus with many opportunities if you apply yourself and get involved. There are so many clubs and organizations you can join to get involved. The staff is always trying to help you succeed. Class sizes are a good size. I just really love the campus.

Victoria

It's the local commuter college, it offers WUE so people go there eventhough there's no sense of community between the students, the athletics and much else. The bright side of things are the teachers; they care about their students and want the best for them. UAA also has five coffee shops scattered across campus which is wonderful since much of our school year is spent in the dark and we have no wish to be out of bed without the incentive of caffeine.