UAF provides an affordable, quality education in a truly supportive environment. I would change the logo of this school. My school enrolls about 10 000 students each year, I think it is just right. People react very adequately when they find out I go to UAF, this school has a good reputation. I spend most of the time at the Department. The school's administration is very friendly and supportive. You can definitely feel a lot of school pride. This school is very unique and diverse. Most frequent student complaint is that the parking lot is far from buildings.
1. I really like UAF. The diversity of the people is my favorite thing, but i also like that there are a lot of sports to play and it is easy to join an intramural team or make your own.
2. If i could change one thing i think it would be the food at the Lola Tilly Commons. It is decent, but i think it could be a lot better and more students would utilize it's resources. 3. UAF is a good size, not too small or too big. It's nice because there are always a lot of people you don't know, but everywhere you go you see people you do.
4. I think a lot of my time is spend at the Student Recreation Center. I really enjoy playing sports and working out.
5. I don't think there is much of a "college town" there isn't really that much of anything off campus besides the movies. You can always find stuff to do, but it all comes down to how much fun you can have with your friends and less dependent on what you are doing.
6. The school administration is good. I used to be on the student government and it is really easy to make a difference if you are motivated. The Chancellor is really approachable, I've talked with him many times and he helped me and a few of my friends bring Quidditch to the campus. He even brought all of our brooms and helped us hold a tournament.
7. School pride is dependent on where you are. At sporting events there is a ton of school pride, but besides that there isn't too much. It's there, but not everyone participates in it.
One of the best features of UAF is that the school itself is constantly evolving. The campus is growing to allow for more students and faculty; however, I feel that the campus is just about the right size. While the university offers shuttles around campus it is easily walked on any given day. Going to school in Alaska brings new adventures on a regular basis. The weather can be a challenge, the wildlife can be intimidating, but the education I have recieved cannot compare to any other. UAF is located in the second largest city in Alaska; Fairbanks. This city is also home to a large military base, and a short drive to the North Pole which houses a large airforce base. While the atmosphere near campus does adhere to a college town, the rest of the city is based on a professional standard. UAF is unique because of its geographical location. It allows students and faculty to study things in the field that cannot be studied in other parts of the country. The weather also offers it's own unique perspective; negative temperatures can be one of the largest complaints from new students. Thankfully, UAF is so beautiful and offers so many educational venues that most decide it is worth the cold for a chance to learn here. I will always remember the first time I walked out of my apartment on a brisk fall day to find three moose standing in my yard. It was thrilling and terrifying all at once. Just another adventure at UAF.
My overall opinion of this school is that it is has more growing to do but it is a great environment. UAF offers many opportunities but they are limited in certain programs. Students often take online courses while LIVING on campus because there are no teachers who can teach them. It isn't a fault of UAF, it's just a result of being an Alaskan University where the population doesn't par up to other lower-48 Universities/colleges. Students, faculty, and staff get along well and there is a very friendly/helpful environment among them. Another great bonus about UAF is the cost, it's affordable compared to many other Universities/colleges. I enjoy being at UAF. It is a great University.
Narrow down over 1,000,000 scholarships with personalized results.
Get matched to scholarships that are perfect for you!
Disclosure: EducationDynamics receive compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.
The sources for school statistics and data is the U.S. Department of Education's National Center for Education Statistics and the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System.
This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.