University of Alaska Southeast Top Questions

My first two years of college have taught me a lot about time-management, responsibility and expectations. However,I think one of the most important things I could have done was to be more proactive earlier in my college career. The new environment and experience is intimidating but getting out of your comfort zone will open up so many new opportunities. It is important to keep an open-mind and try as many new things as possible. College is a time for experiencing new things and learning about yourself. Secondly, I would tell myself not to have a set expectation of college. With what you see in the media and on TV, it is easy to have a misconception of college life will be like. Just because your college experience isn't exactly like what you saw on MTV, doesn't mean it still won't be enjoyable. Lastly, I would say to not be too hard on yourself. You are learning and making mistakes. It is okay to mess up. Cry over it once but most importantly, get up and move on. You are going to have the time of your life!

Never give up; no matter how easy it may seem. Persevere because life isnt easy and college is the first eye-opening experience to life. Stay focused and do not let anyone or anything keep you from achieving your goals. This has been your life long dream and let nothing stand in your way from achieving it. Find ways to meet new and supportive people. Get involved in campus activities and never let studying wear you down. Realize that this is a new beginning and the reward at the end is worth every step.

TiannaJae

Get your act together, because college life is real.

Kourtni

The advice that I would give myself in my senior year, is that not to worry about were other people are going to college. In my senior year I ws comparing myself to all my other friends leaving to go out of state for college. Looking at them I felt stupid becuase I was going to a school instate, it might be in a different town but it was still instate. Now since in college, I felt like I did make the right choice to stay home and go to school. Going out of state for college does not mean if I am smart or not. I'm paying less money that everyone else, but I am getting a since of what it is like to be a college student with the worry of being broke. If I could have seen how I am now in my senior year of college I wouldn't feel like I was nothing just becuase everyone was leaving and I am staying.

arwin

dont waste the time

I would tell myself to stop procrastonating! Also to get scholarships and finacial aid done on time. This first year of college almost didnt happen because I was dragging my feet, getting all of the forms filled out. Since I decided to work for a year after graduating high school, I would also advise my past self to save my money and not spend it every time we had a day off. But one thing that I really wish I could change is being more social. I would tell my high school senior self to stop hiding in her room and get out there and meet people. I know it seems scary but you have to realize that the people you're scared to talk to are in the same situation you are; lonely, away from home, first year at college and seeking human interaciton. It seems scary but making friends in college is one the easiest thing you will do.

Riley

Focus on the long-term goal and don't get distracted by the side shows that will come along. As long as you have a career and life goal in mind, then the road there will become apparent as the time gets closer. College life will only be what you make it, so get involved in as many extra-curriculars as possible. Join a club, play sports, find a job. Any organization outside of the classroom will further enhance your college experience. Some of the lessons learned in these groups will be more valuable later in life than information gained from lectures. Social interactions on all levels provide learning opportunities that may be cherished when interviewing for a job or dealing with a group project. Choosing a college shouldn't be a stressful activity. Any college can propel you onto the career trajectory you want. Simply choose the next stepping stone on the road of life and enjoy the ride.

Peter

As you begin in college remember never ever settle for substandard work. You are an intelligent individual who can achieve a great many things in your life. The only individual who will ever slow you down, or hinder your progress is yourself. At this moment in your life you have an incredibly strong sense of right and wrong. Never lose that or compromise your ethics, because once you do it will be infinitely more difficult to regain them. As you meet your professors you will not like all of them as individuals, but remember they are there to assist you in learning so listen to what they have to say to you. Should you ever find yourself in a disagreement with a professor know two things, they are human so do not assume that they can not be wrong, but you must always speak to them with respect because someone who knows the cirriculum better than you found them to be the best candidate.

Cassie

Attending UAS, I have learned amounts about Alaska's culture and different ways of life up here in Alaska. I have lived in Alaska my whole life but have never taken the time to sit down and realize the beauties our state has to offer. I recently took a woodcarving class and went into it not expecting what I came out with. I figured it would be like all the woodshop classes I took in high school. Unlike high school, the University’s class made Alaskan Native designed projects and brought us to the State Museum and showed us the history behind our projects. Each aspect of our project meant more than just carving a block of wood. Each class UAS offers has its own way of easing Alaska history into lessons and projects. By attending this school, I have learned to appreciate the unique history that my state has. I have met students from out of state that are now living in Alaska and it is neat to hear what they think and what they learned about attending and Alaskan University as well. Staying in state to attend college has taught be to never take home for granted.

My experience with universities has show me how much I need to be focused. I have seen that my degree is more than just my interests but rather encompassing multiple areas that I may not be passionate about. I enjoy the arts but have found that in order to be successful in the business world and my degree I need to be able to comunicate my ideas well. In order to do that I must focus on my essay comunication and professional writing as well. The value in attending is paramount. It gives me the freedom and power to succeed beyond my goals and dreams. It has given strength to my knowledge base and exercised my ability to pursue multible dreams and ambitions.

I chose having a family and starting a career before finishing my AA degree and moving on to my BS degree. I feel that the college experience has given me the right tools and resources to make my career choice a successful one. Through the knowledge and flexibility of professors and the option to attend via online, I have been able to overcome the challenges of being a full-time state employee, single mother of two and a full-time college student while still accomplishing honor status within the school. Attending a 2-year college before transferring to a 4-year college proved valuable in re-orienting myself into a school setting. Although the two universities are quite different in teaching, deadlines and grading scales, the 2-year college professors prepared me to be successful at the higher institution.

It definitely has taught me to manage my time better and the consequences of not doing so. I've become more self-motivated to do things and I'm realizing the benefit of studying hard as opposed to high school where good grades came easily. I've made a lot of new friends interested in similar things as me; I have joined clubs and organizations; I find the college environment much more fitting for me than high school was. I enjoy the atmosphere where people go to classes because they have chosen to further their education; they are not being forced to attend and therefore, I find that there's a lot less annoying knaves in my classes... for lack of a better term.

Caleb

My college experience finally provided the training I need to become good at what I wanted to do. Starting out from home in an institution designed for learning has made the transition into the working world much easier.

I have gotten a better understanding of school practices and a greater knowledge of how businesses work and run in today society. It has also been valuable to attend for I have been able to strengthen my math, writing and reading skills along with gaining a greater knowledge accounting practices which has helped me gain better jobs in the work force of today. I also feel it has been valuable to attend college to strengthen my work ethics and become a part of the local community of southeast Alaska. Having served my country before I feel gaining a greater knowledge only helps to serve me and my country by making me a better more equipped person for today?s challenges and makes me a greater asset to society, one who can contribute to the great good of everyone.

Deborah

Stay in school! Stay the course! Don't get knocked up/impregnate anyone else until you are absolutely sure that you are not college material because it takes a lifetime to finish once you have kids of your own. Try everything at least once, but don't be stupid about it. Do your homework. Get involved in clubs and volunteering. Study hard. Contribute in class. Help your fellow students to gain confidence. It will come back to you in spades. Most valuable advice: Transfering between institutions NEVER works out to your advantage, so make sure you find a school that you can live with before you assume the debt to go there!

It?s 1980 and I'm about to graduate. I have my whole life ahead of me. Choosing to attend college will be hard but truly worth it in the end. It requires hard work, strong desire to succeed, dedication and discipline even when faced with the adversity and challenges of college life. You are strong, you are smart, and you have the ability to meet this new life's journey. Set a goal and work towards it. In the end you will have developed skills that will benefit you, your family, and the community. Making the choice is the first step. Once you do make that decision everything will fall into place. You will find there are many individuals that will help you along the way. They will be there whether it is to help guide you in the right direction, help you with an assignment, and to even set you in the right direction financially. College is not only a challenge but it?s a gift that you will share the rest of your life in your new journey to make a difference.

Just breathe, it is a huge choice but you are ready for it. You are meant to go here and be here and it's going to turn out to be the best decision you've made for yourself. Make sure you focus and take lots of notes!

Learn more about how majors and degrees work. Look more into scholarships too. College can actually be really simple, but when you're in high school and you don't know anybody in college it can be mysterious and sometimes confusing.

McKenzie

Finding the right college isn't just one choice, it's a life-changing decision. For me, UAS fits because it's small and has all of the academic resources that I need. The class sizes are small and everyone has a smile on their face. That is what works for me, and that is the college experience that I have chosen for myself. For another student, the situation may be entirely different. The most important thing to keep in mind, however is that these are the best years of your life, and far too many people party those years away. For this reason, a nice, well-balanced university is generally the best choice. It is easy to get preoccupied with partying, and a nice party every once in a while rarely hurts a responsible student, but the choices you make in college truly do follow you for the rest of your life.

Academics are important, and because they should come first, a lot of components go into finding the right college. Look at extra-curricular activities, the climate region and the social aspect. Many invidiauls can either fail or succeed based on his or her surroundings while at college. Make sure that the university you are choosing will help you excel, not falter. If you want to play sports, make sure that you find a university that caters to that need. If you think you may be distracted in a place that is less than a mile from the beach and always 90 degrees, pick a different region. If you think you will become distracted in a large school with lots of on-going social options, choose a smaller school. Remember that the faculty is there to help you. If you feel that you need help in any aspect, do not hesitate to ask. Your academic supporters can solve issues faster and easier than you think. Most importantly: choose a university that can help you excel, but will also encourage new experiences and offer adventures in abundance! Remember to have fun! College is a time for spiritual growth and life-long memories.

Don't treat college as a continuation of high school. If you need to, take a year off to get rid of that mindset, and then go to college with fresh expectations. If it isn't allowed to teach you more than what you learn from tests and homework, you're learning no valuable life skills. Unless, that is, you're looking for a life full of busywork and deadlines. Being at a university and independent teaches you as much as your classes, I believe, by prepares you for a life of your own. Having small class sizes and professors that you can interact with is a priceless oportunity. Often, it is their personal connections and suggestions that will set you on a career path much quicker than a degree from a more prestigious university earned in total anonymity.

Look into size and setting, choose what is right for you. Also if you feel comfortable when you first go to the campus that is another good sign. If you feel uncomfortable on the campus for any reason that school is not the right fit. Always trust your gut and ask current students what they honestly think about the school. While at school take advanteages of everything, both social and academic opportunities. You can do well in school and still have a social life. Make sure you manage your time well, do your school work first before having fun to ensure you aren't doing anything last minute. Make friends with as many people as you can, espeically students outside of your class. The older students know a lot and can have really valuable advice about professors and classes. Always take advantage of study group opportunities as well, especially in your really hard classes. Have fun and make the most of your college experience.