Tucson, AZ
University of Arizona

Named Arizona’s Best College by Forbes, the University of Arizona is a public university where teaching, research, service, and innovation merge to improve lives in Arizona and beyond. The UA serves as the state’s super land-grant university with two medical schools, producing graduates who are real-world ready to take on today’s most pressing challenges.

View the Full Summary

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Arizona

Fixed  rate loan

Cass

Arizona is a great school because it is large enough to feel like a small community and large enough to have a lot of school pride. The campus is beautiful, and it really defines Tucson because so much of the city has involvement with the University. The best thing about Arizona is the large greek community. It really helps a significant amount of people to be involved in school activities and connect with fellow students.

I feel the Arizona campus is extremely diverse and there are numerous amounts of ethnicities, races, and religions on campus. Students should never feel out of place because there are so many different clubs and social activities for students of any kind to participate in. Most students that go to U of A are from Arizona or California.

There's always some truth to every rumor, so I'd say that we are more prestigious than ASU and we have plenty of beautiful women. But as for parties, we know how to party, but also how to keep up with school.

I really like the classes here at the U of A. I enjoy my lecture halls because I can always find someone to study with, and because most lectures meet for a discussion with a smaller group, I can still get personal attention from a teacher. For the most part my professors know my name, and I always feel comfortable asking them for help. I find that students have intellectual conversations outside of class because so many national and local issues affect college students. My favorite class is Spanish 325 because it helps me to improve my proficiency in the spanish language, and I absolutely love my teacher. I feel the education at Arizona is geared more toward getting a career in the future.

I feel the most popular organizations on campus are Greek organizations. Personally I am involved in a sorority and in a leadership program called Blue Chip. I will not be participating in Blue Chip after this semester because even though I had a good experience my first year, I love being involved in my sorority and with a tough academic schedule, I don't have time for both. In the dorms we do leave our doors open and I am friends with about half of the people on my floor. I spend most of my time being involved in my sorority and doing school work. I think fraternities and sororities are so important because they give you a good social foundation and encourage everyone to keep their grades up and be involved.

Huge party school, more prestigious than ASU, beautiful women.

Tate

I feel like the size of the school here is perfect, even though it is very large you still feel like you live in a small community. I am a long way from home and came out here alone and have not had a problem adjusting and have been very happy experiencing something new.

I feel that the student body is a majority caucasion, there is not a lot of minorities.

Reguarding being from California and Arizona are true, but not it being a huge party school.

Most of the classes are large and there is not a direct relationship with professors in the larger classes but there are opportunities to through office hours and such.

Greek live is very small most everyone knows each other and it is very popular.

That it is a huge party school and that most are from California and Arizona.

I do not mind the size if anything I would not like it if it was bigger, I hardly know a lot of people as it is. When people hear I go to U of A, they are almost impressed that I attend a university.

I think there is a club for anyone here i am just not personally in one, unless you consider a sorority one.

If I want or need to prof to know my name, they will. I particularly like classes that have multiple assignments or quizes and test because its easier to keep up your grade. I have a class that cares about attendance and only has 3 huge tests and two papers...YUCK! When it comes to my major, the prereqs for it so far are nothing crazy.

It seems the most social group on campus is greek life. there are philanthropies events, and so much more to do. In the dorm, personally i would never leave my door open but there are definitely people that do. people party on thurs, fri or sat, but there are definitely people that party all week long...terrible!

Charlie

Tucson is not what I would call an "ideal college town." Personally, the immediate area surrounding the University is not my cup of tea. The foothills on the other hand, is a more safe, gorgeous and lively depiction of Tucson that I would love to be closer to.

Like I previously stated, I believe that the University of Arizona has a lot of California kids and local Arizona kids.

In some cases, possibly, but not completely. No stereotype is 100% accurate.

My favorite class at the UofA would have to be my Astronomy class with Prather. He was a great teacher and really kept the class interested on the topics.

Greek life is a big part of the UofA's campus life. As a member of KAO, the greek community as a whole is very involved with one another, with the Tucson community, and other organizations on campus.

Arizona may be typically referred to as the "University of California in Arizona." The students, therefore, are mostly from California; beach blondes.

Chris

The best thing about being an Arizona student is definitely the weather. Even though it is such a small thing, it makes a big difference in how people act and I believe that being 85 degrees in February really helps to keep spirits up. Tucson is a college town and every where you look, from apartment complexes to the restaurants, every thing is geared to the students. Since I am a freshman, I have not experienced everything that there is to offer at school, but I did enjoy the football games (especially when we beat Oregon) and the basketball games also. I am looking forward to the Kanye concert later this month.

Arizona has a very diverse student body. I think there are alot of different people here for many reason and from all over. As usual though, there is a higher population of white people as oppposed to minorities, but I think that the university does a good job of incorporating several ethnicities and people who think in different ways.

I do not think that any of those stereotypes are accurate and there are many people who work hard to do well and be successful in school.

Student studying is higher than I have ever seen it. I see people all the time working at the ILC and I believe that most of us put in almost the same amount of time that we are in the classroom to studying. I think that education is geared the same way as high school was for me, it was more about learning for the sake of learning. I do feel that the requirements are the same for most other colleges.

I think that alot of te social life ahs to do with partying. Most people usually know about the huge parties that are thrown by either fraternities or just house parties that get realy wild. But if you choose to do something a little less wild, there are opportunities to watch sporting events or play at the rec or view a movie.

That students at Arizona party hard and can skate by easily through thier classwork.

Chris

The best thing about Arizona is the weather. While all of my friends are walking to class dressed like eskimos, I'm walking to class in shorts and a tshirt. Winter is pretty much non existent here and there is sunshine practically everyday. The one thing I would change about Arizona is the food. The food offered on the meal plans isn't all that healthy. Don't get me wrong, there are healthy options, but the main food court is dominated by Burger King, Papa John's and Panda King. I would like to see more healthy alternatives. When I tell people I go to Arizona, they assume I'm an idiot who is just going to school to spend his parents money and party all the time. As far as the college town goes, Tucson is pretty boring. I stay on campus for most part.

Most students look like they're from Orange County, California. Guys wear shorts, tshirts, and sandals to class while girls wear short skirts, low tops and sunglasses. They're are a lot of kids from California and Chicago,IL. Kids are obsessed with money.

These stereotypes are not accurate at all. I happen to know numerous student who take their academics seriously. One of my friends works harder and has more desire to learn than anyone I know, and I have plenty of friends at Ivy League school. He works harder and is more passionate about learning than any of them.

Classes are huge and its pretty easy to blend in. My least favorite class would have to be Math 115A. It is a business class that is set up by the university for the university and it is horrible. The class structure is awful and the class is relativly new so the instructors have no idea what they are doing. It is by far the worst class I've ever experienced.

For guys, sorry, but if you're not twenty one or in a fraternity, a social life does not exist for you. I am in a frat and my roomate is not and he stays in or goes home every weekend while I go out. The dorms are pretty boring from my experience. Nothing goes on and they are really quiet. I am there only to sleep, watch tv, or get some quiet time.

Some stereotypes of Arizona student would be that they are dumb and more interested and partying than learning and going to class.

Sam

The best thing about Arizona is the weather. The one thing I would change is the outside area. I would like it to be more upscale. The school is just right. People say real party school but it is all what you make of it. I spend most of my time in the dorms. College town, yes. Administration is very considerate. The biggest controversy is someone overdosed and died a week ago. There is alot of school pride. Everyone goes to the games to root on our school, i.e. football and basketball.

It's a beautiful school. What is better than going to class in shorts and a tank top and even laying out between classes.

Professors know your name. My favorite class is lecture. Students study alot. Everyone participates. Students are competitive but so friendly that you make new friends that you can socialize with. Arizona is perfect academic wise. You can get a job from attending university of arizona.

Basketball. Our basketball team is very good and our school is very school spirited.

Torry

U of A has one of the most beautiful college campuses I've ever seen. The Poetry Center, where I spend most of my time, is a completely unique offering. The school is quite large, but never feels that way even hanging around "the mall". People are surprised I go to Arizona because of the stereotypes associated with it (see above), but with a large school there is something for everyone. U of A is a huge part of Tucson, but it doesn't feel like much of a college town, although the bar scene is great. There seems to be a great deal of school pride, everyone wears Wildcats gear and you can hear the marching band practicing at nearly any time of day.

Again, since it's such a large and diverse student body, no one can really feel out of place. Unless maybe you are very unattractive. Even handicapped people are well accommodated, almost every building has wheelchair access. Students generally dress very casually, often in Wildcats gear. Different types of students interact in their non-major classes but, since Greek life is big, there is a clique-ish mentality here. Most Arizona students are from Arizona and California, or NYC kids looking for better weather. I'd say middle/upper middle class is the standard here. Students are not that politically aware or active from what I've seen. I'd call the school very much in the center politically, since it's a Republican controlled environment in a Democratic city with kids from both backgrounds. I'd call it kind of purple.

These questions are hard to answer since I'm a graduate student, but for most classes you'll take as an undergrad, especially the into/lecture classes, the professor will not know your name. In the discussion I teach I know everyone's name, and class participation is very common. Professors even in the graduate department don't socialize with students much, but in terms of Creative Writing we have a slightly older faculty. Creative Writing workshops are the best classes to take here! It's actually a highly ranked undergraduate program here, surprisingly enough. I think an Arizona education, as with any other university education, is what you make of it. Since it's a big school it's easy to slip between the cracks so ambition and motivation are necessary.

Going to football and basketball games is the big thing here. The dating scene seems alright, but I'm pretty removed from all that. Like I said, it's a very attractive campus so girls I would rate a 6 or 7 seem like 4s and 5s due to their surroundings. People party a lot though claim not to. Obviously Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays are the big days like anywhere else. Fraternites and Sororities are important. Last weekend I spent all Friday night drinking at a bar for blue collar types and bikers, to be ironic natch. On Saturday I went to Hooters to watch UFC with a cage-fighting friend of mine, also to drink and eat chicken. There is a good art house movie theatre for non-drinkers, lots of local theatre, poetry readings, bigger multiplexes, mini-golf open year round, bowling allys, salsa dancing. Lots of shit to do.

The frat/sorority mentality predominates. All we care about are our sports teams (football and basketball specifically). Academics are secondary. The student body is generally very attractive (though not as attractive as ASU, which according to polls conducted by Playboy I believe, is known as the Hottest Student Body). Everyone is very tan.

It's a beautiful campus. The people are all from California and are not nice. This is one thing I would change if I could. The school is very large - too large. If you tell people you go to U of A, they will assume it's a party school and will assume you're dumb. However, classes are very hard. Tucson is gross and small. Tucson people are weird. Because people are from California, they don't have much pride for sports, so if you are from the south and enjoy sports, you will not enjoy the sports scene. People couldn't care less about the teams.

Most people at Arizona have a lot of money. Most people are not racist or religious. Most students dress up for class. All the boys will wear designer jeans, a typical California hat and California shades. Girls will dress in very little and will pile on the makeup. If you wear sweat pants or a t-shirt, you will stand out in a very bad way. Most people don't care about politics, but if they do, they are very liberal.

Professors do not know your name. Classes are very big, especially freshmen classes, and teachers don't even take roll. Most teachers, in fact, don't care about who fails and who passes, so they are very difficult to get a hold of, let alone get help from. Arizona students never have intellectual conversations outside of class. The U of A is easy to get into but is hard once you get in, so it's hard to get a good GPA.

Greek like if very important. If you want to have a social life at all, you are in a sorority or fraternity. Most people don't care much about athletic events, theater, or dating. Finding people to hang out with on a Saturday night that don't want to drink is very rare.

everyone is from California, southern people will not like the University of Arizona, all the girls are slutty Californians, all the boys are from California and are very girly

University of Arizona administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.