University of Arizona

« See more reviews of University of Arizona

Comparatively, the U of A, even moreso than most universities, presents a diversity of population fostering compassion, acceptance, and tolerance. In the wake of atrocities such as Representative Gifford's attempted assassination, it remains now more than ever a potent lesson to remember to work towards compromise always, for violence of any degree results in nothing but heartbreak and pain, inducing more malice. And, this spreads like a wild fire. But at the university, instead, the entire student body aims to understand. With a population exceeding 30,000, all facets of the public are represented, and hence respected, as individuals.

First off, Arizona State University offered me more scholarships, yet I chose this school because of two reasons. 1) University of Arizona had a far better and prestigous reputation in terms of their pharmacy, science, space and research programs. 2) Given this schools reputation I thought I'd learn better in this kind of environment. Turns out, a decent chunk of professors in the science department and math department are horrible "teachers". They absolutely cant teach. They inform, but they dont engage students or let them think things through conceptually, analytically, etc. I regret my decision of choosing this school.

The University of Arizona has uncomparable school spirit. The student fan section at football games, basketball games, etc. is always jam-packed like sardines in a can. I considered going to Northern Arizona University which is a mile calmer than the University of Arizona. Those two universities are complete opposites. Northern Arizona University is surrounded by pine trees and is cold on the contrary, the University of Arizona is surrounded by downtown life with the melting the students on campus. The downtown life has attreacted many outgoing students which has helped the university gain great school spirit.

The University of Arizona, at first glance, may not appear to offer much. However, this large public school situated in the desert has managed to attract several thousand students from all across the United States and beyond; upon closer inspection, its many accolades can be gleaned. As a first semester Freshman, I have yet to experience everything the university offers, but what I do know astonishes me. Housing several hundred plant species non-native to this region, establishing new frontiers with unique labs, such as the Meditation and Brain lab, and over 400 clubs make this my proud home.

The university campus has a wide range of majors and classes. In addition, there is considerable diversity, opening all sorts of experiences for everyone that goes there. Despite the hundreds of students most professors have, they are willing to take the time to know the individual students. Personally, I spoke to a specific professor only a handful of times throughout the semester, and she remembered me and the circumstances that had been discussed previously without reminder. The instructors and students enjoy their positions and take advantage of what the university has to offer.

There are numerous cultural opportunities on campus in the College of Fine Arts. The School of Theatre Arts puts on 10 productions year in its 2 performance spaces, while the School of Music has numerous concerts, recitals, symphonies and operas every year in their 2 performance spaces. The School of Dance puts on a number of dance shows, plus the theatre plays host to other local dance companies that rent the space. The School of Art also has its galleries and various shows throughout the year. The University art scene is tremendous and fits nicely with the Tucson art community.

My decision was narrowed to Universities in Arizona, because my tuition waiver was only possible In-state. The weather in Tucson is absolutely goreous, and Tucson is centered around the University of Arizona. Without a Major League Baseball or NFL team, its citizens are overly enthused with collegiate sports. Arizona State University is overrated in my books, with too much underage partying and the whole city of Phoenix surrounding their college life. I wanted to ecsape and live in a college haven, which I have found here in at the beautiful campus of the University of Arizona.

The University of Arizona left an imprint on me from the first time I visited it for a school field trip when I was 12. The centrally located campus is more than great to look at while inhibiting so many convenient amenities within short walking distance of each other. As I grow in my education this school just seems to further complement my decision by showing me so many wonderful qualified teachers, educationally challenging programs, an interactive and spirited campus of athletics as well as the diversity of the many extra-curricular activities offered to anyone interested.

There is a wide variety of students at my university. Many students, including myself, come from out of state and are always welcomed in by the student body. Students come from all over the country and come together to make a diverse student body. Also, there are many opurtunities for involvement throughout campus. The advising department is very adamant about getting students involved in hands-on experience and research in their field of study in order to insure that they choose the right career field. As a psychology major, I have many oppurtunites for research in my field.

The location of this school is it's most unique characteristic. Tucson hosts over 300 sunny days a year and is located in the Sonoran Desert which contains a unique variety of wildlife, plants, and terrain. The culture here is also one of a kind. Tucson is predominantly of mexican architecture, and the main religion in the city and on campus is Catholic. Biking and longboarding is a major activity on campus compared to many other schools I considered. The athletic program is consistently ranked and competitive and host one of the largest student sections in the country.