University of Arizona

« See more reviews of University of Arizona

I feel that with three majors and a minor I could give some insights about the academics at the University of Arizona as I have been a student in multiple departments. When it comes to professors, majority of them are top notch reputation wise, excellent teachers and very approachable. They will know your name as long as you let them know you're there if you are in a lecture hall class. As you progress in your major and class sizes get smaller you might be caught off guard when a professor knows your names as you might have never spoken with him/her. They really do make an effort to know you as the class sizes get smaller and as for the bigger classes, that is what office hours are for leaving it up to you to utilize them. I have to say that my favorite class, as well as most difficult, was Organic Chemistry. It might sound crazy as there are not many students who like it but I was fascinated by it due to the amazing teacher who taught it. He was simply brilliant and a wonderful lecturer. It was a really captivating class. This leads us to talk about to study habits. The amount of studying you do is totally dependent on your class load and personal study habits. The truth is however, a lot of students at the U of A cram the night or two before their test. This type of studying is highly inefficient and defeats the whole purpose of learning but it does get the job done sometimes. The most successful students are the ones that study for their classes ahead of time and there is a good mix of both at this university. Participation and active listening in class definitely lessen the amount of outside studying that students need to do. However, not a lot of students like to participate and that is just common not only in Arizona. There are always students which like participation and others that dread it however some professors are aware of that and require participation as part of their course. This requirement opens up students to further participation in other classes. The requirements to get into the University could be more competitive but it is a public university and accepts a wide array of students. Many know that it is not difficult to gain admission to the university of arizona but what matters most is how you perform instead of what school you go to and I find many classes very, very challenging despite of being a great student at a private high school. The university does have many resources however that are geared to help you with your studies such as Think Tank which provides free tutoring, DRC which is a disability resource center and helps students gain notes as well as other resources to succeed in their courses, and just to mention one more example, U of A has SALT which is the number one strategic alternative learning center in the nation.

The U of A can be a very academically challenging school. What one is passionate about is the field of study they should choose as a major. Forget the stereotypes of, "Psychology isn't a real science," or "Communications is a fake major." Every major has its tough classes and there is no major that should ever be patronized. In my field of study, physiology, the classes are heavily science based, so my workload has always been more dense than my roommate's, who was an English major. But her classes required more work into a single assignment, whereas my assignments were frequent and weekly. The competitive nature of each major is also different. Physiology, pharmacy, music, biochemistry, and physics are some examples of very competitive majors where the students work for themselves and strive to get ahead of everyone. English, sociology, and psychology are some examples of less competitive majors. Some of my professors know my name. They only do because I may have visited them for office hours. That's all though, on account of my smallest class last semester still had over 200 people in it. In order to get to know a professor, one really has to be the one to reach out and start that student-professor relationship.

I am in Eller College of Management here at UA and its by far one of the top 2 or 3 schools here on campus. I am double majoring in MIS and OM and i know basically all my professors and they know me when it comes to my core MIS classes. The MIS department at UA has been in the top 10 rankings since it was invented, and has been the best public MIS school in the nation for the 2nd year in a row. Studying in Eller is big during the week -- but we always have that 3 day weekend, so its a work hard play hard mentality. Students in Eller are VERY competitive and are some of the best in the nation, lots of the "do the minimal to slide by" do not make it into eller because of the harder requirement classes you have to take to get accepted. The faculty and the advisers are awesome because once your accepted into Eller they take care of you and get you into the classes you need,

The academics at Arizona are good. It is good to know your professors name because in many of the first year classes that is a typical question on a quiz or test. My favorite class is an Upper division classics class. Dr. Soren not only teaches the information but incorporates humor into the lecture. Class participation is more common in gen ed classes but it is never discouraged. My major is physiology. It is a rigorous major, but it keeps me on my toes. If your not willing to dedicate time to studying, don't take this major. The academic requirements definitely vary throughout the majors as well as if it is geared towards getting a job or for learning. In the business college I feel like they are more geared towards getting a job but in physiology, since you basically have to go to grad school or med school to make the degree worthwhile its more geared towards learning.

I could write and explain all of the little nuances that occurred throughout each of my days at the University (being the only girl not in a sorority and trying to learn French for the knowledge and not just credit can be lonely!), but in reality I feel very fortunate to have graduated from the University of Arizona. The Anthropology and English Departments were my second home - many days they were the only places I wanted to be. Looking back I feel that if you stay true to you, choosing a major you truly love, then the opportunities to meet people and grow exponentially are endless. The Anthropology has employed, and still employs, some amazing professors with a passion for not just their subjects, but for life! But, this is simply MY humble experience at the UA... what will YOURS be?

For the most part Arizona has average academics. Getting my minor in buisness i was able to see how competetive that school is. It is very difficult to get into a specific major and everyone is trying to get the best grade possible. Everyone i know studies every day. In my sorority we pride ourselves in having the highest GPA on campus and we all do our part to keep that. Im also apart of the honors program and taking honors classes i can see an obvious difference becuase teachers are alot more personal and really care about each student suceeding in their course. For the most part, all of the General Education classes are not too difficult and I have walked away with basic backround information.

The academics at the U of A depend a great amount on what your major is and what type of classes you are taking. Considering the U of A is a very highly-regarded University, some classes are obviously difficult. Some classes are small with 30-40 students, while others are quite large with thousands of students. This may lead one to think that the professors do not pay much attention to the needs of individual students. However, they hold office hours where students may come in and talk to their professors about any issues they may be having with the class as well as with its material.

Most of my professors know my name and know me relatively well. My favorite class is architecture because i get to go to that class and work on projects and its pretty relaxed. My least favorite class is physics because i don't like my teachers very much and the material is very confusing. Class participation here is decent-students don't usually go to lectures but for regular classes students usually go. My major is architecture and i love all my classes that are involved with it and i like my teachers. The academic requirements aren't too bad but classes still aren't too easy.

The University of Arizona prides itself on academics. With 98% of our proffesors in possesion of a PHD, the UA is extremely dedicated to providing a quality education to its stuedents. The UA is among some the top schools in the nation such as Berkley, Virginia and Stanford. The variety of available classes is incredible and gives every student the opportunity to broaden his or her education. Most professors are happy to help you succeed in the best way possible. The students at the UA are competetive which creates a higher academic standard at the university.

I feel like even in my lecure classes, most of my teachers do their best to learn their students names. My favorite class this semester is The Physical Universe with Professor Prather because even though it is challenging, his teaching really helps to make the information interesting and fun to learn about. My least favorite class is Middle Eastern Humanities with Professor Dykgraaf because her lectures are uninteresting and boring.