University of Arizona

« See more reviews of University of Arizona

In my experience, the majority of classwork at University of Arizona is collaborative. Therefore, I suggest that the UA is not the right place for a student who is uncomfortable with group work, group projects or group discussions. Beyond the classroom, there is much effort on campus to encourage students to work and band in meaningful partnerships. Community projects, clubs, and partnered research and field work are common extracurricular activities that students are urged to participate in. In order to take full advantage of UA's universal collaborative theory, students should be both willing and enthusiastic to work with others.

The University of Arizona is a great school to attend, but the only drawback is the campus is mainly a science based research campus. Students who should not attend this school are students who do not intend on majoring in a science based field. I am a Journalism major and sometimes feel pressured by advisors who emphasize studying a science related field in addition to my current major. Students are greatly encouraged to study majors in the field of science or related fields because of the financial stability, therefore other majors are assumed to not gain as much success financially.

I believe that any driven individual could attend the University of Arizona and be successful. A significant discriminator may be the size of the school, as the University of Arizona has about 40,000 students. A university of this size may be a considered a medium size university but it may cause some anxiety for anyone who tends to thrive in a smaller school environment. The size influences class size, student faculity ratio, campus size and the concentration of people you are familiar with. While a large student population is not bad thing some may benefit at a smaller school.

Students who are going to University strictly for party purposes should look elsewhere. While we do have a fun and interesting atmosphere at Arizona, most of the student body seems to understand why they are here and what they want. Fun here isn't narrowly defined to including alchohol, drugs or sex as exclusive ingredients. On the other hand, this IS still university and it is a time for growth and exploration for young people who are more responsible for themselves than they were previously; but I would say the culture here is mostly responsible and clean. Come and see!

Being from a small town in Iowa, I understand if a person would choose not to attend the University of Arizona. Its size and range of classes and majors may be intimidating. Although this may be the ideal learning environment for some people, others may feel that a structured environment, with fewer options, would be more comfortable. Those who prefer a narrow or pre-selected path would not appreciate the breadth of options available to them at a large university. To those who feel this way, I recommend applying to a smaller college, like a liberal arts or vocational school.

If the thought of a small college town centered around a very large university with extremely strong school spirit incites any emotions other than excitement and curiosity, then this probably is not the best college to attend for an individual. Tucson is one of the oldest small towns in the west and proves that with the old architecture, roads and historical sites. If a person could not see themself happy in this kind of environment, is best to look elswhere. In addition to the small town, the University is also 39,000 students strong and classes are typically 100+ large.

People that are antisocial and do not wish to enjoy their college experience while obtaining their desired degree should not attend the University of Arizona. The Zona Zoo is the number one student cheering section in the nation, anyone who wants to remain antisocial will not be able to stay inside their shell with the excitement buzzing during sporting events even if they do not attend the games. Those who wish to slack off while pursuing their degrees will not want to attend because of the vast number of assistance available to students struggling in their classes.

Someone who finds it very difficult to adjust to a big campus and large class sizes should probably reconsider. Although there are many smaller sized classes, some classes that are requirements for graduation tend to be quite large. It might also not be the best university for a student who is not very self-motivated. Although freshman do have a lot of support for smooth transitions and help learning about the resources UA offers, college in general is a place for self-motivation. Lastly, UA in many ways feels like its own city; can be bad for the easily homesick.

While it’s cliché for colleges to claim that they have a “diverse student population,” the U of A really does, and it can be overwhelming if you’re uncomfortable with diversity. Not only are students here from all kinds of backgrounds, diversity seems to be a prevalent theme here in terms of coursework. On several occasions this semester, 3 of my 5 classes seemed as though they were all working together to stay on track teaching the same ideas about diversity. Oh, and you’re actually required to take one class with a “diversity emphasis” before you graduate.

The kind of person the University of Arizona draws into it are hugely diverse. I have met all kinds of students from backgrounds in whole foods nutirtion, to aerospace sciences, to living the life of a sororoit queen, all of them seeming to be content with what the university has to offer. However, if you are the kind of student who must be self sufficient and pay your own way without so many loans, I would recommend students in their later years of college education to attend, once they have completed their lower level classes. That is where it counts.