University of Arizona

« See more reviews of University of Arizona

I believe obtaining a well-rounded college education is my first step towards becoming a valuable candidate for future employers. The University of Arizona has helped me grow both academically and professionally. Struggling through classes, the university offers many opportunities for me to attend free tutoring and publicizes private tutors found throughout campus. The counseling department offers study tips, new opportunities, and other assistance during stressful times. World renowned instructors have allowed me to be creative, intelligent, and future-based throughout my coursework. These instructions have taught me to discover for myself the most effective way for me to study and learn. In addition to staff, this university also allows students to join countless clubs throughout campus. As I integrated in the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, I have reached out to my community and the university campus by attending their many events offered. This organization has helped me grow professionally as I participate in conferences and career fairs. The speakers brought at the weekly meetings motivate me to learn and be creative within my classes. They push me to believe I can reach my academic goals while still enjoying college and taking advantage of daily opportunities presented to me.

College is an incredible and defining experience that sets the foundation for the years that follow. As a student, the most important thing to remember is to never take anything for granted. The experience is ephemeral, but its impact is permanent, and it is up to students to forge their paths and build their futures. The key to a fulfilling experience is to get involved. Most universities have clubs and organizations to match every interest, and if a specific club does not exist, students are able to create their own. Students should also take the opportunity to get to know their professors. The knowledge and experience professors offer extends beyond anything that textbooks alone could ever convey. For most students, college is the unique opportunity to be submerged in the culture and environment of their peers, where students can develop networks that enrich future careers, and friendships that last throughout their lives. As parents, it is essential to continue to foster a passion for education and higher achievement. Complacency is easy to get accustomed to; however, with support and encouragement students can realize immeasurable success. Through passion and confidence, the college experience can leave an impression that lasts a lifetime.

Notable college experiences would be understanding one's relationship between the college and themsleves. The relationship between the student and the college is important because the student has to stay connected and aware and when there's an established relationship, one's college experience can be soaring. My college experiences has revolved around primarily striving to perform good in school and maintaining my relationship with the college. I established my relationship with the college by simply checking my e-mail. Through this, I gained immense amounts of information about community events, volunteer opportunities, available advisor sessions, and e-mails from my professors about class-related information. This has kept me in the know about what is going on around the college and community and also notified me of any important updates I needed. It has been valuable to attend my college because I believe I gained the full college experience of being far away from home, meeting completely need friends and acquaintances, and having the sense of being independent. These achievements has benefited my progress of moving into the real world and building my self-confidence in achieving my life goals one step at a time through different college experiences.

If going to college is your plan, take honors or AP classes, maintain a high GPA and participate in a college readiness program. Universities offer summer bridge programs to help make a smooth transition from high school to college and understand the expectations of being a college student. College isn’t easy, and you must be willing and prepared to work hard at all costs. These steps, along with a dedication, motivation and “can do” attitude, will help you be successful at the university level. Participate in various extracurricular, work, community service and leadership activities. These experiences allow you to 1) learn about the values of commitment, responsibility and teamwork, 2) develop leadership qualities, and 3) gain a strong work ethic and communication skills. These are all qualities that will assist you in any situation – college, career, and life. You must also figure out how to pay for college. Complete the FAFSA annually because you may qualify for government and university financial aid. Secondly, apply for as many scholarships as you can, as early as sophomore year. Scholarships mean fewer student loans. Lastly, your family’s support in your endeavors will help you achieve your academic, career and personal goals.

When I first applied to the University of Arizona, I foresaw my relationship with the University as a quick, four-year program to be checked off The List- a stepping-stone, swiftly crossed in order to reach bigger and better things. My first year of college, I classified myself as a ‘motivated student’, justified by a high GPA, but in actuality, I was ambivalent and uninvolved. The decision I made one year later to study in South Africa completely changed my life. Rubbing shoulders with other international students from Germany, Holland, and many other countries, introduced a global perspective, breaking down mental borders I had created for myself and allowing me to think outside the box. Surrounded by highly motivated, post-graduate students raised the bar of personal expectations for education. An unknown passion for sustainable developmental economics in Africa was unveiled, tied with volunteer work in some of South Africa’s townships. By studying in a developing country plagued with poverty and inequality, I have recognized my generations’ progressively more important role in the sustainable economic growth of the “Bottom Billion”, and how globalization, the converging of people’s knowledge and skills across borders, will end world poverty.

The transition between high school and college life is overwhelming, exciting, and rewarding. I would advise myself to exceed in high school courses because the university of my dreams could grant me scholarships, an invitation to the honors college, or reduce the tuition for my education. I would dedicate time for school, and studying, to invest in my future. The university expects students to have the scholastic potential, to be self-disciplined and devoted to learn. A large majority of learning will happen in studying for classes outside of the classroom, to remember the information. I should appreciate the aid available such as academic support services, tutors, and career advisors. I would also be more independent by pursuing help on my own. Ambition would have to come within myself instead by my parents and teachers. With all the freedom comes a lot of responsibility which includes self-motivation. There are more distractions in college than in high school. I would use time more effectively; time management is very important. Decisions include having enough time for studying, completing class work, eating nutritious meals, and getting a good amount of sleep. Leaving high school and starting college is the biggest adjustment.

There are a number of important things to consider when you're looking for the right college for you. The following are the most critical areas to look at when considering a college that is right for you: cost, enrollment, class size, location, quality of education, strength of degree program you hope to pursue, sports, and clubs/extracurricular activities. It may also be helpful to contact the advisor for the specific degree program you hope to pursue at each college. Also, if possible, go to each of the colleges you are considering and take a tour of each campus. Try to schedule a tour when school is in session, so that you can talk to the students around the campus and ask them questions you might have. Students are the most honest, reliable source when it comes to learning about a particular college. Your education should be of primary importance while in college, although extracurricular activities are also very important. Most colleges have a variety of clubs in the following areas: departmental, honorary, governing body, international, leadership, service, religious, political, professional, sports, and special interest. Doing these things will allow you to make the most of your college experience.

While attending the University of Arizona, I have encountered many life changing experiences, that have made an impact on my life thus far. As a freshman, I learned to be accepting of others while living in a dormitory, communicate better, and listen intently. Through friendships gained, has been an important aspect to feel connected during my college experience and life changing. I immediately learned new strategies of time management an important factor to gain a better education and be successful. Meeting diverse individuals and learning of their life experiences; made me realize that the University truly has more to offer as an undergraduate student, that I need to take advatage or for personal gain. My college experience thus far, has opened new doors of education and exposed me to life enhancing opportunities and encourages me to reach my goals. I am more confident in accepting challenges and endure the obstacles to benefit my life. My outlook on education is brighter and achievable. I have received positive feedback and support of the student community ,by being involved on campus, has opened my eyes to profound, life-changing experiences that I will continue to develop and grow from.

If I had the opportunity to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would begin declaring college as a place of independence. In my first semester, I have learned that students in college have much more responsibility. They are responsible for creating their schedule, buying their books, and attending classes regularly. It is crucial for college students to make clever decisions that will affect their academic career. Therefore, I would advise my senior self to continually practice independence and responsibility in my everyday life. I would also advise myself to practice good communication skills with my peers; and also my teachers. I have learned that it is extremely important to have a good relationship with students and teachers, because those are the most helpful people. In high school, it is customary for a teacher to approach a student if they are performing badly in a class. In college, however, it is up to the student to approach someone if they are struggling. Learning to communicate with peers and professors, without being intimidated, can substantially affect a student's final grade. As a senior in high school, I wish that I had communicated better with the people around me.

My experience at the University of Arizona has provided me with the privilege of forming long-distance friendships with people from different parts of the world, leading me to realize the importance of other cultures and the importance that each culture contributes to a better and successful world. The state-of- the art research currently occuring at the University of Arizona regarding cures for cancer, and transgenic mosquitoes have provided me with insight into the high quality staff at the college who both run the research and teach students. Additionally, the Honors College in accordance with taking a total of 19 credits my first semester, which I successfully completed with the help of well-trained tutors and advisors that accomodate each students' individual needs has left me with the knowlege and satisfaction needed to get the most out of my college academic experience. Additionally joining clubs and the professional trainers at the recreational facilities have allowed me to see the necessity of achieving a balance in my life. This experience at the University of Arizona has left me with the experience i need to be successful and life and the skills to change the world for the better.