University of Arizona

« See more reviews of University of Arizona

The professors associated with this campus could possibly dedicate more interaction with their students. This is usually a problem in general education courses upon coming to the university. Classes are large and therefore, it is difficult for one professor to engage with their students. To improve this problem, graduate students teach some of the classes. This should not be permitted because many students become confused over the course material. The education is not equal if one student gets a better qualified graduate student then another. Graduate students should be able to “help” but not “control” the classroom methods and procedures.

The University of Arizona is a large college composed of over 30,000 students. Due to this, the size of lectures and classes is quite high, especially during students' initial years in general education courses. The size of these courses is somewhat frustrating, but the increasing size of upper division courses is truly frustrating. During registration, many professors will allow an excessive number of students into their courses at the cost of individualized attention and, sometimes, outside fo the seating allocation per room. Because of state and nation-wide education cuts, the rising tuition costs does not counteract this problem.

I believe that the most frustrating thing about my school is learning to understand what is expected of me as a student in a large class size, and trying to develop a relationship with my professor. Every professor is different with their class requirements, but not understanding their requests and/or how they perceive my work and writing style for grading purposes, is frustrating. I thought that it would be more opened communication between the student and professor, than referring to online results. Trying to figure the writing style and acceptance for a better grade has been frustrating.

I believe the most frustrating part of my school may be the same for every school- adjusting. I found that, especially during my freshman year, my peers and I struggled to find the best balance for each of our learning preferences and lifestyles. I think that once each student discovers the learning styles that word best for him or her individually and the priorities of the different components of their lives, such as academics, social life, family time, exercise, and clubs and activities, the student will only then be able to a manageable, fulfilling college experience.

After the first six months of school here at the University of Arizona, I realized the most frustrating aspect of college was changing my high school habits. The professors expect a much higher level of involvement and effort from the students that was not expected during high school. I noticed this change especially in the English Department. Now when I write essays I have to have at least four drafts and each draft may be changed compelelty from the prior. Although this was frustrating at first, I believe that this change was necessary for my success in the future.

The most frustrating thing about the University of Arizona is definitley the parking. The fact that I live off campus and have to drive, makes parking even more difficult. Parking spaces are limited and the garages usually fill up quickly. They are also very expensive! Driving anywhere near campus is stressful due to the amount of people walking and biking to school. If I can find a parking space quickly that is not located in a garage, I consider it my lucky day! The University is however building a street train, which will conveniently run through the entire campus.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the cost of attendance and how expensive everything is on campus. For people who are first generation to attend a university and from minorities familities the cost is exceptionally high. Although there is financial aid the cost can put much burden and strain on people from this backgrounds. Beign in college is expensive and the high cost discourages many people to persue higher education and for those who do it takes alot of effort and comitment to finish school. The most frustration thing about my school is the cost.

The University of Arizona is a very dynamic school with many goals in mind. They do their best to keep students involved and working at their interests. Still, the school is very large, and can be overwhelming for some students. Rather than specialize, the University of Arizona excels in many areas. I believe with the multitude of choices that the school has to offer, that the most frustrating thing at the university would be a figuring out what they want to do in life. The school offers many opportunities to find out, yet the task can still be difficult.

In terms of my perspective, the most frustrating thing about my school would be adjusting to the presence of classmates from different financial backgrounds. Growing up, I was not surrounded by wealth and the chance to splurge on material items. Being in presence of this lifestyle is nothing I am used to because a majority of the students I see are Anglo and a part of the upper-class society. I am still working on accepting the different lifestyles people have growing up, but I strongly wish that money didn't drive the personality and needs of young adults.

Each year the University accepts more students (40,000+), yet the school does not have the budget to create more classes. Psychology is a very popular major, and as a senior I was not able to register for the courses I needed to graduate. I always had difficulty registering for psychology courses through my college career at this school, so eventually I switched majors because I was wasting my time. Also at the same time they gain more students, they are reducing the amount of parking available throughout campus. This is extremely frustrating.