University of Arkansas at Monticello

« See more reviews of University of Arkansas at Monticello

WHAT I HAVE GOTTEN OUT OF MY COLLEGE EXPERIENCE SO FAR IS RESPONSIBILITY, PROFESSIONALISM, DEDICATION, TEAM WORK, GOAL STEEING, AND SO MUCH MORE. I THINK IT HAS BEEN OF GREAT VALUE TO ME BECAUSE THESE QUALITIES CAN TRANSFER INTO MY ULTIMATE GOAL OF BECOMING AN R.N. AND GIVES ME THAT MUCH MORE COFIDENCE. BEFORE ATTENDING COLLEGE I ALWAYS DOUBTED MYSELF DID NOT BELIEVE I COULD HANDLE COLLEGE. I HAVE BEEN ATTENDING COLLEGE FOR OVER 6 MONTHS AND HAVE OUT GROWN THAT LOW SELF-ESTEEM AND HAVE ALSO PUSHED MYSELF TO SET EVEN BIGGER GOALS THAN WHAT I ENTERED COLLEGE WITH. I HAVE LEARNED THAT ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE AND THE SKY IS THE LIMIT WHEN IT COMES TO YOUR PERSONAL GOALS, YOU JUST HAVE TO BE DEDICATED AND HAVE THAT DRIVE. I HAVE ALSO LEARNED THAT NO ONE CAN STOP YOU FROM DOING WHAT YOU WANT TO DO AND BECOMING WHAT YOU WANT TO BECOME BUT YOURSELF. ONLY YOU HAVE TO POWER TO ACCOMPLISH YOUR GOALS, JUST LIKE ONLY YOU CAN STOP YOURSELF FROM ACHIEVING YOUR GOALS. I AM PROUD OF MY SELF TODAY FOR EVERYTHING I HAVE ACCOMPLISHED SO FAR AND THE MANY MORE THINGS TO COME.

To parents, encourage your kids as much as possible to always strive for nothing less than the best, but support them even when they don't always do what's considered best (aka straight A's). Even though we don't always show it, us kids rely greatly upon your responses and if you're proud or not. ALso, be sure that your child is really willing to make the full effort to a degree in their choice, because college is not cheap these day and it would be a waste and huge loss of money if they drop out. To students, try your best to choose a major before choosing a school. It is really difficult to find a school that would best suit you, if you don't look at what the school is strong in. ALways tour campuses, because they determine more than you think, and always think ahead about living arrangements. Find what you think will make you most comfortable so that all you need to concentrate on is school. Don't ever give up no matter how hard classes get, because in the end you will be more proud of yourslef than imagined.

One should find a college that fits their needs like financial , social, academic, degree path, as well as carreer opprutunities after graduation. You should decide if a small class size or a big class size is right for you. You should also decide whether or not you want to go to a school close to your parents house. One must determine to go to a in-state school or an out of state school. It is also important to look into the on-campus living and off-campus living. Make sure to see what the options are for meal plans. One of the best ways to find a college is to visit the schools that you are interested in and get a guided tour. You should also check out a few schools that you are not really interested in because the school might have some interesting aspects that other schools might not offer. Be sure to weigh all of your options carefully and make sure to do your research. Make sure that whatever college you choose is really right for you because changing schools can be very confusing and annoying.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself, I would have told myself to go ahead and go to college after I graduated high school. I graduated in 2006 from Eudora High School, located in Eudora, Arkansas. I now have two boys, the ages of 2 and 3. I am a single parent trying to work, attend college, and manage my family. It is hard trying to accomplish all of these tasks being alone. I would have waited to have kids because I see that it's hard on me. I have to drop my kids off at school and daycare, drive to Monticello, go to my classes, when I finish my classes, I drive back to Eudora to pick my kids up. After I pick the kids up, I have to cook and clean, wash dishes and clothes, feed my family, bath my kids, put them to sleep and while they are sleeping, I do my homework if I'm not to sleepy. I think that attending college would be much easier if I didn't have any kids. It would have been easier to find an apartment on campus and a good school and daycare.

The best advice I could give myself would be to take the time in grammer school and high school much more seriously. Didn't understand how the little things they were teaching in elementary school would translate to college and life. The discipline and study habits taught then will help you later in life. I would tell myself to study harder in high school and that all the fun in high school does not equate to the fun you will have as a successful college student and graduate, especially when you are reaping the success in life of having achieved an education. And lastly I would tell myself to take the testing process in high school more seriously, understanding the high cost of higher education, and the importance of higher grades in helping to defer the cost of the educative process. I will finish college but with debt that I wouldn't have had if I would have just worked harder in school. So myself work hard now so you don't get behind in life.

The best college for an incoming freshman is a campus that introduces you to new people and activities yet keeps you focused on your academics too. Not only do you need to work on that balance yourself, you also have to have the right enviroment to help you keep that balance. You don't need a boring campus with no campus life, although it would keep you more focused on your academics, because you would simply be unhappy without a social life. On the other side of the spectrum, you don't need a campus that pulls you away from your academics too much. Even though you may think you have the drive to stay focused, you may be wrong once your opened up to newer social activites and events you've never been apart of before. My point is that you can't just depend on yourself to stay focused. You should choose a college that you can depend on to support you to stay focused yet keep you socially active by meeting new people and getting out there.

I would repeatedly tell myself that college isn't about getting a degree. A degree may be the main goal of all college students, but it shouldn't be what it's all about. I would tell any high school senior now that college is, most definitely, working on who you are or discovering who you really are. High school often becomes a mask to some people because you try too hard to impress someone else or you try to fit in to all the groups for popularity. I had a lot of trouble with this coming into college because I've always wanted to do what my parents wanted me to do. It actually ended up setting me back a lot, and I wish I could go back and start over with what I wanted to do in the beginning. While in college, do things to find yourself and develop of who you are and what you can do; find your strengths and weaknesses both academically as well as mentally. This will help you imensely in your future in all that you do.

Stop. Relax. Take a deep breath. Listen, girl, things are about to get a little crazy for you, and I know you're scared, but I need you to be brave. I need you to gather up all of your courage and do what you know is good for you. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Don't just follow along with what everyone else is doing. Don't be afraid to say no. Forget how the very definition of the word "procrastination" and do your homework! Make friends, don't let yourself be lonely. Make a playlist for everything you do: road trips, cleaning, studying, homework, partying, whatever. Do what you do, and love what you do. Get a job - I'm not kidding, get one fast - student loans are not fun. But, most importantly, be yourself and love yourself and keep yourself happy. Promise? You sure you can do it? Positive? I know you can. Good girl. Get out there and change the world for me now, baby. You've got a long road ahead of you.

I feel you have to choose a college that is right for you based on where you want to be and the type of carreer you choose. If you want to be close to home then your local college would be better for you . Just make sure that they are offering a field you are interested in not just something you can be satisfied with. Make sure you study hard and keep up with your classes and then you can have time for social life later. School can be a wonderful thing if you go in with a positive attitude and stay focused. Skipping classes and not going for extra study sessions can only hurt you in the end. It makes your grades look bad and keeps you from acheiving your goals. You can get involved in sports and activities which can allow for you to travel and experience new things. College is a very rewarding decission to make however, you have got to keep your mind focussed.

My advice to parents and students for finding the right college would be to look for colleges that will give the student the most scholarships that the student can recieve. Money can disappear fast, and scholarships help out a lot. I would also tell the parents and students to look for campuses that have great research sources. Libraries seem to look and sound boring but they come in great use if they are big and have a lot of sources, especially for research papers. My advice for the students that is looking for the college experience would have to be to choose the college that have a lot of intremurals, which are fun games and tournaments that are held by the college. University of Arkansas at Monticello have great resources and a lot of intremurals. UAM also have a great hospitality which is very important when a student is looking for help.