Fort Smith, AR
University of Arkansas-Fort Smith

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Arkansas-Fort Smith

Erik

I have gotten to know some really nice people. These include professors (of which I am older than most) and students which I am older than most. The learning is also something that really sticks out because the atmosphere is more non-traditional here than at your typical four year university.

I wish I had known about the scholarship and grant opportunities before I signed up for the loans.

The worst thing about this school is the administration of financial aid. You get different answers depending on who you speak with and they tend to want to find blame instead of solutions. To be certain, there are very, helpful financial aid counselors but for the most part, they are inconsistent.

Alex

The University of Arkansas at Fort Smith was student oriented, yet some of the professors seemed like they really did not care if you suceeded or failed.

I have really seen what college classes are acutally like, size wise and learning wise. I now know how to better my future education. I have learned that I need to try harder, and study more often.

The most frustrating thing was that some of the teachers did not care about the students well-being and if they passed or failed the class.

Heather

As a returning student, I have been able to experience college as a recent high school graduate and as a non-traditional adult student. I decided when I was in first grade that I was going to be an engineer. I looked forward to college and worked hard through school to prepare. I feel that my early college experience confirmed to me that there is a world of opportunities out there that I hadn?t even considered. The variety of required courses provided exposure to literature, Sociology, music, Psychology, and many other subjects that opened my eyes to the possibilities for study. I learned so much. But, it all served to confirm and support my lifelong dream to make a difference in the world as an engineer. Now, I am back in school, after taking time off to have a family, and am thankful for the myriad experiences that have prepared me to be a successful student and engineer and to, hopefully, make a difference in the world through my chosen field.

UA Fort Smith has been growing very quickly, which is a great thing in many respects; however, they are really struggling to provide enough parking and living space on and near campus. It can be very frustrating to spend 30 minutes looking for a parking space.

I love to tell people how quickly the school is growing and about the increasing educational and social opportunities available through UA Fort Smith. I am part of a very fast-growing Engineering program that provides increasing opportunities to try new things and network with industry professionals.

Christopher

If I had the ability to go back in time to tell myself what I know now as a college freshman, I would tell myself that it is important to practice time managemant and organizational skills to be successful in college while taking on multiple demanding tasks such as a part time job and attending college full time. High school is another world than college and, as a high school student, I had been told numerous times that learning how to study effectively in less time is vital for success in college. In high school, the teachers make sure you do everything in their classes to pass them but in college they do not care for the most part if you pass or not. The responsiblity of the professor is to teach you the material so that you can understand it well and it is the college student's responsiblity to use the information to succeed in performing tasks assigned by the professor. I wished I would have known as a high school student that college builds upon knowledge that I learned previously and that it is important to remember the things that I learned pertaining to my major.

I have always wanted to go to college and I couldn't afford to go to larger colleges so I decided to attend UAFS and it has been a great college. One thing that I didn't really realize at that time, but wouldn't have changed my decision either way, is just how small the campus is. I had expected it to be small but I didn't really think it would be a school that I would get used to so soon. I know there is many oppurtunities UAFS offers but I hunger for change.

I consider the fact that UAFS has some professors in the science and math departments that do not teach on a level that college students can understand the worst aspect of this college. Most of the professors are fairly understanding of certaing academic issues and will work with you if at all possible. The fellow students are friendly and eager to lend a hand for the most part. The college is great despite the issue of having to take certain classes that are only taught by two or three professors and both have bad reviews by students.

Monika

If I could go back in time I would tell myself to not let others opinions affect where I go. I would tell myself to apply to many colleges, to explore new things. Over and over we hear that college is a time to find yourself. I would tell myself to get out there hold nothing back, to not worry so much because your smart and you will accomplish this. I would tell myself to not let the limitations placed on me, stop me. College is great! You'll love it! The last thing I would tell myself is to make new friends but don't forget the old ones and above that stay close with family! They will be your Rock!

I find my school to be great, however I dislike the fact that the greek system gets alot more benefits and funding then the other organizations. I think a University should show equallity and not favor one association over another.

The most frustrating thing about the University of Arkansas- Fort Smith is the parking situation. The University over booked by 1300 students and is therefore short on parking. This is hard on everyone. I have to get to the university almost 45 minutes in advance just to find a parking spot.

Flor

MY CLASSMATES HAVE THEIR OWN UNIQUE CHARACTERISTICS. FOR EXAMPLE SHY,TALKATIVE, MOTIVATED, OUTSPOKEN,AND FUNNY! THEY ARE WHAT MAKES THE CLASSES MORE INTERESTING.

Going back in time to give advice to my self about college would be very helpful. I would have told myself to choose wisely the classes I should get and consult an advisor. Also tell my self to get classes after 12 p.m. but before 4 p.m. thats the best schedule time in my opinion. what else would say? hmmm..do not be afraid to get involve in class discussion, its better for the proffesor to notice you involve in the discussion. The most important advice I would have given my self is to manage time wisely and have a planner to organize my days. Also take money managment classes. Finally i would say have fun! Enjoy college its a opportunity to be someone inlife. Their are many people who would be glad to help out. So lets do are best and reach our goals.

THE WORST THING ABOUT MY UNIVERSITY IS FINDING PARKING. A LOT OF PEOPLE DRIVE TO SCHOOL AND THERE IS NOT ENOUGH PARKING FOR ALL OF US SO OCCASIONALLY WE END UP GOING TO CLASS LATE. OTHER THEN THAT PROBLEM EVERYTHING ELSE IS GOOD.

alyson

If I were to go back and talk to myself, I would say that I need to make sure that I am prepared. Going from high school to college is a big transition for people who are not ready. I was excited and ready to meet new people, not exactly ready for all of the classes. I struggled my first year, but now I am doing much better! So I would say, make sure to pay attention and study all you can, because this transition will be difficult. I would also tell myself not to focus on social life at first, but to focus on what I wanted to do specifically in college. I would make sure that I knew what my career ambitions were before I started.

Juan

The first and only advice I would give to myself would be 'Focus' I think when you focus on something, you put everything else away and keep certain things in mind. And that's what we need to do in school is 'focus', put away all interest in video games, friday night, weekend parties, hanging out with friends on school night and focus on school because high school is a critical moment in your life which will determine where you will be spening the next 4 years of your life. Do you just want to do ok like me and end up in a small universtiy that limits the studying expansion? Or would you like to try hard and end up in a big university full of diversity and activities and live in a dorm like every teens dream? This is my only advice I would give to myself. And all I expect is success.

I wish I could have known that it was more like a highschool than a college.

People who are looking for a serious and very acedemic future.

Chris

It used to be a community college, and it's starting to grow and get a lot more students. It's a decently close together campus, so there's not a lot of walking which is nice. In my opinion, it has an amazing music department. It's a very organized school. It's close to home and overall it's just a really good school.

If I could go back in time and give myself advice when I was a senior in high school, I would tell myself that college is not at all like high school is. There is some advantages and some disadvantages. I would tell myself that I need to get prepared for a different life that's a lot harder than high school is. You need to get prepared to study and practice your instrument every night. You need to get financially prepared to pay tuition and books. You need to stop goofing around right now and start being serious about school. If you screw around in college than there's no going to the principals office or anything, there's no second chances. If you want to get anywhere in life you need to do well in college, I know you can you just have to tell yourself to do it Chris. The most important thing of all is that you need to just start being mature and be serious about college it's the most important thing right now. It's only hard if you make it hard I know you can do it. So go get 'em tiger!

That college is definately not like High School at all. I would have also told myself that I need to get ready all the work and practicing I'm going to need to start doing, and I would have told myself not to mess around and start being a serious student and start working hard because this is what's going to decide on what I'm going to be doing for the rest of my life. It's serious stuff so be ready for it man!

Morgan

My classmates are very helpful and kind in all of my classes and work together to make the class more interesting.

My school is best known for being a place of higher learning and a prestigious campus.

If I could go back into time and talk to myself as a high school senior, there would be a lot I would tell myself to prepare me for an entire new outlook on college life. I would tell myself not to be as nervous as I was the first day of the first semester, and not to think that the professors were going to hurt me if I didn't have all of my supplies. Another would be that college is your own responsibility and to attend class or not, that would be up to me. Also, I would tell myself that no matter what happened, that I should never give up. To always strive to do my best and leave it at that. Lastly, to have fun. College is more laid back than high school is and it shouldn't always be stressful. Enjoying life, becoming what you've always wanted to be, and making memories should be the most important part of the college life.

University of Arkansas-Fort Smith administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.