Fort Smith, AR
University of Arkansas-Fort Smith

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Arkansas-Fort Smith

Alex

It's a fairly small school, the professors know who you are and are interested in you succeeding

I would tell myself not to skip class because it isn't like high school where if you miss it's not really a big deal, just make up the work and you're done. If you miss a class in college, you miss valuable lectures and class disussions that would help you out significantly on the tests. There isn't a whole lot of homework so it makes it tempting to skip class, but don't skip. It's not worth it and you're paying them to teach you so why would you not show up? I would tell myself that the tests are a lot harder than they are in high school and to study as soon as you get the material instead of cramming the night before. That doesn't work like it does in high school. There is a lot more material and it's more of do you really understand the material, more practical uses of the material instead of just reciting what the teacher said.

There are no dead days before final exams begin. The parking situation is not very good and it's hard to find a spot to park.

tarshica

stay focus because it will pay off in the future. Remain yourself always never change for anyone.

not enough activities for the african american population or as the same activities as the surrounding colleges.

Andrea

If I coiuld go back to advise myself when I was in high school, I would tell myself to relax. It would have been nice to know that I don't have to be responsible for everyone and everything. It would have been nice to know that there would be a day when I wouldn't have to help pay my parents bills. It would have been nice to know that my siblings were going to be ok when I left for college. In general, I could have really benefited from knowing how to relax, and knowing that the world wouldn't stop when I started to take care of myself and nopt everyone else.

The advisors are not quite on top of things. You have to send multiple emails and visit them several times just to get one thing acomplished.

The teachers make a point to get to know you, and help you.

My school is small enough to where you can park and walk to almost every building on campus and still make it to class on time. But large enough to provide numerous opportunities. Other schools tend to be so big that it can be hard for students to make it to where they need to be in a timely manner and it can disrupt the learning process and focus.

My advice for students would be to take a leap of faith. Even if you feel like college isn't right for you, take a chance. It's amazing the opportunities and chances you'll have once you walk on the campus. Take time to enjoy your college experience and meet new people while still planning for you future. It's never too early nor too late to better yourself and college is just the thing to do that. My advice for parents would be don't worry about money. There is plenty of help out there and plenty of advisors on campus to help you and your child in finding that help. Also, don't be afraid to let go. Let you child experience life to it's fullest. Encourage them to take chances and to get out there and make a name and a life for themselves. All in all, college is the one place you can go to ensure positive influences and brighter futures.

The worst thing about my school i would have to say would be the cost. I work and go to school. It's hard to make ends meet and pay for tuition and books. I want a college degree so i can succeed and go far in life but the cost just seems to keep rising. That makes getting a degree hard.

Nicholas

I wish i would have known more study skills before coming here, but it wasn not hard to adjust and learn what you needed to learn to succeed in your academics because of the help from the students and faculty.

First, apply to all the colleges that you are interested to, and visit them. Sit in a classroom and listen to the lectures. Second, apply for every financial aids you are eligible for. They are a lot of ways to get money to fund for your college experience, but you have to be willing to look for it. Third, get involved on the campus because thats how you find friends, and find things you like to do outside of school and studying for you courses. Getting involved and being social can be a nice break from the rough courses and the studying. Last, if you can afford it, live on campus. It beats having to get up and fight for a parking space, and most of all its a great way to learn how to be independent, and find a lot of new friends that will end up being your friends for life.

The best thing about our school is how well the students help each other when another student is in need, and how the faculty provide the same help. The professors have a fixed amount of offive hours every week, and they are very flexible when you need to contact them whether it be via e-mail, by dropping by there office, or calling them they are always willing to help you.

Allan

Parents, let your kids choose which college they get to go to, don't hold them back for selfish reasons. They only get to go to college once, so let them go where they want. They won't let you down by not learning, they'll actually try harder, to make sure you won't be disappointed. They may make some bad choices, but you live and learn. They'll do better after learning how not to do it.

It doesn't have as much classes as other universities. Foreign languages, for example, i wanted to take Korean, but they don't have it here.

That it isn't the school that I wanted to go to.

Debbie

Remember that picking a college because it sounds neat is not wise. Make a pros and cons list and think about all of the options. Get involved on campus, and find out what your school has to offer...you'll be suprised what you find they have.

A person who likes one on one time with the professors, and a person who likes campus activities but would also like to be able to hold a job and half a life outside of college, although this is not true for the performing arts degrees.

The most frustrating thing about this school is the fact that it is so conservative.

Jordan

The best thing about my school is its not to stressful and I love the academic standpoint. I also love playing baseball for the university!

If I were going to give advice to someone I would first off say you should just choose whats feels right to you. Dont make your decision based on your parents or someone else. You should go on a visit to the school and after that you will know already if its right for you. I knew when I came to The University of Arkansas at Fort Smith it was the right place for me academically and athletically! I hope you make a wise decision as to which school you choose. I know I did!

Kurt

It is Community College that went to a 4 year University about 3 years ago. As a result it still feels like High school and I have never been in a class that has more than 40 students. It is very friendly and all of the Professors are teaching oriented, they don't do research so they are only there to teach.

My advise to finding a college is to start looking during the students senior year of college, or even junior year. This is because you not only need to find the right college, you have to apply, find scholarships, financal aid, and more. Don't forget that you will be spending the next 4-6 years of you life there. Also find what you want major you want to declare. I've seen many undeclared students spend money on useless classes when they don't have too.

sam

Find a college that has almost everything that you want, dont settle with the first one that you see, find one that there are student resources that will help you study or relearn thing things in class that were not tought well, And last find one that you can afford when they secretly apply charges to you account and you have to pay for them.

the best thing about this school, are the technical fields, lik e welding and automotive and the more hands on classes, the teachers are more likley to be interested in you learning the course.

University of Arkansas-Fort Smith administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.