Fayetteville, AR
University of Arkansas

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Arkansas

Brandon

If I could go back in time and give my younger self advice about college, I would tell myself that I need to learn how to study. My high school career was pretty lax for the most part-I never really had to put any extra effort into my studies, and because of this I am just now learning how to go over my materials effectively. As it could be imagined, this has had an impact not only on my schoolwork but on my mind as well; I am often worried if I have gone over a class' materials enough or if I truly understand a subject well enough to use what I am learning. Although I have maintained somewhere near a 3.1 GPA for my entire college career up until this point, studying would have bumped up my GPA to a higher point than it is currently sitting at and would have given me more confidence in my abilities to learn the material and apply it. Of all of the messages that I could ever give my younger self, I believe that this message would have the greatest impact on my current situation and standings at the university.

There aren't really a lot of activities or clubs at the school that interest me. There are usually events going on that are hosted by fraternities, sports games and things of the like going on, but none of them really interest me. For those with a nerdier outlook there is a larping group, but it is very disappointing. Unfortunately, there is not much going for the RSOs on campus, and I'm really not sure how one would get in contact with them anyways.

I don't believe there's anything entirely frustrating here.

Macie

My classmates are friendly and outgoing.

My classmates are friendly and outgoing.

The worst thing about my school is all the hills on the campus because it tires me out.

The advice I would give to my past self would be don't slack off. Go to classes, study for test, and do the best you could possibly do.

Dakota

Dear Dakota: It is good to see you Dakota. I'm sure you have a ton of questions, but I don't have much time. My first advice to you is to enjoy your last year of high school and live every moment of it. This last year will be a great conclusion to your high school legacy. I know that you have been stressing about college. Just continue to do what you are doing and know that you will end up where you are supposed to. Now on to what I am sure you are just dying to know about. College is going to a very different experience for you. Going from a town of 4,000 to a college campus of 20,000+ will take some adjusting, but don't worry you will get the hang of it. When you first get on campus try to be as outgoing as possible. I know that that will be tough, but you will meet some great people. Also you know the head football equipment manager you have been e-mailing? Keep e-mailing him, I'm sure something will come of it. Good luck and remember to just be yourself!

The best thing about my school is the campus life. With a total student body of 25,000, there are tons of people that you can be. Being a D1 athletic campus also has some advantages! The fan base here is very loyal, and there are always sporting events to attend with some friends. With such a large student body, you are bound to find people who share the same interests as you. There are many Clubs and Organizations ran by fellow students that cover a vast area of topics and personal interests! So get out there and join today!

There really isn't a kind of person that shouldn't attend the University of Arkansas. No matter what type of person you are, there are activities and places for everybody. If you are the social type, then the greek life is right for you. Do you like to be active? There are many athletic complexes that hold a variety of events! Some people don't like to go out and that's okay. There are many locations on campus that are perfect for you to go and relax at! There's something for everyone at the University of Arkansas!

Cameron

The University of Arkansas is an outstanding school that offers many opporunities for students to earn a degree, while getting involved with the community and student organizations that will help open doors to a successful career.

Someone who is dedicated to achieving academic success and is willing to do what ever it takes to pave their path to a brighter future. Someone who is not afraid to be a leader and who aspires to make themselves a better student and person through the endless opportunities offerred at the University of Arkansas. Someone who enjoys the outdoors and being surrounded by people who have common goals. Lastly, someone who is open to exerieincing different cultures and environments that come with attending this University.

As a high school senior I was unaware of the academic, lifestyle, and environmental changes that came with moving away from home and attending college. The most important advice that I would give myself as a high school senior would be to create effective studying habbits now and avoid waiting till the last minute to accomplish tasks. In college you are faced with many more distractions than you were in high school and it makes it difficult to want to make the time to do homework or study. By creating these habits now, you will be better prepared to avoid distractions and it will make the transition from high school to college a lot easier. The second advice I would give myself would be to practice on managing my time more efficiently. While in high school you are told what time you have to attend class, eat lunch, and socialize with friends, in college you have to juggle your time to do certain tasks around the time of your classes. If you practice on setting times for yourself to do certain things outside of school, you will be better equipped for managing your life in college.

Catharine

I believe the best aspect of my school is the faculty, especially the advising department. The adjustment from a small community college to a large university was difficult but I had countless people from Student Development Specialists to Learning Coaches guiding and assisting me thorough this trying time. They helped maintain my focus and set my eyes on the finish line. It is apparent that the staff at the University of Arkansas has my success as their number one priority, not only in the classroom, but also in the work field and beyond.

If I had the capabilities to rewind time, I would go back and whisper these words once uttered by my idol, Julia Child, into my high-school self’s young and naïve ears, “find something you’re passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it.” I was diagnosed with a learning disability; therefore, one of the many labels now stamped onto my forehead is “math deficiency” due to dyslexia. My dream was to become a Registered Dietitian but the degree requires extensive advanced science courses. I thoroughly convinced myself that I was incapable to achieve this goal, that I would fail. Consequently, I devoted two years to studying Hospitality Administration, a seemingly ideal second choice. Although I graduated, with honors even, this was never something I was “tremendously interested” in, just something that I could do. I held myself back from my dream because of my fear of failure. I have since then transferred and now studying Dietetics. The struggle is real but it will make me appreciate my achievement so much more. I am passionate about nutrition and I would have told my former self to not allow doubt to overtake you - you can accomplish anything you desire.

Be original and do NOT be afraid to stand out! I understand that it seems like everyone around you is wearing Chacos and NorthFace but in thirty years from now, will you really be concerned with what brand you were wearing or what social group you pledged? Absolutely not! Do not forget why you enrolled in college – for an education and a brighter future! These next few years are the deciding factor between a job and a career. Make the most of this time, not only for now, but for the rest of your life!

MaryKate

Athletics, Greek Life, Walton College of Business

Athletics, Greek Life, Walton College of Business

The way the media depicts college life is not how it really is. There is more to college than just wild parties, you actually have to work very hard. Being able to master the balancing act between getting enough sleep, doing well academically, and having a satisfying social life is something you'll have to work on for a while. It will be pretty stressful at first, trying to find your perfect balance of these 3 things, but keep trying and you'll eventually figure out the formula that is best for you. Getting involved on campus DOESN'T make you a nerd. The more you get involved on campus, the more opportunities you open up for yourself, both during college, and for your future. Make friends with people who have different cultural, religious, and other views than you. The more you put yourself out there, the more you will actually enjoy college (it's not all work). You don't have someone making you go to class, but GO. It teaches you responsibility and you'll miss out on a lot if you don't go. Most importantly, make the most of this experience, you only experience it once!

Adam

The difficulty in finding classes. Just recently the U of A had to reduce the capacity of each class room, due to fire insspections, resulting in greater competiion for classes. This makes creating your schedule more difficult, especially for the students with less credit hours.

The ability to do undergraduate research for the college is incredible and something you can't find in other colleges in the state. There are thousands of RSOs (registered student orginizations) which gives everyone to be apart of something as well as your classes. The atmosphere is incredible and the campus is beatiful year round!

Dear Adam, Do not to conform to the crowd! When you enter college, you will see many who will be consumed in their personal image, striving to make themselves look great to others. If you are not careful you will fall to this trend. It is likely if you don't stay true to your character, you will begin to make radical decisions during this time. Strive to find friends who realize the importance of living a life with integrity. Do not be conformed to the environment around you that tells you its okay to slack off and just get by! Sadly, my first semester I fell into bad decision. But I did find a strong group of friends who took me off a path that could have lead to a bad start. Adam, in retrospect, I can tell you if you remember this exhortation, you will do great things your freshmen year!Always remember that Mom and Dad are proud of you and will always love you. Stay strong to your faith. I'm excited to see what you will do if you will make the wise decisions. You can do this! Your future self Adam Burroughs

Chelsea

Freshmen year is meant to be fun, but attending class is also important. Meet everyone you can and start making connections now. They will help out later if you need help in class or a study group. Go Greek! You meet amazing people and it can help you with your future job.

Buy RAINBOOTS! When it rains here, it rains sideways and floods.

Shaudrey

All of my classmates are very hard -working.

All of my classmates are very hard -working.

The type of person that should not attend this school are ones who are not willing to take a challenge, or someone who is not hard working and determined.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, i would give myself a liitle advice. This semester has taught me some valuable lessons. The first piece of advice is to develop good study habits. Although I never had to study in high school, college is much different. If I had developed those habits it's would not have been so difficult to figure out how to study. One other piece of advice is to learn how to take notes. Notetaking is valuable because you must decipher what's important and that is a great study tool. I believe if I had used these two things, the transition would have been much easier.

University of Arkansas administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.