University of Arkansas

« See more reviews of University of Arkansas

I have found that some people look down on greeks. It makes me upset because people shouldn't judge someone just because they have a shirt with greek letters on it. I think out-of-state students that come from far away would feel most left out. (Maine, Vermont, etc.) I don't know about most students, but most people I KNOW wear comfy pants/shorts and t-shirts. Occassionally I may slip on some jeans. I frequently wear hats and flip flops. I think it's only necessary to be comfortable if you have to sit in class. I more than likely will pay more attention when I'm comfortable than if I had to worry about my thong hanging out of my low-cut jeans or my heels digging into the dirt. Most students are from Arkansas, and there is a large percentage of students that I know from Texas. Most people here are pretty wealthy thanks to their parents.

1. there is alot of diversity on campus, opportunities to be a part of or learn more about anything cultural 2. a student who is not involved or ready for a new experience 3. t shirts and jeans- very casual 4. yes 5. a sorority/ frat table, an atheletes table, an artsy table, a table of smart but fun people 6. north arkansas and states surrounding north arkansas 7. wealthy 8. yes, very involved in politics- a mix of everything 9. not really

I realized that it doesn't matter who you are, everyone takes you for who you are. I am Jewish and I haven't met another Jewish person yet. It bothered me at first, but I realized that people either don't care or just don't know. I went to a non-denominational private school, where the majority of the students were Jewish. Most of my good friends are Jewish, here it is different, but I still don't mind that it is different.

Most Arkansas students are from Arkansas. There are quite a few from the surrounding states also: Texas, Tennessee, Mississippi, Louisiana, Missouri, etc. We do have quite a few foreign exchange students here as well that are studying abroad. I don't think anyone would feel out of place at Arkansas. Everyone has the southern hospitality thing going here so it would be hard to feel out of place I think.

The student body at Arkansas is very supportive. There is not a whole lot of diversity around campus, which I personally think is kind of a shame and something that the campus should work on. There is a comfortable vibe from the students here. Most students dress casually to class. It's fun to just go to class in a t-shirt and jeans and then save nicer clothes for when we go out.

I think we are a very diverse campus at AR. I have never had an experience where someone felt they were treated unfair, like by a professor or other students. Most students wear casual clothes to class, it is a very relaxed campus. I have a lot of friends here from AR and a lot from out of state, so most arkansas students are from everywhere!

Coming to the U of A with a stereotypical picture of how "Arkansas Girls" is completly wrong. There is a wide variety of girls that go to the U of A. Even the stereotype of a sorority girl is wrong because all different types of girls join sororities and there is most likely going to be someone just like you no matter where you go!

The student body is really diverse if you really look around. Of course being in greek life it can seem that that is all that is around is other greeks but there is a pretty equal representation of people on campus. I wear jeans and a t-shirt to class and I think pretty much everyone does. It isn't a very formal campus at all.

Most classmates I encounter are fairly mannered but have a large inclination to believe being at school is just about hooking up or partying. And the sad thing is they aren't going to realize how damaging that is to their overall attitude and grades until they start to struggle. And I know a LOT that are struggling.

It is not impossible, but quite difficult, to master all of the possible areas of study in academia, making the diverse group of classmates you will collaborate with at the University of Arkansas an invaluable resource as you enter a globalized workforce more interconnected than ever before.