University of Arkansas

« See more reviews of University of Arkansas

Greek Life on campus is amazing

SPORTING EVENTS=A-mazing

The Greek organizations are a big part of campus although sports are huge. There are also many honorary fraternities on campus open to all students. Students in dorms typically leave their doors open creating a social scene throughout the semester. Athletic events are very popular for both students and fans, Arkansas has one of the largest College football stadiums with further plans for expansion, and one of the largest and nicest basketball arenas of any D1 schools. Guest speakers are brought in throughout the year with larger venues taking place at one of the basketball arenas and smaller events in the Union. All events are widely publicized before hand. Arkansas has a great dating scene on and off campus, most students are very social and are always looking to have a good time. I met my closest friends hanging out and partying with them. Fraternities and Sororities are very important to many people on campus and are embraced by the University administration. If I am awake at 2am on a Tuesday Morning I am usually working on a big project or hanging out with friends having a good time. People on campus can't wait for the weekend and many start early on Thursday or even Wednesday if its a slow week. Arkansas is a wet campus and typically turns is back on underage drinking as long as it takes place out of site and in a safe manner. Many first year dorms are dry but that doesn't prevent students from pre-gaming before heading out on the weekend. A large number of people on campus also smoke marijuana although other drugs are not prevalent and are typically not accepted by the general student population. Last weekend I started my night off by getting a half gallon of whisky to share between four of my friends. We drove over to a friends house Thursday night, which was close enough to campus to walk back later that night if we needed to. We hung out and played drinking games and were even lucky enough to find a ride home (there is also a "safe ride" program sponsored by the university which runs Thursday-Sunday morning. On Friday there was a Foo Fighters concert sponsored by the student activity association, after that the night ended up like Thursdays. On Saturday we partied at another friends house and were able to walk back on early Sunday morning. Most Fraternity houses have hall parties on the weekends but last weekend was kind of slow. Some people like to hang out in the dorms and play video games or watch movies on the big screen in the dorm on the weekends, there are also other activities that are hosted by the recreation center on weekends. I usually go out to eat off campus at least once a week and I also like to go shopping at the Mall and walking down dixon street to see whats going on.

Greek life is really big on campus and greeks stay connected and get involved in various other groups. Another big group is Student Alumni Board who attend events for Alumni and students and participate in other events on campus. Associated Student Government also has a large presence on campus. Athletic events (namely football and baseball) are very popular among students because they are cheap or free to attend and there is a lot of Razorback pride among students. Guest speakers have gotten more popular in recent years thanks to the Distinguished Lecturers Committee, who brought in some big name speakers like Anderson Cooper and Malcolm Gladwell. I met my closest friend through my sorority. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I'm either studying or at a function. People party on a varying scale. I know some people who go out and party every night of the week and some who only go out once or twice a month. Last weekend I worked a baseball series as a part of Razorback Diamond Dolls. It was also my sorority's Mom's Day so I spent time with my mom and attended various events that my sorority held. I also attended an executive council meeting for my sorority because I am the treasurer. There are many things you can do on a Saturday night that don't involve drinking including putt putt golf, the movies, hanging out with friends and playing games (Rock Band, Guitar Hero, board games), concerts, or just spending time with friends. Off campus, I usually study and spend time with friends. I also work at a gift shop.

Greek Life takes up a lot of the social calendar, and the houses are very competitive w/ each other. Every house has a stereotype. There's usually something going on at a frat house, but if it's a registered party, and you're a guy, you can't get in unless you're on the list. Girls are always welcome, of course. Most people start partying on Thursdays. Pretty much everyone parties. If you haven't before, you most likely do now. If you don't drink, though, you usually watch movies or just hang out. People keep their grades up, though, and the Union and Library are always full around exams. Political clubs are pretty popular, and so is ASG. Dorm doors are sometimes open in the more social dorms, like Humphreys or Yocum. Those are the two big party dorms. Most kids hate living in Pomfret, b/c they have to climb this ridiculous steep hill to get to class. Most upper classmen live in Greek Houses or off campus. Everyone goes to the football games, and if you can afford the tickets, the basketball games too. If you aren't at the football game, you're rooting for the Hogs from wherever you are. You make sure to turn on the TV to watch it, even if you're in some other state, visiting family. Baseball games are popular, but only b/c kids like to sit on the outfield w/ their coolers, drinking and socializing. That's what you go to the baseball games for.

Popular groups and organizations are definately going greek!! It is such a good way to stay involved on campus and meet a ton of people! We are always going to events, be it theater or athletic or guest speakers, or just going out to have fun! We all have a closenit relationship with each other, an no sorority or fratnernity are disliked! All the girls that live in my dorm are amazing, I never have to lock my door ever! With so many students, it is hard not to interact with the opposite sex. There are also events such as speed dating and workshops for people in different stages of relationships. I would say that people party a lot at Arkansas. It is one of our favorite past times. We do, however, realize that sense there is a party almost every night that if we need to stay in to study, we can always go out the next time! Partying does NOT always mean drinking! There are tons of events set up by the University that are alcohol free, whether its dances or concerts or guest speakers! There are parks to go to, clubs to go dancing at, and one can even go to a frat party with out being pressured to drink. People understand and respect that not everyone likes to drink, and it is still very easy to have fun sober!

Greek life is big! Being in a sorority or fraternity gives you the ability to network, make lots of friends, etc. I am involved with Kappa Delta sorority. I play lots of the intramural sports. I am also in community service organizations, because I like to volunteer. In the dorms I left my door open when I was in my room. It was a fun atmosphere. Athletics are BIG. They have guest speakers/concerts a lot. Anderson Cooper is coming next week, and tonight the Foo Fighters are coming. Last year John Mayer performed. That was awesome. The dating scene, hmm, I'm not so much involved in that, but I do have lots of guy friends, and since we have social functions with the sorority, I have to ask dates a lot for those things. I met my best friends here through KD and through the dorm, and through classes. If you don't want to drink, it's cool. I don't. There are things to do. Hang out with other sober people. There are lots of movie theatres, bowling, putt-putt, restaurants, Friday night Live every week at the Union. Most people go out a lot though.. it gets them in trouble. Drinking is very popular here.

Greek life is the most popular on campus. I am apart of Kappa Kappa Gamma and i love it! It is the best sorority for my personality! Peoples personalities play a huge role in which house is best for them. I am also apart of StuMo. It stands for student mobilization. It is a campus ministry organization. I love it, and all the people that attend. The honors dorm were i live, most students keep their room doors closed, but in other dorms EVERYONE leaves them open. I do not know why that is. Athletics plays a big role on campus, as i am sure it does on every campus. I met my closets friends either from Greek Rush or StuMo or because they live in my dorm. If i am awake at 2 on Tuesday, normally i am talking with my roommate or down the hall with other people. If i had a test the next day i would probably be studying. People party every night, but mostly Thursday- Saturday. I do not drink and there is plenty for me to do. I have not been pressured to drink either, it is great! Off campus i tutor little children and i do normally shopping!

Arkansas sports dominate everything. Football games attract 84,000 screaming Razorback fans. Greek life is also huge, and constitutes a large majority of the parties around campus. People here party all the time. A good party will always take precedence over class the next morning. Even when you don't drink, you go to the houses or the parties and hangout with the people who are. Depending on the season, you can also go camping(and drink) go to the drive in(and drink), etc. You meet the people you hang out with all over- for me it is the girls I live with in my dorm, some guys that went to school with one of my girlfriends, and a boy I sat next to in Calc last semester. It is SO easy to meet people here at every party to every day in class. And everyone is always willing to hang out and go do stuff, from going to the Union to get late night for dinner to going to a friends apartment. Last weekend I went to an apartment for a party, then a house bonfire party, then to a frat house. There are plenty of different places to go.

The most popular organizations are the Greek organizations. I am involved with Kappa Delta Sorority. Students in my dorm tend to leave their doors shut, but it is understood that a friend can walk into a friend's room at any time (the hallways kind of smell... hence the closed doors). All athletic events are very popular. Guest speakers are mandatory for Greeks. I'm going to the Theater this weekend. Everyone dates everyone. I met my closest friends in my dorm. I am always awake at 2am on Tuesdays, and I'm either studying or making a Wal*Mart run with my girls. We have many traditions. People party pretty much every day of the week. Greek organizations are very important and make a great contribution to the community. Last weekend, I spent the majority of my time at the KD house in meetings. I never drink, so if you're looking for a good clean time on a Saturday, feel free to hang out with me and my friends from Cru. We go to restaurants, movies, ice skating, bowling, etc. I work off-campus.