Berkeley, CA
University of California-Berkeley

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of California-Berkeley

Jason

Make sure you visit the college before choosing it. Go into college hoping to not only get a good education but to make lots of new friends.

people who aren't open to change and diversity. who have lots of prejudices

Worried about their grades.

Worried about their grades.

Really think about what you want to do after college. If medical school is really that important to you, then grades matter, then go to a school where you can get those good grades that isn't so cut-throat!

Its prestige. Research opportunities. Location.

Allison

It is best known for its academic reputation and it's history with the free speech movement in the 1960s. Today it is considered the best public school in the United States, and is a highly regarded research institution.

Berkeley is a multifaceted campus and there is no "typical student." There are greek types, artsy types, hippies, pre-med students...everything you can imagine, making it a campus that cannot be easily stereotyped. I liked this about Berkeley, and I chose it because the students, not matter what kind of person they were, questioned things more deeply than your average young adult.

My advice is this: The right college is not something preordained. Whatever school you choose becomes the place that fits you just right - for some that might be influened by the environment of the university and for others by the social circle you adopt. Nothing about me screamed UC Berkeley when I arrived as a freshman, but with an open mind and an eagerness to grow, I fit Berkeley and it fit me. I had no expectations going into college, which was the best thing I could have ever done. I didn't think it would be life changing and didn't know I would meet the best friends I've ever had, but because I didn't plan that out for myself ahead of time, it was even more than I ever expected. It wasn't my imaginary first choice, but it became my true home because I learned to go with the flow. College is an amazing place - not matter what school you attend - it all depends on your attitude and willingness to let life (and college) change you for the better.

Shannon

Academically rigorous and socially diverse.

Academically rigorous and socially diverse.

So big you really have to make an effort to get to know your professors and others.

Make sure the campus population is a good fit for you! If you are outgoing and ready to be independent and seize opportunities, then a big school may be for you. In my experience, being at a large university meant having every conceivable opportunity available to me, but I had to go out and seek them. With a small school it may be easier to make contacts and build relationships with professors and potential job networks. An intimate classroom= easier to get to know the professor and have good references at hand for when you go on to grad school or out into the real world. Also, don't try to plow through your classes and take on huge work loads if you don't have to. Get a job and enjoy your time at school, so you can be building your resume and setting yourself up for an easier transition after you graduate. Get involved in study groups and extracurriculars. Don't let studying (or partying for that matter) be your only focus. Life's so much fuller when it's well rounded! P.S. Go BEARS!!!

Alice

Visit the campus to get a real feel of what the environment is like, and if possible, talk to students or alumni of the college. Keep in mind the kind of education and experience you want from your college experience; don't go to a school just because it has a prestigious reputation. If you don't have a "dream college," then consider what your different choice of schools has to offer you, and when you go to the school of your choice, remember to keep an open mind. Go check out clubs and events; try to get involved in your major department or residence hall. Making the most of your college experience is about trying different things and exploring the campus and its surrounding areas.

UC Berkeley has a distinct feel and atmosphere. It's free-spirited in that there are lots of different opinions expressed and people just let you be how you want to be. There's also a myriad of activities for people to get involved in.

The student section at the football games is amazing! The students are spirited, the Mic Men keep up the cheers, and the section is on the 50 yard line. Also, Cal is very supportive of students' learning what they want to learn. The Democratic Education at Cal (DeCal) program lets students create, teach, and take courses for college credit. You can take classes on Harry Potter, the Simpsons, Radiohead, belly-dancing, or sustainable living to name a few, and if there isn't a course you like, you can start the course yourself!

Inna

It is easy to get lost in the crowd or to stick to one click because it is such a large university. However, its not too hard to overcome this.

Visit the campus, the classes, various living situations. Spend some time sitting on campus and people watching to see if you like the vibe of the campus. Talk to people in your intended major and look through the classes offerred. Keep in mind that you may change your major so make sure the school offers more than one thing you are interested in and that they have the resources to support you in internships and special projects. To get the most out of college, take classes outside your field "just for fun," do a variety of extra curricular activities, and spend time exploring the area around your college.

Someone who wants to be exposed to a lot of variety both academically and socially. Someone who is independent and able to navigate a large university in order to get the most out of all that is offerred. Someone with an open mind.

Tiffany

Visit them all!!! You never know what a school is like until you see it for yourself. Keep an open mind. In all actuality any school will have its positive and negative side, so it's important to just find the one that works best for you. Once you're there try new things, look for awesome friends, and remember that this is supposed to be the best time of your life.

The co-ops and library

Ryan

After class one day, my friend and I made crowns out of ivy while waiting for another friend. Once we all separated, I walked across campus wearing my crown. Not only did no one give me a second glance, but I got asked for directions, even though I was talking on my phone. Upon arriving home, I discovered we were having a country-western themed dinner at my co-op where my glory was recorded for posterity. (When I called my friend who lives on the other side of campus, she said that no one gave her a second glance either.)

The student body is very tolerant unless you are republican. Left is right and right is wrong.

There are definitely tree-sitters, potheads, and stressed out students. However, those stereotypes do not even begin to properly describe the Cal population. Perhaps one of the best things about Cal, is that the people who come end up discovering that they're not so special anymore. They may have been the best and brightest wherever they were before, but now they may be average or dull compared to other people. So, people take up bag piping, archery, or take to wearing only purple. Thus, people become a lot more accepting of eachother's differences, because they understand how important it is to be different.

That Berkeley is full of crazy, hippies who want to sit in trees or get high. Or that all the students are so stressed out that they cannot handle the pressure.

I am part of the English department, and it truly is about learning for the glory of learning. I have no idea what I am going to do career wise, but I love going to class. I have not had a professor who isn't perfectly happy to return e-mails, talk to me out of class, or give advice. Furthermore, oftentimes I feel like I am at the foot of the master during lectures. In fact, I feel that I get so much out of lectures, that I have begun to dislike discussion groups.

James

There are so many incredible opportunities at a school with the size and prestige of Berkeley, but you need to know what you want out of college, and you'll have to take the initiative to find them, or else you may find yourself a bit lost.

Make sure to pay attention to your social life, because Berkeley academics can sometimes make you forget that you are a college student. Get out, forget you have a test and paper due on Monday, and have fun.

Liberal? Sure, plenty of that. Hippies? Not really in style these days among our generation, but I still spot a couple every once in a while. Marching in protest a la 1960s Free Speech Movement (for which UC Berkeley is probably most known for)? A far cry. UC Berkeley today is full of students who, while liberal, as would be expected of 20 year olds living in California, are as professional about living their college lives as any other college in the nation.

I hate to stereotype, but it does differ depending on your major. MCB (molecular cell biology), engineers, and hard sciences will most likely work quite a bit harder than social science or humanities majors. Business majors (pejoratively referred to as "Haasholes" in reference to the Haas business school) can be amorally cutthroat at times. Engineers often don't see the light of day for weeks. However, I still say Berkeley is the place with the most intelligent professors and students I've had the pleasure of meeting, all across the board. Definitely the right place to study if you enjoy discussing moral relativity on the bus or the consequences of the Fed's latest interest rate change.

There are plenty of student organizations and activities both on campus and nearby in the Bay Area. Being in a university with tens of thousands of students as well as next to a liberal metropolitan area gives you more options than you can probably explore in 4 years. But don't let that stop you.

University of California-Berkeley administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.