University of California-Berkeley

« See more reviews of University of California-Berkeley

Berkeley's campus is an architecturally eclectic mix of large buildings, sloping lawns, towering oaks and evergreens, and, of course, the famed clock tower. The diversity reflects the school's faculty and student body and the layout of the campus is one of my favorites of any I've visited. One of everyone's favorite places on campus is Memorial Glade, where students can be seen lounging on large tree-lined lawn (sometimes shirtless or bikini-clad) taking in rays on sunny days. Its slopes face the front of the impressive Doe Memorial Library with its towering white columns and dramatically ascending staircase. Having night classes gives you the chance to see the campus sparkle in the dark. The accent lighting around many of the monuments and the clock tower itself is really beautifully executed.

It is a lively liberal school with a lot of unique and different events and happenings going on every minute. Everywhere you turn something seems to grab your curiousity and it is not just the school but the city surrounding it. It is definitely a busy place with new things to see and experience so it never gets old. Aside from the surroundings, the academics is truly challenging and fills your mind with new knowledge that is difficult to do at first, but it is defintely not impossible.

My school is a place where students come to find who they are and most of us go away satisfied. The knowledge that we receive at UC Berkeley is influential in our quest to find the purpose of our life. We get to choose what we want to do for the rest of our lives, not caring about the amount of wealth it may bring us, but the happiness that we will receive from doing what is best for us.

The University of California Berkeley is a beautiful campus environment to enjoy the incredible resources and benefits of higher education and academic prestige while appreciating the vast diversity of the student popluation and being inspired by some of the most influential professors in the country, and all the while taking the opportunity to find yourself and your place in the world.

While a degree from UC Berkeley can inevitably aid in one's future goals, the degree itself does not shape one's life; the experiences that one encounters while attending Berkeley, from the sorority/fraternity members that will be in your wedding to discovering what your true passion is, the University of California, Berkeley provides an all-around cultural experience.

Berkeley is an excellent institution, with a top-notch faculty and resources that can compete with the best ivy league schools; that said, the environment today is a little anti-humanities--the engineering and hard science departments get all the funding and there is definitely a hierarchy among students based on major, ethnicity, and socioeconomic background.

Simply put, Berkeley is the best public teaching and research university in the nation with The students at the center of an unsurpassed educational experience, learning with the world’s top scholars and with their peers, a student body with a phenomenal range of backgrounds, perspectives, and talents.

UC Berkeley has boundless opportunities that allows everyone to find a way to pursue and engage what they are passionate about in both the traditional classroom settings as well as through clubs, sports teams, greek life, professional fraternities, and various other student organizations.

It is very liberal with the liberal arts part of the campus not speaking to the science/engineering portion; overall, it's just very liberal but is becoming increasing moderate with the increasing number of Asian-Americans on campus who are by and large ambivalent, politically speaking.

It's a school filled with normal, left-leaning college students who want to get a good education for a moderate price, who are constantly harassed by ageing hippies; nonetheless, it is a great school where there's always something going on and so many different types of people to meet.