University of California-Berkeley

« See more reviews of University of California-Berkeley

Tell us about the food and dining options.

For on campus dining options, there is the Golden Bear Cafe (GBC) on Sproul. This is your basic convenience store/ cafe. They provide burgers and soups for lunch, but they aren't really anything to brag about, just basic fare. There is also Ramona's by Wurster. They serve rice bowls, coffee, and other snacks. The dining commons for the dorms are buffet style and change their menus daily. However, they always have a salad bar, some soup, pizza, and some type of vegetarian option. The deserts aren't too bad either. You can always find the menu for the dining commons online so you can decide if you want to go there or not. All of these places accept the campus meal points. Off campus, there are plenty of options. There are a number of pizza places to go to. On the south side of campus Blondie's is the closest and probably the one I would recommend. There is also Cheeseboard, but that one is vegetarian only and its a bit of a walk. Zachary's is also good, but you have to bus there and there is always usually a bit of a wait. If you're not in the mood for pizza, but still in the mood for Italian, there's Gypsy's at the Durant Food Court, or you can walk further down Telegraph and go to Pasta Bene. There may not be many chain fast food burger places in Berkeley, but we still have some pretty good alternatives. The most well known is probably Bongo Burger. There are three of them: one on Euclid for those who live North side, one on Center Street, and one on Dwight for those on South side. There is also Smart Alec's and Manhattan Burger's across from the Durant Food Court. If you're looking for something a bit more exotic, you can always try some sushi at C U Sushi on Center or Joshu-ya's on South side. If you're looking for something sweet there's Chocolatier Blue on University Avenue or CREAM on Telegraph. There are plenty of places to eat around campus, after all, students need their brain food.

Berkeley has all sorts of food to eat. The dining commons for dorm residents are tolerable, but I suggest veering from the dining common course. Pakistani/Indian food, Thai food (of all kinds), breakfast food, healthy food (a bit harder to find), the food collective, and much more proliferate the streets of Berkeley. Food is concentrated in certain areas, such as College Ave. in Elmwood and Telegraph/Durant near campus. After a while, your normal food places will become old and you will want to try something new. That's when you walk just a little further than usual and find something entirely new that you didn't know existed before. That's the magic of Berkeley.

Most people know of Kip’s as simply a bar, and the most popular alternative to the Bear’s Lair, which only serves beer

Strada is the site of many teacher and GSI office hours and is one of the most popular meet up spots on southside

people eating lunch at noon at the Golden Bear Cafe. all things considered, it's just not as crowded at usual

Enjoying the unique advantage of hundreds of international residents and the right to serve alcohol