University of California-Berkeley

« See more reviews of University of California-Berkeley

People who should attend UC Berkeley should be highly motivated individuals who have a passion for doing research and interrogating and formulating theories that impact a global population. Students who attend Cal should be devoted to their course work and should really enjoy and have a deep interest in what they study if they hope to excel in this highly competitive environment. With that said, do not be intimidated or discouraged by what is expected of students. Berkeley is a wonderful school that nurtures individuality and free ways of thinking. Work hard and be dedicated, and you will be successful.

If a student attends Berkeley, they must be a person of dedication, ambition, passion, and change. A UC Berkeley student is one that is ready to voice opinions; this school is for the brave of heart and it requires hours of study as well as a passion for academics. A UC Berkeley student is many faces-they are unique individuals who have taken on the responsibility of acquiring a Berkeley degree. With this degree, graduates have the power to face the world and accomplish their dreams. UC Berkeley students should dream big and not be afraid to pursue those dreams.

A person willing to challenge them self should attend Berkeley. UC Berkley students need to be able to think, form opinions, and defend them. It is not a university in which time can be wasted; it offers many opportunities and access to influential professors and a flood of information in the campus's many libraries. There are so many groups advocating different activities and passions, anyone can fit in. UC Berkeley is a place of open minds too; a student at this campus needs to be tolerant and willing to listen and talk to people very different from them.

The ideal student is academically and professionally self-motivated. No one at Berkeley is going to push you; you have to be your own cheerleader and coach if you want to stay on top of your schoolwork and social life. Moreover, one has to be open-minded enough to accept criticism of their beliefs and thoughts, as well as respectfully question others. Much of the learning at this university comes from one another. Someone who loves to learn from a variety of approaches would fit in quite well on campus. Also, to be honest, one has to be savvy/mature.

At the young age of 18, students should not be expected to know what they want, or what career path they wish to pursue. With that said, Berkeley places high expectations on students to discover this path in two years, while maintaining strong, career-oriented, internships/jobs. The students who wish to attend Berkeley should not know what they want out of life yet, but should be ready and willing to study hard enough to figure it out in two years. Students should be dedicated to learning and excited to gain one of the best educations in the world.

You have to be independent and not afraid to ask for help. Academic, financial and career advising is hard to find if you don't seek it out yourself, but there are resources available for those who look for them. Conservatives definitely do not fit in at this school, and you have to be willing and able to stand up for your opinions and beliefs, as people oftentimes engage in lively debates. You have to be a hard worker, and if you want to feel as connected to the school as possible you should involve yourself in extracurricular activities.

A student who is extremely academically and mentally driven. Especially the first semester at Berkeley, it can be pretty hard to adjust to an atmosphere of intelligence. Everyone you run into is in some way extraordinary. But the important thing to remember is that you're also one of the people others run into and see as extraordinary. While sometimes it can be frighteningly easy to get down on yourself, it's important for every student who attends Berkeley to remember that it's really not a competition. The only competition is yourself.

It's hard to pinpoint a specific type of person who should attend Berkeley. So long as you're open-minded and can accept people of all backgrounds, interests, and affiliations, there really is no reason you wouldn't fit in here. Academically, you must be hardworking and able to handle pressure without anyone here to hold your hand. Independence and motivation are key characteristics to survive in this environment as Berkeley students pride themselves on their ability to do things for themselves, without the administration coddling us.

Someone who is not only intelligent and friendly, but also a citizen of the world, and has multi-faceted interests. The person should be very hard-working and diligent to attend this school because of the rigour of the education. There is also so much diversity and culture on campus; it is really a very vibrant and colorful place so one must be genuinely interested in this in order to benefit from it. Going to Berkeley really opens up one's horizons and prepares one academically and socially for the "real world".

Cal is not an easy school to get into or to go through. The most suitable type of person for UCBerkeley should be someone who is motivated and knows what they want. One should be strong academically, emotionally and even physically (Cal sits on a multitude of hills). Be well-rounded and prepared to do what it takes to succeed, and also be aware that there are other intelligent and highly competitive people in the student body. Work hard, do your best, and remember that it's not all about the studying.