University of California-Berkeley Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of California-Berkeley

Danny

UC Berkeley is like a bowl of granola and yogurt - it is a smart decision and it has a variety of components that elevate each other. The diverse undergraduate student body is full of idealism and is supported by the graduate students and faculty, full of knowledge and resources to support the undergrads and contribute to research. Personally, UC Berkeley provided me countless opportunities for learning and personal growth. During my time there I studied applied mathematics, as well as music, and had a work-study job in the Chemistry Department for two years. No matter the area I was always impressed by UC Berkeley’s commitment to students. Most importantly, the level of instruction was phenomenal. The faculty are clear masters in their fields and were inspiring, engaged, and excited to teach. In my classes I always felt like I was being presented with relevant and interesting information and I often had the freedom to personalize my academic focus. However, I did have a few professors who were more focused on their research than teaching, but I think that’s going to be a sad inevitability at any serious research university. Regardless, all of my professors were available outside the classroom and I fondly remember going to office hours and engaging one-on-one on the class material and beyond. While it is a large university, and classes can number into the hundreds, my upper-division classes frequently had less than fifteen people in them and everyone received as much individual support as they needed. Like a clump of crunchy oats in yogurt, I felt supported by the university as a whole, and never had any issues communicating with school staff regarding finances, health, academics, or anything else. Besides its fantastic academic side, UC Berkeley also boasts a vibrant student life outside of the classroom. True to its California roots, there are plenty of fruits and nuts to add to the breakfast bowl, honoring the free-spirited culture of Berkeley. There are numerous student clubs, student-taught classes (decals), concerts, intramural sports, and other events happening on campus. The Greek System and Student Cooperative System are extensive and offer unique ways to get connected and find housing. Besides everything happening on campus, UC Berkeley is located in the middle of the San Francisco Bay Area full of great food, nightlife, nature/hiking, cultural events, and so much more. The concentration of businesses makes internships easy to find (not just in tech!) and it also makes it possible to live and work in the area after college. After being a part of this top-tier university bowl, you’re fueled and ready for whatever the world sends your way. UC Berkeley gave me an excellent education and was the catalyst for extensive positive personal growth. I cannot recommend it enough!

Fernaz

One of the premier universities in the country, The University of California, Berkeley, lives up to its fame. While some aspects, such as the on campus food and housing may be lacking, the school is overall an amazing and one of a kind institution. It is a world class research university and gives students the tools they need to succeed.

Maliha

Berkeley is full of diverse intellectuals who have all kinds of talents and a wide range of different backgrounds. You meet people from all over the world who all share a similar thirst for knowledge. The culture of academics is extremely intense and so it gets rather stressful from time to time but the students here enjoy it. They have a knack for learning things and an undiluted interest in what they're studying. The social life at Berkeley is surprising given the priority placed on academics. It's really easy to make friends here. Everyone is outgoing and willing to meet new people. The party life is also very alive and on full blast almost every weekend. It's all very work hard, play hard. The area around Berkeley is the definition of urban and full of cute little restaurants and shops. There's a college town that has almost everything a college student could ask for: multiple boba shops, pizza shops, restaurants, and the crown jewel of them all - a Taco Bell. Freshman 15 doesn't come from the dining hall food, it comes from all these food places around campus. Speaking of dining hall food, the food at Berkeley is undeniably not the best. It's plain and sometimes kind of strange but edible most of the time. The dorms at Berkeley vary. Some are extremely nice with many amenities while others, not so much. Housing is just a thing of luck here. Off-campus housing is much better but a lot harder to find because its so in demand. The area around Berkeley is not the safest. The homeless population here is rather large and one area in particular, People's Park, is usually avoided by most students. This park is near the dorms and one of the dining halls so it is recommended that people do not go out alone at night. Other than that, Berkeley is safe for the most part. I've completed one semester at Berkeley so far and I have to say I've loved every second of it. It was hard moving to a new city so far from home (LA) by myself and adjusting took some time but I found some amazing friends who have made my college experience a dream. I feel like I've already been shaped into a new person thanks to Berkeley and I would recommend it to any incoming freshman or transfer. Go Bears!

Sakara

The University of California at Berkeley is not what it is set out to be. Yes, there are fantastic opportunities given the fact that it is a prestigious research university. Yet, what they don't tell you is that while the opportunities are there it can be extremely difficult to obtain. The class sizes are large but that's expected at a public university. You think the professors would account for the fact that they have 1500 students in one class but often it is difficult to get a response when contacting them. Aside from the academics, the students are said to be open-minded liberal activists, while this can be true when some large event takes place the students are mostly complacent in the political scene. UC Berkeley is a good school and I would recommend attending it as long as you have a realistic outlook on how the school actually functions.

Lia

I think this school is great for people who enjoy rigorous and competitive academics, but if you do not enjoy the rigor so much this would not be the place for you. The environment​ can be toxic at times, but if you find the people you connect with you can feel at home, I know I do.

Keara

I think that Berkeley gives students a lot of opportunities and offers them to make a lot of connections to be successful. They have a lot of resources and have made a lot of progress in research, I think the school can be challenging but it pushes students to go a head and find success. They have opportunities for each major and they allow you to grow in the field of your choice.

Oscar

It is a university that I have always strived to get accepted into because of its amazing programs locations and campus life. Ever since I knew about this school I have always been interested with going to this school. Although I know that it is a very competitive school, I have always kept up with the requirements the best that I can.

Hailey

University of California, Berkeley, is an amazing institution filled with rich traditions and school pride. The sports scene is filled with energy and plenty of students attend sporting events and rallies. Berkeley is also a very political campus and is known for being the birthplace of the Free Speech Movement. Berkeley has always been a place of free expression and openness. This campus has a large, big-campus feel which can be intimidating at first, but all the students and faculty are friendly and have the students' best interests at heart. The classes are challenging but collaborating and teaming up to study is encouraged and many resources are available to students. University of California, Berkeley, is truly filled with the greatest minds of the country as well as the world and it is an amazing experience to attend.

I originally was not planning on attending UC Berkeley. It was the last school I was admitted to and when I came to visit, I thought the environment was overwhelming. Since my time here, I've grown to love the campus. There are so many academic opportunities for students and plenty of opportunities to meet people. I've found a great community and I'm excited to continue my studies here. Full disclosure, the academics are challenging so be prepared to work a little harder than the average college students. The professors are experts though and I know I'm learning from the best.

Brandon

University of California-Berkeley is a great school to attend, especially for the students that would like to major in engineering. As a visitor of the campus, I have experienced a great admiration for the community, because people at Berkeley are helpful, and can make my learning goals easier.

DIEGO

In terms of academics and campus facilities, UC Berkeley does very well. However, it needs to work on student diversity, atmosphere, and support. The competitive atmosphere makes it difficult for those without additional resources to succeed on campus.

Maria

Overall, the community atmosphere is present that makes me feel part of the school and it’s useful facilities. For example, their library is amazing with billions of books and many areas to form study groups. Though there is something I did not really like that was that the distances from different colleges is fairly long as it takes approximately 10 minutes to walk from the the library to cafeteria. I enjoyed it anyway. So you might end up liking it too!

Estefania

UC Berkeley is a great school and I am a proud golden bear! I wake up everyday ready for class because I know that my professors are ready to teach. The staff here are very friendly and most of them will greet you if you pass them. Our campus is very inclusive, which makes my experience here at Berkeley easier. Students here are not afraid to standout! The best thing about UC Berkeley is that everyone including students, faculty and community members are allowed to express their freedom of speech. Protest here remind me about the unalienable rights that were given to us many years ago. I chose the University of California, Berkeley because of its political environment, but students do not have to be involved in politics to enjoy their experience! Academics here are very challenging, but there are lots of resources for students struggling with their classes, such as tutoring. Counselors here are also very helpful and reachable, as they provide different methods of communication. My favorite part of campus is the memorial glade, where students can take a break from the stress by taking a nap on the green grass or by cloud watching. I would have to agree that the City of Berkeley is very connected to the campus because telegraph Avenue and the Boba form a great culture and daily life style for students. Overall, the University of California Berkeley has given me more than what I have asked for and I am excited for the upcoming years.

Aidan

I think this school is awesome. It may not be perfect but its a good school overall. I went there in 5th grade and I even got to meet jared Goff. He's a pretty nice guy and he's really tall.The campus is really big and it's fun to walk around. Also theres tis huge bell tower and when you're at the top of it you can see the whole university. The buildings look amazing and the envinroment around it is saf.