University of California-Davis

« See more reviews of University of California-Davis

UC Davis is predominantly white and Asian, though minority groups are growing and active and vocal on campus. There are numerous ethnic and religious minority clubs and organizations on campus, and the university sponsors events such as Black Family Week to increase awareness and tolerance of minority groups. There is also a LGBTQ center on campus. I don't think anyone would feel out of place at UC Davis. The campus and community are so welcoming and friendly, it's hard to feel like you don't belong. During the warm fall and spring seasons, shorts and sandals are common. In the colder winter months, jeans and sweatshirts/jackets with gloves are the norm, but it's not uncommon to see one or two hardcore guys still rockin' the shorts and sandals. There are no easily definable cliques at UC Davis. The easiest way of distinguishing one from another is by major, but many students have double majors, or minors, that make it difficult to do even this. Students have varied extracurricular activities as well: an engineering student may volunteer with the Aggie Recruitment Team and also be a member of the tennis team. Most UC Davis students are from California, and most of those are from Northern California: Sacramento, the San Francisco Bay area, and San Jose. But UC Davis includes students from all 50 U.S. states and more than 100 countries. 68% of UC Davis students receive some form of financial aid, and Davis itself ranks right in the middle of all UC campuses in terms of cost of housing. Students are politically aware and active--the Davis College Democrats and Davis College Republicans are both active clubs, and engage in organized debates with each other--but the reputation of being a "hippie" campus is misguided. Money is generally not the focus of UC Davis students.

It's tough to describe one specific student here at UC Davis because our community is so diverse. One example of this happened to me at the dining hall. I walked through the double doors, swiped my ID card and proceeded in to find some friends to sit with and eat. As I looked around I saw a sight that surprised me. At 4 tables, all next to each other in a long tine, were 4 of the most different groups have ever seen. At one end of the table were 4 basketball players (the shortest of whom was at least 6'6") yelling at each other about the Monday Night Football game that happened the night before. Right next to them were a group of Engineers who had their laptops open with books thrown about the table as they attempted to cram for an exam. At the third table were members of the UC Davis Aggie Band-Uh! (our student marching band) with instruments under the table. They kept using large arm motions and were yelling profusely at east other about some party the weekend before. Finally, at the last table were 3 fraternity members and 4 or 5 sorority girls in their letters. This one scenario sums up the UC Davis community: eclectic

There are many diverse students here at UCD. I have seen the LGBT community here and they are so united and are also supported by the other students here as well. There are no student who would left out here at UC Davis because there are so many people here that you are bound to meet the kind of people that you can relate to. Students wear many things to class, some like to be fashionable, some just roll out of bed and show up to class, and others just wear what reaches the hands first before class. You have enough opportunities to meet all kinds of people and interact with them. The dorms are a perfect place to meet people with different interests or different types of people. Students here are for all over the country and also outside of the country as well. As for their financial back, there isn't much difference in that and also even if there was, it wouldn't matter.The students here are very political and active. They are well informed about the news going on around the world. Yes, some of the students, maybe not all of the students,but most have talked about it or at least have thought about it.

I have seem some demonstrations on campus but since I live a few miles away from campus and I am usually between classes, or on my way home I typically do not involve myself in such movements. I believe older undergraduate students under the typical age range, 18-24, and transfer students feel the most out of place since they have not been integrated into the school system since the beginning and the school seems to prefer a stratified strategy of reinforcing these differences. Many of the students on campus claim to be liberal and I tend to believe them since I have read neoliberal trends and have been able to observe trends in their the typical behavior of these students in comparison to my readings. There are moderates and conservatives at this school but they are not as outspoken and tend to keep to their organizations.

Most students are middle class, and value education. At Davis you have different classes of people. You have the athletes who are never the best students, but are always ready to have a good time. They party a lot on weekends. At school, the athletes are always wearing sweats and representing their sport. Another group at Davis is the nerds. They are always studying and throwing off the curve in hard classes. A lot of these people don't really get out much, and really spend all of their time focusing on school. Another group is the fun crowd. They are skipping out on classes to go to sporting events and hosting the big parties on the weekends. Sorority sisters and fraternity brothers fall into this group. These people are friends with everyone and they are always getting involved with things on campus.

Our campus is very diverse. Even though, Asian and white are the majority there is a good representation of all races. My freshmen year at UC Davis, I lived in a dorm and I have never been in a place so diverse in my whole life. I lived with students from Romania, Egypt and the Middle East. Being on this campus has opened my eyes to see that there are many different kinds of people in this world, way more than what I had been use to in my hometown. The students here are also very approachable and friendly. It is common to have interracial friendships because, in general, we are all tolerant of people different from us. Going to college should be more than for academic growth. We should also be in a situation where we can learn more about others in order to grow as individuals.

UC Davis has so many students of many different backgrounds that it is impossible not feel welcomed. Many of the students do congregate with their own racial profile, but they do talk and interact with others. There is a large Asian population on campus - many students from Japan and South Korea come here to study. I have seen students from different soci-economic backgrounds. I met with a single mom from East LA who was loving the peaceful atmosphere of the campus and city. The students wear what they want. Although I think that the sagging pants are stupid, many of the students wear them. During the spring quarter, the clothes come off and little is worn. It does get hot in Davis during the spring and summer. It can get up to 105 F.

Davis is a pretty diverse school so I feel close to all races, religions, and different groups. I don't think any student would feel out of place at this school. Most students wear comfortable, warm clothing to class. All different types of students interact on a daily basis. Four different tables of students in the dining hall would include one with all freshman, one with all transfers, one with all girls or boys, and one with a mix of people. Most of the students are from southern california. A lot of people are financially stable or have finanical aid. Not many students are politically aware or active and they are predominantly center. Some students I've talked to discuss how much they would like to earn in the future.

Sooooooo I sorta touched on this before but there are lots of different people at Davis. Also, not all of us come from the same socio-economic backgrounds. There is a place for everyone, not to worry. And you shouldn't feel left out or alone in Davis. There are lots of churches, and an LGBT facility that is Student-run, and holds lots of awareness and educational events. Most UC Davis students hail from Northern California--either the Bay area, the valley or places like Santa Cruz and up the coast line. Most of the students I know are prominentle left, and there are organizations on campus called Davis Democrats and Davis Republicans that are very politically active and aware.

Lots of nerds who sit in front of their computers all day and are kinda deadbeat. But find the right group of friends- I would suggest plugging in with a group of people that likes to do stuff-- my personal reccomendation would be Campus Crusade for Christ. I have never seen a group of people who cared about each other and others so much, while at the same time had been so stoked to go on adventures and they're always down for ski trips, bbqs, and fun! Pretty much everyone is from the bay area, but there are lots of students from countries in asia. my roomate was from the phillipenes and it was really cool learning all about her life.