University of California-Davis

« See more reviews of University of California-Davis

This is the best time to attend UC Davis. For a long time Davis has been well-renowned for its superb academic programs across the disciplines, but was hidden behind its better-known sisters Berkeley and UCLA. But over the past few years--thanks a lot to big sports wins over Stanford, but also to continued advances in scientific and medical research, increased public and private funding, and high rankings in US News and World Report (42, national) and Washington Monthly (8, national)--UC Davis has been garnering more national attention. It won't be long before people actually know what you're talking about when you say you go to UC Davis. You can get in on the metaphorical ground floor and help build the campus and its image for the future, and be a part of one of the best institutions in the world (yes, we're that good). UC Davis is not a "farm school," Davis is not a "cow town," and there are plenty of things to do here. The Davis Police Department has a reputation for racial profiling, though I have never witnessed this personally, nor do I know anyone who has (I'm white). It has received some coverage in the campus newspaper, and students organized a march from campus to the police station to protest the alleged profiling. In my time here I have never had a run-in with the police, nor do I know anyone who has. Make of this what you want.

UC Davis has more than 100 majors to choose from. The campus boasts of its innovations towards environmental sustainability, diverse student population, and available research and internship opportunities. Its convenient location close to Sacramento allows very hands-on opportunities for civic engagement with the local politics. UC Davis has a college dedicated to agriculture and environmental science, making it known for environmental research and having a large acreage of land and a whole department for food science and vineculture. It's known as one of the best college towns and one of the top bicycle-friendly cities in the nation.

UC Davis is always evolving. Students run many of the businesses on campus and between that and the student government they are able to keep the campus changing with the needs of the students. Many of the students are active in government because they realize that they can help be a part of the process and that this can lead to politics as a career. Students know that they can affect change in our world. Sitting by not doing anything isn't the life at UC Davis. Life is meant to be challenged and meant to be lived. The students at UC Davis are active and getting ready to take the world head on.

Davis is a very great school to attend. It has a excellent reputation, is not too crowded, ethnically diverse, and is very environmentally responsible. Most students ride their bikes around campus and the public transportation runs on natural gas or electricity, making it very easy of a student to be environmentally responsible. Also, we just became a division 1 school which has sparked more school spirit than the years before. Davis has a large campus and is home to many different animals due to the vet school. Being close to Sacramento it is relatively easy to get an internship.

UC Davis is located in a small college town as opposed to most of the other UCs and CSUs, which makes the transition into independence a little easier since the community is tight-knit, and mostly everything is within biking distance. This school is also a research institution so the professors double as active scientists, giving the oppotunity for students to participate in ground-breaking science through internships and so on. And because UCD is a renowned agricultural and veterinarian school, there are animals and lots of natured on campus!

UC Davis is one of the largest UC campuses which can be daunting when considering how to get to each of your classes in a timely fashion. A very unique aspect of Davis, however, is its embrace of a bike-friendly atmosphere. In fact, there are more bikes than students on campus at any given time. This environment creates a very active, healthy feeling for its students. And the bikes are only one aspect of Davis' goal to be healthier, greener, and more sustainable. UCD has many ways of cutting back on waste and giving back to the environment.

Really, it came down to the faculity I would be exposed to. I am primarily interested in conservation of fish and one of the leaders in California teaches at the University of California Davis. I spoke with Dr. Peter Moyle before applying to schools and he was very genuine and continues to be even after I have started attending the school. I have since taken his class and started working for him and do not regret my decision to become a part of the UC Davis campus. I was concerned with the size of the porgram aswell. Small is good.

We take environmental awareness to another level, sporting many entirely green facilities including our new Aggie Stadium. We have a very distinguished internship and career center that places the majority of undergraduates in jobs and interships in fields that they are interested in (even undergraduate research positions). Many of the students on campus take advantage of study abroad programs or travel on their own. We are located in one of the last college townes in the nation, which fosters a positive environment for students.

How I chose the school I did was by visiting them. I immediately felt at home at UC Davis. If you look lost, people will stop and ask you if you need help. It is a beautiful campus and extremely environmentally active. It is a small community and you feel as if you really are part of the community here. I also love that it has seasons in Davis. It is cold during the winter and hot during the summer. Most people say they discover allergies they never had when they come here, but mine actually went away.

Although Davis is considered a small city, many see it as a town. There is no need for a car, for, you can get anywhere with a bike. This benefits both students and the atmosphere! Perhaps because of this, UC Davis lives up to its reputaion of being one of the best college for agricultural research. In addition, UC Davis offers numerous research opportunities to students of all grade levels. There is no need to wait until sophmore year because internships accept students as young as freshmen!