University of California-Davis

« See more reviews of University of California-Davis

Aggie Pack is the largest student spirit organization in the country. CALPIRG is also a popular and highly visible group, recruiting signatures and pledges, and working on behalf of students to lower fees and create other student-friendly legislation. I am a member of the Aggie Recruitment Team, a volunteer outreach group that speaks to prospective UC Davis students about student life. We hold question and answer panels to answer student questions directly, and give them some realistic insight into UC Davis life. Dorm doors are always left open, and people are always welcome. Football is the most popular sport at Davis; the team had a streak of 37 consecutive winning seasons end this year, and attracts a loyal following. All sports programs moved up to Division I as of 2007-08, so they are likely to increase in popularity in the near future, as they are admittedly not a huge draw currently. There are always a handful of events going on, some more popular than others. BB King recently played a sold out show at the Mondavi Center on campus, and Bill Clinton attracted a capacity crowd of over 7,000 to the Pavilion on campus (over 3,000 people had to be turned away). There are lots of quaint restaurants and coffee shops downtown to take a date, and the arboretum on campus provides lots of beautiful scenery to take a date on a walk. I met my closest friends through various classes and events related to my major. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I'm listening to my friends' show on the campus radio station, and probably writing a paper. Picnic Day, held in April, is the largest student-run event in the country: it is the open house for UC Davis, which attracts 50,000 to 60,000 visitors. Parades, demonstrations, a fashion show, dachsund races and various other events happen all over campus all day long, and all students and the entire town are invited. Thousands of alumni return to Davis to take part. It is also a heavy drinking day for students, who begin early in the morning and continue into the night, but overall Picnic Day is a very family friendly event. Whole Earth Festival is the second biggest event at UC Davis, an entire weekend in which the university embraces its "hippie" image and promotes environmental awareness and sustainability. The entire Mother's Day weekend involves music and dancing on the quad, which is also lined with arts and crafts booths, and local food. Hackey-sack, hula hoops, tie-dye clothes, shirtless guys and other stereotypically hippie things abound at Whole Earth Festival. In keeping with the "hippie" vibe of Whole Earth Festival, many parties (including one legendary housing location on campus) are havens for drugs. The police seem to look the other way this one day of the year, so if you like smoking marijuana and dancing naked on the roof, feel free. You can find a party pretty much every weekend, and during the week, though not everyone parties this often. Fraternities and sororities are active, but do not exert an overwhelming presence on campus (it's not Animal House). Last Friday I went to a concert/party at my friend's house which was sponsored by the campus radio station. On Saturday I went to a women's/men's doubleheader basketball game. Movies, coffeeshops, music shows at local venues, poetry slams, bonfires, athletic events, and many, many other things are constantly available for entertainment on the weekends. And it is possible to attend the traditional party and not drink--there is little pressure to conform and drink or do any kind of drugs.

You can refer to my multitudes of comments about party life, but there are plenty of other trhings to do if you aren't into that sort of thing. The Mondavi Center on campus hosts many symphonic, choir, and more modern musical performances each weekend and specially occasional, weekdays. BILL CLINTON came to our Pavillion to talk to us about Hillary. Basically, everyone just wanted to see Bill! haha.. There was also a concert with Switchfoot and Relient K during Spring. There are also lots of concerts held at Freeborn hall. Just this April, Death Cab for Cutie came, and in the Fall JimmyEatWorld performed! <3 You meet your closest friends from the dorms you live in your freshman year. Floor on floor relationships are popular because you see these people most often and get to know them with floor bonding events and hall outings to the bowling alley or whatever you plan for youselves! Those people are also your party buddies. You will flock to Frat row with about 15 people, hoping to get in to the party that your friend just texted you about! haha The partying happens whenever you want it to happen. You learn how to balance school and play, and work around when papers are due and party BIG after midterms or huge research papers. Usually Thursday nights, according to traditions. and the partying could ontinue to monday night! hahaha. Davis is not a school you come to specifically to be greek (unless it's a family thing).. Their are lots of fun/interesting/intellectually stimulating people who are greek. I myseld am not greek but if that's what you are looking for, I wish you luck and hope you find what you want! I have a lot of greek friends and have been to enough fraternity parties to know that they are not all the stereotypical assholes or nerds or sluts we all have heard about. You will find out what you need to and make the important decision on your own :) If you aren't looking to drink on a Saturday night, (which you will often result to if nothing else is going on) you can see a movie, go bowling on campus, take a bike ride to the arboretum (miniforest on/off campus) with a loved one ;) Take a trip to SF to go "clubbin" or shopping. Or Sacramento for the same!

Aggie Pack is the largest student organization. There are a lot of clubs that everyone can take part in and fin interesting. I am in photography club where we meet once a week and share our common interest in photography. Sometimes we bring photos we have taken or like and share them. It is a great way to meet people and also find out news things about the subject you are interested in. I found out new things about cameras which I wasn't very familiar with at the beginning and was able to learn so many more things. Living in the dorms is a must! It is such a great experience and it is so fun and lively. You will really become close to the people you live with on the floor and people do leave their doors open for the most part. We have inter mural sports where we play against other floors all around campus. It is a great way to get to know the people on the floor more, We play together and it is really fun and exciting. If we are awake at 2am on a Tuesday, we are talking and trying to help each other finish what ever it is we are trying to finish or study. The 2am talks are the best talks ever. The mot random-est or deepest conversations roll out around 2am and it makes staying up that late so much more worth it. People do party, but as I said, people are conscious of their grades so they make sure to finish their work before the party. Fraternities and Sororities are important to those who want them to be a part of their lives. I actually studies all last weekend because finals are around the corner. Saturday nights without drinking is no problem. Roaming downtown Davis is one of my favorite things to do. Just getting on your bike and biking around the place is very nice and relaxing. Off campus, just an hour away is Six Flags, so that is always fun to do!

With approximately 1,270 members, the Student Alumni Association is one of the largest student organizations on campus. I am especially passionate about this organization because I am one of the thirteen board directors that are in charge of it. The organization holds several networking event so students have the ability to interact with alumni in the field of focus. I actually met my closest friends through this organization, as I know many others have as well. Athletic events are very popular on campus. Because of the amount of pride that is present on campus, every home football game is packed with students in what we call our Aggie Pack. This group, which are all given matching shirts for free just by being a student, sit together at almost all sporting events and cheer for the Aggies. Traditions are abundant around campus. In fact, the school gives incoming students a Traditions Book where they can find all of the Aggie Traditions. When students complete traditions, they encouraged to post a picture to the school Facebook page.

Many students join a fraternity or sorority that has the same interests they do. We have some that represent the pre med student, the Jewish students, the Latino/Latina, blacks, and even one for the more mature students. The university paper has events that are happening during the week as well as there are other places to find out the local events. One of our biggest events is Picnic Day. This happens each April, usually the 2nd or 3rd Saturday. There are many booths for food, an art show where you can purchase student art, milking contests, horse shows, and many science exhibits. There is a parade in the morning with floats from all the frats/sororities as well. The bank plays throughout the morning all over campus. We have many sports teams and this past school year was our first as a Division 1 school. We have many guest speakers on many different topics. We have had some give their view point on the Muslim situation in many other countries, genocide, and many other hot topics.

Frats seem to be popular, but there's a good deal of students that are very anti-frat (as am I). People that are in frats/sor think that it's the most important thing in the world, and they're happy with their lifestyle. Others on campus could care less and their lifestyle works too. I think they can keep separated if they want to. I've been involved in community service groups, and there are several types to choose from. The dorm rooms are normally left open I think because we are all aware that we want to make new friendships. I met my closest friends in the dorms. We would stay up all night watching movies, singing, dancing, playing video games, talking about theories on life, etc. People party all the time, but it's easy to get away from it if you don't want to go. Saturday nights without drinking can involve dancing, board games, playing sports at the ARC (awesome facility), bowling, arcades, etc.

I think Aggie Pack is the biggest organization on campus. Banduh and greek life are also pretty big. Davis has so many clubs and organizations that I believe anyone could find something suitable for them if they took the effort to checked it out. I currently in the Na Keiki O Hawaii Club, but honestly, I haven't been too involved. I'm still a freshman getting used to college. I spend most of my time with my floor. We're basically one big happy family now. We all keep our doors open and bother each other. We also hang out together in the lounge a lot. I really love dorm life and am blessed to have such an amazing and social floor. This is not always the case though. I know the floor above us is really quiet and don't really interact with each other. Instead, they hang out with other friends they probably from clubs, sororities/fraternities or classes.

There are many activities at Davis. Many of the students like to go eat together and work-out together. The biggest event at our school has to be Picnic Day. It is a day where many students bring their family and friends to enjoy a wonderful time together. The whole school is filled with activities such as magic shows and provide organizations an opportunity to fund raise by selling foods or plants. I am also involved in many of these organizations. One of many clubs I am involves with is Operation Smile at UCD. My organization’s goal is to educate our communities about clefts and raise money to help children get free surgeries. I also took part in other organizations such as to raise cancer awareness for women. Also, I am in a community service fraternity where we help our school, community, and country.

The most popular groups are frats and sororities and also the football team. I am not involved in a group yet. A lot of students in the dorms leave their doors open and go in and out a lot. Athletic events are really popular here at davis and students are encouraged to go to all events. My closest friends are people in my classes and my suitemates that I live with. If I'm awake at 2 am on a Tuesday, I'm usually studying or doing homework. People party every weekend and it's a typical thing that happens. Fraternities and sororities are pretty big here. Last weekend, I went home to southern california for thanksgiving break and spent time with my family. On a saturday night, I could watch movies or go out to dinner with a few of my friends. Off campus, i hang out with friends and go to parties.

I have been on the Steel Bridge team for two years now. It is a group of students who get a problem from the American Society of Steel Construction (AISC) and they must fabricate and design a bridge completely out of steel to solve it. The bridges are about 20 feet long, 3 feet wide and weigh about 150 pounds. So this is a large task. The bridge must also hold 2600 pounds of load. The teams get judged on how the bridge looks, how fast is can be assembled, weight, deflection, and overall efficiency. It was one of the best experiences of my life. You get to work with people your own age to solve a hands on project. Also there is a competition held with other schools and then you get to look at how other schools solved the same problem a completely different way.