University of California-Davis

« See more reviews of University of California-Davis

The worst thing about UC Davis is the constantly increasing financial pressure. The Regents of California (who dispense money to the UCs) have drastically cut funding to the campus. Already in the year of 2009, the Regents have also raised tuition an amazing 33%. The stress that this hike puts on the students is immense. Many, including myself, already struggle to pay fees. This new demand intensifies the fear that more fee hikes will come, and that the college will eventually be too expensive to attend. The dreams of many anxious students are on the line.

Davis is a great place for students to really focus on their academics, meet new people, and be calm and peaceful underneath the many trees, on top of the luscious green grass. However, the worst part about it must be that it is in the middle of nowhere, with virtually no shopping centers, clubs, or places where typical youngsters would like to go. The closest REAL restaurants and stores/malls are about a 20 minute drive away, and it tends to make Davis students rather bored. However, Davis is starting to get more stores and is trying to get better! :)

UC Davis does not provide enough housing for all of its undergraduate students. In fact, only first-year and transfer students are guaranteed on-campus housing, which, from experience, makes freshman year rather stressful with the hovering responsibility of having to find a place to live before the upcoming fall. One benefit of this situation, however, is the responsibility and independence that one gains in having to search for their own place to live. And there are plentiful resources on-campus to help guide and inform students during this process.

Since i have just transfered from a small schoolto a big enviroment, everything is totally different and very difficult to me. It's hard to make friend in here because everyone in here tends to know each other since 1st year. No one really cares about talks to new transfer student much, so it's hard fro me to get to learn about my school. It's really hard to contact to peer advisor. When I need help, falcuty keep guiding me from this building to another building on the campus which i haven't known around yet!

The classes for Design are so impacted....i won't be able to graduate on time....ill be there another quarter or two, and I've already spent the last two summers catching up on classes i need. I don't want to spend any more money. I already work 25 hours a week plus classes, I'd rather focus on school than whether or not I will be able to pay rent. If the classes werent so impacted I wouldnt have had to pay extra to take summer classes and thus wouldnt be as worried about my finances.

I honestly feel that if I there isn't anything that was horrible enough for me to talk about UC Davis. I truly enjoyed my entire here. And I had a very varied experience, a Division 1 athlete and captain, student, internship with sports marketing and part time job (the internship wasn't paid). It anything, the worst thing about Davis is that it doesn't get the full recognition it deserves. Only in select areas (engineering, veterinary medicine and viniculture)

Due to large class sizes, my school can seem very unorganized at times. My classes have anywhere from 150-500 students, so having all professors (there is usually more than one per class) and Teacher's Assistants all on the same page can be difficult. As a result, students are often confused about their required tasks/what is expected of them on assignments/midterms, and often do poorly because of this.

The size of the campus can be overwhelming. There are a lot of buildings and a lot of students around, especially when classes get out. However, people are always willing to help you find where you need to go. As long as you have some experience riding a bike, you can get around campus easily. Buses come frequently to take you around downtown Davis, or to residential areas that surround the campus.

The worst thing about UC Davis is the lack of ethnic diversity here. On campus, I see a large majority of white and asian students, and some hispanic students. However, it is a rarity to see an African American or Native American student. We have great programs here for cross cultural education, but the actual diversity of students does not really have the need for so many programs to be of use.

The worst thing about UC Davis, has nothing to do with its academics--rather where it is located. There is a dramatic change in temperature with the change of season in Davis. Summers are unbearably hot, while winters are rainy and cold. However, school is not about weather it is about academics. And UC Davis is the place to go if you're interested in learning and becoming successful.