University of California-Davis

« See more reviews of University of California-Davis

UC Davis is HUGE. You get used to it, though! After you have ridden your bike just about everywhere, things start to seem closer together so it makes it more confortable. When I tell people I do to UC Davis, they say congradulations because they know it is intense (or so they've heard) and that many people have done and continue to do great things at the University. I also get a lot of "Oh so you're not too far from home, right?" PSH! I am the PERFECT distance away. Not too close, not too far. Who cares if it's more widely known for it's medical achievements, there are plentyyyy of other things to study :) On campus, I spend most of my time at the CoHo which is short for Coffee House. Besides the fact that they have food, it's fun running into people you've met the weekend before ;) haha.. Another food/study place is the Silo. Named for it's figure, there are plenty of places to get food, and lots of room for studying or chatting in between classes or meeting up with friends to get a Crepe! Most recently, someone was though to have a bomb on campus! I think they exaggerated things but my friends from that dorm area had to sleep in the recreation hall ALL night. Some had papers due the next day and they were allowed extensions because of the tragedy or being locked out of the dorms. School pride! Are you kidding? I only know ONE person who doesn't like it there and that's only because his girlfriend goes to SB and he wants to be with her. I think he's coming around, though. We have Aggie Fridays where students only wear AggiePack shirts (Given free! at the first football game you attend) to show school spirit! Also, the AggiePack is the largest student-run student cheering section in the WORLD! (JK I don't really know) But they give out free food at games, throw beads into the crowd, and even candybars and coupons for local food venues! I have no opinion of the administration, just that they want all the feedback they can get, and send out a campus-wide survey. I should learn more about that. I'm glad they accepted me, though! <3 I will always remember my first roommate and how I hated her so. Luckily! She moved out before Winter Quarter ended, and Spring was awesome with a new roommate of a less-uptight mindset. You become really close with hall-mates. We all used to just go over to the neighbors' whenever, and walk right in. (We had suite-configurations) and no one minded because the visitors mattered to them. Also, bonds are extremely tight when you stay up ALL NIGHT writing a paper with someone! You soon begin to try and take classes together, go to parties together, etc. It's awesome. PS: Obviously, I love people :) Some student complaints are that the freshmen have the latest "pass time" in which they choose their classes. If you go to summer orientation, this willbe solved. All you have to remember to do is WAKE UP EARLY! AND TAKE ALL PLACEMENT EXAMS! lol. I missed my pass time and registered later than everyone else. Another complaint is about the food. I DON'T EVEN UNDERSTAND THIS ONE!?!?!? I LOVE THE FOOD! We have one of the best dining hall facilities in California. It's just that people complain about the monotony of it all. DON'T WORRY! There are PLENTYYYYYYYY of awesome local restaurants AND chains like In N Out! <3333 Lot's of late night trips there :) I want everyone I know to come to Davis and have as much fun and I am having.

I have to say, the best thing about UC Davis is that you have the great opportunity to meet all kinds of different people. When I say different, I mean different in many ways, Davis is very diverse in terms of ethnicity and also different in terms of interest. It just so happens that Davis has a good academic standing in all sorts of majors, so many people come into Davis with different majors and for many other reasons. The size of the school is just like any other UC and personally, I sometimes like it and sometimes I don't. The reason I like it is because it truly feels like a college campus with so many people around and it makes everything much more livelier and exciting. The times I am not so excited about having such a large student body is when we are in a lecture hall trying to take a test and the person sitting next to me and I are fighting for space and mainly the arm rest. I am a freshmen, so I stay at the dorms and I do spend most of my time in the dorms, in my room, and at near by fast food places. Davis is a college town, but the benefits to that is, everyone here is so considerate of your educational needs and timings. Non-student residents of Davis are the sweetest people. Often at stores or restaurants, they will inquire me on how my midterms and tests are going and how I like it here at Davis. They like to keep up with the sports here at Davis and they will talk to you about everything that goes on in campus, so you are always learning something new about your campus. The schools administration is very helpful and very resourceful. They will attend to your needs and make sure that you are taken care of and are well on your way. A recent controversy at took place at Davis, was Occupy riot. I am sure it is on the news and is well known. However, none of the protests were of hindrance to the learning environment at Davis. The teachers didn't avoid questions or references to it and tried to sympathize with the students on the unfortunate event. They made sure to clear the air on how they felt about the event and also requested that this event be left outside the classroom so that the classroom can be a good learning environment. The students here are packed with school pride. Football games and other sports games are thrilling to go to because of the student that cheer there. We have an amazing Aggie Pack which is our student cheer group. There is nothing too unusual about Davis other than the weather. The sun beams through even in the winter sometimes and it is quite refreshing. One of the experiences I will always remember is the trip I made to the UC Davis Waste Water Treatment Plant for my freshmen seminar. A friend from class and I had planned to get there together on our bikes, but we got lost over and over again and were lost for about an hour. Then a really nice man on a cart drove by and said that he is willing to take us there because he feels like doing a good deed. It was the funniest thing ever. From keeping up with the cart on our bikes to asking people for directions and getting lost again, it was such a memorable event. Some of the things the student complain about the most around here is the smell of the cows near us. I live in Tercero and there are cows near us and personally I don't mind it that much and it doesn't really affect us that much, but that is something the student here complain about.

The best thing about UC Davis is the friendly and welcoming atmosphere. You are never alone when you're in Davis. I would make the winters less cold; if you're from a Mediterranean climate like Los Angeles, Davis winters may be a shock for you. The school is large, both in size and population: 5,500 acres and 30,000 students. These both work to its advantage. The campus has lots of trees and open spaces, and the large student body gives it an active, vibrant feel. People usually ask "Where is that?" when I tell them I go to UC Davis, which gives it a "best kept secret" reputation. During the warm falls and springs, the best place to spend tie is on the quad, which is the center of campus. It is surrounded by all the main class buildings, and near the student union known as Memorial Union, so it gets a lot of foot and bike traffic which makes it great for running into your friends. It is also very conducive to Frisbee throwing. With half the population enrolled at the university, Davis is definitely a college town. Local businesses and the city cater to students with student discounts, student-focused events, and even flexible employment hours. Davis faculty are very responsive to student needs; professors are universally open for whatever help a student needs, and roughly half of students are involved in research with their professors. The administration is not as in-tune with the student body or the faculty--a common "You know you're a UC Davis student if..." ends by saying "the first time you saw the chancellor was at your graduation." The chancellor holds quarterly "brown bag chats" that are open to anyone to attend, but most students ignore them. They do their best to be attentive to safety concerns, however. Currently the university contracts its food-service needs out to a private company, despite calls from employees, faculty and students to make these food-service workers official university employees, which would give them higher wages and benefits. UC Davis is the only UC to contract its food service out to a private company, and considers honoring its contract with the food service company a higher priority than making those food-service workers university employees. Despite all this, there is a lot of pride in UC Davis. We have a sense of being a well kept secret, because of our highly ranked programs across the disciplines and our relatively low national profile. The Aggie Pack is the largest student spirit organization in the country, and schools from San Jose State to Notre Dame have come to UC Davis for advice on how to organize their student spirit sections at football and basketball games. The city of Davis is known as the bicycle capital of the world, and UC Davis is very conducive to bikes, with it's many bike paths and bike racks throughout campus. Some city streets even have bicycle only traffic signals. I will always remember when UC Davis beat Stanford in football in the biggest upset in our athletic program's history, only to top it three months later by beating Stanford in basketball. Most complaints are centered around the idea that "there's nothing to do." The Davis Police Department also has a reputation for shutting down parties, though I've never experienced this.

SIZE As far as acres go, UC Davis is the largest UC in the system. Enrollment wise they rank 3rd largest among the UC's. There are around 31,000 undergraduates and graduates that attend the university. A lot of the time lectures can be as big as 250-300, so if you really want one on one time with professors you need to make an effort to attend office hours. Even if your professor is just decent, the one on one time should make a world of difference. TRANSPORTATION When students aren't biking to and from school the best way to get around is the student run bus system, Unitrans. It's an incredibly efficient way to get around and is free to students. However, if you forget your student ID you have to pay $1. THE SPOT ON CAMPUS The BEST place to get a bite to eat, get coffee with friends and study with earphones in is the COHO (short for Coffee House) right on campus. It was recently remodeled and has a wide selection of food from pizza to sushi. The entire COHO is student run, so it really is a central place for the campus and is, in a way, unifying. The prices are a little above those acceptable for a college student's budget, but if you happen to forget your sack lunch and are really desperate the COHO never disappoints. SCHOOL PRIDE Although sports aren't HUGE at Davis, they are still well respected. We have a great dance team and a well known school band that rocks. We have a student section called, the Aggie Pack, which gets pretty full at football and basketball games. I would say on a scale from 1-10, 10 being the most spirited campus in the U.S., Davis would rank a 3 or 4. When it comes to the rest of the campus attending events and supporting each other at events, the majority of the campus is a little lackluster. THE BEST THINGS The best part of UC Davis is the Spring when the sun is shining and you are able to sit in the Quad (huge central part of campus that is mostly grass) in between classes. The Rec Pool is also one of the best parts of the campus. It usually opens mid-Spring quarter and students go after class to lounge around the pool and relax. The ARC is also great because it has a huge basketball court, it offers different fitness classes, personal training, nutrition advice and so on.

The central valley is not particularly known as a prime location for young people to live. Davis is overlooked next to more well-known areas nearby, like San Francisco or Tahoe. Full disclosure: I did not expect much from this campus. But UC Davis, to my surprise, turned out to be the perfect school for me. Davis is a small town, so the university definitely sets the tone. Davis residents tend to be intellectual ex-hippies, retired professors, and young families looking to get away from the hustle and bustle of bigger cities. The campus is huge, but easily accessible on foot or by bike, which is how most students get around. Downtown has lots of great restaurants, and Davis is only 20 minutes away from Sacramento, California's capital. I feel obligated to include a comment about recent events on campus that may have put UCD on your radar. Just two weeks ago, a group of students peacefully protesting tuition hikes and showing solidarity with the Occupy Wall Street movement were pepper sprayed by the police. We held a rally, a general strike, and have been peacefully protesting this horrible incident of police brutality since it occurred. I do not feel unsafe on this campus. In fact, I feel an indescribable sense of pride in my school and my fellow students. This incident did not create hate or anger, it promoted an already present feeling of unity and brought everyone closer together in peace and love.

Davis is overall a good place for education and has a lot of nice people. Everyone is so approachable and willing to help others. I remember when I was a freshman, lost and confuse trying to find a building. A person looked over and saw me with a map, approaches me and said “Do you need help?” I thought he was very nice and helpful. Also, everyone is so approachable in class and I made some of my good friends there. We not only study together, but we hang out together too. We like you go eat (so many delicious places), catch a movie, sleepover to catch up on each other’s live, work-out together, take road trips, and so many more activities to do. The best part is that we are a college town. There are many opportunities at Davis. We are one of the few colleges that allow their students to create their own majors. Personally, I have not tried to create my own major, but I have helped to start a club called “Operation Smile at UC Davis.” My organization’s goal is to educate our communities about clefts and raise money to help children get free surgeries. I also took part in other organization such as to raise cancer awareness for women. Also, I am in a community service fraternity where we help our school, community, and country.

Whether you are looking for a big party scene, or somewhere quiet to study, or huge open spaces to play sports, or building to do research in, UC Davis has it all. When I tell people that I go to UC Davis, they sometimes assume that I study cows all day and don't ever have fun, but that couldn't be farther from the truth! As a member of a fraternity as well as an active member on campus by previously working for Aggie Pack (the student spirit organization) and having jobs on campus, I have so much fun outside of the classroom as well as in it. Because UC Davis is located in a small town about 1 hour from San Francisco and 20 minutes from Sacramento, Davis is the quintessential college town. By that I mean that with out the city of Davis, UC Davis couldn't exist and without UC Davis, the city of Davis couldn't exist either. It is a perfect symbiotic relationship that benefits both parties. The students get to experience a town, specifically downtown, that caters to them while the city gets the business from the students as well as energy that the students bring (especially in the fall and spring quarters).

What i like best about this school is that it is really diverse and very school spirited. I would change how large the school is. It's very easy to get lost, but once you know your way around it's not too bad. People are really happy for me when i tell them i go to this school because it's ranked pretty high in the UC system. I spend most of my time in the dorms with my friends. It's also a very friendly college town. The school's administration is overall very good. The recent controversy at this school is that the chancellor of this school was responsible for the davis police using means of violence to remove peaceful protestors off school grounds. There is a lot of school pride here at davis. I don't find anything unusual about this school and as a freshman, I still have a lot to experience. I was present when the police were arresting students in the quad on the 18th and that is something I will always remember. The most frequent student complaints are currently about the issue going on at the school with the davis police and the chancellor.

UC Davis is a great campus. There is plenty of greenery, places to sit outside and enjoy the sun if you want. Everyone is friendly and welcoming. I haven't been made to feel like I shouldn't be there at all. There are several things that I would like to change. If you want to be a tutor, and you are a transfer student, you can't tutor any of the courses that you took elsewhere. You have to had taken the class at UC Davis. The biggest controversy right now is that we are in a budget crisis, our governor is cutting $400 million from the UC budget and our new UC President is getting over $100,000 more than the last one. Everyone is cutting their budgets, and layoffs may happen, but the new president is getting way too much. I have had fun at UC Davis. I wasn't able to do many of the activities I would've liked, but circumstances are what prevented me from those. Davis is a great town for college. You can bike everywhere or take the Unitrans, which is cheap. For students, just show your ID card. I would definitely reccommend going to UC Davis.

UC Davis is a very big school, but I have yet to experience feeling alone, One of the things that attracted me to Davis was the strong sense of community I felt on campus. Being on your own is hard, but everyone pretty much has each other's back here. Overall, the student body is a very accepting and supportive group. My favorite thing about the students here is that everyone is incredibly smart, but not pretentious. No one is trying to compete with you for better grades or brag about what other schools they got into. Everyone is very laid back and down to earth. The other thing I love about UC Davis is the town of Davis itself. It is perfect for someone looking for a college in a college town. The town really revolves around the school and you will usually see someone you know when you go downtown. I know Davis is incredibly small, but it has a lot of charm. Davis is overal a very happy environment to go to school in. It may be in the middle of nowhere, but because the people are so cool you won't feel like you're missing out