University of California-Davis Top Questions

Emaly

Do not try to handle it on your own!!! Get help from counselors and get going on the right track right away. Make sure to pick your major BEFORE attending.

Make sure to challenge yourself academically in high school so that the transition to college courses is much easier. Also, go to college with an open mind and put yourself in new situations so that you are constantly growing as an individual and meeting people you would never have expected could be the best friends in your life. Don't be afraid to move far from home; sometimes it is the push you need to really succeed! Don't worry when things get scary; the hard times always pass and then they leave you stronger and better as a person. Finally, don't put off studying until the last minute... it almost always fails you. Good luck!

I would tell myself to really pay attention to those classes, like calculus, where the information still has not gone away for me and sometimes I look back and kick myself for not being as focused as I could have been. I would have told myself that just because it was senior year, that was no reason to start slacking off in order to spend more time with friends. I would share the truthful fact that college is much harder than high school is and that I should really buckle down once classes started. I would probably tell myself to save more money too because college is beyond expensive and really not affordable. This is a stress that the majority of college students face. I wish I could have had someone giving me these important advices in order to help better prepare myself for college. Despite having no such advice, I have done well for myself and I love giving advice to high school students whenever I get the chance because every student deserves such advice.

alejandro

No matter how hard the classes may be or the hours you spend studying for those science course; always strive for your dream. Time mangement is a fundemental key in completeing tasks and assignments, nevertheless, time mangement is bonded with study habits. Studying hard alejandro won't get you far, but studying smart and effectively will completely make your school life and social life simple and fun. Endless amount of tutors and help will be offered, so do not be afraid to raise your hand or attend a group tutoring workshop. Why you must attend these academic helping workshops or groups? Alejandro, these individuals are putting their time and effort to help others reach their goals. Indeed, you will have spare time to hang out with friends, meet new people and so on, but one thing mindset to always have in mind is that failure is not an option.

Well, knowing what I know now as far as the classes I have taken and the people I have come to live with now versus the people I call friends I have a few things to say. Academically, I would say that you need to start working on your study habits now because college is nowhere near as easy as you think it is going to be. Socially, I would say do not expect everyone to be your friend because it just is not going to happen and unless you know you are wrong or incorrect on the matter, do not compromise who you are in order to impress others or to get them to accept you. Keep being socially friendly but do not be sensitive if someone does not like you because it will happen.

I would advise myself to not go to community college. Community college is a lot less expensive, but the price is higher in that you don't get as many opportunities to bond with the classmates you will have when you transfer. Seeing pictures of other people experiencing their freshman year at a four year university, I see them making many more friends and lasting bonds than people who go to community college and then transfer. I thought that this wouldn't matter to me, but having experienced being a transfer student I know this is not true. Especially being a sophomore transfer, I am somewhere in the middle of freshman and junior transfers. Looking back, I would advise myself to find a way to pay for the full four years.

Paloma

Looking back, I would definitely tell myself to not be so scared. I think that growing up in a first generation, hispanic home my mother held a tight leash on me and that made me fearful of the world. Now that that leash has loosened up I realized that there is absolutely nothing to be afriad of. I would tell myself to be brave, go on adventures, take chances and meet new people. Even if something seems scary, people always adust to their new surrounding and find things that they love about whatever situation they are placed into. I would tell myself, to keep the friends I have, but never miss out on an opportunity to make a new one. I would tell myself that even if things don't work out right away, to keep trying and not to stop until I get what I want and have worked for. Most importantly, to be grateful.

College isn't as formidable as it seems right now; it is actually a lot of fun and you will meet some really splended people along the way. You already know what you want to do and even though it might be intimidating to think about it seriously, go for it! Don't be afraid of failing, just get back up and try again. Have a little faith in yourself and with a little hard work and dedication you can even get an A in Physics. :) I know you have no idea where you want to transfer to but that is ok; you end up where you are supposed to be. Just remember: Don't be afraid to ask for help. Don't be afraid to make new friends. Don't be afraid to be yourself. But most of all, have fun and I will see you in the mirror in the otherside.

If I could go back in time as a High School Senior and advice myself only one thing, it'd be to be ready to step out of my comfort zone. My first couple of years at UC Davis were not the best because I was too afraid to step out of my comfort zone. I was nervous to make conversation with people, join clubs and organizations, and even talk to professors. I became incredibly lonely, depressed and homesick, because I was not taking advantage of the privelege I had to be a student at UC Davis. Once I stepped out of my comfort zone, my whole college experience changed for the better, and now I wish I could spend extra years here to make up for the time I wasted being shy. Stepping out of my comfort zone was the best thing I couldve done, and I wish I would've done it sooner. I am now involved on campus organizations, I help lead workshops and conferences, and I have become friends with the most amazing people I have ever met. None of this would've been possible if I had never stepped out of my comfort zone.

Plan before you do. First, make sure you have a specific major or at least an interest of a career, if not research. What drives you? The purpose of universities is for you to know the concept, expand your knowledge, of your intended major well enough that you can teach someone analyze rather than memorize. Find the university that offers the best programs to help you succeed. Second you should visit copious universities. What is going to be the student to teacher ratio? Are you comfortable with a 40 to 1 or a 100 to 1? Can you be away from home or do you want to travel across the country? You can never go wrong with researching. Third, deadlines come faster than you think so be aware and be organized. And finally expenses, how much is this school? How are you going to manage? Apply for scholarships and start early. Tuition is one of the many reason why students have to drop out and go to a much less expensive college don’t let that happen write that 500 word essay it’ll make a huge difference in the long run.

I would tell my high school senior self to stop worrying about picking the right major. Throughout my first year at UC Davis, I realized that my chosen majors and minors have evolved over time as I talked with more professors, TAs, and academic advisers about my studies, careers paths as a scholar, and other classes related to the majors that I'm interested in. Also, I learned that I tend to excel in classes that involve heavy use of all my strengths, personal values, and passions. During Spring quarter 2014, I got a 4.0 GPA, because I chose classes that energized and excited me everyday; I would stay up studying until 2am for these classes, because I wanted to learn as much as possible from my readings and lectures and to improve the quality and content of my projects with my best effort. Therefore, I would tell my past self to not choose courses or majors that I am not instrinstically interested in. I noticed that my grades worsened in classes that I took for bragging rights too . Also, I would constantly remind my past self that I do have choices when it comes to my education.

Sonia

Everyone says that each year gets harder. That 11th grade English is way more difficult. Then it is 12th grade. There is never an end to the difficulty of education but there is reason why so many choose to forget about the hard things. Who really wants to think of the future, where you are handed tons of responsibilites? No one. It is a time of maturity that no one wants to belong to. It is better to be a child, playing tag with your friends than thinking about doing taxes with your co-workers. But growing up is a part of life that everyone has to go through. I would tell my high school senior self that I am better than Senioritis, better than all the excuses that will cause me great trouble in the future. Procrastination does not work in college, slacking does not help financially, and self-hate will not make me any happier. So many mistakes yet so many lessons. I have learned that my success will not depend on others but on my determination. Only I can control my future and there is no reason why I should sacrifice my happiness.

Before anything else, take the time now to really think about what you want to do with your life. The time you spend in college is extremely valuable and you have the opportunity to learn about whatever you want to; don't waste that time. Don't hesitate to talk with older students and advisors. They will be a HUGE help in your education as well as future career decisions. Form a good relationship with your academic advisor now and it will make life a whole lot easier during the school year. Before it bites you in the butt, realize that college is not the same as high school. For me, I was able to ace tests without ever opening the textbook. I just paid attention in class and skated by on that. This DOES NOT work in college. Get in the habit now of thouroughly reading your textbook, taking good notes and reviewing them, and going through study material. It takes a lot of self-study effort to do well in college.

Giana

Now that the final stresses of senior year have finally come to an end, I think it is safe to say that I am a wiser, more mature human earthling. Now, possessing all this knowledge and maturity, I think the most important advice that I could give would to be to let everything fall into its place. A constant worrier, I would spend hours upon hours pacing back and forth in my room, stressed over how to approach my college essays and applications, stressed about what the people reading my applications were thinking, and stressed about making the right choice for me. But now, I have come to realize that all that stress was pointless. Sure, I may not have gotten into every single high caliber school to which I applied. I may not have chosen the school that I originally set my sights on. But I ended up choosing the school that was right for me, the school to which all of the crazy cards of my life finally settled upon. And I could not be happier as my present self.

Kaley

I would say, be prepared. Study more and stress less and above all do things. Go out and make friends, do extra curricular activities, find a job and it will prevent homesickness

Relax. Getting rejected from the college you wanted is not the end of the world, and I promise that the next four years are going to be the best years of your life. Don't get me wrong, they're going to be difficult too. Brace yourself for long, stressful nights in the library and early morning coffees just to keep you up throughout the day. Also be prepared to gain a considerable amount of weight and I can tell you that cafeteria food is the precise reason why your jeans aren't fitting anymore. Keep an open mind. Love people, love cultures, love small talk. Remember this is a fresh start for you, and the way you treat people is the way they will treat you. Most importantly however, do not lose sight of what is important. Many tribulations and temptations will come your way, but keep your eyes on the prize, keep your balance and your priorities, and keep your head straight. " You. Can. Do. This. Champions keep going when there's nothing left in their tank. You will not quit til you win". Tell yourself this every day. And I promise, You CAN do this.

Cina

If I could go back in time and give advice to my high school senior self, I would tell myself to being making money. As a freshman, I've realized how expensive college truly is and how my family can barely afford it. I would tell myself that I already have the grades and the scores that colleges need, I just need the money that the universities want. Therefore, I would need to apply to many more scholarships. I would have to apply to any scholarship that I was eligible for even if there is a very slim chance I would win. Overall, I would tell myself that scholarships is how I will be able to survive university without drowing in student loans.

Abraham

Hey, try harder in school. There is a entire world out there to explore. Do not look down upon the students whom get involved in the school activities, but rather look up to them for taking the initiative to be more involved. Get good grades not because you have to, but because you want to learn as much as you want. There is so much knowledge to be gained in the classroom. Cool stuff awaits!

Rashad

If I had a chance to talk to my high school self, I would tell myself several things. I would say learn how to study because your really need studying skills to succeed in college. I would also tell myself good job in picking the animal science major because college has really solidified my aspiration of becoming a veterinarian. I would also tell myself to talk to my track coaches to try to help me get recruited in collegiate track and field because I really miss the sport. The last thing I would tell myslef is to save up money because that is important in buying books, buying scantrons, etc.

Kaley

My advice to myself and advice I am giving to myself now is to not stress out, to work hard and have fun. I need to focus on not being sad, I need to keep busy and do well. I want to have more fun, stay busy and really focus on where I am and not on where I want to be is home. If i focus on the here and now maybe I will be more comfortable where I am and not feel so bad and homesick.

Denver

When I opened my eyes, here stood in front of me a high school senior version of myself. I watched him as he walks lazily, with little purpose, without a care in the world. He bumped into me and I stood there laying my hands upon his shoulders, “do you know where you are going?” He looked at me dangling in confusion as I told him, “I am you.” In a year, your world will change. College is a whole different game. Learn to be a man of value, a man who give values to others. Be a leader. He asked, “Then who am I?” You are your habits, learn to use them. Manage your time well. There are no excuses, don’t put something off what you can do today. With more clarity, he asked, “where should I look?” Look into business and Entrepreneurship, you will find opportunities that fits your personality and skills. There is much to learn. Here, I see myself in you as you are now. I see what you will become is better than what I am now. Farewell, until we meet again. As he disappeared from my sight, I now close my eyes.

As you transition from a high school senior to a college novice, EMBRACE THE CHANGES; this is your chance to discover who you are as an individual, your chance to determine what impact YOU want to make on society. Don’t let the fear of failure keep you from exploring. In college, there no mistakes made, just lessons learned. Try everything and anything you could potentially like because this is the one time you have the freedom to do so. Never miss an opportunity to join an intramural inner-tube water polo team or take that photography class you’ve always wanted to take. Challenge your dorm mates to an all-you-can-eat contest in the dining commons. Get to know your professors and fellow classmates, you’ll learn just as much outside of class as you will during lecture. Lastly, live in the moment because these are the moments where you’ll find your passion for life.

Everything will work out as it should

Naji

"Do things that scare you and be yourself." Beautiful and cliche. Plain and simple. That's what I'd tell myself. But telling a room full of 17 year-olds to 'be themselves' is like telling a room of Israelis and Palestinians to 'just get along.' Get over your problems and be friends! Adding a tablespoon of 'be yourself' into the equation might as well multiply the impact of my 45 minutes with myself by 0. Heck, a teaspoon, let alone a tablespoon, is enough to switch the 'off button' for the teenage attention span. Street cred revoked, no matter how funny I am. Bye bye time traveler, hello iPhone. I'd need a head fake. Lead my young innocent mind down a direction that's hip while still imparting my important message. If you've ever seen the Last Lecture by Randy Paush, I'd rip a page out of his book. Eureka! Rap our "be yourself" present in the sparkly packaging of pretty prose and give it to myself while dancing. I'll never know what hit me.

If I were to go back in time and speak to myself as a high school senior, I would encourage myself to pursue my goals by truly listening to my heart. It would have made my college decision much easier and it would have taken some of the stress off of my mind. I would also tell myself to take a look at what is most important to me. By aligning my values of community, support, adventure, and balance, I would have chosen my school in a heartbeat. Instead, I ended up letting financial problems get in the way of my dreams. As a high school senior, it would have been nice to have some reassurance that money is not the end-all, be-all when it comes to college.

Dear Catherine, Congratulations, you did an awesome job! You lived out your personal motto: to do the best you could and the rest is out of your hands. As you head into graduate school be sure to remember the lessons you learned about life and transition. Do not worry so much about finances, enjoying your friends and life is more important. Take responsibility of your education; know the details of the system so you can take advantage of more opportunities. That was an important one, take great advantage of the opportunities given to you by the university, friends, contacts and your classes. Lastly, remember this, that when the going gets tough and you feel out of place just be yourself and know that time will help ease the difficulty of change and uncomfortable situations. Keep your head up and be excited about what is coming but don't be in a rush even if culture says otherwise. You are only young once and there will be time enough in the future to be older. Gain wisdom and stay young at heart. Sincerley from your future self, Catherine Pearl

Susana

I would tell myself to try figuring out my career earlier on. I would tell myself advantage of more of the advising resources available to me, especially the Chemistry tutoring and workshops. I would warn myself to be more aware of my drinking/socializing back then too- old habits die hard.

Nanki

3 very important pieces of advice for my high-school self: 1) Get off that high horse So, you got accepted at your top choice university? You think you're some sort of Einstein? Just wait until you start at Davis, bub. It's no walk in the park--be prepared to work harder than you've ever worked before. Those A's aren't going to come easily anymore. 2) Stress Less Yes, the workload is going to be more than you are used to. Yes, you're going to be surrounded by smart people who ruin the curve for you. No, there's no reason to panic and freak out. Remember to take time off for yourself, for your mental well-being. You aren't going to be a happy camper if you're constantly stressed. Happy students are good students. 3) Appreciate Mommy and Daddy's Rules You're not going to have mom and dad around to set the rules, to tell you what to eat or when to study. Learn to be responsible--they were telling you those things for a reason! Good time management skills are essential to allocate time for work AND play.

Shawna

I would have focused on a degree that would have made me more marketable as a professional. I did well in all of my past positions as a Sales Administrator, Executive Administrator, Program/Case Assistant, Triage Assistant, etc., but I did not have skills that another profession, such as an engineer, may have had to ensure that the positions I have had would be able to support me in the Bay Area.

Joy

Participate in as many activies as possible during your senior year of high school. Volunteer for events! Join the soccer team! Attend all the games! Cheer as loud as possible! Relish every moment because it's the last time you'll ever be able to. You need to do everything you can because you will soon be moving on to the next phase in life- college. When looking for a college do not worry about where your friends are going or what your parents want. It is ultimately your decision to make. Think about the right fit for you where you can obtain a quality education while allowing yourself to grow as a person. One of the hardest decisions you'll ever have to make in life is what you're going to be. But what you're going to do is much more important. Who you are is defined by your actions. Your passion will be discovered once you find what you truly love to do. Do not limit yourself to what other people think you are capable of. Press harder, try new things, get outside your comfort zone-only then can you live life to the fullest.

jose

As a first generation Latino law student, I have never had someone in my life that has been able to show me what is needed to succeed in college. Things haven’t been easy and having a unique experience to speak with myself as a high school senior, I would deliver two messages. First, would be to visit a counselor to set an educational plan in order to shorten my time at junior college and the second is to be persistent in this unique opportunity. I did not follow the natural path that students take in college. Unfortunately, by not meeting a counselor when I first enrolled in to college, I wasted time registered in classes that did not help me transfer to a university. Meeting a counselor early on would have assisted me in setting a plan to place me on the fast track to attend UC. Davis. As the first in my family to attend a university I had many doubts and felt that I lacked something others seemed to have. I would also communicate to my younger self to be persistent because it will be the only thing that will help me get through future obstacles.

Kinsey

I would advise myself to take more advantage of the opportunities available. There are so many chances to try new things in college, so I would tell myself not to be afraid and just go for it. I would remind myself not to be afraid of failure, because what is the worst that could happen? Maybe I don't actually like it, but that's actually a good thing, then I know to try something else. I would also remind myself to be outgoing and confident; there are so many people at college and everyone is different. Everyone has something different to share. In addition, I would tell myself how important it really is to visit the office hours of TAs and professors. This is how you make connections for the future; these people have already seen what you can do and how hard you can work, they are in the prime position to recommend you for a job, internship, or research position, or even hire you themselves. I would also urge myself to enjoy college as much as possible, college is an amazing part of life, and I should take advantage of everything it has to offer.

JOSE

As a first generation Latino law student, I have never had someone in my life that has been able to show me what is needed to succeed in college. Things haven’t been easy and having a unique experience to speak with myself as a high school senior, I would deliver two messages. First, would be to visit a counselor to set an educational plan to help shorten my time at junior college and the second is to be persistent in this unique opportunity. I did not follow the natural path that students take in college. Unfortunately, by not meeting a counselor when I first enrolled in to college, I wasted time registered in classes that did not help me transfer to a university. Meeting a counselor early on would have assisted me in setting a plan to place me on the fast track to attend UC. Davis. As the first in my family to attend a university I had many doubts and felt that I lacked something others seemed to have. I would also communicate to my younger self to be persistent because it will be the only thing that will help me get through obstacles in the future.

As a 17-year- old teenager, I always thought the coursework was going to be the hardest part of college due to my parent’s litany of “how hard college will be”, or how “every waking moment will be spent studying”. Looking back at my college career, I realized that learning to resist peer-pressure can sometimes be even harder than learning the college material. Thus, if I can go back in time and give myself advice, I would tell myself that the road to a successful college career is not about staying up all night studying; it’s about knowing when to say “no” to that Thursday night party, or “no” to that dubious red cup that some stranger hands you. In retrospect, college was a time for me to realize that I was responsible for my own actions. It would be unrealistic to tell my past self to stop going to parties, but it is realistic for me to remind myself of my own limits. Having this wisdom at hand would have made my transition to college easier by giving me an idea of how to find balance between my new social life and academics.

Celine

The first two years passes by quickly and it's best to enter college knowing what you want to do in the next four years. Keep focus and balance your social life with school work, despite peers influencing you to always go out. There will always be parties, but if you don't keep up with your studies, you will be wasting a lot of extra time and money, meaning more loans! Remember that there are two types of loans that you'll most likely take: one accruals interest 6 months after graduation, and the other evil one accruals interest 6 months after you start taking the first loan. The interest varies, so you better get a job to start paying for it! Use the college years to explore different internships and don't stick with one just because it's safe. The whole point of college is to meet people, develop good relationships (including professional relationships), and expand your interpersonal skills. During your undergraduate years, people are more lienient to "stupid questions," so don't be afraid to ask - it's why you're still learning! So take risks, don't be afraid to speak up, and stand out!

Ger

It is utmost important to build professional relationships with your professors, for you will need their support once you graduate and continue onto graduate/law/medical school. Other important things to remember are: always seek a student advisor for help when planning your courses; seek out internships because they will provide you with experience and open up various opportunities for you after graduation; build strong relationships with your peers because you’ll need moral support and encouragement to succeed in your studies; take advantage of campus resources (writing center, tutoring center, gymnasium, etc.) because they are a part of your tuition! Your college education and experience is what you make of it. It is a place for you to realize your potential and thrive on it. Your undergraduate education will be your foundation to enter your career, please take it seriously.

Hello past Melissa! This is a letter from your future-self. One year in the future to be exact. I know you're having trouble picking a college, but don't stress yourself out too much; I promise, choosing UC Davis is going to be one of the best decisions you're ever going to make. And that scholarship you win at the awards ceremony helps a lot during fall quarter, so I highly recommend applying for more of those, because Financial Aid at UC Davis kind of messes you up during winter quarter. But don't worry, you get through it just fine! And definitely sign up for the Band-Uh! early! Because I didn't, and I swear, with only 12 units, you'll have no idea what to do with all the extra time. And order your books early, don't make the same mistake I did. I fell super behind on one of my classes. Join the Taekwondo team! Everyone there is awesome, and you'll compete in Irvine! But just relax, you'll do great. Points are just numbers, just remember to have fun and kick butt! UC Davis is a great place to be!

Mehreen

I would tell myself that I should start life anew and leave my bad past behind, because after my senior year I was really broken for not being able to achieve as much as I wanted and for the problems happening in my family. The death of my friend also broke me, so I would go back and tell myself to be strong. I would also tell myself that I am worth more than just one person in a million. It took me four quarters to realize this and I wish I had understood earlier.

Ember

I would tell myself to create better study habits, and take more time taking notes. In college, that's a lot of what we do! I would also make sure to remind myself to manage my time wisely. My senior year was filled with a lot of things not related to school work, and without proper time-management skills, having so many other things going on is impossible in a university setting. In addition, I would advise myself to set a working endpoint. Stressing so much over everything that needs to be done is hard, and not healthy mentally or physically. Knowing your limits is important, and setting a time where you will stop working and make yourself relax and sleep is essential to staying sane. Other than that, I would tell myself to just take life as it comes and enjoy it as it goes.

Don't be intimidated on the first day! First day of moving into the dorms is the start of the most exciting part of your life! Settle in nice and slowly, get to know your new friends around you, explore the campus. Make sure you find out where all your classes are before classes start. You can get lost fast in these wicked buildings especially the very "artistic" ones that were built like a maze. Enjoy the food on and off the campus. Don't be afraid to explore downtown! OH and Farmer's Market comes right on campus so take advantage of that too!

Desirae

Now that I am a college student, and I have already made the transition from high school, there are a few pieces of advice I would like to give to my high school self. I feel that if I had payed attention to this advice before hand, I would have had a much smoother transition into college; nevertheless, I feel that I have learned from my mistakes. The first piece of advice that I would give myself is to start preparing for college in high school. That little piece of advice may sound obvious, but I have discovered how important it really is. One of my main regrets when I completed my senior year in high school was that I did not take high school seriously. My second piece of advice would be to believe in myself. I have learned that I can have the support of family, friends, or every single person on this planet for that matter, but if I do not believe in myself, it is nearly impossible to succeed. I found that with the support I received from my family and friends coupled with my positive attitude is what helped me to succeed in college.

SARAH

Be more outgoing! When you are in class, make friends that can eventually turn into study partners. Talk to your professors and do not be intimidated by the number of students that they encounter each day. Establish study groups. Read the reading assignments before class. Know what questions to ask and spread out your sciences classes!

jose

there would be a couple things i would tell my senior self about i would tell myself dont mess up your first time around and i would also tell myself that being in the medical field is where its at right now . because there is a high demand in the medical feild and it would just be a better outcome and about college life i would teel myself that its no joke there is alot of hard work that comes with the whole college life . but if you stick to it it will pay off big time. and the transition it takes is a big step you woul;d have to go from just plain old goofy and try and act a little more professional because they will not tolerate slackers but that does not mean you have to stop being the normal fun loving guy that you already are and the last piece of advice i would give myself dont pass up on the opportunity when it comes to you so that is what i would tell my senior self to 1 not mess up my first time in senior year 2. the medical field is the best choice

Consuela

Past Consuela, You’ll never make it to your senior year of high school because you'll have to get a GED. Its your sophomore year, and you spend much of your time in bed with those debilitating migraines, afraid that they will once again cause you temporary blindness. I know the guilt you have each day you aren’t in your seat. And the days you are there, I remember how the other children pick on you because the teachers spend extra time with you. It’s hard now, but hang in there. Don’t believe what those kids say. You are intelligent and can do anything. It took me a long time to realize that. Trust the advise of others. Sorry Hun, but you really don’t know everything. Taking someone else’s advice will save you heartache. When you get to college, focus on your general education courses first, it will take you time to learn what you want to do. Lastly, remember to never give up, never give in and always believe in yourself even when you feel like no one else does. With that, you’re sure to go far. Sincerely, Your Future Self

Shirley

How you did in high school is no indication of how you will do in college. If you study the subjects you are interested in, you are sure to do well. Once you're in college, nobody cares how you did in high school. The most important thing now is to learn how to best manage your time and workload, stay focused, and have fun. If you do that, you will do well in college.

Joanna

STOP PANICKING! Life will get better, I promise. There's no need to fret. Just because some of your friends made it into better schools does not mean anything. Davis is also way better than it sounds. The idea of cows being everywhere was only a myth! Also don't let "senioritis" get the better of you. Research the schools that you really want to get into. Remember: this is your future! However, in some way or another, everything will eventuall fall into place. Don't worry about it. Life goes on. The most important piece I can give to you is: study hard, no matter what.

Enjoy this moment. Make as many mistakes as you can, while you can. Don't stress about whether or not you will be successful. Just do what you love, and be the best. Everything else will fall into place. Think in terms of "when" and not "if". You're the best, whether you believe it or not. And soon, the whole world will know just how great you are going to be.

College is fun, but home is always where the heart is. Do not worry about the cost of tution, for it will all work out. Keep your door open and make some friends. Never forget your upbrining and morales, your family and God is always their for you; be their for them. Take pictures, as the old saying goes "a picture is worth a thousand words," and I would say memories as well. Be yourself and continue to study and work hard. It will pay of! Enjoy the rest of your high school. Work hard, but take it a little easier. College will not look at every little thing they do. Most importantly never forget who you are and where you are going.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to try to be involed in school activities as much as possible, and be aware of the resources that the school has to offer.

Niamh

GO TO ALL YOUR CLASSES. Really, they will teach you far more than just reading the book did in high school. Also, don't be so insecure, people are nice so get out there and make some new friends. You only get to go through college once so kick ass!