University of California-Davis Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of California-Davis

Jumoke

University of California, Davis has many resources for students and is always adding more. Most resources are easily accessible but like any other schools, some students do not always have the financial means to afford certain services. I would recommend UC Davis to students who have strong independent skills and are able to find things on their own. Also, UC Davis is for students who are comfortable having large class sizes. Overall UC Davis is a good school worth consideration for someone who is looking to earn their degree.

Spencer

dsiafhioadsfadskfjkasdjfl;asdjflasdjfksdkfla;skdjflasdjkflasdjflkasdjf kldjfakldjfalsdjflajsdflkasjdfjasdlfjasdlkfjasldkfjaklsdjfklsadjfklajsdfkljaslkdfjalskdjflaksdjfklasdjflkajdsflkasjdflksadjla;ksdlaksjdflaksjdlksadjalksdjalskdfalsdkjalsdkfjasldjf

Angela

The quality of classes at UC Davis is wonderful because they are academically challenging, but the professors also make it very engaging. Throughout my first 2 years, I have fallen in love with the school as it is a perfect fit for me. I love how it is a tight-knit college community. The campus is beautiful, and everyone is friendly. The small college town allows students to focus on their academics, but there are lovely places to eat and go out with friends. GO AGGIES!

Lana

It's good

It's a very diverse school with multiple opportunities. They encourage students to go the extra mile and then the campus is so lively. They have traditions and also there is alot of help towards students wether for academics or for the students state of mind personally.

Natalie

I love UC Davis! The campus has such an inviting atmosphere and everyone seems so happy there. I have just finished my freshman year at the school and I could not be more excited to see what's in store for me for the next few years. There are plenty of opportunities to gain experience and knowledge about ones field of study and also to partake in various extracurricular activities. I could simply go on and on about how much I love the school.

meghan

Davis is a very nice oasis in the Central Valley. The town is small, but you can usually find what you need. Sports are not our number one priority but we still have good teams and support is strong. Classes can be extremely large and there are the occasional awful teachers, but that seems to be the norm everywhere. Also, classes can be hard to get into and sometimes your needed classes have schedule conflicts. The school is really expensive, making me question their desire to help students. There are free buses which is great for off campus living and the town and campus are great to bike in.

Brenda

UC Davis is a really great school. There are plenty of opportunities to get involved no matter what your interest is, the people are friendly, the student body is really diverse, and the education is great. Has both big and small class sizes, and plenty of clubs, fraternities/sororities, and organizations you can join, as well as sports and intramural sports. Professors and TA's are eager to help, easy to get help and resources when needed, and the campus always offers variety of activities and job fairs. Offers various types of student housing, food is good, and the dorm life is great. Highly recommend!

Chen

I came to UC Davis as my backup school. To be honest, I am a little disappointed in the teachers and their lack of organization when they are lecturing. Otherwise everything here is awesome. People here are very friendly. The weather might be a little extreme though, speaking as someone from local who lives near the beach. Overall UC Davis is a pretty good school, except sometimes the classes give too much busy work.

gozen

I couldn't have had a better experience! Very academically focused but also fun and not extreme ended. Great lecturers! I am certain this experience will help me in the long run and prepare for graduate school. With some majors on #1 list, UC Davis is sure a very good school, just not known very well. Classes are competetive and some students are not the warmest, but that is a con of a top ranking school.

Metzli

I absolutely loved the UCD campus! The colors are vibrant and the city is absolutely amazing. You could pretty much get whatever you need a couple minutes from the campus. I plan to attend here in the fall. I visited the Davis Town and it actually reminds me of the Claremont Village - only better. There is not only variety but diversity and I really enjoy that.

Kimberly

First off Davis is another UC that runs with the quarter system. There are pros and cons: if you are a student who needs variety, likes multiple choice questions, but also procrastinates- the quarter system is for you. If you like spending more time on material, having more projects, having time to process information, and you're pretty on top of your material most of the time- the semester system is for you and don't go to any UC's... except Berkley, because they're on semester. Next we address class size. If you are okay with getting professors who are better with their research and field than actually teaching, and you are okay with large class sizes (100 and more) then UC Davis is for you. If you like meeting one on one a lot and the teacher knowing your name, and smaller class sizes, stay away from UC Davis (until grad school). It's the sad reality that our university prioritizes research over actually teaching. But if you are passionate about learning the specifics and going deep into your field- research may be your thing, so come to UC Davis! Another sad reality is that our university prioritizes fancy art and performing buildings more than classes. We have one stellar tutor building , one nice set of classrooms (Giedt Hall), and one huge class that seats over 500 students, but all the other buildings are old fashioned with tiny desks, uncomfortable, dirty chairs and chalkboards. (They avoid all the classrooms on the tours- that's how bad they are.) Even our library where most of the students spend their time is old. It's full of uncomfortable wooden chairs, not enough outlets, not enough seating during exam weeks, always doesn't seem to have the books we need, and the layout is very confusing. Upside? If you love art, even if your classroom is in shambles, the place you can display your art is beautiful! Same with theater and music performance. Sad classrooms, cramped practice rooms, but one hell of a place to show your stuff! The main redeeming features of the campus is the Student Community Center which is the safe space for undocumented students, students of color, LGBTQIA Students, and the meeting rooms are great. ...too bad it's too small. We also have minimal mental health services. It is difficult to get an appointment, our psychologists are flooded with work, we have a two tiny rooms for two people for every 30 minutes to receive mental relaxation (which is not sufficient for a campus of 30 thousand students). BUT we have a beautiful building for all other services besides mental health. We also have a state of the art workout building. That's always nice to see how much our campus cares about our physical wellness but not emotional wellness. We have a few study abroad programs, but they're all usually short (quarter system is 10 weeks). Underneath all of my satire and sarcasm, these are problems you will likely find at many large universities. But at Davis the best part is the potential to change so much! I and one fantastic student started a mental health workshop for staff and faculty and got it running within two quarters easily with the help of staff. You can change so much here and make our university better, especially if you know the right people to talk to.

hanna

I feel that UC Davis has a lot to offer. There are a lot of free tutoring services and counseling. It is encouraged to go to professor's office hours. Trying to get required classes with good professors is quite difficult however. Living in the dorms is not so great if you like peace and quiet. There is always someone yelling or screaming even at 3AM. There are a lot of friendly people, but also many people that look very judgmental.

Hipolito

I am a proud Aggie and can not wait until fall quarter. My heart belongs at Davis considering it embraces diversity and accepts differences. I encourage younger generations to take a look into UC Davis as it has much more than I expected. The city revolves around the students so the demand for activities to do is high. Greek life is important at UC Davis as well and the varieties vary from high to low.

kerlin

The University of California Davis was my first choice. When I visted the College I loved the environment that it had. This past year I got to explore the campus more and it’s amazing. My favorite part is the arboretum which is filled with redwood trees and a creek. It is very peaceful there. You can find ducks, pond turtles, and even sea otters. Favorite place to study.

Alberto

I am delighted that I chose Davis as the school to start my undergraduate career. I met a lot of people, and the Chicano/a department here at school made me feel very at home and welcomed. I love all the opportunities that professors and teacher assistants and even counselor offer to students to excel in their career and aspirations. This college town is a fantastic place to come to besides the hot climate in the spring it is one of my favorite places to be in and my home. ​

David

UC Davis is an excellent campus for people from all walks of life. The campus is extremely diverse with plenty of people to make friends with. The professors are very helpful and accessible via office hours, appointments or email. Professors genuinely want their students to succeed, but they can't check in on everyone so that help must be sought out. All in all, I'm glad I chose UC Davis; where I feel like I'm home and part of the bigger community.

From what I have read about University of California- Davis, it seems like a GREAT school. It is noce to hear that it is not as stereotypical as I amagine thats good to know, since I am Black I thought it would have been a small chance for me to join UCD. Being that this is my school of choice, I want to learn more about it. It is very uplifting that I am able to have true and thoughtful answers from the studentes that attend there. I appreciate this..

Amber

The University of California Davis had been my dream college since I was old enough to know what college was. I have been to UCDavis many times and I have loved my visiting, exploring, and biking, every time I've been there. I would love to be here so much and I have been working my way to get there since I've been in school, the school is a beautiful, friendly and awesome place to be and learn things.

UC Davis is an excellent university that provides a perfect balance of academic involvement and recreation and social enrichment. It maintains an air of professionalism while still working to engage students in campus activities. It has an amazing academic culture while still maintaining both a social and athletic population.

Ana

UC Davis is a great school academically, but you have to create your own adventure here. There are so many resources available, but it is up to the student on whether they take them or not. Go on OrgSync and look up the clubs available, look them up on facebook, go to that first meeting even if you don't have someone to go with. Student housing is comfortable, but bring things to make it your own. Food is good compared to many other colleges. The library and academic resources are amazing if you utilize them. It is a very geographically large campus, so get your walking shoes on or a bike. I walk between .5 to a 1 mile between every class. But the campus is beautiful, so it's okay.

trisha

This is my dream college! I have been wanting to attend UC Davis for such a long time and it's honestly still a shock I got into this beautiful campus. I am pursuing veterinary medicine and this institution will prepare me very much for when I apply to vet schools. From the amazing internships, the wonderful study abroad opportunities, the strong academics, the outstanding professors, and all the helpful animal/pre-vet organizations on campus. I am so excited to attend and become an Aggie! I love this place and I encourage everyone to consider attending this college.

Jia Hui

Great college town focused on agriculture, so there's a lot of fresh food around

Katalaina

Overall, as a first year I’ve come to fully enjoy my experience here at Davis. The transition from high school to college was very easy, and there are many resources that Davis offers to ensure your success. I’m a Biological Sciences Major, & from the knowledge I’ve gained throughout my first year, I’m eager to pursue further into this field & become a capable worker in the medical field for the future. Besides academics, the people at Davis are friendly & always willing to help. I’ve made many friendships and established such stable methods in networking with others as well as my professors in order to get ahead. Davis provides a wide variety of outside events & extra curricular activities in that way you can have a balance between academic and social life. I’m currently in the Nursing Club as well as our Polynesian Club, and I enjoy these extracurriculars very much. I also took part in our Intramural Program, when they offered volleyball as one of the sports. Davis has helped me maintain the life of an academic student while being able to make new memories with great people.

Abigail

Davis in an extremely safe area and the people here are so friendly. I've never had a door held for me so many times in my life or a group of people that have cared about me so much. Everyone here knows how to balance studying with having fun and we all encourage each other to perform the best that we can. You couldn't find a more supportive community.

Elisha

I think we have some amazing professors and the environment is relative friendly. However, there isn't enough support offered on campus and the quarter system really hurts a lot of students mental health. I think the school definitely should look into changing the quarter system into a semester system because a lot of students aren't prepared and thus suffer a lot from it such as depression, mental breakdowns and probation/expulsion.

alexa

The campus is beautiful, but the quarter system is super fast. If you plan to attend, be ready to be on your toes from day one. The adjustment from high school (semester system) to the quarter system is a huge jump, but definitely possible. Huge tip: as a freshman, take no more than four classes, or 12 units, give yourself time to adjust.

Diego

UC Davis overall is one of the best schools I have ever visited. The reason that I say this is because this university is in a town where everything is by and for the students. Here everyone does not matter who, is welcomed into the community because thats why were are here for. I couldn't be happier to have chosen this school to attend because I feel that I choose the best option for me. I am very thankful that this school exists.

Vanessa

UC Davis is a great place to be for people who enjoy nature and being physically active. The people are mostly friendly and the campus is overall a very eco-friendly environment. The classes here are usually intellectually stimulating and the professors/ta's are very flexible with their time. Help can be found almost anywhere you ask so don't be afraid to look for it and take advantage of it.

Shaun

This is a great university and a wonderful place to live. I love the town of Davis, this place is a hidden gem. The university campus is lush with trees, green grass, a wonderful people. I was accepted to UC Berkeley, however I chose to come to Davis because of the inclusive atmosphere of the town.

Robert

If you are looking for a smaller town with a slower pace, then Aggie life is calling your name. The town of Davis seems to have been strategically built around the UC Davis campus, so much so that everyone within the city's limits seems to have a tie to the campus somehow. This allows for a very close knit community that is always within walking (or biking) distance to the campus. The wide variety of shops, diners, and eateries add to the "homey" ambiance exuded by the city. The UC Davis campus is huge and operates almost like a small town in itself; bikes are definitely encouraged. However, once one gets comfortable to the sprawling acreage, the campus becomes peaceful, and walking along the many paths of the campus allows for one to decompress after classes. Choosing University of California-Davis is a great option for students who are worried about being overwhelmed by bigger cities or those who want peace and quiet as they look to study.

Reiko

In high school, 8 would have never thought of moving to the other side of California, but I love UC Davis that I cannot imagine spending four years anywhere else. Not only is the campus encompassed by the beautiful nature, but the students here are very friendly, passionate, and motivated. Though classes may be difficult, the professors and TAs help students pass the class. UC Davis are offers many student organizations which really helps us connect on a deeper level with each other!

Raquel

UC Davis is a really welcoming campus to students of all backgrounds and the environment makes it possible for everyone to find their home away from home. The area is really safe and is the perfect medium between an urban and rural setting. There is a small college town vibe about Davis that makes it very comfortable to live in. Overall the school and the city are both amazing places to be.

Aarush

I arrived to the dorms in September of 2016 and to be completely honest, I was not excited to enroll in this university. Fast-forward one year, now I am living in an apartment and have completely fallen in love with this campus. Upon first look -- UC Davis is a parents dream campus. Quiet, quaint, no such party culture at the forefront of the university, and fields everywhere. To a student, not so much. After living here for over a year now, UC Davis is a hidden gem full of colorful social activities, a diverse student demographic, and intense academia that has allowed me to learn about myself through personal experiences here as well as the wide array of classes offered. I am proud to call myself an Aggie and to be in the graduating class of 2020.

Maya

My overall opinion of University of California-Davis is a very positive opinion. UC Davis has so much more to offer other than just off-the-chart academics. I am a first-year student majoring in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology at UC Davis. My biggest concern coming to campus was the overall safety rating of living on campus. However, when I came to campus I could not have been safer. A huge positive regarding the safety is that if you have a late-night class, you can call "Safe Ride," which is run by the UC Davis police department, just in case you feel unsafe. In addition, the housing conditions are great, too. The resident floors always maintains its cleanliness. As far as off-campus housing goes, there are numerous off-campus housing options that students can look into for their next couple of years. Overall, I love my campus, UC Davis.

Theresa

I love UC Davis!

selina

n

Shelby

UC Davis is a great place to learn and immerse yourself in the community! Everyone in both the school and the city of Davis as a whole is very welcoming and accepting; no one hesitates to lend a helping hand. The city is extremely bike friendly, and the school is only about 2 minutes from downtown Davis, where you can find almost anything you'll need (including lots of food places!). The academics at UC Davis are excellent, with an endless supply of interesting classes (Zombies, Beer Making, Witch Hunting, and more) and professors who really care about your success. Overall, Davis is an amazing school!

Jackie

Davis is a great college town, you can find a little bit of everything here. Attending UC Davis has been a really great college experience overall. The opportunities offered are immense and I have been able to immerse myself academically, socially, and professionally.

Iev

UC Davis consists of a lot of international students who are very competitive. This is why the courses are very rigorous when it comes to grading. People who came from a low-income background, like me, will definitely have a harder time adjusting to this environment. However, if you're a 4.0 student in high school, then you can definitely get a 3.0 average GPA here if your 4.0 truly reflects your capabilities.

Tex

University of California, Davis is a beautiful school. The people are very friendly, the air is fresh, and the scenery is gorgeous. Academically, it is tough. People are very competitive, however, they are competitive in a motivating way. The students are determined to be the best at whatever they do, but they also make sure that they don't leave anyone behind. Every day in Davis, the number one rule is work for yourself, but don't forget the ones who helped you get there. Furthermore, the professors are random. For example, for one class a student can have a professor that cares about the student. On the other hand, it can be otherwise where the professor does not care about the students at all. So when it comes to choosing a professor for a class, it all depends on who you know and what they can tell you about a certain professor. In addition, the social aspect of UC Davis is the norm, just like any other university. The one difference that Davis offers that other schools don't offer is the positive atmosphere. The vibe in Davis is always chill and exciting. The people are hardworking, but they also like to enjoy themselves. Every day there is always an event happening for those that want to enjoy. Overall, University of California, Davis is an amazing school for people that want to enjoy life everyday but also work hard everyday.

Cristal

Having only been at UC Davis for approximately 3 months, it is such a great school. Surely, I do wish there was more diversity, but the overall community is so friendly. Not only that, the learning environment is so peaceful and the teachers do their best to help out as many students as they can.

Ann

University of California-Davis is an excellent university, one of the better but often overlooked colleges in California. The campus is beautiful with architecturally intriguing buildings and an abundance of natural elements, and the campus hangouts such as the CoHo, the Silo, and two full Peet's locations offer great food and drink options and spots to study until late into the day. Freshman dorms are well-maintained and spacious compared to some other UCs. The gym is free for all students (though currently under renovations) and the school maintains a student-run bus system that serves the entire Davis area, also free to all students.

UC Davis is a beautiful and well kept campus full of life of students and faculty. There are many artworks displayed and different cultures to be seen.

HIU MAN

The university of california davis is definitely a great school to study at. Students are very friendly and not as competitive as other universities.

Kaelea

I'm a first year at UCD and I love it! Though I got off to a slow start making friend I've gradually bonded with a good amount of people. There is so many different types of clubs and other involvement opportunities. You're bound to find something that fits you.

Julia

UC Davis is an amazing school that anyone could feel like they're at home when they are there. Regardless of major, you will easily find people to click with and help on your academic journey. Professors are very into their studies, although you can easily find time to discuss any issues or find the help that is needed.

Laura

Great academic school, okay at athletics. Dining halls are very good, but gets repetetive. Campus facilities are nice, some classrooms and bathrooms need to be cleaned way more. The gym is being re-done now, but should be very nice when finished. The campus is very large when you have to walk across campus to class. It smells like cows and it gets very hot and it rains a lot. Everyone rides bikes.

Carrina

I love it here, its beautiful and the people are very friendly. My only complaints would be that the internet goes down at the worst times and it can be boring on the weekends if you aren't outgoing/have a large friend group, but there are many, many opportunities to make friends.

Mia

My overall opinion on the university of California-Davis is it is a very bright school when it comes to academics and social life. When I visited the campus I instantly fell in love with the school. There seems to be a lot of opportunities for undergraduate students. I hope I will be able to attend next fall.