University of California-Davis Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of California-Davis

It is very expensive to live here, but we'll see if worth it in the Fall. I like how natural the campus is, there is a lot of trees and a creek. Everyone rides a bike here, so that's fun. The bio classes are impacted but they have huge lecture halls for everyone.

Lynn

Great agriculture school, you MUST visit the cows. Although it's in a quiet college town, it's nice and there are activities to do over the weekends. The nature and campus is amazing, probably one of the best UCs, if not the best. It's also a very healthy and fit school, biking is so worth it! Just don't get your bike stolen. Mine was stolen two days ago. Buy a U-Lock. In fact, buy 2 U-Locks. Maybe 3. Nothing will stop the thieves so the goal is to make your bike a hassle compared to the others.

Shawlene

It's a good place to keep focus on school. The classes are rigorous and the teachers are sometimes hard to understand. There are, however, many resources to help you get a better understanding of your classes. There are parties, but not too many where everyone parties. Drunk people tend to be loud at night by my dorm, which sometimes disturbs my studying. But, overall, this is a challenging and fun school!

Jacqueline

I like how it is very nature like and calm. Overall great school just takes some time to get used to the cows and wild turkeys. There are science and engineering programs designed to help you out. Make sure to go to tutoring which is a free resource. There are many safe spaces on campus no matter what you identify as.

Katalina

Welcoming. Sustainable. The University of California, Davis is a beautiful campus, that strives to maintain a friendly environment for students to prosper in. The bikes zooming through the streets reflect the students' eagerness to learn, as well as the faculties willingness to provide guidance. An abundance of resources aid thousands along their lifelong journey of obtaining priceless education. UC Davis will become the community you are proud to be a part of.

Taymour

It is overall a good school. The atmosphere and community is the best part. And everything else is pretty good. I think most people would be able to find their place in this campus. Even if you didn't want to come here, most people come to love it. And there are so many career opportunities and extracurricular.

Teresa

UC Davis is a great school. Students there are supportive of one another. Professors are knowledgeable and helpful. There is a relaxing environment in the college. Davis itself is a college town. Although there are not many stores in Davis, students can take a free bus ride to nearby cities like Sacramento.

Benjamin

Good school so as far as I have been able to tell. Food could be better in the dining halls but the COHO and surrounding food places have excellent options. Classrooms could be smaller but it should be expected that not all classes can be small. Nevertheless, it's my school and I love it

Johnathan

There are University across the country that would like you to attend. It is and should be a place of comfort. A place you see your self at for the next four years. A place where Professors young men and women all bond together for the same goals.

Felician

I love it! It is the top veterinary school in the world which is great for me because in the future I want to become a veterinarian. Everyone at UC Davis that I have met is nice and friendly and always has a smile on their face. UC Davis has a beautiful campus and tons of animals that you can visit. It has something to appeal to everyone.

Bryana

University of California is a very great school for those aiming to pursue a career in veterinary medicine as it is the number one nationwide, but there is not as much involvement in extracurriculars as one would expect. The atmosphere is wonderful overall and it provides a great learning environment.

Chelsea

The University of California Davis is a very adaptable environment and its a place where you can explore many new things. The university has many resources for students who need help in whatever it may be. It also has many safe spaces where students can feel comfortable studying. Coming to the university and leaving home was a big change for me, but overall it has allowed me to expand myself and to learn to be on my own. The teachers and staff are very helpful and I would recommend for any incoming students.

Maaike

I chose UC Davis because of the community. I felt welcomed and saw many great opportunities as soon as I stepped on campus. I can't wait to be on the swim team and start learning new and interesting things in and out of class. I am ready to start my journey as an Aggie since I have already received such great advice from advisors and current students.

Kirsten

Overall, my experience at Davis has been a positive one. This school has pushed me beyond my limits and helped me explore talents that I didn't even know I had. I've met a lot of like minded people who share the same goals as me and have become great support systems during the trying times during the academic school year. I recommend Davis highly!

Sydney

My overall opinion of the University of California of Davis is that it is such a beautiful school visual-wise. For some classes there are 20 students or less, and for other classes there may be more than 200, depending on whether it is an elective or a main class. The thing is that some professors are not well at teaching, so it can be quite difficult to pass their classes. The food is good, there is always a variety and doesn't repeat until much later, plus the meal plan allows for unlimited swipes in a day. Yeah, the school may be kind of diverse but one thing I have noticed is that people tend to hang out with people of their own race so white people with white people, asians with asians, black people with other black people, etc. They do have fraternities and sororities but they do not take up much of campus life so it is rare to here from them. Not much people go to sports games either. There is a variety of clubs and organizations on campus though.

Melody

My experience with UC Davis has been that the campus cares for its students' success in providing a variety of services accessible free of charge. Though such services may be considered standard, such as recreational and fitness facilities, health and wellness centers, as well as art centers, there are a few things that UC Davis offers which make them particularly unique. UC Davis might be the only school within the UC system to have an equestrian team and is universally ranked as the top school in the nation for its veterinary programs. I personally enjoy the fact that UC Davis is a college town with a downtown Davis being walking distance from campus. The outdoor and spacious campus stood out to me when selecting schools, as the environment played up student health and well being over confinement and competition. From my personal experience within my own field of study, I found there to be plenty of research and networking opportunities available, with passionate staff and faculty who value discourse and student interaction. Tutoring is readily available on campus. The only downside to my experience so far is with minor grading/ rubric transparency, though this is based on the instructors that I have had. Overall, I have enjoyed my experience on campus so far, as it has provided me with community as well as academic opportunities, and I am satisfied completely with my choice in school.

Cassandra

Davis' location is an interesting one- there's plenty of shops and things to do downtown, but it's not really a party school. Sometimes you'll be downwind from some cow dung (hence our lovely nickname). Campus is expensive and pretty nice, and the people are also pleasent.

Ariel

It is a very beautiful campus that has great students. Most of the tools that you need to be successful are available, but it is up to the student to ask questions and find out about the resources that they need themselves. There is little diversity which makes it very difficult for students of color to find community sometimes, but community is here if you look for it and get yourself involved.

Brooke

UC Davis is perfect for two types of people: students who just want to study and Ag majors. Other than that, UC Davis is probably not the place to be. It is an extremely urban, modern campus full of kids on bikes rushing to their next class. The tour definitely gave off the vibe that academics are the priority and all the fun parts of college are irrelevant,

Joanna

UC Davis is honestly a great school. The academics are fairly rigorous, but there plenty of opportunities and resources for success. TAs and/or professors hold office hours often and are fairly accessible. The overall vibe is down-to-earth and relaxed, and generally the student body is super friendly. Campus is gorgeous, and the Arboretum is a huge plus if you like nature or need a space to relax-- plus there are tons of bike paths and greenbelt areas throughout the area. The town has a bit of a small-town feel, so there isn't a ton of exciting activities, but it's very close to Sacramento and not too far from the Bay Area. One definite downside is the limited and expensive housing in town, and that only freshman can live on campus. Be prepared to bike!

Sam

Some professors are great. Most of mine were. Advisers are absolutely terrible-mostly like to heard themselves talk-I've been to 4. The food is absolutely awful. The DC is not very clean when it comes to washing the dishes. The food is extremely bad. There are not a lot of good options. For being an "organic site" Davis never has a great selection of fruit or vegetables to choose from. Allergies are everywhere-from toxic sprays to contaminated food. You can make great friendships here though!

Meghan

I have such mixed feelings about UC Davis. It has a very pretty campus and spills into a charming small college town. Athletics are not our strong suit, but it is still nice to be able to go to games and support the school. There are also a lot of research opportunities for undergrad students, which is a perk. A big drawback would be that Davis is a research school, so sometimes the teachers are more concerned with their projects than actually teaching the class. Lastly, because UC Davis is such a large college, getting the classes you want is relatively difficult. In the end I only came to Davis to have it look good on my diploma.

Zoe

I love UCD. Not only are all the people I've met incredibly nice, but the professors and TAs really seem to care about how you're doing. The campus is so big and beautiful and it's awesome having downtown Davis right next to it. Theres tons of great places to eat and things to do both in downtown and on campus. I'm so glad I can call UCD home.

Jiamin

University of California, Davis is a supportive and safe community. I've spent long hours studying at varies locations available on campus. Professors are reachable during office hours, online discussions and email. Courses at UC Davis promotes team building, leadership and individuality.

Amie

I loved my time at UC Davis. I met some of my best friends there and got a world class education. The small-college town feel was amazing. About 80% of the town is made up of college students, or with residents who are somehow affiliated with the university, so there is a great deal of Aggie Pride everywhere. It is still close enough to San Francisco to take weekend trips and enjoy the city life there, but I often found myself staying locally in Davis and enjoying the scenic views and company of my fellow students.

Kassidy

I love UC Davis and I am very happy to go here. The class sizes are large for the preparatory subject matter but they get smaller as you get to your area of specialization. The teachers are all very helpful and accessible to you if you choose. There are a lot of clubs and different activities

Kiranpreet

University of California- Davis is a beautiful campus where students are socially welcoming. Students are never alone there and can easily be friends with one another. In addition, there are a lot of resources provided to help students do well academically. Students are very respectful to one another and equally to their teachers.

Angelina

They have support groups for everyone regardless of race, sexual orientation,. Their main goal is inclusion. Every one is welcome and everyone has a place to go. You can be as connected to others like you or solo. People respect your choices and encourage you to find your own voice apart from where you come from or how you were raised.

Renatto

Best 5 years of my life so far. Got plugged in with a student organization right away which made my college experience that much better. Great small town with genuinely nice people. Take advantage of everything that Davis has to offer. You make it what you want.

ashley

My overall opinion is that the campus is overall beautiful. It's very spacious and you're always surrounded by nature. It does have a small town, but nothing wrong with that because it's very homely and you can always a weekend trip to Sacramento or San Francisco. The activities on campus are great and there are so many opportunities to get involved.

Yu-Ling

UC Davis is located in a small college town. There are a lot of different restaurants, different types of foods nearby, and students and faculties ofter ride bikes to get to the places they want to go. There are cinemas and Trader Joe's and Target nearby, which is very convenient to live there. Davis is a small city without too much distractions, and it is a very good place for studying. However, during the weekends, if you want to get some distractions, Davis is only half an hour away driving from Sacramento, where more restaurants, karaoke bars, and shopping malls are located. Furthermore, San Francisco is also only about an hour away driving, students are able to explore the big city and visit the Pier 39 and the iconic Golden Gate Bridge. Campus life is also very colorful. There are lots of clubs to join, and the fraternity and sorority are continuously throwing parties or other events. Academically, UC Davis also provides many workshops and tutoring services for almost any subjects. Residential life at UC Davis is also very nice, first-year students are able to get the tutor they need inside the residence halls too.

Savannah

Personally, I love UC Davis. As a freshman, I live on campus which provides a group of people who you are automatically always interacting with. My professors and TAs are really awesome and seems like they want you to succeed. I love the weather because, coming from the East Coast, it is so much nicer and more neutral than our extreme summers and winters. Overall, the education and culture are both great at UCD.

Jean-Michel

My overall opinion of the University of California, Davis is very positive. There are many accessible facilities, resources, clubs and other activities on the campus. It is the main area of the Davis area, which means it is very close to outside complexes and apartments. The professors are very professional and are very accessible to students. Students campus safety is prioritized with the campus police and very astute students. I would recommend UC Davis to my friends.

Karina

Overall I love my school!

Natalie

Davis is a hidden gem compared to all the other over hyped UC's. The opportunities for incoming freshmen make the experience from transferring from high school to college so much more exciting than nerve wrecking. The dorms are nicer than many other campuses and their aggie cash service with the meal plans is amazing! Its a perfect setting and as a smaller college town; students could feel at home and less overwhelmed with too much outside noise compared to bigger cities.

Vy

As a student at UCDavis, I truly love the campus, it has a safe and beautiful siting. However, it does have its cons to its pros. The professors are here for their research, and sometimes are not the best ones to seek for help. But there are other resources that Davis has that are very useful. For example, there's many tutoring services, counseling, and other groups always welcoming anyone who needs help either academically or personally. When it comes to extracurricular activities, I wish there were more opportunities for those. There are always club postings on campus that show what clubs are available, but you have to be willing to look yourself. The campus is very big, so it will take a while to get use to the environment. Overall, the campus and school is a good choice if you are here for academics and anything science related.

Macy

Davis is a great school with a lot of activities to do. The school is a large campus making biking one of the primary ways of getting around. The town itself is small so there is not much to do during your free time unless you use the bus system or have your own car.

Natalia

I'm an out-of-state student, so I was not able to tour UC Davis, but from the moment I opened its website, I knew I had to go there. I have never regretted my decision to attend UCD, it is an academically outstanding school, while also being welcoming, warm and fun. You never feel out of place here, you always feel safe and the city if Davis is great. It's a big school but at the same time everybody has their place, you don't get lost in the crowds. UC Davis is always the right choice.

ashanti

I like how quiet it tends to be, however, it can be difficult sometimes to find things to do because there isn't much here. I like how clean the campus tends to stay. Its typically nice in the spring to where there are many outdoor activities to participate in. The campus has room to grow in its diversity, however it seems to be growing more diverse with the incoming freshmen and transfers.

Dilasha

UC Davis has a beautiful and safe campus. As an incoming undergraduate, I was pleased to see many enthusiastic and diverse students with variety of interests. Making friends seemed so simple because of the students friendly attitudes. Faculty members that greeted incoming students were welcoming and filled with excitement. Go Aggies!

Dustin

UC Davis has been sa blast so far! I am very glad I got the opportunity to attend this University as it has various activities for me to try and explore! From the nice view at Memorial Union to the fun clubs you're able to join, UC Davis is by far the best college out there.

Makela

Overall, I believe that UC Davis is great school. It might seem like you are in the middle of nowhere, but there are still a lot of thing you can do in Davis. There are a lot of clubs, organizations, sport events, and a variety of events that are planned throughout the school year. For example, there is an event called Whole Earth Festival where different vendors come to sell their products and the event is a zero waste event. UC Davis also has a lot of teachers that care about students and their needs. Personally, I was struggling in a lot of my classes, and I talked to my teachers and TAs. They were all really supported of me and gave me options and advice on how I can improve. Some people may not realize that the relationships between teachers and students are very important and UC Davis has some of the best staff that make going to school enjoyable. UC Davis may might just seem like a college with cows, but there is something for everyone from all over.

Michelle

This school is pretty great - many clubs and a great Downtown. However, I honestly learn off of youtube and friends so maybe go to community college first. Nevertheless, it gives you a perfect small-town feel which enables you to focus on academics but also have a social life.

Madison

I think the University of California - Davis is a perfect fit for a specific types of students. For me personally, I find the school a great fit because I enjoy the small, college-town vibe and the accepting community that it provides. As for academics, it is easy to get plugged into your education because there is not much to do in town.

Danielle

UC Davis is a great school. I am very happy with my choice to attend UC Davis. The school atmosphere was welcoming, exciting and overall very positive. I have encourged many high school students to consider UC Davis for their undergraduate career. Go Aggies!!

Camille

I love UC Davis so far. The classes I want are usually not to much of a hassle to get into. I haven't had a class bigger than 60 students for any of my non-science courses, the professors keep to fairly strict office hours, and are overall available to ask questions or clarify something when I need it. Socially, there's always something fun to do. Whether it be go to a game or a party. I love it here.

Riley

Davis is a great place if you aren't a whiner. It is one of the top public universities in the country, which is why many people attend; however there are also a lot of upper middle class or affluent folks who didn't get into a fancy private school or Berkeley/UCLA and are SERIOUS whiners. If you don't listen to the negativity and choose to be proud of what you have achieved you will love it. There's mostly just restaurants around UCD, but concerts happen on campus or in the nearby Greek Theater in Berkeley which you can bus to for free. There are parties with what little Greek life there is, but they're pretty hit or miss (which can make for fun stories). There is a lot of support for first generation college students as well as for a whole array of identities. Some of the buildings need a little work and the Tercero DC can be a little gross, but overall a great, quiet, calm place to go to school.

Joseph

Friendly without a doubt. Most people on campus, both students and facility, are welcoming and willing to help. Such a friendly vibe on campus has inspired me to become more altruistic and motivated to pursue my dreams. I am driven and willing to do whatever it takes to create my successful future, and there are plenty of like minded people here so finding motivation is only a conversation away, all you have to do is be willing to communicate.

Kimberly

What's captivating about UC Davis is that it is the most sustainable university in the world. In addition, their School of Veterinary Medicine is the largest veterinary school and ranks first among the nation’s vet school. Although Davis is not a busy or bustling college town, the campus is very student-focused, diverse, safe, and eco-friendly and sustainable. Also, it is actually more affordable than most UC communities. Regardless of your culture, religion, sexual orientation, or political beliefs, UC Davis is very accepting to everyone. There are a variety of clubs and student organizations that almost fulfills every academic, artistic, cultural, and spiritual interest.

Long

UC Davis has a massive campus. The weather in Davis tend to be hot in the summer but there are a lot of trees planted around the campus for shades. In addition, the campus is very eco-friendly. Students mostly use bikes and skates to travel on campus. The campus is not really dusty either. In addition, there are cattle barns but I believed it will smell the worst in Summer. Dorms are good and news. Downtown Davis is right near the campus