University of California-Irvine

« See more reviews of University of California-Irvine

While there are a lot of Asian students, the percentage isn't really more dramatic than the general demographics of southern California (SoCal). Yes, there was always construction going on throughout my time at UCI, and that continues now too. The university just turned 40, so it's still growing and very motivated to establish a strong reputation. Because of the rapid growth, on-campus housing is difficult to find. Until very recently, only first year students were guaranteed on-campus housing. Now, or in the near future, students get housing for the first two years. Members of the Campuswide Honors Program or those with high-ranking scholarships have guaranteed on-campus housing for all 4 years. As a result of these limitations, people often live in apartments in University Center across the street, near Irvine, or in surrounding cities (including beachfront properties in Newport Beach :)). However, a large chunk of students choose to live at home in various cities in SoCal and commute on the 405 to get to school, which definitely seems most isolating. While UCI wants to reduce this reputation of being a commuter school, many people elect to keep close ties to their non-college-related lives. However, there are several strong student organizations if you choose to partake. Characterizing UCI rank is a bit more iffy to confirm or deny. As a whole, UCLA and Cal probably have more competitive students, but there is definitely a subset of very high-achieving students at UCI. I know several people who did undergrad with me at UCI and ended up at very prestigious graduate and medical schools. The academic environment can be very stimulating if you choose to find the opportunities like through research or honors programs.

While it is true that the majority ethnicity at our school is Asian, it is definitely not 100%. One of the really cool things about UCI is its diversity because it breeds the type of environment where everyone has to get along, that is, if you're willing. On the issue of being a commuter school, well, that is a stereotype that holds up to scrutiny. Irvine is situated in south west Orange County, which if you've never been here, feels like one giant, clumped together city. If you're lucky enough to get housing near campus (it can be pretty expensive) then you won't have to have a car, otherwise... There have been stories lately about anti-Semitic or anti-Muslim sentiments existing on our campus but those have proved to be entirely false. There have been a few incidents where speakers have come and said some pretty crazy things, but everything that has happened has been within the realm of free speech. Sometimes it feels like people just want to stoke the fire but it's been pretty cool to see how the students have defended UCI against these accusations. I do wish there was more school spirit at UCI. You'd think that after going to the College World Series in baseball and winning the NCAA National Championship in Men's Volleyball last year that we'd have a little more school spirit but it's been slow coming. The good news is that more students are getting involved and more people seem to be coming to the sports games.

Yeah there are lots of Asians, but that doesn't mean too much (except that you have a lot dedicated science majors to compete with). Irvine is an amazing place 22 minutes from Disney Land, 40 minutes from LA, 10 mninutes from Newport. There are actually a lot of cool little ice-cream, drink shops, and resturaunts. Irvine itself isn't so hip, but the world is at your finger tips. Having a car does help but so many people have cars and they have this mega cheap rent a car program and newport shuttles and stuff. Parties! There are plenty. One thing though is that at UCI "the party is not knocking on your door" as I always say. Meaning there is rarely noise problems or conduct violations. If you want to go a party the frats will bus you to the clubs they rent out. It's all amazingly fun. At UCI there's always a place to study or participate in innocent fun, and there's always a billion parties to hit up, plus there is LA just up the freeway.

Much of this stereotype is true. Although there are a lot of Asian Americans on campus there also are many other nationalities. I saw this diversity being very rewarding especially in my classes. Different people bring different ideas that will challenge your own. In response to UC Irvine being an "easier" school to gain admission this might have been true when I applied, but I have heard that they are being more selective in the process. While I attending the school, Irvine went up in rankings among other UC's (#4) as well as gaining a future Law School. Pretty amazing for those that said it was a "backup school".

While it is true that there is a higher percentage of Asians at the school than at other schools, most of the people that tend to point this out are the ones that are blatantly racist. If you're a racist Asian-phobe, then this is probably not the place for you (and we don't want your kind around here). It is true that a lot of students were rejected by UCLA. Under Construction Indefinitely has also been true since I've been here, but you bastards will probably reap the benefits of our asthma-inducing trials through construction.

-Unfortunately, the diversity at Irvine sucks. There are some Indian kids in addition to the enormous Asian population, but really, if you're looking to meet African-Americans, Chileans, Cubans, etc, you will definitely not find them here. -That's true. -Well...frats/sororities have a good scene if you like being ruffied and raped, otherwise there are small parties. I guess it depends on your friends. -Most girls fulfill the Southern California stereotype solidly, so yes, we love our Ugs and mini skirts.

The school is populated with the majority (43%) of the school being of asian background. There is plenty of a social life at UCI. The problem is students are not very actively involved with the school. Coming from a high school that had a lot of pride, UCI shows no pride in itself. The students themselves make fun of their own school. Not enough people go to sporting events or any events held at the school.

I believe these stereotypes are accurate. There are a lot of asian students, but there is great diversity just within the asian community at UCI. It is not just chinese students that are abundent, but as well as southern, south eastern, and mid south asians. Also, there are A LOT of rich kids, plenty of your stereotypical orange county people.

Well it?s not a party school like Santa Barbara, but the campus is one of the most beautiful with the park in the middle. There are lots of Asians, but why are we known for that? Irvine as a city is pretty mellow, quiet and sometimes boring, but the beach is so close and... so is everything else in southern cali.. LA, SD, etc..

it is true that there are a ton of Asians at our campus, but its all good. but there are a ton of different asians here, like Philipino, Cambodians, Korean, Vietnamese, Indian, etc.