University of California-Los Angeles

« See more reviews of University of California-Los Angeles

Social life in the dorms vary according to where you live. If you live in the Halls, you tend to have more contact with your fellow floor mates, as you are forced to shower with them, pee with them and have bowel movements with them on a daily basis. Yes, they must share public bathrooms. If you live in a suite, you get your own private bathroom, so such poignant experiences are regrettably not possible. Most of the time though, the doors in the Halls or the Suites are open, (the halls, more often than in the suites, mind you) and facilitate and welcome socialization. Many times, students just hang out in the corridors or the floor lounge, which is technically for studying, but turns more into a common room of sorts. Sometimes, one room on the floor is informally designated as the "social room," possibly becuase of their T.V, xbox 360 elite, wii and playstation. Floors frequently go out on outings together (ours went to Pink's Hot Dog in Hollywood - I got the Ozzie Osbourne dog - it is amazing, you should try it with onion rings) or arrange other activities to do together; movie nights, karaoke nights and the like. Your sleeping schedule generally becomes extremely irregular during your stay at the dorms. People stay awake till dawn doing absolutely nothing, and becuase of this, you inevitably end up staying up till dawn doing absolutely nothing. It is rather hard to sleep when you hear other people chatting right outside your room eating pizza, and the walls are very thin. UCLA also invites many musicians, actors and speakers/comedians to come perform at Royce Hall, and students can obtain tickets to these events for a really good price. Ian McKellen came to play King Lear here, Tom Cruise came to speak, Joshua Bell came to play his violin as well as many others. Bill Clinton also came for a big event here, which was of course, open to all students. The students themselves also put on many really good performances. The Opera group once did Puccini's Gianni Schicchi and Suor Angelica which was thoroughly entertaining, even to my friends, who stated that "opera is not my cup of tea." Once you leave the dorms though you must make your own social life happen and this can include more than getting drunk at a random apartment on a Thursday night. Like I mentioned before, there is plenty to do in LA, and you can go watch and Opera (I enjoy opera. Maybe you noticed?), go to the theatre and watch a musical (Wicked, is really good) or take a drive down the Sunset strip. Also one can go to Santa Monica during the weekends to go shopping or do hang out on the beach or the pier.

I would say that all the groups like USAC and GenRep that focus on representing the student body and organizing campus events are pretty popular and competitive to get into. I am involved with ICARUS Contemporary Dance Company which is the most low key dance group- we practice about 6 hours a week and have on campus performances as well as exhibitions at some dance competitions around the area. There a tons of dance groups, most of them are hip hop, which I don't do, hence the involvement with ICARUS haha. I was a member of Best Buddies (a club to integrate those with intellectual disabilities) last year and am now in Active Minds (a club dedicated to erasing the stigma of mental illnesses and promote mental health). Athletic events are pretty popular, and tailgating with a group is always fun. Football games are easy to get to without a car because of a bus service you pay for with the Den Pass (if you plan on going to more than 2 football games or basketballs games, GET THE DEN PASS! it's so worth it, and you get a free shirt!). Now, the party scene- thursdays are insane. not really in a good way... basically, frats have a "quarterly" (huge themed party) each quarter, and they always happen on thursdays. So there are usually multiple quaterlies on each thursday since there are 19 frats and only 10 weeks a quarter. if you have friends in the frat, it's a lot more fun, but otherwise, it's just a huge sweaty cramped mess and you usually have to pre-game since they hide their good alcohol, and you need to show an id to BUY alcohol from their bar. Any other night is usually kickbacks at frats or parties at apartments. So you need to know people. Thursdays, you can walk into any frat and hope for the best haha. If parties aren't your scene, there are free movie nights at Ackerman grand ballroom or you can go into Westwood with some dorm friends and get Diddy Riese, or a restaurant, or shop. There is always something to do!

Activities and social life are what you make them here. You will have the opportunity to make 450 facebook friends in first quarter (I know someone who did!), go out and party, go to all your floor events, and never eat alone. On the other hand, if that's not your style, you don't have to go out, and you won't be disturbed. I find myself somewhere in the middle. I'm a pretty outgoing, social guy, but I do enjoy being alone sometimes. My main method of being social is becoming involved in activities. In fact, I fulfilled the goal I set for myself in high school (enterring college and getting involved in EVERYTHING) by joining chorale, Hillel, Kesher, Bruin Democrats, Scattertones A Cappella, floor government, ballroom dance, performing arts association, campus tours, and I forget what else. It all proved a bit much, especially with 18 units of classes, so I scaled it back the next quarter, but the point is, I COULD have done all that stuff if I had been able to handle it in some other universe. Frat life doesn't disturb, but it's pretty active and easily accessible. You don't have to drink to have fun with or in a frat. You also don't have to drink to be cool. I definitely didn't drink all of first quarter, and I still made friends and got involved in various communities easily. It's easy to make connections and join clubs and groups. There's an "enormous club fair" during the 1st week of the quarter where virtually every club/group gets a table on the field and students go around getting to know each other and signing up. The best thing about UCLA activities and social life is the fact that it's not as hard as you think to distinguish yourself in such a big place; you just have to be you.

As far as social life is concernced, UCLA has nearly everything covered. The dorm life for students is generally extremely close and many good friendships are developed early in the university career. Parties abound on Thursday nights, the unofficial party night for fraternities, and generally die off towards the weekend as many students from Southern California make their way home to do laundry or simply get home-cooked food. Outside of the drinking scene, UCLA is ideally located to take advantage of LA's sporting events, Hollywood clubs and any other productions apparent in the city. For those that cannot get around to everything in UCLA, the university also holds movie nights, theater screenings and a variety of other activities students can embrace if looking for activities to do. The campus generates a great sense of community by students identifying themselves both as UCLA students and USC-haters. The rivalry between USC and UCLA adds a unique element to interactions between groups in LA as almost everyone in LA following sports can be divided into one camp or the other. Overall, the unity on campus is extremely high and just being from UCLA is enough to bring two students together. Displays of campus unity are often seen and the campus generates a life of its own. One such example is the "undie run" which occurs every wednesday of finals week (three times a year) where students dressed only in their underwear run through campus at midnight for what amounts to massive party in the middle of UCLA's campus.

UCLA has a couple different kind of dorm arrangements. In the standard dorms, the students very often form very close associations with their hall mates. In some of the more secluded dorms, with a little more space for each room, the comradery doesn't really develop to the same extent. There is always some kind of event going on on campus, including orchestra performances, dance recitals, theater, celebrity concerts, comedy shows - the list could go on and on. Very often there are also free sneak previews of movies for the students. One of the events that happens every quarter around finals time is the undie run where people run through campus with nothing but their underwear on - this is a time-honored tradition :p Every year, UCLA is host to the Festival of Books where hundreds of book publishers come with their wares and thousands of people show up. Frats and sororities aren't really that big a deal here. But they are the ones who pretty much have the parties. If that's your kind of thing, then it's here for you. If you're not interested in drinking, there's the movie theaters down in Westwood and the Santa Monica pier and promenade to explore. Also, if you are interested in video games, lots of people seem interested in them here. At the moment, there is actually a worry about World of Warcraft and the amount of students actively participating in the game.

Greek life is a big thing, but for the most part, kids get phased out of that scene by their 2nd year I find. There is a big apartment party scene and I pretty much see the same people every weekend at these smaller, apartment parties. Athletic events are huge, especially bball and football and especially when we play SC. I hated dorm life but that it where I met my closest friends, and I was not very social in my dorm and got very tired of the experiene. I dont know much about the dating scene, random hookups seem the norm all over the world. The weekdays can be quite at night, as people are serious about studying, but my friends will randomly go out and party during the week. Welcome week is huge, espeically for freshman, and is accompanied by a big concert. Undie run is big, dance marathon, spring sing, but i havent participated in any of those. People party thursday-saturday night and parties get decreasingly more regular/crazy as midterms and finals sneak up. Last weekend I went to several parties, often a couple a night. I also went to a bar in westwood and visited some friends at USC and partied there. I have no idea what you could do on a saturday night that doesnt involve drinking-maybe a movie and dinner in westwood???? Off campus, i go to good LA restaraunts or bars or visit friends at other schools.

I guess some dumbass Korean Christian shit is pretty popular.. Maybe it's not. There is a lot of that goin' down on Bruinwalk though. I lived in sunset village when I was in dorms and that was pretty cool and I guess people left their doors bolted? Not always and they weren't wide open. But it was like a little community in B5 anyway so you could just knock and go hang out with someone. Athletic events are way popular and the people who attend them are broish and dumb as shit. Dating scene? I don't know about a SCENE. Since when is dating a SCENE? I met my closest friends in the dorms freshman year! Dance marathon happens each year and I don't give a fuck about it. Oh man how important are frats/sororities? Really important. Important in keeping sexism and inequality alive and healthy! It's really miserable that people buy into that shit. It really is a great way to encourage young men to think like date rapists (and act like them.. literally). Also the sorority girls are just being taught "their place", and how to impose that place upon other women as well. It makes me sick. It's still the weekend... I was in Las Vegas! Normally I don't drink on a saturday night though- I study/play video games/have a ton of hot sex (drunk sex is terrible)... you know.

It is really hard to find a "most" popular one because student body here is huge and there are countless options in clubs and activities. But generally speaking, athletic activities and various parties are popular among most people. Greek life is not that valued here as it is in private universities. A lot of students are not at all interested. On weekends, some people go home, some do the laundry and study, some hang out and have fun (there are good places to go in Westwood, Santa Monica, and downtown LA ), some just sleep. For example my roommate spends most of her weekends sleeping and the rest of time watching shows if she does not have homework to do. As far as I am concerned, I sometimes to to parties and club meetings.I spent most of my weekends studying and working in our most popular dinning hall on campus. I meet friends and talk to them by grabing meals and studying together. Because I love shopping and eating, I always try different stores and restaurants on and around campus.

The most popular student groups on campus are ethnicity-based organizations, though many other groups exist revolving around sports, hobbies, and other competitive events. I am involved with the rock climbing group on campus, and we don't do much other than frequent the rock wall at our fitness center! Students usually leave their dorm rooms open, and the residence halls are very social and friendly. My closest friends are a combination of high school friends and people I met on my dorm floor. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I'm probably playing poker with friends. Fun traditions include the bonfire rally before the USC football game, and the Undie Run during finals week each quarter. People party on a regular basis, with most parties revolving around the fraternity and sorority life. I spend all of my weekends working, but there are plenty of things to do when around campus. There is a whole city just off campus, with lots of food, entertainment, and stuff to do.

Fraternities, sororities. BASKETBALL! Colleges against cancer: plans relay for life, helps fight cancer, woot, woot Yes! Athletic events are king. Guest speakers and Theater each have their niche. Dating scene: pretty active. Guaranteed someone will try and pick you up in each of your classes. On my dorm floor last year-- they knew the Notre Dame football score when I asked. It was love. Studying for my Abnormal Psychology midterm! Undie Run, Beat 'SC week, the Gauntlet, Black Sunday, Welcome Week, SPRING SING! Pretty much every night; there's always a party if you're looking for it. Mediocre importance. Last weekend I had to go home for medical issues... Saturday night: MOVIES! generally there's a concert on campus for under $20, Diddy Reise, a lot of our lives center around food. And there's great food nearby. Clubs are a little farther, but if you're willing to work for them, they're fantastic