University of California-Los Angeles

« See more reviews of University of California-Los Angeles

UCLA has history and a legacy of everything that a public university should have: the dedication of staff, faculty, and especially the involvement of students in shaping that history. UCLA is an academic institution, but throughout our history, students have stepped up and demanded more from their experience. Every year, hundreds of student organizations function with different interests, providing everyone an opportunity to get involved. At UCLA, students have rallied and protests for education, went on hunger strikes for Ethic Studies, creating concrete change by utilizing the Student Body Council to their potential.

It usually doesn’t take much for me to impress when I tell people I am a student at UCLA. The prestige of UCLA is embedded in its name, but this university is far more valuable than its reputation alone. UCLA is the home of booming campus life, students eager to make a difference, tremendous spirit, unquestionable sense of community, and much more. Academics is only one of the various famed aspects of this school. What UCLA has to offer goes far beyond the realm of merely providing higher education; students’ experiences here build foundations that will stay for life.

What don't I brag about? The weather, the local food, the school spirit, and the amazing workout I get walking to the class - these are all perks of attending UCLA, but the thing I brag about most are the professors. The professors here are witty (sometimes a bit dry, but still funny), brilliant, and yet still completely approachable. I never walked about of a class without a new fact or theory that I couldn't wait to share and discuss with my friends. Office hours were a hundred times more exciting than spotting a celebrity at the local cafe.

Our school is primarily focused on research and career-based opportunities that concentrate on pushing students to excel both academically and extracurricularly. A very large majority of students on campus eventually progress to graduate school, medical school or law school, or join the work force to become successful businessmen and businesswomen. In addition, our school's athletics are a huge part of our school spirit, and the variety of on-campus clubs and activities allow for as much artistic, athletic and social diversity as possible.

UCLA is breathtakingly beautiful. Even if I walk out of a class feeling terrible because I bombed an exam, the fresh greenery and the brilliant sunshine cheers me up immediately. The food is top notch as well. My favorites include the red velvet pancakes, Korean barbeque ribs with rice, clam pasta, and chicken noodle soup. But students have, quiet literally, over hundreds of options per meal, considering that UCLA has four dining halls and several cafes. And the best of all? The diverse, welcoming, genuine, and talented student body!

We're so close to Westwood and public transportation that can take us to Santa Monica, Beverley Center, and Downtown Los Angeles. Also, uur food is delicious (ranked in the top ten for college food). I also like our residential area because the buildings are nice and grouped near each other. You get a real sense of community when you live on-campus. There is also a really good balance between academics and social life. The classes teach you a lot and challenge you, but you can also go out and have fun with friends on the weekends.

I would tell how the school is extremely friendly and diverse allowing many chances to learn about other people and their backgrounds. I like to elaborate on how one can interact with people from so many nations and religions. It showcases the school as the breeding ground for global interdependence and cooperation between different groups. I find this to be one the most shining factors about UCLA, especially with all the students being polite and sociable, making the campus a welcoming and safe environment for all students.

The year I was accepted, their were over 55,000 applicants, the most of any college in the country. UCLA is the first college ever to win over 100 NCAA championships. Beyond the school's renowned academics and research, my school is regularly chosen as the location for many popular television and movie sets. Love the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air? Or maybe you're a fan of comedies like Legally Blonde or Old School? Well guess what? My campus is home to a majority of those scenes and episodes! Best of all, I am a Bruin for life.

I almost always point out the quality of the academic side of the school, which to say the least is world class, the range of opportunities that are available to achieve a variety of goals,both personal and career driven. School sports, would be another major point I would throw out, given that we have amazing school spirit, and commanding teams. Finally I would mention the quality of the social life that is present on, and off campus. From social events to get togethers, there is always a good vibe that is always evident.

When I brag to my friends about UCLA, the first thing I would tell them is how many diverse individuals there are, and how interacting with them can enlighten you and change your perception on life. You can learn through each person on this campus about their own knowledge on a particular subject and of their cultural backgrounds. During my first 3 months at UCLA, I was able to learn to say hello in fifteen different languages. I learned more of diverse linguistics in three months at UCLA than I have my entire life prior.