University of California-Los Angeles

« See more reviews of University of California-Los Angeles

The worst thing about UCLA is a very difficult question to answer, because UCLA has many great qualities. Although the population of students that attend UCLA is a difficult aspect to get used to. Major lecture halls can consists of up to 200 students and this inconvenience limits the amount of one-on-one interaction students can have with the professors. The struggle does not stop in the lecture halls, but continues onto the disscussion sections where classes are also made up large sum of 30. It is a struggle to establish personal relationships with both professors and T.As.

I have realized that there is a great disparity in the quality of the professorial staff at the university. During my last quarter, the first and worst, I was taught by quite brilliant people; however, they failed to effectively "profess" what they knew and were to teach. Moreover, the professors were hard to reach and inapproachable outside of the classroom. In contrast, this quarter, I have what I believe to be the best of the teaching staff. Therefore, I question what the university's standards for employing one in the teaching staff is and why this disparity exists.

The hardest part is signing up for classes. With the budget cuts, smaller and fewer lectures means that students can't be sure that they’ll have their perfect schedule because many classes will fill up even before their designated enrollment time. As a freshman, unless you have lots of units from AP credit or community college classes taken while still in high school, you’ll have the least priority. I have taken some classes with some professors that I did not plan for nor liked according to reviews; however, I ended up enjoying some and meeting my best friends.

The worst thing about my school is the diversity between lower class and upper class students, financially. Sometimes, you might think that are well-off financially have no respect for other students. Another bad thing about UCLA is just the people. People here are just so snobbish and stupid. The professors are so absorbed in research and they are not willing to help any student who needs help. I think they care more about getting paid the end of the month rather than teaching and helping the students. The campus is kind off not safe also because it's big.

UCLA seems to expect its students to fall into the mob mentality when it comes to school spirit and many students, myself included, are only happy to comply. Rather than self inspecting and identifying the aspects of the university that the Bruin community can work to improve upon, the administration seems bent on taking the easier way out and focusing on the achievements Bruins have already accomplished and are expected to maintain. While it's important to work against a lapse in current excellence, a myopic focus on celebrating it prevents progress.

The worst thing about UCLA is the racist climate, at times, made by predominantly culturally-insensitive caucasian students towards minority racial and religious groups. This has been the topic of debate the past years I have been there since there has been numerous racially charged incidents and the chancellor has either dismissed these claims or addressed them in a passive and non-impactful manner. Besides these incidents I love being at UCLA I just wish students were more culturally and religiously aware without being so judgemental and ignorant.

The worst thing about my school is the large class size. As an undegraduate student, your first two years consists of 200-400 student lecture halls. The only time you get an opportunity to meet the professor is during office hours. By attending the lecture, you are unable to get a sense of what the professor is trying to teach. In addition it is often difficult to sign up for classes you need for your major because there are so many students enrolling at once. Its discouraging to see your classes close when you need it to the most.

The worst thing about my school is the lack of ethnic and racial diversity. The majority of the student population is comprise of Caucasians and Asians, which often tend to stick to the their own ethnic group in both social and academic settings. As a Hispanic of lower socioeconomic status, I find it a challenge to engage with these students becase we come from very different communities and culture. Because of the majority of the student population being Caucasian or Asian, I can rarely find people of my own ethnicity to relate to.

My school is very large; I come from a high school of fifteen hundred students, and now I attend a university with tens of thousands of undergraduates and all of the feelings of a large school. I was told that involvement in student organizations can make the school seem smaller and more personal; I am now a member of one organization and an officer of two others, but the school still feels incomprehensibly big. There is an impersonality to any group of people of such magnitude, but for some reason, it is accentuated at my school.

I honestly couldn't name a bad thing about this college. Some people don't like the large class sizes (many are upwards of 200 students), but I think that offers students a chance to meet more people and be exposed to more ideas from their classmates. Some would also complain that the counselors aren't extremely helpful at this public school, however to that I would say that it forces you to be proactive. The counselors don't hold your hand, so you have to take your education and future into your own hands, which can be rewarding.