University of California-Los Angeles

« See more reviews of University of California-Los Angeles

A UCLA student should be someone who takes his/her academic and professional success very seriously, but who also know how to have fun; students at UCLA tend to be very intelligent and hard-working in their respective fields while also maintaining a well-rounded social and extra-curricular life. Somone who attends UCLA should be able to navigate courses and requirements somewhat independently, as classes are large and counselors are not asssigned to individuals; he or she should not expect to have his/her hand held throughout the academic experience. Finally, someone who attends UCLA should have school pride.

There is no specific kind of person that should attend UCLA. Rather, UCLA encourages diversity and variance in identity. What I found was most beautiful about UCLA was that it was impossible to place all the students into one category. I remember walking onto the campus for the first time and I remember seeing the variety of races and personalities. There seemed to be a club or organization that would include and accept every kind of person. Therefore, there is no limit to who should apply or dream to attend UCLA because whoever they are they will be welcomed.

Somebody who is looking for a nurturing, large, diverse student body and campus should attend the University of California, Los Angeles. There are activities to partake of everyday and a seemingly unlimited number of clubs and organizations you can participate in. Someone who is looking to explore one's possibilities and hopefully find one's niche in the university as well as the larger world community should attend UCLA. The campus is huge. You will meet people from all sorts of back grounds and places like Germany, China, the American Midwest, to name a few.

Prospective UCLA students should be willing to step out of their comfort zones to try new things. The college years are the perfect time to do so, and UCLA provides a wide array of activities, clubs, opportunities for those who either already have an active interest in something, or for those who are still unsure of their interests and would like to try a little bit of everything. That said, students should also be working toward certain academic or post-graduation goals. It's a balancing act, but it would be a shame to let these opportunities go to waste.

Aside from the stereotypical list of being hardworking, dedicated, outgoing, etc. that seems to be a prerequisite to any college, I believe that someone who wants to attend UCLA should be willing to keep an open and active mind. One of the major advantages to such a large school is that there are a myriad of new roads that you may not have considered before. Nothing is handed on a platter, but actively questioning and searching will ensure a much more rich college experience, and make all the work and money that is dedicated to those programs meaningful.

The University of California-Los Angeles is a school for anyone who is willing to take their education into their own hands. What I am trying to say in this statement is that at such a large school, it is important to take charge and make good use of all the opportunities given to its students. But the education being offered here is world class to say the least. UCLA is ranked among to top 10 public schools in the country and has world renowned research programs. The best opportunities are there, one just has to find them.

A person who is academically focused and ready to work for his/her education should attend this school. The classes are extremely tough, but you learn a lot and feel accomplished when you graduate. A student that attends UCLA should also be self-motivated both in the classroom and in the real world. There are a lot of students at this university so it is difficult to make a lot of close friends, but if you are open-minded and willing to socialize with others, you can meet a lot of great people and lifelong friends.

To attend UCLA, especially in the math and science departments, you must have a drive for success. You must be motivated to do more than you ever thought you could do to master the material that is presented to you. You will work hard but alas there is a balance to this work because like many other large universities there are plenty of things to do to have fun. From partying on frat row, to climbing rock walls in the Wooden center, to watching movie premieres with movie stars in Westwood, there is plenty to be done.

UCLA is a diverse community that allows social interactions from students of many different ethnicities. Thus, any student can attend this university and be able to enjoy their stay here. For those who are very sociable, new students can easily integrate into the UCLA student body. For those who have shy personalities, they can easily find a group in UCLA that serves their interests. The only type of student that UCLA may not be fit for is the one who enjoys small student bodies, as UCLA is a large public school.

Determination. Confidence. Talent. These are characteristics of a true Bruin. I may not be the brightest student, but I can say with confidence that I have determination. Of all the courses I took fall quarter, chemistry provided the greatest challenge. However, I studied harder for that class than any other class I had ever taken. I learned that perseverance is a key virtue to have, which is more important to me than a grade. A person, not necessarily the smartest, with perseverance should attend this school.