University of California-Los Angeles

« See more reviews of University of California-Los Angeles

A UCLA student should not consist of slothful traits that does not prioritize his/her academics. Someone who is not passionate and does not have personal aspirations that UCLA can help achieve should not attend this institution. One who does not demonstrate the ability to maintain a high academic G.P.A while participating in extra curricular activities is also an unqualified contestant. UCLA is an institution that values personal growth through the use of resources. A student who does not take advantage of opportunities and resources presented to them should not expect academic or personal growth while attending UCLA.

For students that are interested in "south campus" majors, or math and science majors, the pace of the curriculum is difficult to adjust to. I would suggest that students who read and work slowly or who need individual attention in order to succeed would have a hard time at UCLA. There is a certain level of independent efficacy in terms of study habits and time management skills that students need in order to survive the intense classes. This is especially relevant to those pusuing a medical profession because all of the pre-med classes are very cut-throat.

People who don't like big crowds and lecture halls of about 300 students should not attend UCLA. There are about 30,000 undergraduates and the campus is extremely diverse. So if you're very close minded, you should also not attend this school. Those who do not like big cities would not appreciate what Los Angeles has to offer as well those who can't handle 70 degree weather everyday. If you expect to party every night and never study, don't come to UCLA. This school is full of overachievers who party moderately on weekends, not every night.

UCLA is definitely a school for the focused individual. The academic paths here are endless and would be overwhelming to anyone uncertain of their goals. Any student seeking to simply receive a diploma and enter the workforce would not benefit from the majority of what UCLA has to offer. Faculty expect students to be active professionals, as they themselves are, and students who are not afraid to carve their own career path would do well at UCLA. Conversely, those who shy from these challenges would most likely not find success here.

I really think anyone has the potential to go to UCLA and succeed if they are driven and dedicated. If you are motivated, have passion, are focused, are inspired by city life, are proud and spirited, and love to have fun, then you should attend this school! Other than the competitive-drive of academics, the school is very spirited, and it is located in the city, so unless you do not like high-energy atmospheres or cannot handle the high-pressure to do well, then maybe consider another school that is more relaxed in that context.

Everyone can get something out of the school and also contribute back. However, sometimes students who are really closed-minded perhaps should not attend UCLA, because the campus needs students who are ready to learn, with questions that they could not ask in high school. As a community, UCLA is pretty tolerant, and values free speech that was hard-won by the Free Speech Movement in the 1960s. If a student is unwilling to contribute to the community of knowledge and action, then he or she should think twice about coming.

Those who are not academically driven should not attend this school. I know of several students who will study on weekends and make little parties of them, and if one is not willing to devote sometime to their future career by investing thoughtfully in education, he or she should not attend this school. Having said that, there are a lot of resources to help one in classes, so this school is basically for everyone. Furthermore, I would testify to a high degree of diversity (in race, interests, views, etc.) on campus.

A person who should not attend this school is one who is lazy and takes this school for granted. Someone who will not work hard and someone who does not know where he/she is going. It is definitely valid to come in undeclared and not know what to major, but when I refer to somone who does not know where he/she is going, I am referring to those who are extremely lost and do not know what they what to do with their lives in general. More specifically, those who are emotionally and physically unprepared for college.

If you're the type of person who is looking for an academically nurturing environment, in which professors and administrators are willing to hold your hand through the learning process, then UCLA is not the place for you. Here, you are sure to participate in fascinating, cutting-edge research and attend classes taught by some of the most intelligent and successful people in their fields. However, it's a bit of a sink-or-swim environment, which can be a little overwhelming for timid students.

People attending UCLA have a strong will to succeed not only in the classroom but as active members of society. To attend a school like UCLA, one must be passionate, focused, determined, and ready to balance schoolwork alongside community involvement. You must be open-minded and ready to hear stories that will change your perspective. Alongside the astounding curriculum is the opportunity to get involoved in volunteer-work, culture groups, and reserach labs- the opportunity to find yourself.