University of California-Los Angeles

« See more reviews of University of California-Los Angeles

There's a lot of bureaucracy and it can be frustrating when trying to get something you need. Recently, IThere's a lot of bureaucracy and it can be frustrating when trying to get something you need. Recently, I?ve had problems with financial aid screwing up my academic satisfactory progress which placed a hold on my account and made me ineligible for financial aid. It took me three visits to the financial aid office for their staff to realize they screwed up. The screw up was a miscommunication between the admissions department and the financial aid department. Unfortunately, this is not a rare situation I've experienced this type of negligence almost every time I've sought assistance.

Actually, I don?t find anything frustrating about my school. Yes, I experience frustration, but I don?t actually blame anything within the school for it. My personal philosophy is that my external environment is simply my internal worldview projected outwards. If something in my environment makes me uncomfortable, it?s because there is something within myself that I'm uncomfortable with. I feel that frustration is a sign that inner expectations need to be adjusted to match reality; changing circumstances that don?t serve my highest interests is much easier when I begin by acknowledging the way things are.

I often feel as if students are constantly settling— from relationships, to courses offered, to campus dynamic. Many are selfish and keep to themselves. Others' problems are not their own. Although we advertise ourselves as the pinnacle of “diversity”, this is not synonymous with inclusivity. Often times, everyone of their own ethnic/racial group will only interact with each other, creating little pods of division. Even amongst minority groups, there is a clique-type atmosphere. From how queer you are to how Taiwanese you are, it’s difficult to find your niche in a campus of >40,000 students.

Students here tend to be indifferent towards those which they do not believe to be advantageous to have a relationship with in regards to future prospects. Also, housing prices supplied by UCLA are ridiculously expensive for the limited space supplied. Three people are set to a room twice the size of a jail-cell. Consequently, the prices of apartment housing around the UCLA area are driven up and those that come from low income communities are unable to afford it. Therefore, there is a low amount of diversity in regards to economical and racial backgrounds.

One of the most frustrating things about the University of California system in general, is the rising costs. It is becoming more ridiculous to finance an education at a UC, considering the many budget cuts. I wish there were more cuts in the salaries of some of the UC Regents, some of whom range in the 6 digits. There also needs to be more transparency, especially in regards to funding and money. In general, there is a need to redistribute and reprioritize where we spend our money in California. We spend more money on our prison systems than our schools.

I prefer focusing on the positive opportunities at Ucla. I love how there are libraries to go & a beautiful hill to go to study. There are great professors that listen to my questions and are eager to offer help. It is astonishing that there are 1000+ clubs to attend to cultivate my interests in the business & medical field. Overall, I love every aspect of Ucla, there is so much to love, that the only fustrating thing is that there is so much competitition. Though there may be competition, I find this essential because it encourages me to work hard.

The most frustrating thing about UCLA is the work load and difficult professors for Life Science Majors. All students seeking a profession in the medical field suffer with heavy work loads and challenging science professors. I love UCLA but it is frustrating to see other students having fun and going out while you continue sitting on your desk finishing homework and studying for the next test. Another thing that is frustrating about my school is how large the school is. Lectures have so many students making it harder for one-on-one communication.

The most frustrating thing about UCLA is that you are forced to take courses that you are not interested in to satisfy your core requirements before you can begin taking courses for your major. I understand the concept of having a well-rounded education and trying out different fields, especially for those students that don't know what they want to major in. However, for the students like myself, who have known exactly what they want to do for a very long time, it seems like a waste of time and money to take courses that are completely unrelated.

The most frustrating thing about my school is probably the extreme liberal mentality that the students embody. I've always been more of a moderate when it comes to politics, and it frustrates me that people don't open up their minds to the fact that although there are social issues to care about, we also need to think about the economy. Students here often tend to go with bandwagon liberal thinking rather than researching political facts and statistics to influence their political beliefs and decisions.

The most frustrating thing about UCLA is not being able to get into the classes that you would like. If you are a freshmen, you are last to enroll behind and have to pretty much watch as the classes that you need/would like to take fill up before your eyes. You have to take the risk of going on waitlists sometimes, which is frustrating knowing that you may or may not end up in the class and must simply wait up to 2 weeks constantly checking if someone has dropped the course and a spot has opened up