University of California-Merced Top Questions

Verenize

The best thing about my school is the sense of "community" and "family" here. At UC Merced, it feels as if everyone is out here to help you in any way they can. Since it is still considered to be a small campus, the interaction on campus between people is a major plus.

The best thing about my school I would say is the environment. The school is located next to a lake and there it is surrounded by so much open space. Its nice to drive to school in less than half an hour and not worry about traffic. Also with the schools location its nice to be able to just be outside and just be able to think because it is quiet and serene. Also with the school being small its like this tight community and the people on campus are very helpful. The people are very nice.

In my opinion, the best thing at my school is the fact that class sizes are much smaller and more intimate than at larger universities. i think that this is the best thing at my school because it offers more recourses to students who might be struggling. It allows students and professors to get to know each other better and to have much more one on one time with eachother in order to enhance your over all learning experience at the school. It also allows students to gain a more personal relationship with fellow classmates as well.

Azucena

The best thing about University of California, Merced would be the size of the campus. The campus was barely opened in 2005 and it is still a fairly small campus with some advancements. The size of the campus means that the population of the school is also rather small, between 3,000-5,000. And the student to teacher ratio is great! 15:1 in many cases. That means that the professors are ready to give any help they can.

The professors are very helpful, and classroom sizes are smaller. The campus is very friendly and social.

Juliane

I would have to say the reseach opportunities that are avaialable to Freshman. It is very common for a Freshman to start his/her own research as a freshman. Also, the teachers are always willing to help with getting grants and funding for the students. It is really beneficial especially in todays economy to start research early and UC Merced makes that option available to its students.

asher

The learning environment is small and engaging yet it packs a diversity rarely seen anywhere else in terms of culture, background, and ideology. Its a unique place to meet people, and being stuck somewhere between a cow patch and the sorry-state-of-a-zoo, you start to get to talking and get in on the jokes.

Kimdy

The best thing is all the social aspects of living in dorms. We have the oppritunity to emerse ourselves within campus culture as well as student life. All types of bonding occur, and sparks of new lives are born.

Myra

I think that the best thing about my school is that it's small. It's still a growing campus, but this is the perfect time for me to be attending this school. I like the fact that I feel like I can get to know my professors, and they can get to know me. I won't just be a student ID number on a professor's list. I also think that having small classes is better because then we can have discussions, and I can get to know all of my classmates well.

The size of the school, allows for better relastionships with professors and other students.

maria

The classroom sizes are the best

Valery

The best thing about my school is the opportunity it gives the students to engage in undergraduate research because we have such a rigorous research program here in which most professors are all currently still actively working in their own fields. I feel that this also positively impacts their influence and enthusiasm in their classes. The research I am involved in brings scholastic experience and skill in a fusion with real world, hands on experience which is unheard of at many un, and gives me a more enjoyable academic experience.

being small. and being far away from big cities

The best thing about UC Merced is that it's new, so we, the students, decide where it will go. We have many opportunities to do new things and to start new things, and someone usually takes them. My name is on two club constitutions, because I helped start them: something not many can say. The campus is also still small, which allows me to talk to professors face-to-face, and they are on the leading edge of technology and research. The school is changing me into what I will become, but I'm helping change it too.

zi

great professors