University of California-Merced Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of California-Merced

Shelley

University of California - Merced is a good school. The student body is small compared to the other University of California campuses but it is very diverse and the students are friendly. I feel like I am learning a lot. My classes are challenging but rewarding.

Kim

My overall opinion is still growing, that is because I just completed a year at Merced. However, I really enjoy the campus and the people. I like how communicative everyone is and respectful everyone is towards each other. Because we are a diverse group of people, misunderstandings could appear amongst nervous brand new days and frustrations through difficulties. Yet, every person tries their best and for a lot of people, tries their best to prove a different party wrong about themselves. Merced is like another home to me. Being a Bobcat is surprisingly has a sort of ever-lasting determination feeling. That is my opinion as of now. We'll have to see about my second year.

Aurora

I am genuinely grateful for the classes and research I have been able to take at this university. I honestly am amazed by how people can help each other out so easily. Professors are there during their office hours and the math center, writing center, PALS, and all of the extra help programs have helped me pass my classes. I feel welcomed and capable to succeed here, especially since I am surrounded by a diverse community of students and I know exactly what my professors expect of me. I enjoy the college "feel" here and being around the new buildings each year.

Michelle

UC Merced is a fairly new university compared to other universities, but has proven to me to be a school that truly cares about their students and their education. I feel personally feel safe on the campus which is important to me especially because I have a night class and I have to take the bus. Overall, I'm happy to be a student at UCM.

Onasis

It is a great University with great opportunities. I mostly mind the amount of opportunities out there, and I'm able to find them all here. There are other factors that are important to different individuals, but once again if you're looking for a place to learn and grow as an individual, UC Merced can provide that.

Savannah

This campus is new and innovative. All of the facilities are very modern and research is great and there is plenty of opportunities to get involved and participate in research and extracurricular activities. I really like the class sizes. None that I have had exceed 300 students. The professors are all very passionate and intellectual in their fields of teaching. Additionally, all professors are to do research as well as teach, which is amazing.

Lovepreet

I am a first year at UC Merced and will be beginning my fall semester in the next week. I have visited the campus a few times and does not seem hard to navigate. The small class sizes have an appeal to those who prefer a more interactive part in the classroom.

Christian

I believe the University of California Merced is a good campus and a good place for many young adults who wish to further their education to attend. My only real complaint is the lack of city life is not present. I come from a big city in San Francisco and Merced does not offer that environment.

Eva

Great school, small enough so you can get to know people, but big enough that you can find a place to fit in. Class sizes are on the smaller side and I have found that you can always get help on academics either from peers, TAs, or professors. Some downsides: it does get ridiculously hot during the summer, and the school is located in a smaller city so there is not much around.

Priscilla

When first visiting UC Merced, the first impression it gives is how small the campus is compared to other well known Universities in California. What I love about UC Merced is the countless opportunities of doing research, publishing, going to conferences, etc. It's as simple as asking a question a professor and you're on the road to million more opportunities.

Priscilla

Jesus

UC Merced is a really wonderful university. It wasn't my first choice when I was applying to universities, but choosing to attend this institution was one of the best decisions I've ever made! One of the best characteristics of this school is the fact that it is so small and size. You see familiar faces everywhere and are able to find or establish a tight-knit community of friends and classmates easily. For the most part, the professors are all extremely friendly and encourage their students to reach out to them in office hours. The biggest downside isn't location or its reputation; it is the lack of quality and variety of food for on-campus students.

Alex

I love the atmosphere that UC Merced has to offer. Everyone here is extremely friendly and you're sure to find your niche on campus. There are things to do off campus but you have to know how to look for them .The city is getting bigger with opportunities everyday and the campus is brand new and still expanding. By 2020 it will be the UC with the largest campus but the fewest amount of students; to keep the class sizes small and personal. UC Merced was definitely not my first choice of school but I definitely DO NOT regret it. I've made my lifelong friends here and met so many amazing people. I thank the school for teaching me how to grow and find myself as an individual.

Julius

The moment I stepped foot into my first class during my freshmen year I immediately knew that Merced is where I belonged. The University’s faculty is what makes it so amazing. For the first time in my life I feel challenged mentally, and I’m surrounded by professors that genuinely want to see me succeed. My professors take the time to get to know me as a person and they are now mentors I can rely on. Apart from the professors Merced is also a place filled with opportunities and a place where students get an abundance of research opportunities. Although the campus is currently smaller compared to the other UCs, I have no doubt that Merced will continue to grow until it’s one of the most recognizable universities in the country.

Destini

Although Merced, California is located in what one would consider “the middle of nowhere” or “next to the cows”, UC Merced is not dead. One of the most common stories students share about their experiences at UCM is how they were planning on transferring out sophomore year, me included, yet you’d see them around campus being engaged in their clubs and research once they stopped being a hermit in their dorms and eventually walking across the graduation stage as a proud bobcat. After attending the university for a year, I didn’t know what to expect because it was 5 hours away from home and I didn’t have any relatives in the heart of Central California to help me familiarize myself with the city. Luckily, I took the opportunity to grow with the city and explored the campus’ culture and resources. Working in the Information of Technology’s Special Events department and joining a professional pre-health fraternity have displayed the diversity of the campus’ student demographics and have given me a deeper understanding that the students are what make a university prestigious, not the other way around.

Azameet

UC Merced has grown a tremendous amount since it's opening in 2005. A lot of people overlook it being in the central valley and far away from more populated cities but it has a lot to offer it's students, especially in academics and research. UC Merced's goal by Fall 2020 is to grow the campus to a student population of 10,000 , which they are on the road to achieving with all the new buildings set to be completed by this summer of 2020. Merced is also known for giving a ton of money back in financial aid grants which is another great offer. The staff and professors here want you to grow and be prepared for the opportunities you'll receive at this institution.

Bertha

I have no problem whatsoever with the actual school. I think it is fantastic and has a great atmosphere. I get such a good vibe from UC Merced. It is also very modern and it is only going to get better. It is expanding rapidly.

Isabel

UC Merced is a place that many may underestimate. They provide services that offer many opportunities towards your specific career which I find helpful. They are expanding their facilities by creating a biology department, considering there is a high demand of students who want to pursue their dreams in the medical field. UC Merced listens to the students demands and they do what they can to meet those expectations. The atmosphere is like no other. The students and staff are enthusiastic and supportive like a family.

Yer

My overall opinion of the University of California, Merced is that its one of the newest UC campus. Don't let that fool you because there are many opportunities that the school offers students.Although the school is in the middle of nowhere, it makes a good place to learn and see what the town has to offer for college students.The university is not a party institution so don't expect much from it. It's more of a college town for students who want to live here and attend school. Even though it is a smaller university, you will come to see its beauty and welcome it as your home for the next 4 years.Being from a younger university has its perks because you have a smaller class size, the campus is walking distance, and getting to know your professors. The school has many opportunities available for students who are looking for an internship or a job. It's a good school if you want to focus on your academics and gain a newer experience of what college is about. The school could potentially be for you if you want to go to a university in California and still get the experience of college, then apply for it.

This is a go to school for anyone who is interested in the sciences, however, if you are not applying for a science-related or engineering-related major, I do not recommend attending here since it has become increasingly difficult to be able to enroll for the courses you need for your major.

Arissa

I love UC Merced because it is small enough to walk to classes and other activities. Plus, I see my friends and the same faces every day, unlike a huge University where you never run into the same person twice! It has a "country" atmosphere, away from the hussle and bustle, which I really like also. The teachers are great and the classes are small enough for me!

Esmeralda

If you are an individual who enjoys city-life, going out with friends, and overall enjoys night life, UCM is NOT for you. But if you are someone who enjoys small-town things and appreciates what it has to offer, UCM might be for you. From personal experience, I am a big city person, and thus I had to find out the hard way that UCM was indeed not the scene for me. But it might be for you!

Manuel

The school is extremely beautiful and just something different that cannot be offered by any other UC campus. We are literally a 5 minute walk to a park and a huge lake to relax and enjoy ourselves from the campus. The teachers are always available for you no matter the circumstance since we are about a 20 to 1 student-teacher ratio. The campus is continuously expanding with daily construction. Although no need to worry, the construction will never interfere with your education. The campus is extremely clean, always has something going on to keep students interactive with others, and everyone is a loving community.

Tommy Lee

UC Merced is a relatively new campus especially compared to the other UCs and the atmosphere of the campus is reflective of that. There is are always signs of construction in progress of new facilities. Faculty members encouraged student to be apart of the school's foundation by starting programs such as clubs, recreational sports, and etc. However because of such, many existing programs feel, some existing only as long as the previous year. They have minimal funding and rely on membership contribution to thrive until they get big. Academically speaking there are smaller classes with professors that act more like teachers and instructors. They really get to know their students and offer their support wherever they can. There are also plenty of facilities that offer free school supplies, such as scan-trons, and support to improve writing and build good study habit. Life off campus seems is very quite with not much to do or get excited for. Aware of such, the school holds events on campus in the evening and on weekends. However these events are few and far between; ignoring those associated with a particular organization( primarily being fraternities and sororities). All and all the school fuels academic success by giving plenty of opportunities to be involved in something new as well as providing various ways to support students. However not much entertainment exists so boredom is sure to strike without some good friends to talk to.

Allison

I love UC Merced. Whether it be the stimulating conversations in the classrooms or the friendly staff and students, I could not have asked for more in a college. I would not have gone anywhere else. Overall, I would recommend UC Merced to anybody that is looking to go here

melany

So far I have enjoyed my time at UC Merced. I have grown and aspire to continue growing and I do not see myself doing so anywhere else but at UC Merced.

Ereday

I was interested in UC Merced because it was regarded as a tight-knitted community among the students. When I began my journey at the school I immediately saw why it was viewed like that. There is various events you can get involved socially and academically. The student body is friendly and encourages each other to participate in events to help improve not only the school but the world. We are ecofriendly and care greatly for the environment, aiming for sustainability. Overall, the school is great for those who love to make connections and actively participate in events.

Brenda

Great teachers, easier to get into classes. Accommodating. It is easy to meet up with teachers as well as make new friends. Nice environment. Hard to find jobs close by. Nice place to explore and try new things. Dorms are nice and clean. Food can be better as it does get boring to eat after a while.

Gregorio

It’s a very new school that’s still very much in it’s growing stages as is aperent with its small size and their 2020 plan. With that said they take pride being in their area as the school does show that they are trying to reach more people that would normally not go to pursue further education.

The University of California, Merced is relatively new with all the facilities being state of the art and most importantly eco-friendly. There are many clubs and organizations here from Model U.N. to the fencing club. The class sizes range from 20 students to 120. The professors hold regular office hours and the university provides many academic resources such as peer tutoring for those who need additional assistance. Above all, it is because this particular university happens to be dedicated to research, providing research opportunities to its undergraduates, that I maintain a positive opinion of this institution.

Cifriana Mina

As a college freshman attending the school, I don't have any solid opinions of the school overall. However, from what I experienced I could say that the school does its job well when it comes to education, and it is a nice community. There are people who are willing to talk and there are many opportunities to find a group for you.

Jasmanjit

University of California-Merced is one of the newer UC's. The professor here are more one on none with the students. The class sizes aren't big which is a plus. The campus is pretty new and it feels very safe. Overall UC Merced is a really good school.

Adrian

The school is good in academics, but overall, the whole "college experience" is not there. The school is very new, so it has a lot of expanding to do. As a freshman transferring out to another university, it is not the best campus, but academics are amazing. I have had two of the greatest teachers ever in my first year of college, and they're more than accessible. Office hours are clearer than ever in Merced.

Vanessa

the only thing that I do not like is the lack of responsibility of some professors that cancel classes whenever they feel like it without regard to the needs of the students.I'm attending summer school and my second class of summer was just cancelled with such a lame excuse that not even a five year old would believe it.It hurts because I had to pay 3700 dollars for 3 summer classes

Denylson

UC Merced is a great school to go to the ambiance of the whole place is very welcoming and friendly. A huge amount of resources that can be used to help you on your journey to your career. I have only been in the school for one semester and I am already excited what will come in the future for me and for the school.

I think the school is okay overall. There are some things I do not like about it, like the fact that there's not much to do around here and the counseling they provide for students for when they want to speak to someone or even the food choices given to us in the dining hall.

Antonio

The University of California-Merced is a wonderful and pleasing university to attend because of the vast options to travel, study, and the environment in general is very pleasing. The campus has lots of choices to sit under a tree or even just go for a walk. The class rooms are adequately small and are great for a small learning environment for someone looking for one on one with the teacher. In my opinion, the subject that fascinated me the most was their engineering program. Although, UC Merced is a growing and small campus, the amount of support they are getting to have a program become so well know is amazing. The engineering program is a strong growing program that compares to those of an Ivy league which is magnificent.

Kim

The classes are average sizes which are great in my opinion, but some professors don't know how to teach even though they know the subject. The campus is still improving so there are fewer opportunities for volunteering, but it should expand in the next few years.

Josue

a great experince, it was just a very fun time many activities. Many fun people to be around just great place to be. Everyone feels safe there and the place is amazing. you really get to klnow everyone there. just a very good experince. UC Merced is such a great school.

Esperanza

UCMERCED is the school to go to when you live in a compacted neighborhood. It can be exciting and fun but I also love how its peaceful it is. We have a beautiful lake in our backyard that we can go to and ride jet skis etc. The small problem is that you will need a car to get yourself around town but thats okay.

Naarah

I've always hated school, but I love school at UC Merced. The professors are reasonable and understanding. The staff genuinely cares about the students and there are so many opportunities there as it continues to grow in a variety of ways. It's also the perfect size for someone like me. (a bit over 6,000 I believe)

Annabella

UC Merced is not that bad, it can definitely be more active in regards to "college life" and events. I believe there need to be more activities and a better way of communicating upcoming events. Your college experience is what you make of it, I know friends who party every weekend and still manage to do well in school and those who study every weekend and do okay in academics. There can be more diversity, and the faculty 's support can be improved. There's a disconnection amongst students and faculty. I also think UC Merced should have more food options and franchises welcomed on campus. More school funded events. Majority of the reason students go out to house parties every weekend is that there is a lack of activities and things to do outside of studying. Their option is to turn to drugs. Merced, California has a drug problem because of the city's mal allocation of funds.

Arriana

UC Merced is a fairly new campus that is expanding. The class sizes are fairly small, which is great because it allows students to have more of a one to one connection with the professors. The professors are very friendly and always willing to help you out. The campus is not the biggest, but it is expected to double by 2020, so there is lots of construction going on. The dorms are great, and everything is pretty accessible. The campus itself is in the middle of no where, which can be a plus since there are no distractions leaving lots of room for studying and concentration. The con would be that if you live on campus, the weekends could be very frustrating as you will feel trapped, so it's important to make some sort of plans. Overall the campus is very safe and beautiful. I would recommend attending this University.

Gregory

First of all, many Californians have placed a slight bias against UC Merced. I, being a Californian, have shut away that bias. What many don’t realize is that the quality of other UCs are directly correlated to their budget, and their budget to their alumni. Whilst UC Berkley may profit from over six generations or so of alumni donating and adding to Berkley’s repertoire, UC Merced, a university almost half my age, does not have that privilege. Therefore, the overall quality of the school can not be completely determined as of yet. I can only offer my take on the current situation. On education, UCM has a very narrow, yet rich amount of courses. In other words, they have fewer courses than most public schools here, but have enough professors and TAs to adequately, if not proficiently, teach them. However, it may be noted that the advising offices are sorely understaffed and powerless to fully assist students. On housing and on campus amenities, it takes the cake. Ironically, its quite a small school, making most services no more than 10 minutes walk from any part of the campus. Food service is to bare minimum standard, as cases of food poisoning aren't seldom. The Yablakoff Dining Center won’t earn a Michelin star, but it’s priced as if it was. The housing situation is fair and balanced, having accomodated most freshman on campus, and most upperclassmen off campus in school run dorms. The only problem is that off campus housing requires transport, which comes either as the free bus rides provided with enrollment or with cars only allowed to be parked by non freshmen. The distance adds much to campus safety. No mugger, thief, or common criminal would have the gall to walk 5 miles minimum through farm country to attack a student, nor would they have the room to get away with it, as UC police play a keen role in safety. The social life in UCM is quite thin. There’re few frats or sororities compared to most colleges. Therefore, most parties are held by local teens. On top of that, Merced is a small town with few clubs and only recently getting shops and stores city dwellers take for granted. However, crime and poverty hit hard in some parts of Merced, leaving many students’ social lives back at home. All in all, UC Merced is a UC worth applying to. If you’re looking for a safe campus with thriving educational opportunities and can bare a few trade offs for it, University of California, Merced is that college on a hill.

Anjali

I am completely satisfied with what this school has to offer. The campus is extremely modern and has accessibility to a various amount of opportunities regarding jobs, foods, outside shops, etc. The classes are great and you feel as if you get a well-rounded education.

Raymond

I think the fact that it's a small school has its pros and cons. Professors are easily accessible and there are a lot of programs that wouldn't be able to exist in larger schools. However, it is also lacking a lot of organizations that exist in larger schools. Also, the city is so far away so transportation can be a nuisance. Additionally, there are times that you may not feel so welcome if you're not Hispanic.

Sofia

The University of California-Merced at the moment is small,but is growing. The culture isn't very diverse, but we have enough diversity to learn something new about each other. There is always a new face to meet, but it is also nice to see familiar ones once in a while. Being a small school isn't all that bad this survey does not define the school entirely. You cannot go form Point A to Point B on campus without saying "hi" to anyone which I like. Based off of the survey my rating is a 4 out of 5. I think it deserves more, but that is what was of asked me.

Kyley

I absolutely LOVE UC Merced. It is a fairly new university, which means new appliances and facilities. They are constantly building new dormitories, there is even a new dorm building opening this fall ! They are also working on a campus expansion called the Merced2020 project. This building will be the Center for Biomedical Science and will open the door for even more opportunities!

Victoria

I love UC Merced! It wasn't my first choice but I am glad to have chosen to come here. The community is very warm and welcoming. It's a very small and new campus so there are many opportunities here and this campus will with no doubt grow. I am very satisfied with my experience thus far.

Isabel

I like it. It is a very nice place and it has a lot of opportunities to offer to its students, it is just aa matter of the students going out to look for them.