Riverside, CA
University of California-Riverside

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of California-Riverside

Cathy

UCR was the right size campus, not too big and not too small. It was just the right distance from home for me, but far enough where I had to move out from home. There is a good variety of clubs and organizations available, and I reccommend that you join extracurriculars, they are a great way to meet people and de-stress from coursework.

The student body was pretty well rounded. It will be easy to find people you identify with.

Overall, UCR is a great school. The heat takes some time to get used to, but it's not unbearable.

When I attended UCR the classes weren't too big, so if you made an effort and attended your professors office hours you could really get to know them and them you.

I was part of Latinos in Science my Freshman and Sophmore years. It fun and interesting to be a part of this club because you were able to do some volunteer work and hang out with other club memebers. The club also attended the Latino Medical Student Association Conference at the time, which is very inforamative for pre-med students. I was also involved with Ballety Folklorico de UCR which help me continue to dance Folklroico though I was away from home. Its a great dance group to continue if you already know the basics and also a great way to get started. ASUCR also plan great concerts and activities.

Marshall

The school's size is just about perfect. The social opportunities are slim but are there. You must seek them out. Riverside (the city) is pretty much a dump, think "Reno 911!". Classes are pretty easy and standard.

Extremely liberal student body in general. Tons of Asians, really the school is primarily Asian regardless of whatever some statistics might say. The administration is VERY apathetic about the students and for the most part the students return the favor. There were rarely rallys, protests or "movements", and the ones that popped up were usually just the angry Mexicans from Mecha and they don't number too many.

If you are a dedicated science student, you can receive a tremendous education here with TONS of resources. If you are a graduation senior who squeaked in to this one UC, and you think that a business major might be the best option (its the easiest major), this may also be a good school for you as long as you can develop some self motivation (which is another uphill battle in Riverside). The smog and pollution in Riverside is horrendous and borders on Mexico City bad. The summers are truly painfully hot, expect 95ish degrees that feels like 195 because of the buttery rich smog you get to walk through. Find a place with great air conditioning. Rarely will you find a group of less attractive people (except maybe UCSD). UCR is the most racially diverse of the UC campuses and physical fitness is not a priority for most of those races. Students who would be encouraged to look, act and eat healthy at a place like USC generally succumb to appearance malaise.

Yes. Also, LOTS of students who could get in to NOWHERE except UCR.

The academics at UCR is really really really what you make of it, despite that being a ridiculous cliche. I will explain. At some private schools if you get behind or miss classes they will seek you out to help. At UCR a tremendous number of freshman are gone before the end of their first year, due to the apathy of the administration and the generally low admission standards (letting in students who don't really care about higher education). There are however a BILLION different great opportunities for dedicated students.

UCR is a commuter campus, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The campus and surrounding communities are deserted and devoid of socializing on the weekends. Parties mainly happen on Wednesday or Thursday nights. If you don't join the Fraternity/Sorority system you will have a four year uphill battle trying to meet new cool people.

Lots of Asians. Reasonably good eduction but clearly a second choice for those who couldn't get in to UCLA.

Jamie

The most Unique aspect about UCR is the racial diversity. And how everyone still seems to get along so well. And it's relatively affordable standard of living. Big Picture.. "UCR Icons" -the Belltower.. tell anyone to meet there, and they will all know. -the "C". I really wish I had taken advantage of this more.. One must hike to the C once during their UCR life.. but I wish I had made it a goal with a group of close friends to go once a month.. such a good work out!!! -Science Library and Rivera.. I personally liked Science more, it was cleaner, organized and newer. -Lot 30.. the infamous 'Disneyland parking lot'.. It's really not THAT far of a walk to campus.. but in comparison to how big the whole campus is.. I suppose I can see where that comes from. -Rite Aid on Big Springs.. That's where the sales for alcohol is.. every night you go there, even during the day, is a massive reunion of all the partiers in town.. socializing on what's 'happening tonight'.. getting their handle of Bacardi, Vodka, Captain Mo for the night.. along with some bags of Sunflower seeds.. and 40's (please lay low from that.. it's what got me massively fat) -Cask & Cleavers.. always happening on Thursday nights! Our most quaint memory is the whole bar singing to "Don't stop believing" by Journey played by the Piano man at Cask.. -Denny's on University... drunk food at 2 am -Del Taco. As tempting as it is to resort there in the middle of a study night.. that's how I gained my sophomore 30!!!!! -I loved running on the track outside the gym.. around the tennis courts..... 3 laps to a mile! -the Commons!! New restaurants have been built.. but it's the one stop shop for food! The best thing about UC Riverside is that most people that have newly arrived wonder how they'll survive their next 4 years of college in this boring, desert land.. Theres no ocean, there's no river (as implied in the name), no attraction in the city.. unlike the sister schools (UCLA, UCI, UCSD.. etc).. but the fact of the matter is.. ask any UCR Alum, they had more fun their 4 years of college there than anybody else in the other schools.. Ask most the UCSD alums, they will say that their years were incredibly boring.. yet they were given all the resources to make it the best.. the beach, the city, shopping, etc.. It's because when you're given not a lot.. it is human survival method to make the most of it.. as proven in the Neanderthals.. "Poverty stimulates one's wisdom" - of course an exaggeration but gets the point across. But the experience at UCR is one that could only be understood by an insider.. We'll call it 'California's best kept secret'.. Since I've been back to UCR, I know that they have built A LOT OF new buildings.. and i feel that the campus was just right in size.. one may get across the campus within 15 minutes tops! The College town around UCR is really what has made the city of Riverside boom in economics.. because past Chicago ave (which intersects University) is where the hookers and pimps start.. So word of advice: don't go roaming down there on your peds past 8 pm!!! but within the boundaries are beautifully built apts such as Sterling, Grand Marc.. at the University Village.. is AMC where classes are held during the day, a few restaurants.. a real real ghetto bar/club, not sure if it's still called BB, but definitely Cheap drinks..

UCR is incredibly diverse as I've previously mentioned. One may stay within their racial realm or branch out, either way there is a place to fit in. Many sororities/frats, clubs, although unspoken, are ethnic.. Asians, Hispanics, Africans.. It's a fantastic way to preserve one's culture. LGBT is definitely huge.. They also pass out free condoms if you need some at their office. Don't forget to check out a Vagina Monologue. People are really relaxed in their dress code at UCR.. it's incredibly hot and humid so theres no need to dress up and wear too much makeup as it will melt.. Just t shirt, shorts, flip flops.. 4 tables at the dining hall? -I would say there are a group of international students from China, and India (perhaps in their late 20's) discussing the advanced Business course they are taking, and how it can relate to their own country's economic growth.. Somewhat a small, friendly debate, in white and yellow polo shirts.. with more class, culture and poise than most other students. -A huge extended Greek section.. each sorority, fraternity in it's own group of 4 or 5, as their own members come and go in between class.. Although they try so tough to be separated from one another.. they can't help but be addicted to the gossip.. and to 'stay close to their frenemies'... and a random non-sorority groupie that is hopping from frat boy's lap to lap.. -A group of religiously, racially diverse- a Christian white man, a Muslim Girl, an Indian guy in his turban, 2 asian girls in Hello Kitty shirts, a white girl from Arizona, innocent freshman dorm-mates sharing their high school memories and what major they plan to take, and what organizations to join.. thats the great thing about college. -Sports table - soccer girls and the hot baseball players, in their gear, ready for the game. Politics: It seems as though more people at UCR are liberal than conservative.. but it also seems as though most people don't know much about politics, nor their own country..

VISIT THE Botanical Garden! It is a great place to go when one needs to unwind.. beautiful and really takes you away from the typical setting at UCR. Also, Victoria Garden in Rancho Cucamonga is a great place to go shopping and a nice getaway. PHO (vietnamese noodles) in Moreno Valley for hangover days!

You'll have to find out yourself.. It's really all perspectives right?

Most courses are rather small. Even the lectures will have about 300 at most.. In those situations, professors may not know your name. But I HIGHLY recommend you take the extra half hour every 2 weeks to attend office hours.. It is CRUCIAL to befriend your professors/TA.. not only for help on your schoolwork.. but also if you apply to grad school, or need letter of Recs.. you need that relationship. My favorite class was randomly chosen my first quarter of college "Cultural Anthropology" - Everybody take it!!!! It's what made me choose my major! My favorite professor of ALL TIME is Peter Graham.. he teaches Philosophy courses.. Do take a class from him even if that is not your major. Also, another GREAT professor/TA is.. I think her name is Alexa?? She teaches Religion courses.. absolutely the most eccentric, intelligent young individual you'll meet.. I feel that the academic requirements were fair. I think the education at UCR, or any university for that sakes.. is really geared at building a deeper foundation in individuals that wouldn't be earned elsewhere.. Depending on the career path one wishes to take.. it may or may not benefit them to have a college degree. But I can say from observation, 2 years out of college.. Those that have attended college, VS those that haven't.. regardless of their income now, are so much more open-minded and insightful than those that haven't (statistically speaking). It is due to the interactions students have in the dorms, living with, next to people they would have otherwise not befriended.. it's the random subjects you learn in courses you wouldn't have otherwise taken. In high school, they teach you basic a,b,c things that don't require much thinking/analyzing.. rather things to memorize, as in math, history, English.. But in college, one learns, analyzes and applies.

That UCR is a ghetto school, that there's nothing to do.. That they're party animals..

I'd definately say that the social life at UC Riverside is what keeps the students together, as well as entertained. At least I could speak on my end, as I was heavily involved in the social scene. Dorms freshman year: I lived in East Lothian which was hands down, the best dorms to live in if you want to meet people. Our doors in the dorm rooms remained open, we had talks in the hallway in the middle of the night with our hallmates.. hall activities. Going to the cafeteria to eat was sometimes the highlight of me and my friends day's. Either because we had been so busy study for midterms & writing papers, that that was the only time we could meet over some food. Other times, even if we weren't hungry, we'd go to the cafeteria just to chat and gossip. Greek Life: I recommend anyone that wants to become active to join a fraternity/sorority, whether is it Greek or non-greek, or business, all will equally keep you occupied. It really depends on which group you clique with the best.. but Greek life gives you the option to always have something to do.. 6 years ago when I first came to town, I believe the Greek Life was more lively as there were more frat houses.. now it seems there are no official ones.. just houses.. Spring Splash, on campus $10 Concerts: Take advantage of them!!! Usualy the concerts are 10$ with the student card and have had some pretty big names there.. Xzibit, 112, SNoop, Yellowcard, Jurassic 5... Dating Scene: The social circle is quite small, and population as a whole at UCR is rather small.. So word gets out fast.. if you're a private person, better to not date too much on campus.. Gossip is huge as there is not much else to do but for people to gossip.. Thats a big thing to watch out for.. everything and any rumors possible can and will be made up.. so prepare! Party Scene: Every night people are partying, mostly at houses, dorms or apartments.. People learn to hustle and eventually master procrastination.. as horrible as that is.. but unless you're in the Bio-med program.. it's not an incredibly difficult school to do well in classes, if you have somewhat of a brain.. Not to say that is a bad thing.. esp if you plan to apply to grad school.. land at least a 3.5 gpa, and you're good to go. Weekends: There are not a lot of people left from friday-sunday.. mainly because half the people are locals.. or they'll drive 45 min to go to Orange County or San Diego to visit friends.. but many of the students from Nor Cal may be in town. Sports teams: Baseball team was pretty good when I was there, not sure how they are now. The soccer team was pretty good as well. The unfortunate thing about UCR is that there is no football team, nor do we know if they'll ever build one. There are many dance troupes which are highly renown such as 909 to join.. or even to just go and watch at their events. There are also a lot of activities I wish I had researched about, such as on campus plays, etc.

Ryan

Hands down, the best thing about UC Riverside is the diversity of the student population and the faculty. You can find people from all different ethnicities and races, which in my opinion, makes us all a little more well-rounded and understanding. The size of the campus is also very awesome. It is not too big, but not small either. It is just right. Also, Riverside is a very exciting upbeat urban city. However, as soon as you step onto the university campus, you feel like you are in a totally different place, everything is calm and quaint. You have the best of both worlds.

The diversity in the student body at UCR is awesome!! When I started going to UCR, I did not know what to expect however, I now have lots of friends springing from different racial, cultural and religous backgrounds. In fact, UCR is one of the most diverse universities in the country! And everyone hangs out with everyone else. At least in my expiriences, I have not had any prejudicies or discrimination put against me, which is something that I am really happy about. Most UCR students are from all over California, most being commuters. However, we also have a wide variety of international and out of state students.

UCR is pretty much close to everything. We have the mountains super close to us, and the ocean is like about an hour away. Everything is pretty much accessible and it makes the UCR expirience that much more fun.

These stereotypes are absolutely not true. UC Riverside is a great school with a great faculty. And at least in my expirience, UC Riverside was my number one choice when I was applying to college

Faculty at UCR is awsome. While classes are somewhat big, they tend to be smaller than other universities and the faculty is always ready and willing to help. If anyone is interested in History, they should definately check out the history department at UCR. It is a small department, but the faculty is very involved with their students. In fact, they even give out awards to the students at the end of the year and have a end of the year History party! Classes at UCR are really unique and interesting. So far, the most interesting class I have taken in Juvenile delinquency. And as for the conversations that students have, what we learn transfers over from the class room to places like the commons.

Some stereotypes are that all kids who go to UCR only go there here because they got rejected by all the other UC's.

Definately, if you like dancing, you have to check out the hip-hop team "909". They dance amazing. We have homecoming each year, with awesome artists performing. Last year, it was Lupe Fiasco and others. For the yearly spring spalsh, we also have concert-esque performances. This years performances included "The Pack" and "Bone Thugs n Harmony". A lot of people attend these events so its really easy to meet new people, which is a big part of going to college in the first place. Also, frats and sororities at UCR are a BIG deal. There are always activities being done by the greek system at UCR.

Robert

The school is huge. Meaning that the admittance rate is very high, and that the student body is growing significantly every year. The school is very open about the fact that it is trying to greatly increase the number of students attending. I feel that UCR offers some sort of respect for those of us in the engineering and biological sciences fields, UCR has some distinguished professors in these fields. The undergraduate research opportunities at UCR are also very available and although the student body is large, the professors are very available as well. Riverside is definitely not a college town whatsoever. Riverside does have a nightlife scene, and their are very active fraternities and sororities on campus. Overall though the city of Riverside and the surrounding area of the University does not have any appearance of what most would consider a college town. In fact the area surrounding the school is very crime ridden, and should be avoided late at night.

I feel that UCR is predominantly middle to upper class Asian students. UCR stresses diversity(to an almost annoying degree) and does have a very diverse student body. Students are most likely liberal, and there is a strong LGBT community on campus. Students are not particularly politically aware.

UCR is a University with some strong engineering and math professor, if you make the choice to learn, you will learn a lot, most likely as much as you would have learned at a more prestigious University. If you are seeking a University with a very active campus life, and an active academic community then this may not be the school for you. There are definitely some very poor professors thrown in amongst the very strong ones available, so be careful. It is not a rare occurrence for two of the same courses simultaneously where one professor is incredibly easy(to a fault), and the other much harder(and better) due to this very fact. UCR is not academically competitive and it should be relatively easy to maintain a very high GPA for anyone willing to put in modest effort.

For the most part yes. The student body is made up of at least 60 percent people who match that exact description. The majority of students who come from the "Bay Area" who were unable to get into Davis fit that description well, but there are a lot of local students who are very intelligent and hard working who attend this school due to geographic convenience, as well as scholarship assistance.

The professors at UCR are for the most part strong. The engineering professors are very open to undergraduate research opportunities, and are willing to serve as mentors to their student. The Academics in general at UCR are poor. The student body for the most part is very lazy, and cheating on homework is commonplace. The student body has a dual hump shaped distribution with students either being very intelligent and hard working, or very lazy and sometimes unintelligent. Some science classes attract more of the first type of student, and are very competitive, other humanities coursework may not be as competitive.

Stereotypes about UCR students are that they were unable to get into a better UC and were therefore forced to enroll at UCR. Which means that the stereotype would be that UCR's student body is lazier and less intelligent than the student body at other UC's.

Ryan

The school has changed much since I was there, but the commons (at least the old ones) were awesome to take a nap in. There were so many research opportunities..just ASK! There is an edge of antisemitism that exists on campus though.

As mentioned before, antisemitism was growing when I was there. Other than that, it was a pretty eclectic bunch.

In all, I didn't exactly relish my experience there, but I did my friends. Its what you make of it.

Well..Riverside can be pretty lame on occasion. As for academic standings, UC Riverside has some of the most amazing chemistry, biochemistry and entomology professors in the world. UC Riverside consistently has more AAAS professors then many large name schools (Stanford, Cal, etc..).

Most professors in the lower division classes will have no idea who you are, but the TAs were pretty good about being personable. The goal is to be familiar with your professors because they will help you out and often offer ways to bring up your grade if you simply ask. The best class I took was Parasitology with Dr. Platzer, its the only undergrad class that involves vertebrate testing. I thought Dr. Luben was the best Biochem professor.

I enjoyed the nooners when they actually went on, the block party was also okay. I thought the frats and sororities were sad, constantly being brought up on drug and alcohol charges.

That we're subpar students, that Riverside is the black hole of California.

Skylar

The school seems rather small when compared to other UC campuses like Los Angeles, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I got to know many of the people I repeatedly took classes with, this may not have been possible with a larger student body and more people in my department. The familiarity allowed me to form long lasting and productive study groups. There isn't a very active student body on the campus itself, due party to the fact that its a commuter school.

Is the most diverse I've been a part of. I made friends with students from almost every background imaginable.

It was a very rewarding experience. Even now that I'm in law school I still go back to visit with friends and professors.

When you pick an area of emphasis and take as many classes as you possible can in that area the academic experience is awesome and worth the relatively low price of a UC Riverside eduction. Meeting a professor or other faculty member who sparks your interest in a subject or area is the best thing you can do, and one that's likely at a smaller school like UC Riverside, because they're always available to help you with the next step...i.e. individual research, internships, grad/professional school...etc.

Are non-existent to those who fail to seek them out. On the other hand, if you're the type of student who would rather complete his/her degree with minimal distractions then UC Riverside may be just the right school for you.

That UC Riverside is where those students who were rejected from other UC's and other "first choice" schools end up.

Reese

No I do not think that any of these stereotypes are true.

No I do not think that any of these stereotypes are true.

One major stereotype is that the school is boring and so are the students. Also, UC Riverside is not considered as a prestigace school by many other california schools such as USC.

The best thing about UC Riverside is that it isn't stuck up. It is a big campus that feels small, because the people are down to earth and friendly.

No! The Humanities Division has some great programs, and there are lots of campus and community based events. Lots of the students who go to UCR actually prefer it to other campuses they were accepted to.

The stereotype is that the school is boring and entirely science oriented. The stereotype about the students is that they all wanted to go to other UC schools but couldn't get in.

I really enjoyed my time at ucr. The school is medium sized, which means you have the benefits of a large school, while still being able to actually meet your profs. Every prof in my department new my name even if I had never had a class with them. Right around ucr riverside is a college town, but in the main part of riverside the college is not that much of a focus. I was lucky to be in a small department, which I love, but that also meant that I got to know the department secretary so the administration issues really don't apply to me. all in all I really enjoyed UCR.

ucr has a very diverse student body. i think any student would feel at home here. most students wear jeans and a t-shirt to class. it is very casual. the fraternities and sororities basically hang out together, but it is not that big of a deal. money doesn't seem like too much of an issue.

not at all. when the school was started it was an ag school, but now it has expanded to so much more.

I loved the academics a ucr. the professors did know my name for the classes in my major. That would not be the case in the huge intro classes. My favorite class was an upper division class on the Andes and the various ethnographies about that area. there were only 15 people in the class and half were grad students. i loved it. i worked really hard, but it was worth it.

there are lots of clubs on campus. I was part of the anthropology club. it was really fun. As for the dorms, I wasn't much of a dorm person. after my first quarter I felt I had had the dorm experience and was ready to have my own place. there were dorm activities, but I didn't participate in them. the on campus apartments are great. As for sporting events, theater and guest speakers, there are many and it really depends on the your friends if they will be popular with them. There are a couple huge student wide parties that happen each year. one is in the fall and the other is in the spring. they are very fun and most students attend. they usually have live bands that play. its really fun.

University of California-Riverside administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.