University of California-Riverside

« See more reviews of University of California-Riverside

I had never even seen UCR before I submitted my Intent to Register (SIR). With that being said, I only saw the school through Google Images or through the campus website. But once you step onto the campus, you see how unique it truly is! I know I keep saying it over & over, but it truly is so strikingly diverse. Everywhere you look there's a different ethnicity being represented, which is much different than any other UC. The weather here is always nice, so the sun is shining on nearly every part of campus. It's fairly small compared to other UCs. The HUB (Highlander Union Building) is in the center of campus, and is home to many restaurants, offices, coffee shops, even a cupcake store! Just past the HUB is the Bell Tower, a 161-foot mammoth that rings at the top of of every hour. The Bell Tower lights up at night, creating a romantic and comforting scene. In nearly every direction of the Bell Tower, you'll find a lecture hall or library. UCR is lush with pathways and trees, and I try and take a different route each day so I can take it all in! There are also dozens of directories all over campus, so you needn't worry about getting lost.

UC Riverside is bordered by citrus orchards, and the greenery continues onto campus. Most of campus has recently been remodeled, and the brick-and-glass buildings are easy to navigate and state of the art. The Belltower stands proudly in the center of the campus, and is adjacent to the Highlander Union Building, or the HUB. This aptly named building is the "hustle and bustle" of UCR, housing tons of food options and offices. Outside, there is a large outdoor seating area with umbrellas and trees where you can enjoy your Coffee Bean latte. The campus is large enough that it takes about ten to fifteen minutes to walk to a far class, but not so large that you'll get hitchhiker calves. I love how green the campus is, and all the seating areas where we can study in the sun.

Confusing and filled with mismatched buildings like the great purple beast that is the arts building. There are a few that are brick to match each other, but the ones just distant of them are not. Some of the buildings have the classes spread out with comfortable rolling chairs, others have chairs attached to desks in halls that feel more like a high school. The walkways are nice and wide with plenty of trees between segments. The buildings are spread far enough away that they feel distant without actually being so. You'll generally find the people walking between the arts and interdisciplinary buildings, in the commons, and out of the science buildings.

UCR is in essence, one giant circle. When exiting the freeway on university one side present the University Village which is a popular hang out to study, eat, or see a movie, and the other presents the university. There are numerous sports fields, and the dorms on the outer perimeter. When coming into the actual campus one is encountered with calm and beautiful citrus trees and green stretches of grass. The architecture is pleasing to the eye, and you can always find your way to the center by looking for the enormous belltower that sits in the middle of campus next to the HUB.

All the school cares about is the money they are going to receive. They do not care if you find your classes or not. They do not have good instructors. In class the instructions beg the students to ask questions. When students start asking questions, the instructors circle around the question and the question does not get answered. They do not inform the students how many classes we have to take after we finish our placement test. Some students take 17 units and only receive credit for 13 units as their first year as freshmen. Plus, instructors frequently incorrectly grade.

The campus is gracefully sized, it is small and well laid out. The instructors are very straight forward when it involves their classwork and exams. Many research opportunities available for any student here seeking such a position. This school makes students feel at home; they setup activities and events to gather all the students together and enjoy their time! For any student who is seeking any certain career(s) in their life, this school has the classes and resources in doing so. It is a safe campus and it truly is an amazing university for anyone to study!

UCR is covered in citrus trees, with luscious greenery, and modern, attractive buildings. What is most easily observable about the campus is the famous campus landmark, the bell tower. It is a tall, slender white tower that houses a nostalgic clock at the very top. Located in the central part of the campus, it can be seen from almost any point within the 1,200 acres. The arts building is most unique: an asymmetrical, dark, blockish building that is outstretched and is a brownish, eggplant in color. Overall, the campus has a natural, cozy, nostalgic feel.

It is a small school with very little resources and advisors that are discouraging. The class sizes are small and one can attend office hours for extra help; although for the most part the TA's are incompetent and the teachers undecipherable. The atmosphere is calm and there are very little social activities within or outside of the school. It is claustrophobic for anyone who maybe liberal with independent mind sets, and there is absolutely no room for intellictual growth ( it's all by the book).

The first thing I noticed about UC Riverside, after seeing schools like UCLA and USC is that it was a smaller campus. However it is definitely a quaint setting. The students are all friendly when you get here from high school, they embrace pointing you to where you need to go and helping you if you're new. The places like the bell-tower and HUB are always buzzing and it is just a pleasant place to be. The bell-tower is like the epicenter and can always catch your attention.

when i make it to UC Riverside i was very happy and feel good to visit campuse on my summer, also UC Riverside is way better than High School because in High School there are people who do not care about their education but when i get to UC Riverside there are all student that want higher education like i do; the school is very big and there are a lot of class but on my first day i was confused which class i need to go, but after all you get use to it and very joinable.