University of California-Riverside

« See more reviews of University of California-Riverside

Many do commute here and while we do accept many of those who apply, diversity is not just a word you read in a book at UCR-which is great in my opinion. I had this school only as a backup, but they offered me a scholarship and I went with it and I have no regrets, many in the honors program and top campus students are on scholarship so apply as a backup and see what they offer you, and for those that are more state school or CC oriented, this school is very welcoming to transfers and some who might not otherwise make UC grade. Quality greatly depends on the department, so I say visit and talk to some students is always the best way to know if it is right or not for you. 50% commute and even more go home for weekends as most live near by, so that means best parties are always Thursday. But given the LRDP(Long Range Development Plan) there will be massive building and expansion, already underway, to make the campus have 70% residents and not commuters-so calculate that into any decision. UCR is a good school I have had classes on study abroad and at summer sessions elsewhere and they are on par with any school in the US but again departments vary as it is with all schools.

I wouldn't say that our stereotype is accurate. Because UC Riverside is a newer UC and accepts the majority of applicants, many outsiders consider it a "backup UC" or a "last-choice" college. This is absolutely untrue. One of my best friends was accepted into UCLA, but chose UCR because of its stellar Creative Writing program. Another friend was accepted to NYU, but he chose to attend UCR because of our great financial aid. There are thousands of bright minds at UC Riverside, each one eager to learn and grow. Every major is challenging, and there are no "easy" courses. As for the students themselves, they all want to achieve their highest potential and strive to make these dreams a reality. My roommate and I are both double-majors, and we push ourselves harder every day. If you've ever heard anything negative about UCR, I can certainly tell you that it is untrue and the best way to experience this school is to attend it!

Mostly, but they are not as impossible to live with as it seems. UCR is, for now, the "catch-all" school, but because of it, it attracts a wide variety of interesting people. People who are not just workaholic over achievers, but intelligent yet flawed people. Everyone has an excuse, it seems. Yeah, it's not the most beautiful school either, largely because of all the construction that never seems to end. But construction means in a decade it will be a really good looking university. Until then, we deal with the big fenced holes that are created and cleaned up within half a year. Despite accepting so many students, that doesn't mean all the dumb ones are at UCR. I've met some really amazing, intelligent people at UCR. There are unique artists, giant personalities, and profound intellectuals. You can't judge a student body by it's acceptance rate.

Yes and no. It is hot (half the year and smoggy). It may not be as prestigious as UCLA or UCSD, but I would stress that it is comparable to all other UC programs. Although it has been deemed the "UC of Opportunity," it is by no means easy. One can always find a major and coursework that is intellectually strenuous (i.e. any of the sciences, engineering, or economics). If you wish to simply have fun, go to any university and study something that requires little effort (sociology, psychology, or ethnic studies).

If the University of California system wide mandated its students across all campuses to take an IQ test, the average Riverside score would be a very dismal outlier when graphed in comparison to the average scores of other campuses. I give you one guess as to which direction the outlier will be found...unless you're a typical UCR student, in which cases you may need more than one guess. There are only a small handful of students who turned down offers from better universities just because UCR bribed them.

It depends what kind of "fun" scene you're looking for. Yeah there aren't really that many great clubs out here, but 1. hollywood is 35-40 mins away. 2. not everyone on campus wants to get smashed every week. If you are looking for things to do, there are plenty of shopping centers in every directions and even a right down the street in the University Village. Honestly, I wonder how many people on campus even realize we have a Billiards Hall complete with wet bar because they never bothered to look.

Not completely, there is usually something to do every week if not everyday on the campus and even within the outside community there are different restuarants, museums, and other things to get into. Though Riverside is not a college town like Berkeley, it is right in the middle of LA and San Diego. The only not so great thing I will say is that it is a little difficult getting to those places without a car; however, the transit system continues to improve And students get to ride it for free.

Not at all. The stereotype that the students at UCR are not as smart or as capable as students at other universities are just not true. Like any other university there are students who don't put the time in and are unmotivated, that is true. UC Riverside is packed with students however who are just as smart, perform just as well, and very simply get the job done as well as anyone. Spending time with the campus community teaches that quickly.

For the most part yes. The student body is made up of at least 60 percent people who match that exact description. The majority of students who come from the "Bay Area" who were unable to get into Davis fit that description well, but there are a lot of local students who are very intelligent and hard working who attend this school due to geographic convenience, as well as scholarship assistance.

These stereotypes are somewhat accurate. Yeah, many people do tend to slack off since they think that they could pass their courses easily. But there are many students who try really hard to get good grades throughout all 4 years of their college career here at UCR so they could put it in their resume of outstanding academic performance in the future.